Manta soft open today!

I rode it on Sunday, 5/3, then again yesterday, 5/6. The first time the sign said 15 minutes and it took 45, yesterday it said 20 minutes and it took 55. I think if they get the kinks worked out, the loading process will go well, with two different sides to load and unload. Unfortunately, the loading process went really badly both times I rode, with one side having problems the first time and not going at all the second time. Also, they spent a lot of time making sure people secured or left behind their loose items once they were already in the restraints. It seems like they could do a better job of checking this before people get in line.

Perhaps because of the frustration with the loading process or the crazy hot heat this week, I really didn’t enjoy the ride as much as I expected. From the outside, the coaster is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, with all the landscaping and water features, but I didn’t feel like I could appreciate it on the ride. I didn’t care much for that first inversion. Both times I started choking and had trouble catching my breath when I was upside down on my back. I don’t remember experiencing that sensation on a coaster before, even when I rode SUF at SFOG and SFGA, but it’s been a few years since I rode those. I thought the barrel rolls got kind of monotonous. My favorite part was going up the lift hill and waving to the people down below.

On the plus side, the queue was nice, with lots of rays and fish. So if you get stuck in a long line, at least you’ll have something to look at. And the splashdown effect was kind of neat, though it is harder to appreciate when you’re on it. Personally, I still think Kraken is a much better ride, but all coaster enthusiasts should ride and form their own opinion. Coaster chickens should stay away; I think this would be considered scary by anyone who has a fear of heights or coasters and it was definitely intense.

I am a coaster chicken, however I managed to do RcnRC at Disney and Everest with no problems. I was humming and hawing about perhaps trying this, but You just clinched my decision to not do it with the descriptions of the inversions and feelings of the forces on your body. I am wondering though, is Kraken a really scary coaster? or would it be a coaster that most would enjoy? Remember, I am very leary to try new rides, but once I tried the two at Disney, I did enjoy them. Now all I have to do is get up the guts to try Tower of Terror, and I've done all the Disney stuff.... That's still a on-again, off-again debate at this point though since I am such a scaredy cat! :scared1: What are your thoughts on Kraken for someone who is a little leary?

I had the opportunity as a single rider today on Manta to meet with another single rider in the early evening. This guy was a fountain of information about the coaster, the Bollinger and Mabillard co in Switzerland, why Manta couldn't actually touch the water, etc. He even wore a B&M cap and shirt. And I thought I was an expert with roller coasters. We happened to be placed in the back row, and he explained how the G forces were greater on that row. He was correct.

It's always nice to meet up with other locals, especially those who are so knowledgeable about coasters.

The end of the soft opening was scheduled for Sunday, but I've heard that it will continue 'till next week. Anyone knows if this is true?

Chimo2u, it doesn’t seem like you’re exactly a coaster chicken if you did RnRC and EE without problems. Some people are freaked out by Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. I have problems with EE when it goes backwards. I start graying out unless I ride in the very front. And maybe it’s just going backwards that really bothers me, so that part is what bothered me on Manta. People are different. Of the coasters I’ve ridden, I’d be hard pressed to think of one that’s more intense than Manta. I’d hate for you to sit Manta out based on my opinion if you have had good experiences on other coasters. I did say to DH after the ride that anyone in doubt should sit it out, so that probably is the right decision for you, at least maybe until you conquer a few more rides. On the other hand, if you can handle Manta, you’ll probably be able to conquer anything.

Kraken is now my very favorite coaster. (It was Hulk at IOA, but after riding that again today, I now like Kraken better.) I don’t think Kraken is as scary as Manta, because on Kraken you can see where you’re going, whereas on Manta, you’re mostly facing down so it’s hard to see what’s coming up. Kraken is very smooth, but it has seven inversions. I like inversions, other than that first one on Manta. If you don’t like inversions, you won’t like Kraken. The lift hill on Kraken seems pretty high too. There are taller coasters, but I think you are more aware of the height because the coaster is floorless and you can see so well. I love going up high so I can see some of the Disney icons like Spaceship Earth. A person with fear of heights might not be so amused. If you decide to try Kraken, ride in the first couple of rows. You’ll get fewer G’s there. I get a bit dizzy and queasy in the back. If you like Kraken, then you could consider trying Manta. Unlike Disney coasters, which are mostly hidden, Manta and Kraken are out in the open so you can see what you’re getting yourself into. That may or may not be a good thing if big rides scare you.

Debs Hill, I too sometimes get queasy on Dueling Dragons, but I did not get sick on Manta. I had that weird choking sensation when going head first on my back, but it wasn’t throwing up choking, it was catching my breath choking. I rode in the front half of the train both times. I think it could be worse in the back. By the way, is it a big holiday time in England right now? Brits are way outnumbering us Americans in Orlando this week. Not that I mind. You all are generally a pretty friendly bunch and I’m glad someone is stimulating the American economy.

Hello everyone.. I am new to the forums & have a question that I hope you can answer for me.... I am planning a trip to Orlando this weekend (May 15th-17th). I know that the 'Manta' coaster has undergone its soft opening, but I heard somewhere that the soft opening will only last the 5th-10th..

I wanna know, is this true.. or when (or if) I go the weekend of the 15th.. Will the 'Manta' be open to ride? I really need to know, because if not I will wait until next weekend.. Please answer ASAP.

Manta rockit, when we were there last Sunday, Manta was initially only open for the people who helped build it and their guests. After asking once per hour all morning if Manta would open to the public that day, I finally asked the poor guy who had the job of turning us all away if I called customer service later that week if they could tell me if Manta would be open that day. He said "probably". They opened it to the general public that afternoon, so I didn't need to call. But it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. You might get a non-commital answer, but it's worth a shot. Even though I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I had hoped, I would have been bummed if I didn't get to ride. It is a beautiful coaster and it is right in the front of the park, so it was taunting us all Sunday morning, much the way the unfinished HRRR at Universal has been taunting us the last couple of days. That one looks great!

Mom2, they had something on the Orlando news about the great deals at the Orlando parks for UK visitors. Sounded even better than the deals I got. It does seem like many of the UK visitors either have no children or very young children, not school age kids. Anyway, I'll take the Brits over the American middle school groups that filled the parks Friday. :scared1:

For us, the Netherlands, most of the schools had a two week holiday, they go back to school tommorow. That's why we were in Orlando.

Manta was one of our highlights of this trip. :)

Hello everyone.. I am new to the forums & have a question that I hope you can answer for me.... I am planning a trip to Orlando this weekend (May 15th-17th). I know that the 'Manta' coaster has undergone its soft opening, but I heard somewhere that the soft opening will only last the 5th-10th..

I wanna know, is this true.. or when (or if) I go the weekend of the 15th.. Will the 'Manta' be open to ride? I really need to know, because if not I will wait until next weekend.. Please answer ASAP.

:welcome:

Just like sleepygirl said, I would probably just call. In most cases you will get somebody who knows, if not, ask to speak with a manager, they're very helpful. Hope this helps and pass the info on to us ok? Have fun on your trip. :)

ii Got The Chance To Ride It 2Times & The Most Ive Qued Up Was 15Mins. If You Like Coasters Defo Doing. Im A Huge Adrenaline Junkie & Have Been On Many Coasters But Nothing Compares To This. Well Done Seaworld For Opening Up A Fantastic Coaster :cool1: x

Does any one have any how well the ride will handle larger guests. Does it seem more or less restrictive than the big seats on DD, Montu, Hulk, Etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter