Many Awful Reviews About AKV-K ??

Sparrow'sLady

Mouseketeer
I was out on a popular vacation review website. There was one bad review after another saying that AKV, and in particular the Kidani side, has really gone downhill, is in worse condition than the AllStars, needs a refurb and the rooms are dirty and worn down.

I know people are quick to complain and slow to compliment. However, I want to ask...is that the reality of AKV-K now? Is that what I have to "look forward to"? Just wondering if I should switch DVC resort?

EDIT TO ADD:

Many of the reviews were from people who claimed to be owners, but used their points for AKV instead of their home resort. In addition to that, quite a few of the reviews said they did a split stay and Bay Lake, Boardwalk, VGF, BC, etc were wonderful, but they were disappointed in AKV. There were definitely reviews from people who rented points through a service (online rental store) and most likely had some different expectations.

I used to own at AKV. For 10 years. Sold it in 2020. Last visit was 2019 (December). Just wanted to throw that in there to clarify that I am very aware of the differences between DVC and booking a Deluxe or any other room. :)

Last edited:
I was at Kidani in August. We had a Savana view 2 bedroom and a studio. Our rooms definitely showed signs of wear but they felt, looked and smelled clean. We had a nice stay and enjoyed the room and other areas of the resort. Not saying there aren’t bad rooms out there, but that was not our experience. Have a good trip!

I'd pay attention to who is reviewing the rooms. DVC owners are aware they are getting a timeshare on a slower refurb schedule than the resorts - that keeps costs down and we understand the trade off (or at least, many of us do). People who rent points are expecting a "Deluxe Hotel" at bargain prices. They aren't going to expect a worn room - that wasn't what they were sold on. I think a popular vacation review website would be a lot of renters, not owners.

I'd pay attention to who is reviewing the rooms. DVC owners are aware they are getting a timeshare on a slower refurb schedule than the resorts - that keeps costs down and we understand the trade off (or at least, many of us do). People who rent points are expecting a "Deluxe Hotel" at bargain prices. They aren't going to expect a worn room - that wasn't what they were sold on. I think a popular vacation review website would be a lot of renters, not owners.
Very good point and certainly something to take into account. Thanks for that feedback.

Many of the reviews were from people who claimed to be owners, but used their points for AKV instead of their home resort. In addition to that, quite a few of the reviews said they did a split stay and Bay Lake, Boardwalk, VGF, BC, etc were wonderful, but they were disappointed in AKV. There were definitely reviews from people who rented points through a service (online rental store) and I would bet they fit what you described, in terms of expectations.

the idea that the hotel is unfit or comparable to an all star is not in line with my experience.

they are doing a renovation later this year/early next year fyi.

And you know that the people complaining about the dark worn out dingy etc. rooms will be the first one's to complain that AKVs have lost their charm and authenticity after the refurb. This is definitely a case of be careful what you wish for to those negative reviewers because there's almost no way Disney is refurbing with similar ornate and AK/Lion King specific furniture and details as it has now.

And you know that the people complaining about the dark worn out dingy etc. rooms will be the first one's to complain that AKVs have lost their charm and authenticity after the refurb. This is definitely a case of be careful what you wish for to those negative reviewers because there's almost no way Disney is refurbing with similar ornate and AK/Lion King specific furniture and details as it has now.
It will be a big mistake for them to not keep this resort heavily themed. Perhaps moreso than any other resort it needs the theming to make up for the shortfalls.

I was out on a popular vacation review website. There was one bad review after another saying that AKV, and in particular the Kidani side, has really gone downhill, is in worse condition than the AllStars, needs a refurb and the rooms are dirty and worn down.

I know people are quick to complain and slow to compliment. However, I want to ask...is that the reality of AKV-K now? Is that what I have to "look forward to"? Just wondering if I should switch DVC resort?
AKV-K is our favorite resort. It is awesomely themed. Are the rooms a little worn? Yes. Are they in disarray? No. I'll take them over just about any other DVC room

I wouldn't give much credence to what "renters" are saying about DVC resorts since they may have unrealistic expectations , I would go by what an owner has to say. Now if you have currently have a studio concierge or two bedroom concierge room booked I would say they are definitely run down and not worth it, just do me a favor and DM me right before you cancel...................

It will be a big mistake for them to not keep this resort heavily themed. Perhaps moreso than any other resort it needs the theming to make up for the shortfalls.
Agree and although they can get sort of get away with it at the other resorts there's no way this resort wasn't meant to be an immersive animal/safari type experience. If they ever give this the "Marriott" treatment I think Joe Rohde would personally hunt down the people in charge like Caribou.

Had a fabulous stay at AKL Kidani last June. I dont mind the dark rooms at all. I didn't notice any wear/tear,but I also don't look for that. I don't care about scuffs, or a stain here and there, or anything like that, as long as things all work, which they did. It was our 4th stay at AKL, no room issues. Only issues we had were bus service and location of the room, but we choose AKL for a savanna view, you can't get that at All Stars, so that comparison is ridiculous. Also AKL has an extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedroom units. I hope they do not at all change the theming with a refurb.

Last edited:
We canceled our bounceback offer at AKV-K and rebooked for SSR. Just too many negative reviews, and we enjoy the peace and quiet of SSR and outdoor hallways. I wish AKV-K had better reviews because I was looking forward to trying somewhere new, but back to SSR!

In the review world: Dark room colors = dingy and unclean and unkept.

I think AKV and VWL back in the day both had those types of reviews almost from the start. Even if there are rooms with issues, and those exist in every resort, not all rooms will be the same. I wouldn't worry about it and if you discover issues call maintenance and ask for them to be fixed. Can't tell you how many times we've done that at various resorts over the years.

We had a 3 night stay there last week. The room wasn’t in perfect condition but it was spotless. We had no complaints about it at all and in fact my DH questioned why we use our points there for SAP!

**Side note, we followed that stay up with one in a refurbished BVW studio and someone had already dinged up the paint on the door. 🤷‍♀️

Not a fan of AKL. But that’s just me. I prefer the near park resorts.

We like Kidani, but we’ve seen roaches there. In the kitchen of our villa. So, yes, gross.
Obviously not ideal, but did Disney deal with it? After one time you told them about it, did they treat the room/move you and was it not a problem the rest of your trip?

I ask this only because roaches are just, in general, a problem in Florida. They could just as easily be living in Riviera or the Grand Floridian. The concern is, was it dealt with appropriately and was it a recurring issue.

If roaches continued to be a concern, that would be disconcerting. We just returned from a stay. It was blessedly roach free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter