• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The

The tubs I have had are roughly the size of mine at home, an interior of 56"x 25" which if filled with 2.5" of ice is roughly 2 ft^3 or 15 gallons. An ice bucket is roughly 3 quarts, 0.75gallons. Thus, considering rounding about 20 trips if you fill the bucket to the top.
Key point: pick the trash cans, not the ice bucket for hauling.

#SCIENCED!

If we're all wrong and TSL is open ... do we think they'll be nice and send runners through the Slinky Dog Dash FP+ line even without FastPass? Or will I have to do some #math on my pace and timing and make a FP+?

ETA: I assume we won't have the course 60 days out, so my best bet may be to make the FP+ anyway and cancel it if the course doesn't run through TSL, right?

I see some discussion of the course going on for the marathon. What are the odds the course is changed for 2019? Are we expecting anything big or just extending a out and back or adding back other parts of the course that were under construction and reducing the out and backs? Just curious...

Second question: Does anyone wear their medal on Monday for DATW? TIA

If we're all wrong and TSL is open ... do we think they'll be nice and send runners through the Slinky Dog Dash FP+ line even without FastPass? Or will I have to do some #math on my pace and timing and make a FP+?
What time are you thinking you will be in DHS? What is the anticipated park opening on marathon morning?

What time are you thinking you will be in DHS? What is the anticipated park opening on marathon morning?

Park is currently schedule to open at 9. I don't remember what mile DHS is, but I'll be towards the back, so it'll probably be open when I get there. I don't think I'm gonna finish the race before 1pm the earliest. I plan to take the 7 hours they give me. I'm going for at least 2 characters an hour.

ETA: I assume we won't have the course 60 days out, so my best bet may be to make the FP+ anyway and cancel it if the course doesn't run through TSL, right?
It likely will depend on the CM some allow it at ToT and RnRc and others don’t.

If you make a FP and don’t tap in at the park entrance you will be locked out of your account.

Park is currently schedule to open at 9. I don't remember what mile DHS is, but I'll be towards the back, so it'll probably be open when I get there. I don't think I'm gonna finish the race before 1pm the earliest. I plan to take the 7 hours they give me. I'm going for at least 2 characters an hour.
Mile 23ish

I see some discussion of the course going on for the marathon. What are the odds the course is changed for 2019? Are we expecting anything big or just extending a out and back or adding back other parts of the course that were under construction and reducing the out and backs? Just curious...
I expect small changes but overall the same.

I don't have any of tips to add since everyone pretty much already said them.

@TheHamm just made my day with all the math for ice in the tub.
As a graduate TA, my favorite story problem to put on quizzes was to give a temperature and ask students if a bottle of clear liquor would freeze and crack the bottle, so this is up my alley.
I was tempted to try to estimate the free volume and determine how much gin I would need to fill the void space, but I then realized (1) I would have to assume the geometry of the ice cubes and I cannot make a good assumption (2) the ice would just float.

As a graduate TA, my favorite story problem to put on quizzes was to give a temperature and ask students if a bottle of clear liquor would freeze and crack the bottle, so this is up my alley.
I was tempted to try to estimate the free volume and determine how much gin I would need to fill the void space, but I then realized (1) I would have to assume the geometry of the ice cubes and I cannot make a good assumption (2) the ice would just float.

Why would you freeze the clear liquor? Just drink it.

2) I like the mini metal pins as xmas ornaments. @Ariel484 gave me the idea to go to the xmas shop for a personalized ornament which is so smart and unique.
I bought an extra 2017 Kessel Run medal pin for this very reason. It will always go between the 2017 Light Side and 2017 Dark Side shoe ornaments. I may have to do multiple customize ornaments to account for previous missed opportunities.

Good morning, runDisney All-Stars! Summer is winding down, school will be back in session soon and we're 156 days from the kickoff of marathon weekend. I've got a feeling it's going to go fast.

As promised last week, this week's Sundays are for Disney question will be ... even more questions, and hopefully some answers. Whether you're a first timer or a seasoned pro, what questions do you have about marathon weekend? And, if you don't have any questions, what tips do you have to help everyone make the most of the weekend? There's no limit to the number of questions or answers, so go crazy.

My tip: if you typically run with headphones in for music, podcasts, etc., leave 'em at home for the Disney races and just absorb the ambiance.

My question: do I really need two pairs of shoes to train for and run Dopey? I've seen people say that, but I'm curious what others have done.

Have a good week, everyone!
I like having music if I need it, but have run without it just to soak up the atmosphere.

As for a tip, enjoy the experience. It's a unique atmosphere. I was conversing with a pacer during Dark Side this year and she noted that her husband enjoyed his second marathon so much better because he took the time to have fun even though he finished slower. I didn't take any photo stops during my first half. I didn't want to risk that hurting my ability to finish. In hindsight, there were a handful of 30 second photo opportunities that would be fun to have now and would not have risked my goal to finish.

Fun race photos do not have to involve characters.

Oh, and "Warning, course narrows ahead"!
I think my little sister still hears that in her dreams.

I would prepare for all weather outcomes. In 2017, it went from about 80 to 35 in two days. I’m pretty sure I saw people wrapped up in towels, comforters and anything else from their rooms that wasn’t nailed down just to stay warm before the start.

I’m planning on hitting up some consignment stores to get used sweatshirts, hats and gloves that I can wear and then pitch.
I bought an inexpensive fleece hoodie at Walmart before Avengers last year. Worked so much better than attempting to wrap myself with a mylar blanket. I set it aside shortly before the race knowing that it would be getting donated.

My question is this: Do they ever close off the lines for characters pre-race? I know they've had to do it at least once for the Star Wars races, but I don't remember seeing it happen when I've been there
At Star Wars I've heard them clearly announce that characters are leaving at a certain time, but they have not closed the line off to new people. They do warn them that they might not make it. This year I was the last person in line for Captain Phasma before the 10K, but they informed me of that at about 4:58am and they characters left at 5:00am.

It's a mix I feel pretty sure. I know the first year I ran it, it was some kind of Hallelujah chorus (not THE Hallelujah chorus, but something like that), but I also know I've heard them sing secular music. However, like others have said you are honestly by them so quickly you don't hear more than a few bars of the music. They aren't amplified crazy loud or anything, but I found them to be a great boost as you make those last few turns. They usually have tons of energy and are excited for you.
I am really looking forward to hearing the choir sing. That just sounds awesome.

So my tip would be to leave a buffer AND if possible, to book multiple flights on multiple days. Assuming you are flying on Southwest, you can cancel the flights you do not use and get a credit back for another flight.
I'm on the west coast so I'm not too concerned about weather, but I booked a non stop flight to Orlando for this very reason. I didn't want to chance bad weather in other parts of the country wreaking havoc on a connecting flight.

I plan on wearing my medal for the rest of the month of January. Maybe just rotating between the Marathon medal and the Dopey medal...
So I wore my 2016 Star Wars Half medal to a screening of Rogue One, my 2018 Kessel Run medal to the night before sneak preview of Solo, and one of my Incredibles virtual shorts 5K medals to see Incredibles 2 this summer. I also wore my Inaugural Rebel Challenge race medals to work my first day back after the races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter