• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Today’s question: You can only pick one race during marathon weekend to run, which would it be and why?

1/2 Marathon for me. I only have the 1/2 and full on my resume, but the 1/2 is my distance of choice. Easier to train for and quicker recovery. I'll be adding the 10K to my resume on 1/5/18 so may have a different answer then!

Sundays are for Disney:

Easy answer is the Marathon and that makes it the right answer for me. There was nothing like crossing the finish line at my first marathon and then doing it again in my first Dopey the following year. The only thing that approximates those feelings is finishing another Marathon the next year.

If not for the Marathon I'd go 10K. I love MK, but the Half is the least "magical" course for me right now because MK is pretty much all there is (and, yes, I realize there's a certain absurdity about complaining about only running through MK). It's so much fun running into World Showcase and out and around the boardwalk and then back into Epcot with all of the torches lit. It's even more fun now that I've been to WDW enough to actually pick things out, know where I am, and know what is coming up.

The marathon is my default answer because it’s the only rD race I’ve run, but I suspect that’d be my choice if I’d done all four. The 2017 marathon was my first marathon and my first rD race. That alone makes it special to me. Add to that the amazing experience of running down Main Street USA and seeing so much of the Disney property.

ATTQOTD: Half. I also only have the full and half on my resume. That will change in 2018 with Dopey. It seems like the 5 and 10K are not enough race for the overhead of getting up early, transportation, etc.

The full wrecks the whole day.

The half is perfect. Enough race to be worth it, but then still have enough time and energy to do something else.

And you don't do WWOS and Osceola Parkway.

ATTQOTD - Marathon because it is the race that forces me to push myself in training. That is why I run marathons - for the training push, not for the races themselves.

That said, I enjoy the half marathon races far more because no one else in my friends/family runs marathons. If not for the shorter races, I would be running Disney by myself every year.

Can I ask this here?

Last time we were at Disney was pre-metal detectors (8/15) what is the deal with them now? How much time should I add to our travel time because of them?
Just remember not to stuff your pockets with things that will have to come out for the metal detectors and it only takes seconds. The folks who get hung up are the ones with cargo pockets stuffed full.

ATTQOTD-for me it’s the marathon, but in a close second it’s the 5k. Almost all your time spent in a park, which looks stunning in all the lights. Plus after 6 months of training for dopey, a 5k is just a nice way to keep the legs loose. First time I did dopey I got very emotional during the 5k as it had finally dawned on me that I was doing the challenge. It was also my first disney Race and Epcot just looked so beautiful in the dark. It was my favourite race from dark side weekend this year as well.

ATTQOTD: Half. I also only have the full and half on my resume. That will change in 2018 with Dopey. It seems like the 5 and 10K are not enough race for the overhead of getting up early, transportation, etc.

The full wrecks the whole day.

The half is perfect. Enough race to be worth it, but then still have enough time and energy to do something else.

And you don't do WWOS and Osceola Parkway.
I actually kind of like Wide world of sports & almost added at that as a plus for doing the marathon only, hahaha! It's so funny how everyone views it differently!

ATTQOTD-for me it’s the marathon, but in a close second it’s the 5k. Almost all your time spent in a park, which looks stunning in all the lights. Plus after 6 months of training for dopey, a 5k is just a nice way to keep the legs loose. First time I did dopey I got very emotional during the 5k as it had finally dawned on me that I was doing the challenge. It was also my first disney Race and Epcot just looked so beautiful in the dark. It was my favourite race from dark side weekend this year as well.
The 5k would be second pick for me too.

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week. As always Sundays are for Disney.

Today’s question: You can only pick one race during marathon weekend to run, which would it be and why?

My answer: The marathon. While the most difficult of them it’s an incredible race. You run through all four theme parks and have opportunities to ride attractions. As a Disney fan it is a great way to see the resort from a different perspective.

Same.

And had I actually thought about it I probably would've been able to train for an actual marathon. If I were to run a marathon, it would be in WDW for sure.

ATTQOTD: I'll stick with the marathon theme. I love the course and call the medals my "Ultimate Park Hoppers". 4 parks in 5-6 hours (hoping to be healthy and better that this year). There are too many things to love about that course to list here, but the home stretch from the DHS exit to the choir at the finish line is one of my favorite stretches in running.

Sunday Question: 10K. It's my favorite distance of race. I like the course (although the 10K course they have used recently for Dark Side/Wine & Dine isn't bad either)

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone had a great week. As always Sundays are for Disney.

My answer: The marathon. While the most difficult of them it’s an incredible race. You run through all four theme parks and have opportunities to ride attractions. As a Disney fan it is a great way to see the resort from a different perspective.

At Disney its the full marathon,its simply my favorite race,the only one where you run through all the parks,get a chance to ride rides and spectators and park guests are all out to cheer you on.Its also probably one of the few races where a full won't seem as long as in other races.For example today I ran the Space coast half and knocked it out,but the last two years I ran the full and although the entire course is beautiful running next to the Indian river on one side and beautiful homes on the other and many of the homeowners come out and put up these "party zones" with music,beer,mimosas,(I had a bloody Mary at mile 11),the full in that race just felt so long those last two years,there's no next park to look forward to,no Disney entertainment on course,Space coast is an amazing race but I just handle a full better at Disney.I actually got my full PR at Space Coast in 2015 but struggled last year,I attribute that to being a brand new course for me in 2015 and although it felt long it was more interesting being something new,last year I knew what to expect and was actually not looking forward to it.I would run fulls in other races that are new to me but I think the only place I can come back year after year and have no issues running a full,and actually look forward to running a full is at Disney.

Sunday question: I would give the slight edge to the 10k with the marathon in a very close second. 10k is my favorite distance and there is just something about running through world showcase with the torches lit and music playing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter