I grew up in North Florida and lived in Macon for 4 years. Homecomin has great biscuits and fried chicken. Art Smith lives in Jasper, FL so southern roots are evident.

The spiced pecans and pickles aren’t as good as some other places.
Thanks all for the Homecomin’ reviews. I think we will take advantage of the offerings at the bar. And will be drinking more than @rteetz sweet teas!

@Dis_Yoda small world. I grew up in Warner Robins.

I will join in on the marathon training updates... Yesterday I ran 18 miles. Amazingly, other than some tenderness in my knees, I feel just fine! I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my massage therapist spending my entire appointment last week focusing on the waist down, or, if my body is getting used to the crazy long miles. Crazy stuff!

What I cannot believe is that I only have two more crazy long runs left (two 20 mile runs in December). Everything else is 13 miles or less, which sounds like nothing! Who am I?

SAFD: Whether I’m w/ DH or my sister, we tend to go to Disney Springs during each trip. DH will only go to the parks sparingly, but he does like DS for the variety of food options. My sister & I love to hit up Sprinkles during race weekends for BOGO cupcakes.

DH & I tried Homecomin’ and the Boathouse last October. I thought the fried chicken at Homecomin’ was OK, but not really spectacular. I feel like maybe it was too greasy. I wouldn’t be opposed to going back & trying something else.

We tried the Boathouse during that same trip and I thought it was “meh”. For the prices, I’m not inclined to go back.

DH & I like to grab a seat at the bar at Paradiso 37. We happened to try the Dipping Trio (guac, chili con carne & spinach dip) on our first visit, and we really like it. We’ve gone back at least 2 more times just to get that.

DH & I really liked Bongo’s when we went in Feb. 2016, but it wasn’t that great when my sis & I went the following year.

We also like Blaze & Earl of Sandwich. There’s still so many places that I’d like to try, but once we find something we like, we tend to stick w/ it.

For those who want to start freaking out about the weather for marathon weekend and enjoy the fun of the untrustworthy long range weather forecast I have the following:

Date - Morning Low - Daytime High - Conditions
1/10 - 54 - 74 - PM Rain
1/11 - 55 - 75 - AM T-Storm, Cloudy
1/12 - 55 - 76 - Cloudy, a T-Storm
1/13 - 54 - 76 - A T-Storm or Two

Temp wise not to bad IMO, but looks like it could be a wet one. We all know this will change a billion times between now and marathon weekend, but I thought it would be fun to check it every few days to see how it changes over time.

For those who want to start freaking out about the weather for marathon weekend and enjoy the fun of the untrustworthy long range weather forecast I have the following:

Date - Morning Low - Daytime High - Conditions
1/10 - 54 - 74 - PM Rain
1/11 - 55 - 75 - AM T-Storm, Cloudy
1/12 - 55 - 76 - Cloudy, a T-Storm
1/13 - 54 - 76 - A T-Storm or Two

Temp wise not to bad IMO, but looks like it could be a wet one. We all know this will change a billion times between now and marathon weekend, but I thought it would be fun to check it every few days to see how it changes over time.
Way too early to even think about rain on race weekend.

I'm pretty happy, did 14 miles today and I'm not feeling it too bad. Just curious because I didn't see an expiration date, but is there usually one for Clif Energy gels? I had two and used one today. Best case, I got them while running the LA Marathon in March 2017, otherwise they were from the WDW Marathon in 2016. Seemed to work ok. Right after, I went to the running store and they didn't have Clif gels, but had GU. Is that pretty similar to Clif or any major difference? They also had Jelly Belly energy jelly beans. Has anyone tried these before? Thanks! I'm getting excited! I laughed because I did the Dallas Turkey Trot 5k on Thursday and they have an 8 miler option, and I thought about doing it and then realized it wasn't a long enough training run for me at this stage.

I never cared for the consistency or taste of the gels I've used the sports beans and really like them. The only problem I've ever had was shoving too many in my mouth at the same time while running.

Great topics all around... Hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving!

SAFD:
I haven't done much at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs... Our few trips have always included WoD and some type of casual restaurant. We've done Wolfgang Puck Express a couple of times (I love their Butternut Squash soup). We also try and hit Ghiradelli as well. Last time I was there I went to Sprinkles and tried the cupcake ATM. Cupcake was pretty good, but a bit dry. We've been to Earl of Sandwich and Blaze outside of DS and we love them both. Has anyone tried D-Lux Burger? I've heard great things about it.

Running Fuel:
I know they receive mixed reviews, but I'm a big fan of GU. My stomach has never had an issue with them, and they have been the best way for me to get energy quickly - esp. helping at the beginning of a race. My favorite flavor is Vanilla Bean. I'll also take another GU about 90 min into a race, then do Clif Blocks after that for the remainder of the race. For the blocks, I usually just let them dissolve over time as opposed to try to chewing them and consuming them quickly. I know I'm not getting the full potential of the block all at once that way... but it gives me something to consume slowly that helps keep my mind off running. Favorite flavor is Salted Watermelon.

Training:
It's been great hearing about everyone else's training! Many of you are dealing with really crappy weather. I should never complain with what our weather is, as many of you are dealing with way worse. Got in 15 miles on T-giving morning and 18 miles two days later (Saturday). I was a bit fatigued on Saturday afternoon, and physically wiped out, but otherwise ok. We started in a blizzard on Saturday morning, but it got better as our run wore on. Weather on Thanksgiving was cold, but not wet. Good luck with training everybody!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter