Is it bad that I actually am briefly considering Dopey? With the move of weekends next year the full marathon would actually fall on my birthday, and it would be pretty neat to earn 3 medals that day...but I have never run a full in my life.

If you already have a base - you should be able to train for it

This is true. I suppose my biggest fear would be getting swept. I’ve slowly been increasing speed, my PR for the half is 2:54, so it is doable if I am able to increase the distance.

If you have already done a half - I think you are in position to go for Dopey with proper training and following a plan (whether Run Disney's, Hal Higdon's, DopeyBadger's). I wouldn't recommend someone that hasn't even run a 5K to go for Dopey. (I know there are people that have done it though).

When did registration get posponed? And does anyone know why? I’m guessing you all discussed this already.

When did registration get posponed? And does anyone know why? I’m guessing you all discussed this already.

They announce it last week (Tuesday 4/10). The reason given was that they are "working to create a more streamlined registration experience."
We have some theories on what that might mean, but no official info.

This is true. I suppose my biggest fear would be getting swept. I’ve slowly been increasing speed, my PR for the half is 2:54, so it is doable if I am able to increase the distance.

Dopey 2019 will be my first full.

A challenge to my memory, but I feel like these testimonials were from first time marathoners doing Dopey.

Name: Anon #1
Marathon Weekend Race: Dopey Challenge
Training Plan Duration: 15 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 4 and 5 alternating
# of Hard Days: 2 and 3 alternating
Peak Week Duration: 7:02:02
Peak Week Mileage: 38.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:31:33
Peak Single Run Mileage: 14 miles
Testimonial: I was definitely skeptical about the lack of overall long distance runs leading into Dopey, but the proof of the efficacy of my plan was in the complete lack of soreness I experienced after the races. I woke up Monday morning with no stiffness in my legs!!! Not to mention, I had no intention of running any PRs this weekend, as I wanted to stop for many character photos and yet, Billy's plan actually increased my overall pace as I DID PR the 5K and ran the 10K (with the same amount of photo stops) 15 minutes faster than at last year's Wine & Dine!!!

So thank you so much!! I had a phenomenal weekend experience!

Name: Anisum
Training Plan Duration: 16 weeks
Days per Week: 5 then 6 for remaining 8 weeks
# of Hard Days: 2 then 3
Peak Week Duration: 9:00:43
Peak Week Mileage: 38.25 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:30:34
Peak Single Run Mileage: 11 miles
Testimonial: I would say that while I had read the research regarding cumulative fatigue I got many skeptical looks from others when I explained I maxed out at 11 miles when training for the Dopey. I think evidence from my training and that of others shows that it works. Billy wrote a plan with my schedule and needs in mind and I definitely got what I wanted. I spent time in the park each day and walked at least six miles between resorts and bus time when I wasn't running. Despite that aside from a little soreness in my feet and legs immediately following the marathon I felt great. I was able to walk without looking like something ran me over the next day. More importantly for my running as a whole Billy's plan taught me how to listen to my body and rely on my feelings which lead to a more successful race experience. Where before I may have rushed to stick to a certain pace leading to a crash at the end, I was able to pull back and run at a pace that made me comfortable without worrying about time because I knew I would finish strong. I didn't hit an insurmountable wall that I felt I wouldn't be able to run through, I always felt like even if my feet hurt it was more of an annoyance that could easily be pushed through rather than a showstopper. I had an amazing weekend experience and felt great because I was well trained. Thanks so much Billy!

Name: Dr Q
Training Plan Duration: 17 weeks
Days per Week: 4 running + 1 cycle + 1 swim
# of Hard Days: 2
Peak Week Duration: 6:46:50
Peak Week Mileage: 39 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32:16
Peak Single Run Mileage: 15 miles
Testimonial: Billy's training plan was the best training plan I've used to date. He was extremely thorough with gathering information from me from the start and took my personal goals, fitness and triathlon training into account as he prepared my plan. The plan may seem overwhelming at first, but by the time I got to the longer runs I did feel prepared and confident. When it came to race day, I was able to out perform even my own expectations with ease, confidence and nothing but a few blisters on my toes (which were my own fault!)

Name: Anon #9
Training Plan Duration: 12 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Run/Walk
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days: 2
Peak Week Duration: 8:04:37
Peak Week Mileage: 34.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:51:31
Peak Single Run Mileage: 12 miles
Testimonial: thank you so much for my training plan! All 4 of the races were great, I completely surprised myself and didn't struggle in the marathon! I kept to the intervals for all 4 of the races for the majority of the time (the start of the races were pretty congested). I didn't have too much soreness either which was a shock as I thought I might struggle to carry on the in the parks but I didn't have that problem! Again thank you so much for helping, I don't know how it would have gone if I had carried on training the way that I was!

@DopeyBadger your plans always intrigue me but I feel like I’m way too much a newbie to racing for your plans lol

I work with all levels of runners. As @lhermiston stated my tag line should be, "All kinds of plans. For all kinds of runners."

From the first time 5k'er to the sub-3 hour marathoner. The plans are completely customizable as well. Which means I fit running around your life instead of your life around running. It's all about trying to find the right balance. I won't lie though, the Dopey plans are tough. But they are accomplishable. I do run/walk, continuous, 3 day, 4 day, 5 day, 6 day, etc. You tell me what you can do and I mold a plan around you using my philosophies.

Is it bad that I actually am briefly considering Dopey? With the move of weekends next year the full marathon would actually fall on my birthday, and it would be pretty neat to earn 3 medals that day...but I have never run a full in my life.

There’s plenty of time to train up to a full. The consensus I’ve seen on these boards is if you can do a full, you can do Dopey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter