Here we go for those on 18 week training plans, tomorrow is the day to get at it.
Yep. Anyone that wants to help keep me honest please let me know :)

Actually, my week 1 looks like this:

Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 3 miles
Saturday - 6 miles

Here we go! (though I also ran 4 miles today, but hey, Tuesday is the "official" kickoff...

Hottest: 103 degrees on the Capital to Coast relay in Texas in 2016. That relay as a whole was my worst running experience to date: three legs totaling 16 miles in hot weather, on hot asphalt, with no shade, over the course of 36 hours without sleep, cramped up in a van between runs so that I couldn’t recover. All made worse by the pressure of not wanting to let my teammates down. I had been in good shape that season but absolutely fell apart afterward because I was so turned off to running. I’ve been struggling with motivation ever since.

Coldest: ~20 degrees in NY. Didn’t seem remarkable at the time because I layered up.

This year my New Years Day 5k was a feels like temp of -12....so somewhere around that is lowest (we had some bitterly cold days this winter!).

Highest is somewhere in the 90s.

I am still trying to get back into running post Lyme/chronic fatigue. I did a walk run for the first time in a month last week and did a “Plogging” run yesterday (Swedish thing where you pick up trash while running), and feel good. Don’t want to jinx it, but hopefully things are truly turning for the better.

I don't even check the temperature that often. I just know that running summer in Arkansas has been a you-know-what this year. Hot & humid until October, probably.

The coldest RACE I ever ran was the 2017 WDW Marathon. I think running in that was perfectly fine, but waiting around in the cold and wind was not pleasant.

Hottest: 103 degrees on the Capital to Coast relay in Texas in 2016. That relay as a whole was my worst running experience to date: three legs totaling 16 miles in hot weather, on hot asphalt, with no shade, over the course of 36 hours without sleep, cramped up in a van between runs so that I couldn’t recover. All made worse by the pressure of not wanting to let my teammates down. I had been in good shape that season but absolutely fell apart afterward because I was so turned off to running. I’ve been struggling with motivation ever since.

Coldest: ~20 degrees in NY. Didn’t seem remarkable at the time because I layered up.

That relay sounds absolutely miserable.

The coldest RACE I ever ran was the 2017 WDW Marathon. I think running in that was perfectly fine, but waiting around in the cold and wind was not pleasant.

The wait was definitely the worst part. Once you got moving it wasn’t too bad.

I'm not sure about coldest and hottest. It's probably been around zero when I've run at home, definitely in the teens. Disneyland half 2017 was certainly hot, but no worse than home. I think my husband were better off than people who aren't used to humidity since we're from Ohio.

My absolute most uncomfortable race experience was EVL half 2017 in Ellicottville, New York. The race started at noon, which is great because it's warmed up so you don't have to wait in the cold. Rain was forecast for that evening, but not until we should have been done and on the way home. Mid -50s so I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt (and a costume since it was a Halloween race). The rain starts to drizzle as we are waiting to start and doesn't stop the entire time. I was so cold and wet when it was over. It would probably be a very pretty race, but I couldn't enjoy it.

Coldest I ever ran was a Thanksgiving day half marathon in 2013. I believe it was in the 20s at the start.
Second coldest was probably the 5K and 10K at this year's Marathon Weekend. I also guess this was just a little worse because we had to sit around in that cold for so long. Glad DW and I planned well with packing mylar blankers and other throwaway blankets.

I have done training runs in the teens before the sun came up.

The hottest was my first 10K in June 2012. We had a big heat wave that summer in Atlanta, and it was in full effect the week I had to run this race. It was already in the 80s for the early start. Miserable experience all around.

I am planning on doing Higdon’s Novice 1 plan.
For those that have trained/completed a marathon doing a similar plan, do you feel that 1 20 miler adequately prepared you for the race??
I am doubting myself now (you know, before the plan even starts...)
I like having 2 20ish milers in my plan. First, because if Life happens and I can't do one, I have a back-up. Second, because if Life doesn't happen and I do both, one is almost always better weather than the other, which is just nice. And third, because I genuinely enjoy those long-long training runs! I can't say with any certainty whether or not doing two makes me better prepared, but it's worked for me so far, so I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, what is the coldest temperature you've run in? What is the hottest temperature you've run in? And what were just the most miserable conditions you've run in? (Obligatory Disney connection - who knows what kind of weather we're going to get for marathon weekend??)
SAFD: If I go way, way back to my teens, I probably ran in temps hovering near zero. But in more recent years (because that was 30+ years ago), either the Frozen 5K or this yea'rs WDW 5K would be the coldest - so high 20s/low 30s? Hottest is pretty much every summer here in FL, but I recall one run in particular when the Feels Like was 108 (I think actual temp may have been 99)- that was pretty toasty!

ODC: I'm going with warm and possibly rainy for the 2019 WDW Marathon. Chilly, but not frigid, 5K, moderate 10K, cool but rising to temperate half.

I'm catching up after being on vacation for a week...LOL.

I am planning on doing Higdon’s Novice 1 plan.
For those that have trained/completed a marathon doing a similar plan, do you feel that 1 20 miler adequately prepared you for the race??
I am doubting myself now (you know, before the plan even starts...)

Before my first full, the longest run I did was 16 miles so I think you will be just fine!

SAFD catchup:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari driver, for sure.
  • Coldest was in the teens with a windchill in the single digits. Hottest is pretty much every day from April until October...most temps in the feels like over 100, with humidity of 1000%. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity, but I would take running in hot weather over cold any day!

I'm currently on "peak week" of my Chicago marathon training plan. So my legs are very much looking forward to sitting in a chair all day. Have my longest duration run on Sunday and some big weekday miles coming up. The idea of turning around from a marathon and then training for another or dopey just sounds OOOOOF. Big props to everyone who has and will do that.
I'm probably gonna take weeks off and then do a shortened training plan for my wdw HM. Unless I fall and bump my head during Chicago and decide Goofy is a sensible idea.

In food news...my dad and I changed our Sunday dinner from Rose n Crown to Tokyo Dining. We've been on a sushi kick together on Saturdays and so it feels right we celebrate with sushilluminations for our trip. Won't stop us from having a pint though that day.

SAFD: I think the coldest was in the 20's and hottest in the low 90's (that was many moons ago, 90's now are a no-go!).
I think I would rather run in the cold than hot, but even just thinking about the cold makes my ears hurt.

I'm currently on "peak week" of my Chicago marathon training plan. So my legs are very much looking forward to sitting in a chair all day. Have my longest duration run on Sunday and some big weekday miles coming up. The idea of turning around from a marathon and then training for another or dopey just sounds OOOOOF. Big props to everyone who has and will do that.
I'm probably gonna take weeks off and then do a shortened training plan for my wdw HM. Unless I fall and bump my head during Chicago and decide Goofy is a sensible idea.

In food news...my dad and I changed our Sunday dinner from Rose n Crown to Tokyo Dining. We've been on a sushi kick together on Saturdays and so it feels right we celebrate with sushilluminations for our trip. Won't stop us from having a pint though that day.
Yay for peak week! You'll crush it!

"Sushilluminations" is a great term. :rotfl2:

Coldest: 30° this January on a training run, and it was my fastest 5K ever. Luckily we don’t have below freezing temps often.

Warmest: I don’t know an exact number but we’ve had a lot of high 90s this summer with real feel of 105+

Goofy IS a sensible idea! You can totally do the half and the full! Since you're going to be down there anyway, why not score some extra medals! :D

Sushilluminations....that’s awesome!

SAFD: I have no idea on temps for training runs. Hottest is this summer for sure. I know I had to wear gloves, long pants, long sleeves, vest and a hat for a few runs in Januarythis year. Hottest race was the 2018 Princess Half. Coldest race was the 2015 Princess 10K (Frozen was definitely the appropriate theme that year!).

I'm newer to running and being in Dallas, I haven't run into cold too much, which is good because I can handle heat better. I think the hottest was doing a five mile race starting at 9 AM on July 4. I've been lucky in that the 2016 WDW marathon was pretty warm and the LA Marathon in 2017 was cool early but got very warm later. I think the coldest I've run in was the low 30s. It was a training run for the first marathon and I learned a lot. I thought it would be a good idea to wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants and then bring a backpack to put the sweatshirt in when I warmed up. I ditched the sweatshirt at Mile 1 (on a 17 mile training run) and learned that I hate running with backpacks or utility belts on. I also learned the word "chafing" the hard way. I just went with shorts and t shirt the next time and dealt with the cold.

Yep. Anyone that wants to help keep me honest please let me know :)

3 miles for you today!!!! So Exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ls1zvEZj0JEo10VMIzi_dHKKGH4sZ-aMZLea2fJeJGXx7Zgjfqydr4I2G1wcbD46Fzza=s0-d

nevermind all, I just saw last year it was 9/20 that they did the reveal

Ooooohhhhhhhh I forgot medal reveal could be this month.
Though medal reveals are gonna equal me having "do all the races" ideas because I'm attracted to shiny things

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter