Marathon Weekend 2020

Hi runners! So I've been slacking hard. I need to get back to working out and running regularly, but I'm having trouble wanting to get out of bed. I was so good, but I've lost all motivation. Maybe because it's so humid out or maybe because I haven't signed up for any races. Maybe I need to contact DopeyBadger and start a new plan? What motivates you besides races?

What motivates you besides races?

Having a solid goal in mind and a support team. I decided to finally pay for coaching and let me tell you - I know I am not her only client, but she makes me feel like I am. And I get text and message her all I want to and it's amazing! I've been going through some depression and life changes in the last year and I knew the only thing to get me off the couch and back to training would be accountability. I get a schedule once per week, take it day by day and set small milestones.

Right now, I know I'm getting back to basics as I train for Chicago Marathon (Goal time is 5:29 or faster). She's got me now running 3/1 intervals and my max mileage is about 20 miles per week this week (3, 4, 4, 8) AND I'm taking it slow. I'm running no faster than 13:15-13:30 per mile -- and that's okay because speed matters not right now, unless it's a speed session :)

We will support you here if you'd like too!

What motivates you besides races?

A few things:

-I lived an unhealthy lifestyle for most of my life. I worked really really hard to reverse those effects of a lifetime of bad choices. I know that if I don't continue to train in some aerobic manner, then it's probably only a matter of time before I slip back to where I was.

-Now that I've picked up the habit of exercise and eating right, I made myself short term and long term goals along the way to stay motivated. I know I won't be able to check off these goals by not training. So I continue to push the buttons in an effort to try and complete these items on my list. I made some goals that were achievable within a few months, a few years, a lifetime, and probably some I'll never achieve.

102 Goals

-I'll echo what @BuckeyeBama said as well. I've had a few times in my running journey where I couldn't run. Those are the times that really drive home what a gift it is to have the ability to run on other days. So I cherish all the days I get to run.

-Lastly, I'm trying to set a good example for my daughter. In one way, showing her that you shouldn't let other people set your limits. If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it. Sometimes the things you want in life don't happen instantly, that you might have to work consistently for 7 years and still come up short. And in another way, by showing her that a healthy diet and regular exercise is just a part of life. Not something you necessarily have to do, but something that helps keep you healthy. Help guide her through my actions in a hope that she doesn't make some of the same poor choices I made for many years of my life.

Well, although I haven't registered for a race yet, I did reserve a room today. Think I may actually do this again. I currently have Pop and Art reserved and want to cancel one (didn't mean to but Art became available right after I finished Pop). The prices are fairly close, any reason to do one over the other? It seems Art has two double beds whereas Pop has two queen but one is a pull out (not sure how comfortable that is). Thanks in advance.
I suggest you ask the murphy bed question on the Pop thread but my understanding is that both beds, regular and murphy, have the same matrices. Also, wood floor vs carpet, I think 🤔. For me, Queen beds and coffee maker (for that 3AM breakfast) are essentials.

Well, although I haven't registered for a race yet, I did reserve a room today. Think I may actually do this again. I currently have Pop and Art reserved and want to cancel one (didn't mean to but Art became available right after I finished Pop). The prices are fairly close, any reason to do one over the other? It seems Art has two double beds whereas Pop has two queen but one is a pull out (not sure how comfortable that is). Thanks in advance.
Both beds are the same. One just comes down from the wall to create more space when you aren't sleeping.

I’ll be in WDW at Saratoga from the 5th-10th. Not sure I want to brave the humidity though. Not used to that.

I can see that being a problem from those from the great North. DM me if you change your mind. I'm open to run/walking. I am mostly going to be knocking down some shorter runs but at least once I want to knock down something of least least two hours (I don't care about pace for that). Saratoga is a nice option for that too with DS next door.

Hi runners! So I've been slacking hard. I need to get back to working out and running regularly, but I'm having trouble wanting to get out of bed. I was so good, but I've lost all motivation. Maybe because it's so humid out or maybe because I haven't signed up for any races. Maybe I need to contact DopeyBadger and start a new plan? What motivates you besides races?

I’ve found that having a race coming up helps. Maybe sign up for something local?

I don't HAVE to run, I GET to run.
I love this!
Having a solid goal in mind and a support team. I decided to finally pay for coaching and let me tell you - I know I am not her only client, but she makes me feel like I am. And I get text and message her all I want to and it's amazing! I've been going through some depression and life changes in the last year and I knew the only thing to get me off the couch and back to training would be accountability. I get a schedule once per week, take it day by day and set small milestones.

Right now, I know I'm getting back to basics as I train for Chicago Marathon (Goal time is 5:29 or faster). She's got me now running 3/1 intervals and my max mileage is about 20 miles per week this week (3, 4, 4, 8) AND I'm taking it slow. I'm running no faster than 13:15-13:30 per mile -- and that's okay because speed matters not right now, unless it's a speed session :)

We will support you here if you'd like too!
I definitely need the support
102 Goals

-I'll echo what @BuckeyeBama said as well. I've had a few times in my running journey where I couldn't run. Those are the times that really drive home what a gift it is to have the ability to run on other days. So I cherish all the days I get to run.

-Lastly, I'm trying to set a good example for my daughter.
Goals are usually my motivators, but thanks to your training plan I broke my half marathon goal by a lot! Your training rocks.

And I love showing out girls some healthy habits, they don't enjoy running but they enjoy triathlons, they train with DH.

I run to manage my stress. I run to be a happier person. But above all else, I run because I like being this person:
Being happy and healthy is a great motivation. Your transformation is amazing!

I’ve found that having a race coming up helps. Maybe sign up for something local?

I have not, the only races I have planned aren't until October, which means I will probably start training in late July.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I just need to dig deep and do it. I am much happier when I'm running and exercising regularly. I'm going to start by setting weekly goal. My goals for the rest of the week are to run Thursday & Saturday, and lift weights on Friday. That should be easy, it's only 3 days.

Frontier flights are up for Marathon Weekend.

Thanks for posting this, as I now see Spirit flights are finally open as well. Now to decide if I book now or wait until the prices go down (last time I bought my flights in November and paid $120 for two people round-trip - it was a steal). Right now Spirit says there are only 5 seats left, but not sure I believe that. I'd have to pay about $220 total now.

Frontier is also cheap (same price almost), but I'd have to drive 45 minutes further through the city and pay for parking.

Mostly a lurker but have posted a few times and been on the board for a couple of years. This will be my 3rd Marathon Weekend but my first with my wife (finally suckered her into it :)) as she agreed to do race weekend! Only problem, she wants to do the 5k and 10k (I am doing Dopey again) and the bibs are sold out. I have found so many TA's but does anyone have a recommendation for one they have used and liked? If so, can you either PM me or reply here.

Thanks for any help, there are so many TA choices and while I am frequent traveler, I have never used a TA.

I suggest you ask the murphy bed question on the Pop thread but my understanding is that both beds, regular and murphy, have the same matrices. Also, wood floor vs carpet, I think 🤔. For me, Queen beds and coffee maker (for that 3AM breakfast) are essentials.

I asked on the Pop thread and yes, it sounds like they are the same mattresses. I ended up going with a little mermaid room at AOA for my friend & I.

The energy is palpable.

YES!!!

Two things:

First, a SAFD callout. I want to mix things up for a few weeks with a Disney/runDisney version of “Would You Rather?” and I’m looking for some submissions.

For example: Would you rather get a free stay at a Deluxe resort, but not get to go to the parks OR get unlimited fast passes, but have to sleep in your car?

These should be tough decisions (mine isn't the best example, I’m sure you all can do better)! I’m asking for anyone with ideas to DM them to me and we’ll roll them out over SAFD for the next few weeks.

Second, does anyone recall when discounted bibs started rolling out last year and what the discounts were? Is it possible to eventually snag a Goofy challenge bib for less than what’s being listed right now? And yes, I know it’s possible no discounts are offered.

Second, does anyone recall when discounted bibs started rolling out last year and what the discounts were? Is it possible to eventually snag a Goofy challenge bib for less than what’s being listed right now? And yes, I know it’s possible no discounts are offered.
Discounts started roughly when the Wine and Dine goodie bags went out as they offered $50 off Dopey and I think like $25-30 off Goofy/marathon. TA discounts are usually pretty late and depend on what the TA needs to offload.

Discounts started roughly when the Wine and Dine goodie bags went out as they offered $50 off Dopey and I think like $25-30 off Goofy/marathon. TA discounts are usually pretty late and depend on what the TA needs to offload.

How does one watch out for/get those discounts? Do you have to book through a specific TA?

And, what’s your opinion on whether Goofy will sell out?

I love doing the 10k's at Disney. Did one half and never want to do that again. lol The medals always make the pain worth it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter