• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For people that have had family be spectators in the past what is the best way to do it? This is my first marathon and the first time my parents and sister are cheering me on for a run Disney event. I’m thinking have them there at the start then monorail to mk then head of to animal kingdom parking lot then for them to go to Epcot (where we are spending the day) and when I get close have them head to the finish? I typically run a 8-9 minute mile at beginning of races but I’m trying to slow down to pace myself. Will they have time to get from the start to mk?

Start to MK could be an issue since the start line is a good distance from the monorails. Just the distance from security checkpoint to start line is a good distance. There are not even a lot of really good spectator areas for the start.

I'd say have then just head to MK.

Spectators cannot be right at the start line/start corrals. They can walk down and watch the road right down from the start line but runners are mostly on the other side and of the road and with the volume of runners really almost impossible to see any one specific person.

I like the signs that do the math - like "You paid $Xx.XX. per mile for this!"

I also like "Race Liar" who yells out things like - "You are almost there!" "Just another mile or so to go!" when you're at like mile 6! That always makes me chuckle.

"The Run is Strong with This One"

Run for....then pictures of Mickey-shaped food

"Han Solo might have done the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs, but he never ran a marathon!"

"Chuck Norris has counted to infinity...twice...but never ran a marathon!"

And - I might have said "I love you!" to the first spectator I saw at WWOS that had a box of tissues last year - my nose was running like crazy. I appreciated that soooooo much!

So what happens around Expedition Everest during the marathon? I now that it will be open during a part of the race but does anyone know for how long? Also, how much time would you guess it takes out of your race to ride? Are there other rides that are open during the race?

Race goals: 1) Finish Dopey! 2) Just a few pictures 3) Go on a ride during the race 4) cross the finish line with margarita in hand!!

So what happens around Expedition Everest during the marathon? I now that it will be open during a part of the race but does anyone know for how long? Also, how much time would you guess it takes out of your race to ride? Are there other rides that are open during the race?

Race goals: 1) Finish Dopey! 2) Just a few pictures 3) Go on a ride during the race 4) cross the finish lone with margarita in have!!
It opens when the park opens (9am) and stays open. It depends on your timing. I’ve waited like 2 minutes and like 10 minutes. Once the parks are open you technically could ride anything you want. People do ToT, RnRc, Gran Fiesta Tour, and more.

A couple of signs I have seen that are pretty good are:

"Blisters are Braille for Awesome"
"Is that a gel in your pocket or are you happy to see me"
"Pain is temporary posting on Facebook is forever"
"Toenails are overrated"

and lately my favorite
"Your running better than the government"

@minniegirl19 i would tell family to skip the start and head to TTC. Walk a bit into the parking lot catch you before you get into MK, then have them walk over to GF they can see you when you leave MK. Next bus to AK, see you outside of the park near the bus terminal. This one could be dicey if you are moving fast and busses are moving slow. Next bus to a boardwalk hotel and catch you on the boardwalk before hitting Epcot. Then meet at family reunion area. Will miss you at finish but will be able to find open spots to cheer you on.

Just suggestions though.

I like the marathon jackets and the coffee cup. I’d prefer a different color for a Dopey jacket and it looks more like a pullover. I’d rather have something with a full zipper. Maybe the men’s is different?

A couple of signs I have seen that are pretty good are:

"Blisters are Braille for Awesome"

"Toenails are overrated"

I should probably carry my own sign during the race w/ both of these on it. I don’t know what to do, but my right pinky toe is a hot mess. :crazy2:

I got a giant blister on the tip of my toe during the last 4 miles of my 20 mile run on 12/23. It hurt so bad that I expected to find my toenail had ripped off, but somehow it hadn’t.

Between my ankles and my toe, I’ve barely run since then. The blister drained on its own, but now I’ve developed a hematoma on the tip/toe pad as a result of my short run last Sunday. The nail isn’t black, but it does look funky.

I’m going to track down some toe caps and hope that they will help my toe (or at least keep the blood somewhat contained when my toe decides to jump ship). :sail:

I believe this is the new model Len has discussed where they account for the possibility that Disney isn’t staffing the park properly. Disney did that last year and January overall felt way more crowded than it should’ve been.

Len says a blog post explaining the jump will be out soon.

https://twitter.com/lentesta/status/1081163906939346945?s=21

To me, there is a noticeable difference between crowd levels and expected wait times. The problem is, for so many years it made sense that they would coincide but as Len and others have been discussing the last year or so, thats not the case anymore. It's gotten to the point that I almost expect 7-10 wait times after 10 am for just about everything and plan my day around rope drops, EMH, early morning magic, FP+ and then I either expect to wait 30+ minutes for everything or hope to pick up extra FP+.

So I will not be running this year (hence the hiatus) but will probably be spectating from animal kingdom/ yacht club.... but for the life of me I cannot figure out a witty sign... any suggestions?

At the last Space Coast, there was a guy who made his way up and down the entire course with some very good signs. The one I remember was "I drink Capri Sun from a glass". That really made me smile. I wish I could remember some of the others.

I remember a sign from my 1st marathon (Detroit) around mile 25 just before a small but steep hill. The sign read "I don't know you but I am so proud of you". I just about bawled. I will always remember that fondly.

Race goals: 1) Finish Dopey! 2) Just a few pictures 3) Go on a ride during the race 4) cross the finish line with margarita in hand!!

Once the parks open, all of the rides are open too. The easiest ones to get to while remaining relatively close to the course are Everest, Tower of Terror, and Rock n Roller Coaster. From past experience, it adds about 30-45 minutes to your total race time to do ToT and RnRC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter