Manta soft open today!

Manta easily trumps SUF. I went to Six Flags GA a few months ago and I did Manta yesterday. Manta is longer and has way better inversions and loops than SUF.

Rode it 2x today.

WOW

It's a pretty good coaster. It's not extreme at all. Just a different view of everything. It did have a minor technical issue, they sent out a empty coasters quite a few times. The aquarium is not open, but there you can see the ray tanks through the queue.

It's a real fun ride.

I have to disagree with a couple of posts! Just rode manta twice today and compared to coasters like air, this ride is extreme. The pretzel loop on your back is pretty scary!!

Air is totally different kind of coaster in terms of scare factor.

After we got off manta me and dw were films by busch PR and were told will be on a promo video for it's official launch TOMORROW! His words not mine. 22nd may seems history now! He gave us two onride photos free :)

so is it open to anyone to ride? What does soft open mean? We are there 5/16 -5/23 but planned sw for first day and mid week- will we be able to ride?

so is it open to anyone to ride? What does soft open mean? We are there 5/16 -5/23 but planned sw for first day and mid week- will we be able to ride?

JM:

The official soft opening is tomorrow, 05/05, but from previous posts I've learned SW has had the ride open already, starting Saturday, at different times. Tomorrow it's supposed to be open officially at noon, but I'll be at the park at opening with the hope they'll let people on before that time.

You'll be able to ride the first day you're here. The official opening is 05/22, I suppose with all of the fanfare.

Strange question...... I've done both universal in the states, magic mountain, over Georgia, knotts berry, busch Tampa, vegas if that counts......

Plenty more but I can't think!!

Rode it on Saturday, the first day it was open to the public. Queues of only 10 minutes each time. It is 10 Million times better than Air at Alton Towers. The forces are unlike anything I've ever experienced. The queue area is amazing, with loads of huge underwater aquarium views, including a full size manta in one of them. The ride is amazing, you'll all love it. And the ride photos come out really well, I naturally purchased one.

Manta easily trumps SUF. I went to Six Flags GA a few months ago and I did Manta yesterday. Manta is longer and has way better inversions and loops than SUF.

:woohoo: Yes!!! I did now notice that Manta is a little longer. The loop seems to be similar on both rides but Manta has those beautiful zero-g rolls. Can't wait to ride this baby! Looking foward to the queue too. :woohoo:

I rode it today, 05/05. I give it 8/10. The G force at the bottom of the pretzel roll (on your back) is much too intense. Coaster enthusiasts have to get away from using G forces as a measure of coaster excellence. The ride isn't enjoyable when you're close to passing out, or if you actually do pass out.

The line had great viewing--lots of sea life, and not just rays. The wait was 25 minutes even though the sign said 40. There is a single-rider line, but you have to go halfway into the line before you split off from standard riders.

The seat locking mechanism (like a deadbolt) is quite secure, as it should be. Operators check you out thoroughly. A weird and loud noise comes out of the speakers when you're put into prone position. I think it's unnecessary.

I originally thought that the splash towards the end of the ride would be caused by the coaster itself, a sort of water brake like with ShieKra at BG. It turns out that the splash wave is created by underwater jets, and the timing is a bit off--the splash is created well before the train comes over the water. Timing needs to be adjusted.

Finally, people need to be aware that they will lose any unsecured articles. While standing at the bottom of the pretzel loop, one or more riders on the train above me lost change--it rained down on me. I also saw an i-phone on the rocks on the other side of the fence--no doubt having fallen from a rider's pocket and destroyed.

We found the pretzel roll to be the best part of the whole amazing ride. The forces are intense, and so different, that's what makes it great. The force wasn't enough to have people near to passing out though. And on Saturday, the water jets were perfectly in synch with the ride. Maybe a little glitch has crept in there- after all, that's what these soft openings are for, to iron out any minor problems.

Has anyone had any problems with motion sickness on this one?!!! I'm fine on coasters where you are sat (Rock nRoller, Gwazi, etc) but get queasy on ones where you are dangling under the track (Dueling Dragons!!!).
Debsx:rotfl:

Has anyone had any problems with motion sickness on this one?!!! I'm fine on coasters where you are sat (Rock nRoller, Gwazi, etc) but get queasy on ones where you are dangling under the track (Dueling Dragons!!!).
Debsx:rotfl:

What gives you the queasy feeling on hanging coasters?

Ill say this, the forces during the corkscrews are way different then you would feel on a hanging coaster (Dueling Dragons, Montu). On manta, there is almost no force on your body when it rolls over.

Sit on the right side the first time and make your way over to the left if you like it. The left rear is a very fast ride.

This is absolutely the best coaster in Orlando at this point.

What gives you the queasy feeling on hanging coasters? Ill say this, the forces during the corkscrews are way different then you would feel on a hanging coaster (Dueling Dragons, Montu). On manta, there is almost no force on your body when it rolls over. Sit on the right side the first time and make your way over to the left if you like it. The left rear is a very fast ride. This is absolutely the best coaster in Orlando at this point.
Until we see how good the new Universal coaster is, I totally agree with you.

I didn't see a height requirement on the Sea World site? Does anyone remember? Probably single rider for me and DH. DD9 will probably be chicken.

Thanks guys.....I don't know what it is about 'hanging' coasters that makes me queasy, all I know is that when I came off of Duelling dragons I felt very unwell for quite some time!!! ha! ha!

How does Manta compare to Kraken?!
Debsx:goodvibes

I was pleasantly surprised on May 4th when I saw people riding on Manta. My family and I were up in the Sky Tower when I noticed the cars running around the track. I thought I noticed some feet on the cars! So we immediately ran over after the Sky Tower ride to check it out. The young man at the ride entrance did not seem to know too much about the ride... I had asked him about single rider lines... he had no idea what I was talking about. Anyway... the wait was cool as you can view the aquariums while in line. They also have 2 water fountains at the beginning of the line in case you are thirsty! :rotfl: I was looking for the restrooms, too... but I guess you'll have to hold it if you drink too much water :rolleyes1 It took about 30 minutes to get through the line for me.

This was my first time riding one of the new coasters that positions your body on your stomach. I even got to ride up front! Very smooth ride... I was impressed with the G force through the turns. Unfortunately, my particular ride had a technical problem. As we were coming into the station to unload, the ride stopped about 15 feet short. This is usually normal... but this time we could see the main operator shaking his head, picking up a clip board, and looking confused as to what happened. It took about 10 minutes for them to figure out the issue and get us out of the car. It was 10 excruciating minutes in that laying position... especially where the bars hold your shins in place.

Note: They do issue child swap passes for your spouse/significant other in case you have kids not tall enough to ride. You have to ask one of the team members at the end of the ride for one (the team member will be in the station just before you exit the station).

I will definitely ride this coaster again when I visit Sea World in the future! A+

Thanks guys.....I don't know what it is about 'hanging' coasters that makes me queasy, all I know is that when I came off of Duelling dragons I felt very unwell for quite some time!!! ha! ha! How does Manta compare to Kraken?! Debsx:goodvibes
It's a totally different experience to Kraken. Better, in my opinion, but maybe my judgment is clouded by the newness and novelty of it.

I rode it on Sunday, 5/3, then again yesterday, 5/6. The first time the sign said 15 minutes and it took 45, yesterday it said 20 minutes and it took 55. I think if they get the kinks worked out, the loading process will go well, with two different sides to load and unload. Unfortunately, the loading process went really badly both times I rode, with one side having problems the first time and not going at all the second time. Also, they spent a lot of time making sure people secured or left behind their loose items once they were already in the restraints. It seems like they could do a better job of checking this before people get in line.

Perhaps because of the frustration with the loading process or the crazy hot heat this week, I really didn’t enjoy the ride as much as I expected. From the outside, the coaster is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, with all the landscaping and water features, but I didn’t feel like I could appreciate it on the ride. I didn’t care much for that first inversion. Both times I started choking and had trouble catching my breath when I was upside down on my back. I don’t remember experiencing that sensation on a coaster before, even when I rode SUF at SFOG and SFGA, but it’s been a few years since I rode those. I thought the barrel rolls got kind of monotonous. My favorite part was going up the lift hill and waving to the people down below.

On the plus side, the queue was nice, with lots of rays and fish. So if you get stuck in a long line, at least you’ll have something to look at. And the splashdown effect was kind of neat, though it is harder to appreciate when you’re on it. Personally, I still think Kraken is a much better ride, but all coaster enthusiasts should ride and form their own opinion. Coaster chickens should stay away; I think this would be considered scary by anyone who has a fear of heights or coasters and it was definitely intense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter