Marathon Weekend 2016

South Florida doesn't get cold weather to train in. Let marathon weekend be in the mid 90's and I am good to go. :rotfl2:

Y'all can have that ice cold stuff

Yesterday I survived my last long run and now begins my taper to Detroit in two weeks. Very excited about that race! But more exciting was today. My younger daughter wanted to run a race with me. We found a local 5k and this morning before the race she told me she wanted to run the whole thing and not stop - she is 8. We ran the whole thing. Several times I could just feel her struggling, I know it was hard. I kept encouraging her but told her that if she needed to stop that it would be fine. I told her how proud I was and just let me know. She said no I want to keep running. We finished and she never stopped as soon as we saw the finish she sprinted! She was beaming! I was more excited about that race than anything I have done on my own. So proud of her!!! All she wanted was chocolate milk! :)

My friend is running a 1/2 on Cape Cod tomorrow and he sent me a text saying how beautiful it is down there and wishing I could run with him. I'm like, "Yeah, me too!"

Was it the Harwich Cranberry Half? I keep wanting to do that one but it never lines up well with my schedule. What part of the state do you live in?

Was it the Harwich Cranberry Half? I keep wanting to do that one but it never lines up well with my schedule. What part of the state do you live in?
So there are a number of New England runners posting here... I live on the North Shore, and I'm running the Harborside Half in Newburyport in November. Anyone else?

Yesterday I survived my last long run and now begins my taper to Detroit in two weeks. Very excited about that race! But more exciting was today. My younger daughter wanted to run a race with me. We found a local 5k and this morning before the race she told me she wanted to run the whole thing and not stop - she is 8. We ran the whole thing. Several times I could just feel her struggling, I know it was hard. I kept encouraging her but told her that if she needed to stop that it would be fine. I told her how proud I was and just let me know. She said no I want to keep running. We finished and she never stopped as soon as we saw the finish she sprinted! She was beaming! I was more excited about that race than anything I have done on my own. So proud of her!!! All she wanted was chocolate milk! :)

That's awesome for both of you! Who wouldn't like chocolate milk? Stuff is great after a run! Around town there is a group called Girls on the Run. They train young girls for their first 5k and for the race they allow the parent or mentor run with them. In short, the point of the program is to increase self esteem in young ladies. I am not sure if a group is established in your area, but from I have seen from it, I think its a very positive program for all involved.

Great job! No better joy for a parent than to see a child take on and overcome an obstacle. And I heartily recommend chocolate milk as well. Always have it after long Sunday runs.

I finished in 48:46 (clock 49:23) when I wasn't really trying to run super fast - I guess I had some adrenaline in me because I was close to my previous PR, by 1 second. Though it seems like maybe I gave that run more than expected and hence my half marathon wasn't that great: 1:52 hrs (I couldn't catch that 1:50 pacer).

Anyway, Eddie finished around 20 seconds later 48:57 (clock 49:44), so you were much faster than all of us.
I wound up running that race a lot faster than I wanted to. My goal was to save everything for the half the next day. There was a lot of energy at that race.

We weren't that far apart. Last night before you posted I tried to guess who you were based on your earlier comment. I think I figured it out. Where you wearing a shirt with a triangle on the front?

Run Total = 105 miles
Marathon = 1 (BQ -3:xx - in!)
Bike = 0
Swim = 0
Wine = 8 bottles
Congrats on the BQ time. That's a huge achievement.

Monthly running total - 88 miles. Less than August due to a combination of illness, work/home commitments, and quad strain. Hoping to get the mileage back up there this month.

We weren't that far apart. Last night before you posted I tried to guess who you were based on your earlier comment. I think I figured it out. Where you wearing a shirt with a triangle on the front?

Yeah, that was me. Wow how did you remember that? I don't remember anything from the course other than what the ground looked like because I was staring at it so much while running.

I'll be back later to respond to other stuff but I'm at work and have a question. Is there a way to confirm registration to a Rundisney race? A coworker says she signed up for one and she didn't get a comfirmation. Is there a link to go check like others races have?

Yeah, that was me. Wow how did you remember that? I don't remember anything from the course other than what the ground looked like because I was staring at it so much while running.

I didn't remember. I just viewed the results for men and looked for finishes with a clock time about 30 seconds in front of the marathon man. Then based on your username here guessed you were probably the person whose last name ended in Z. Then I plugged that name into marathon photo.

Basically it's just proof that I need to find better things to to when I'm tapering.

6 days till the Chicago marathon and my buddies and I still haven't decided what we're gonna do. The big debate is whether we start with the pace group for the time we trained to get or a slower pace group. The slower pace group would make it so none of us bonk, but we'd miss the pace we trained for. I'm leaning to trying to run at the pace we trained for. We may bonk and miss the finish goal, but if we start slower we are guaranteed to miss our goal.

I'm always of the mindset to run fast in the beginning to bank some minutes and then I can have reserve time in the end, but apparently this is a big no-no for runners. They always tout negative splits, so I would run at slightly slower pace for a few miles, before hopefully speeding up. I've never run a full so advice is pointless.

6 days till the Chicago marathon and my buddies and I still haven't decided what we're gonna do. The big debate is whether we start with the pace group for the time we trained to get or a slower pace group. The slower pace group would make it so none of us bonk, but we'd miss the pace we trained for. I'm leaning to trying to run at the pace we trained for. We may bonk and miss the finish goal, but if we start slower we are guaranteed to miss our goal.
Enjoy Chicago! That was the first one I did two years ago and it was perfect. Great weather, 1 million+ enthusiastic spectators, fun neighborhoods to run through and excellent support stations. You'll do great and love it.

I raced like the opposite of the Chicago marathon on Saturday doing the Ditka Dash in 30mph winds and wearing a fake mustache (there's pics in my journal if anyone wants to see how "cool" I looked), so I have no advise for @IamTrike but I will say that I hope you have an awesome time in my home city. I really wanted to volunteer for the Chicago marathon since I'm not ready for that distance, but it didn't work out with my schedule. So my goal is to volunteer next year and maybe one day actually run it. I was hoping for the sweet volunteer jacket too.

Enjoy Chicago! That was the first one I did two years ago and it was perfect. Great weather, 1 million+ enthusiastic spectators, fun neighborhoods to run through and excellent support stations. You'll do great and love it.
If you have a good pace then can you really dodge the bullets?

Fyi, I was from Chicago but now I value my life. Still...go Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears and even Sox.

If you have a good pace then can you really dodge the bullets?

Fyi, I was from Chicago but now I value my life. Still...go Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears and even Sox.

OUCH! I will forgive the bullets comment because you included three of my favorite sports teams...even though one of them you listed last :(

I've always wanted to make a sign that said "Run like your meter is expiring" or "Run before your car gets ticketed" but never did.

My suggestion is to start with the pace group. They are typically really good (accurate) at Chicago. For a marathon, I agree with Z-Knight's approach, run your race as planned until you can't (which sometimes happens in marathons).

I like to split the marathon into "equal" halves: 1) the first 20 miles, and 2) the last 6.2 miles. Set your cruise control and stick to planned pace (adjusted for any special weather conditions) during the first half, then survive the second half at the best possible pace (which may be all over the place).

Sounds like there will be at least three of you running together... so there is a high likelihood that not all of you have the same type of day (good/neutral/bad). You should decide ahead of time if you will split up, or if everyone is slowing down together.

Have fun!

OUCH! I will forgive the bullets comment because you included three of my favorite sports teams...even though one of them you listed last :(

I've always wanted to make a sign that said "Run like your meter is expiring" or "Run before your car gets ticketed" but never did.

I swear, if you are a Peckers fan then I'm leaving this board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter