Marathon Weekend 2018

Thinking about doing Dopey in '18. With all the recent chatter about resorts I was wondering what people thought about which are the best resorts to stay at for the marathon weekend. We are DVC members so I was thinking of Boardwalk or Beach Club since they're close to EPCOT and most of the races seem to start there.

Our home resort is the Poly though so we can book that in about a month.
I stayed at Beach Club in 2016 and loved it.

Thanks everyone! I'll probably go ahead and try to book Poly 11 months out and then switch to Boardwalk/Beach Club depending on availability. I've never stayed at an Epcot resort so definitely want to try one out!

Q
Once you give out the medals for the races this year and the challenges, I don't think you can go back and say they "don't count" from an anniversary perspective. Plus, from a tracking standpoint it would be very difficult to keep track of new anniversaries down the road. It becomes no longer simply adding 5, 10, 15, etc to the inaugural year. You have to remember and track that separately somehow and RunDisney has trouble with the simple things already...

In my mind, once a race has been scheduled, sold, set up, etc, it should count from an anniversary standpoint. It was not run due to inclement weather, but you've still got all those "20th" anniversary medals out there on the street. You can't have two sets of "20th" anniversary medals. Otherwise, it just gets to be too complicated. For example, should Wine & Dine now be offset a year on an anniversary basis because its "half of a half" was technically not a running of the half marathon? Throw in another shortened race or a cancellation in a subsequent year with this precedent and it gets really hairy to track. I say keep it simple and roll on.

I understand. But please note I wasn't trying to imply i think rD SHOULD refer it as how I laid it out in my original post. It was just a fun little scenario I thought would be cool to see and from a technical (not necessarily actual) standpoint. I know rD will roll on as if nothing happen, which is the easiest route to go.

I respect your stance about a race. In my eyes, the 20th anniversary running on the WDW Half did not officially happen and thus technically Goofy and Dopey did not happen. This is not to say people shouldn't display their medals because if they ran the 13.1 miles, that is their unofficial half marathon.

I do think while unfortunate the half was cancelled, it was rather unique everyone has their own story and course they did the morning of the day the half was to take place. The photos and stories I've seen and read and truly awesome!

Please note, I'm not trying to start an argument.

Last edited:

I'm usually an Epcot Resort girl - but would love to stay at Wilderness lodge this time around. Any thoughts from others who had previously stayed there for marathon weekend?

I'm usually an Epcot Resort girl - but would love to stay at Wilderness lodge this time around. Any thoughts from others who had previously stayed there for marathon weekend?
We did in 2015. I thought it was fine but DH was less than thrilled with the wait for spectator buses. He left the room with what he thought would be plenty of time but almost missed me. This year we stayed at Beach Club and it was much less stressful for him.

We did in 2015. I thought it was fine but DH was less than thrilled with the wait for spectator buses. He left the room with what he thought would be plenty of time but almost missed me. This year we stayed at Beach Club and it was much less stressful for him.

Thanks. I must admit buses are part of the reason I am looking for a change. I was at boardwalk for W&D and being the last stop on the Epcot loop meant the buses were often full when they got to us. Also meant post race you had to sit on the bus for a long time through stops at BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin before getting 'home'.

Q

I understand. But please note I wasn't trying to imply i think rD SHOULD refer it as how I laid it out in my original post. It was just a fun little scenario I thought would be cool to see and from a technical (not necessarily actual) standpoint. I know rD will roll on as if nothing happen, which is the easiest route to go.

I respect your stance about a race. In my eyes, the 20th anniversary running on the WDW Half did not officially happen and thus technically Goofy and Dopey did not happen. This is not to say people shouldn't display their medals because if they ran the 13.1 miles, that is their unofficial half marathon.

I do think while unfortunate the half was cancelled, it was rather unique everyone has their own story and course they did the morning of the day the half was to take place. The photos and stories I've seen and read and truly awesome!

Please note, I'm not trying to start an argument.

I didn't take it as trying to start an argument and I wasn't, either. I just looked at it as a fun debate on "how can/should this weird situation be handled" and took what I thought was the most likely interpretation of the weekend's events moving forward.

I totally see your point of view on the technicality of whether an anniversary was served. I also feel really weird about my Dopey and find myself rationalizing how I "technically" completed it, but there's definitely a sour taste in my mouth. It might be different if it weren't my first. It's also causing me to change next year's plans from Kessel Run to re-Dopey.

Thanks. I must admit buses are part of the reason I am looking for a change. I was at boardwalk for W&D and being the last stop on the Epcot loop meant the buses were often full when they got to us. Also meant post race you had to sit on the bus for a long time through stops at BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin before getting 'home'.

We also were at Boardwalk. I knew from prior race weekends that the boardwalk would be the last stop. The Swan is the first stop so I usually disembark there and walk over to the boardwalk.

After thinking about it for a few days, I am in for Dopey 2018! My husband blames the Disney cruise we just got back from. Right after the marathon, I knew I would at least be back for the full but it wasn't until we met so many marathon weekend runners on the boat that I turned the corner. The castaway cay challenge was so cool. RunDisney let our group off the boat early and let our group run before anyone else was allowed onto the island. They had character stops for us along the way and at the finish line. I think the best part was running with people who "got it" if that makes sense. It seems like I am always attempting to explain to people why we love Disney and the runDisney races and most don't seem to get it. But it was not the case last weekend and on the boat. Really glad to be apart of threads like these!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter