As some of us from the Northeast learned last year, sometimes leaving a buffer is not enough. Last year, I was booked to come in on Thursday morning for the Half. When the storm was approaching and our flights were getting canceled, it became impossible to find another flight as the flights on Wednesday night sold out quickly and the next available flight I could get post storm was on Sunday. Luckily for me, I thought fast, left work early on Wednesday, rented a one way car from CT and started driving as far as we could before the storm hit. We made it to DC, stayed over night and we were lucky to get a flight from Reagan Thursday afternoon. When we got up, if flights from DC were getting canceled, we would have gotten in the car and drove the rest of the way. I know others, like @JClimacus, who was coming down for just the Full, and gave himself plenty of buffer time, didn't make it all because he could not get a flight after his was canceled.

So my tip would be to leave a buffer AND if possible, to book multiple flights on multiple days. Assuming you are flying on Southwest, you can cancel the flights you do not use and get a credit back for another flight.
Can someone explain the cancellation rules for booking flights on Southwest, cash vs points, with the Wanna Get Away fares? I think if you pay cash, you can cancel and the money must be used within a year of the date you booked it. Does the one year rule also apply for flights booked with points? I'm running Princess in February and I'm considering booking another flight after reading this, but I don't want to lose money/points because I didn't understand the rules! I did try looking it up online, but I didn't find the FAQs to be very helpful for this.

Can someone explain the cancellation rules for booking flights on Southwest, cash vs points, with the Wanna Get Away fares? I think if you pay cash, you can cancel and the money must be used within a year of the date you booked it. Does the one year rule also apply for flights booked with points? I'm running Princess in February and I'm considering booking another flight after reading this, but I don't want to lose money/points because I didn't understand the rules! I did try looking it up online, but I didn't find the FAQs to be very helpful for this.
When using points and cancelling on SWA the points will go back in to your RR account and can be used for future travel with no timeline/date limitations. The associated security fees [I think it's $6.50 or 7.00 per ticket] that are charged via CC when booking with points will be credited as cash to your RR account as well. There was a time when they would credit your CC account but I thing the RR account credit is the only option now.

So a 2:34:35 HM = 5:26 Marathon

screen-shot-2018-08-07-at-8-16-17-pm-png.342181

Looks like a 1.08 conversion like all the earlier data had suggested. The outlier seems to be the info via email by runDisney given to @PrincessV friend with a 2:30 HM = 5:30 Marathon.

Do you have an educated guess on what the equivalent of 1.08 would be to convert a 10-mile POT?

Do you have an educated guess on what the equivalent of 1.08 would be to convert a 10-mile POT?
I’m not @DopeyBadger, but if I understand the formula correctly it would be:

Goal distance divided by POT distance. Then take that result to the 1.08 power for your multiplier.

This is where (26.2/13.1)^1.08=2.11 comes from.

So for a 10 miler:

(26.2/10)^1.08=2.83

So multiply your 10 mile time by 2.83.

Thanks @MissLiss279 . I asked the question too quickly before I realized it was something I could figure out on my own if I gave it a minute. My wife has a 10-mile POT and was I trying to figure out what that would convert to. I wish it was a little faster, but wishing we could move up a corral or 2 is really just a first world problem. We're just hoping she can get to the start line without any injuries this year.

View attachment 342151 Totally forgot I emailed runDisney but here is their response.

So a 2:34:35 HM = 5:26 Marathon

View attachment 342181

Looks like a 1.08 conversion like all the earlier data had suggested. The outlier seems to be the info via email by runDisney given to @PrincessV friend with a 2:30 HM = 5:30 Marathon.

Dear runDisney:

Will you PLEEEAAAASE just provide an online calculator so people can figure out what the heck you do with our PoTs?! This would save us - and YOU - a lot of time and trouble.

Hugs and kisses,
PrincessV

When using points and cancelling on SWA the points will go back in to your RR account and can be used for future travel with no timeline/date limitations. The associated security fees [I think it's $6.50 or 7.00 per ticket] that are charged via CC when booking with points will be credited as cash to your RR account as well. There was a time when they would credit your CC account but I thing the RR account credit is the only option now.
Thank you! When the security fee is credited to your RR account, does that mean it has the one year rule? It’s not a huge deal to lose that money, I’m just curious.

I'm coming up with it to be about 2.83 for the 10-mile vs the 2.11 for the HM.

I’m not @DopeyBadger, but if I understand the formula correctly it would be:

Goal distance divided by POT distance. Then take that result to the 1.08 power for your multiplier.

This is where (26.2/13.1)^1.08=2.11 comes from.

So for a 10 miler:

(26.2/10)^1.08=2.83

So multiply your 10 mile time by 2.83.

Agreed.

Thank you! When the security fee is credited to your RR account, does that mean it has the one year rule? It’s not a huge deal to lose that money, I’m just curious.
No one year rule for the security fee. Up until about a year ago, they offered the option to have your CC credited and that inherently would be hard to apply the one year rule to.

Here is the response I got today:

Thank you for reaching out about the WDW Marathon and proof of time. We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation for the 2:35:40 half marathon time. It would equivalent to a 5:28marathon, which still is faster than the 5:30 proof of time submission cutoff.

We wish you a magical day!

Thank you,

Track Shack Events on behalf of runDisney

Dear runDisney:

Will you PLEEEAAAASE just provide an online calculator so people can figure out what the heck you do with our PoTs?! This would save us - and YOU - a lot of time and trouble.

Hugs and kisses,
PrincessV
As great as that would be for people, I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.

As great as that would be for people, I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.
What's frustrating is that they DID have one years ago! You'd enter your PoT race time and it would tell you your anticipated rD race time. Problem solved, no questions about how they calculate, hard numbers right there on the screen.

Here is the response I got today:

Thank you for reaching out about the WDW Marathon and proof of time. We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation for the 2:35:40 half marathon time. It would equivalent to a 5:28marathon, which still is faster than the 5:30 proof of time submission cutoff.

We wish you a magical day!

Thank you,

WAHOO! Also, that comes out to a 5:29:05 for me using a 1.08 conversion, so we're close but not spot on. They've only sent me an auto-reply, and then we'll get you in touch with the POT email. When did you send yours?

What's frustrating is that they DID have one years ago! You'd enter your PoT race time and it would tell you your anticipated rD race time. Problem solved, no questions about how they calculate, hard numbers right there on the screen.
Yep! We have print outs and wrote down, the half * 2.12, to get the full time. Seems, I guess it's different now, maybe.

Roxyhubby booked a flight on points for myself and roxypawpaw so that is my exciting news for the day.
The good early nonstop on Friday was getting close to selling out at the cheap points amount so we jumped on it...gotta have time for the expo!

My email - sent yesterday directly to Track Shack, response received this morning:

Thank you for reaching out about Marathon Weekend and your proof of time. We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation and your anticipated full marathon finish with a 1:56:50 half marathon would be around 4:07. If you would like to run another half marathon event prior to the October 9th deadline, you are welcomed to do so, but if you do and want to change your proof, we recommend logging into your registration as soon as you receive the results for your event and entering any updates prior to that proof of time deadline. But you are still under that 5:30 mark with your current time.

We hope you have a magical day!

Thank you,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter