Many Awful Reviews About AKV-K ??

I guess I'm looking forward to what condition things are in there. We are a week away from our first AKV stay (2-bedroom savanna view).

I'm guessing my perception will be much like it was after our first stay at Boardwalk in 2022. That people here have REALLY high expectations and things aren't really that bad ;)

We will be at AKV for 5 nights then move to our other WDW home resort (VGF) for 6 more nights. I guess we will get a good contrast of a resort that is due for a refurb and one that was recently refurbed!

Obviously not ideal, but did Disney deal with it? After one time you told them about it, did they treat the room/move you and was it not a problem the rest of your trip?

I ask this only because roaches are just, in general, a problem in Florida. They could just as easily be living in Riviera or the Grand Floridian. The concern is, was it dealt with appropriately and was it a recurring issue.

If roaches continued to be a concern, that would be disconcerting. We just returned from a stay. It was blessedly roach free.
I have read from several sources that they can’t use normal pesticides at AKL due to the animals. I’m guessing insects that don’t die but have the pesticide on them could enter into the food chain for smaller animals, or anything sprayed or sprinkled on balconies could wash down into the savanna when it rains, but that part is a guess.

Since they don’t know where the cockroach entered the room, or where it went, they’d have to do a general treatmeant. Plus, it’s Florida.

I have read from several sources that they can’t use normal pesticides at AKL due to the animals. I’m guessing insects that don’t die but have the pesticide on them could enter into the food chain for smaller animals, or anything sprayed or sprinkled on balconies could wash down into the savanna when it rains, but that part is a guess.

Since they don’t know where the cockroach entered the room, or where it went, they’d have to do a general treatmeant. Plus, it’s Florida.
Never heard this before but makes a lot of sense. Many procedures are different at AKL than a normal hotel and I can totally see this being the case with pesticides.

I've said it another thread but I'll say it again. We absolutely loved Kidani! It was our first Orlando experience and came before our first DCL cruise on the Wish. The 3 nights at Kidani were the highlight of the trip. I'll definitely admit that the rooms at VGF are much more updated and brighter but there's just something so awesome about AKL with all the animals. We also really liked the more low key vibe of Kidani vs Jambo. We used VGC points for the stay at Kidani and had zero regrets.

I guess I'm looking forward to what condition things are in there. We are a week away from our first AKV stay (2-bedroom savanna view).

I'm guessing my perception will be much like it was after our first stay at Boardwalk in 2022. That people here have REALLY high expectations and things aren't really that bad ;)

We will be at AKV for 5 nights then move to our other WDW home resort (VGF) for 6 more nights. I guess we will get a good contrast of a resort that is due for a refurb and one that was recently refurbed!
Please post back. Would like to hear your thoughts. :)

I own at Riviera but would honestly book at AKV-K if given the choice despite the shortcomings. The theming is just incredible. I love walking through hallways and stopping at every artifact and antiquity to read about it… drives my wife nuts. Our last stay was amazing but my only gripe was that Sanaa was somewhat overrun, crowded and the cast members were flummoxed. This is in comparison more magical experiences in the past. I fell in love, however, with Jiko! (Yes I know not Kidani side). I was overwhelmed with happiness that Chase overnighted me a new Disney Visa to the front desk that I randomly decided to eat there to use my 10% off benefit! Since I’m on one of ADHD rants… the arcade was a chaotic mess with unsupervised teens and tweens acting worse than the actual animals in the Savannah! My kids love visiting the arcades at every DVC resort we go to, but I get dismayed when it appears they are neglected. Anyway… Kidani, love it! I feel transported to a “world away” both in a guest experience sense and in a nostalgic sense for when Disney ruled the business with imagineering and put passion into every last detail.

We rented DVC points to stay at AKL, but I didn't realise (when my sister booked it) we would be in Kidani village (should have researched it in advance). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the studio we had, or the pool area, but I would rather have been in Jambo House personally. When booking deluxe on the UK Disney site, this is the cheapest deluxe available. I would book Jambo house in a heartbeat but I have been outvoted.

Looks like Kidani is ranked #6 of all the DVC resorts by TouringPlans/Unofficial Guide survey respondents in the last 24 months: https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels?category=deluxe_villa&sort=rating

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/disneys-animal-kingdom-villas

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.05.56 PM.png

With these category breakdowns, including a strong ~4.5 in room quality:
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.08.34 PM.png
Unfortunately can't break down whether they own there, are DVC owners at all, or are renters. Nor is it possible to read the reviews. But based on aggregate, it seems unlikely that things have gotten so bad that it's an All-Star level.

Last edited by a moderator:
We rented DVC points to stay at AKL, but I didn't realise (when my sister booked it) we would be in Kidani village (should have researched it in advance). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the studio we had, or the pool area, but I would rather have been in Jambo House personally. When booking deluxe on the UK Disney site, this is the cheapest deluxe available. I would book Jambo house in a heartbeat but I have been outvoted.
I adore Kidani. We owned for 10 years and always stayed Kidani. It feels like a vacation within a vacation. And, we prefer how the bus service works. We are first to be picked up and first to be dropped off, other than for DTD.

My wife and I stayed at Kidani, savanna view studio, about 9 months ago as a points renter. I had no complaints about the room. We enjoyed the theming and animals out the window, and the quality of the room was what we would expect.

Bus transportation to the resorts was good, not nearly as problematic as people make it out to be, but we also weren’t trying to go back to the room for meals or breaks in the middle of the day.

Overall we loved being there and are considering buying resale there.

i only use the "ignore" on 2 people on this site and one of them just happened to start this thread so not sure how it popped up. the hotel isnt perfect but it just seems they try to start negative threads like this. its okay to have a negative opinion but constantly trying to bash for a purpose isnt productive.
Got news for ya....this world is full of opinions and questions. That is how the world works. And, nobody is bashing. It was a legit question.

And, this it literally the ONLY post I have ever made asking about the quality of any Disney hotel. So either you are confused or just making stuff up.

i only use the "ignore" on 2 people on this site and one of them just happened to start this thread so not sure how it popped up. the hotel isnt perfect but it just seems they try to start negative threads like this. its okay to have a negative opinion but constantly trying to bash for a purpose isnt productive.
If you had this person ignored, you would not have seen their comment. The technology does not work like that. You would not have seen the original post.

I looked at other posts from the OP (Sparrow). I do not see anything to confirm what you are describing. I also did not see a single comment bashing the hotel. What are you talking about?

Last edited:
I like AKV. We always stay Kidani. It is dated. I will be honest. It is in desperate need of a refurb. Disney has neglected it. They need to get those nasty carpets out and put in hard flooring. Overall it is not on the level of Allstars. I agree with the comment that said those people probably do not understand DVC. Do not worry about it. You will have a great time.

Very good point and certainly something to take into account. Thanks for that feedback.

Many of the reviews were from people who claimed to be owners, but used their points for AKV instead of their home resort. In addition to that, quite a few of the reviews said they did a split stay and Bay Lake, Boardwalk, VGF, BC, etc were wonderful, but they were disappointed in AKV. There were definitely reviews from people who rented points through a service (online rental store) and I would bet they fit what you described, in terms of expectations.
We own at BLT VGF and RIV - 2 out of 3 are new/newly refurbed so we have pretty high expectations. Stayed in a 1br Value at Jambo in 2021, and recently (August 2023) after a week at unrefurbished BWV. Also stayed at AKL back before any DVC was built!

Recent impressions:

Jambo 2021, the room was a bit worn, but we were just happy to be on vacation somewhere worn, and to be in a 1br on studio-like points.

AKV Kidani - we liked the layout and living room WAY better than 2br lockoff at BWV. Both rooms felt a little dated and worn down, especially compared to VGF and RIV, but AKV-K still felt like a significant upgrade from unreferbished BWV - layout, size, extra bathroom. The furnishings felt comparable to BLT and Aulani (and, frankly, VGC), all of which we stayed in the last 2-3 years. The peacefulness of the savanna and the space more than outweighed any dated-ness of the room, and we would happily stay there again as part of a split stay. On that trip, we were park commandos while staying at BWV, and shut down the parks at every evening extra hour there was. By the time we moved to AKV, we spent more time at the resort, slept in, watched the animals. BTW we requested at the end of the hall closest to Jambo and actually spent most of our resort time at Jambo. Did not mind the walk at all, and we love Jiko and Boma.

Did not buy AKV points because of dues and generally I'm not a fan of the darker wood decor - I don't need it every stay, but every couple of years is plenty. AND DO NOT CHANGE THE THEMING!!!

We own at BLT VGF and RIV - 2 out of 3 are new/newly refurbed so we have pretty high expectations. Stayed in a 1br Value at Jambo in 2021, and recently (August 2023) after a week at unrefurbished BWV. Also stayed at AKL back before any DVC was built!

Recent impressions:

Jambo 2021, the room was a bit worn, but we were just happy to be on vacation somewhere worn, and to be in a 1br on studio-like points.

AKV Kidani - we liked the layout and living room WAY better than 2br lockoff at BWV. Both rooms felt a little dated and worn down, especially compared to VGF and RIV, but AKV-K still felt like a significant upgrade from unreferbished BWV - layout, size, extra bathroom. The furnishings felt comparable to BLT and Aulani (and, frankly, VGC), all of which we stayed in the last 2-3 years. The peacefulness of the savanna and the space more than outweighed any dated-ness of the room, and we would happily stay there again as part of a split stay. On that trip, we were park commandos while staying at BWV, and shut down the parks at every evening extra hour there was. By the time we moved to AKV, we spent more time at the resort, slept in, watched the animals. BTW we requested at the end of the hall closest to Jambo and actually spent most of our resort time at Jambo. Did not mind the walk at all, and we love Jiko and Boma.

Did not buy AKV points because of dues and generally I'm not a fan of the darker wood decor - I don't need it every stay, but every couple of years is plenty. AND DO NOT CHANGE THE THEMING!!!
@bwang123 - Is this what you consider negative? I am genuinely curious if your comment is defensiveness or if you are confusing the comment with something else? All of the comments here, with the exception of a little snark here and there, are genuine experiences.

I used to own at AKV. For 10 years. Sold it in 2020. Last visit was 2019 (December). Just wanted to throw that in there to clarify that I am very aware of the differences between DVC and booking a Deluxe or any other room. :)
Just curious why you sold? Did you purchase at another property?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter