• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: A mix of good hydration including Dole Whip, AC lunches, pool time and the occasional rain pour in August! But one of our best traditions is to spend a week at the beach before going to WDW, this way we are acclimated to the humid heat and to being together 24/7.

Last edited:
I was waiting until I knew for sure it would work out, but I'm registered for the 1/2 marathon! I knew this year was not going to work out for marathon training, but I just can't pass up the race weekend completely. It will be interesting to see how running the "non marquee event" feels like. I think I'll just be happy to participate! Booked at Pop for a couple of solo days and then hubby and friends will join me :)

SAFD: Floridian here... best way to keep cool in the summer? A Silver AP that blocks out the hottest months of the year. BAM! :banana::rotfl: When we have done parks in the summer, we just avoided daytime by sleeping late and hitting the parks at night. Actually, that's pretty much how we spend our summers in general, not just at WDW lol!

Never too early to get started on the discussion for next year, right?

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend will be held on January 8th-12th, 2020. Registration opens April 16th.

New to RD. Do all Runs come with dri-fit shirts or should I bring my own?

You will receive a dry fit shirt for each race (and each challenge, if applicable) as part of your registration. That being said, it's better to bring something that you are comfortable running in rather than planning to race in a new, unfamiliar shirt.

I'll echo what @camaker said and strongly encourage you to bring and wear the running clothes you normally wear during training. Nothing new on race day is a good mantra for a reason. The last thing you want is to wear the race shirt and find out at mile 16 of the full that it causes chafing problems.

I'll echo what @camaker said and strongly encourage you to bring and wear the running clothes you normally wear during training. Nothing new on race day is a good mantra for a reason. The last thing you want is to wear the race shirt and find out at mile 16 of the full that it causes chafing problems.
I am surprised how many people I see wearing race shirts to the race. Not only is it something new, but I personally think it is bad luck.

I don't see too much of a problem with them at the actual race but I think people who wear them before the race are crazy. Like Dopey this year so many were wearing them at the expo.
I always find this wearing of the race shirts at the expo before any races have been run perplexing. Don't they already have a shirt on? Are they adding a layer on top because they're chilly and forgot to bring an extra shirt/jacket/sweater? Is it an excited "Hey, I'm going to run this race!!" advertisement? Whyyy???? I really want to know lol!

I always find this wearing of the race shirts at the expo before any races have been run perplexing. Don't they already have a shirt on? Are they adding a layer on top because they're chilly and forgot to bring an extra shirt/jacket/sweater? Is it an excited "Hey, I'm going to run this race!!" advertisement? Whyyy???? I really want to know lol!
That is weird to wear it to the expo...I think it is probably an excitement thing. I have seen people wearing "I Did It" shirts to the race. I think that is extra bad luck. :)

That is weird to wear it to the expo...I think it is probably an excitement thing. I have seen people wearing "I Did It" shirts to the race. I think that is extra bad luck. :)
I can’t agree with this sentiment more. While running the marathon in 2014 (I did Dopey), I passed a man wearing an “I Did it” shirt for the Dopey Challenge sitting at a medical tent about mile 21. I don’t know if he finished or not, I really hope he did, but my first thought was “why would you tempt fate like that”.

I’ll echo the never wear something new on race day sentiment and add the shirts, while long sleeve, would not have been warm enough for most people several mornings of Dope this year and the last 3 marathons. Definitely bring your own gear and pack for all weather.

And count me among those too superstitious to wear race shirts until after the race.

I’ll echo the never wear something new on race day sentiment and add the shirts, while long sleeve, would not have been warm enough for most people several mornings of Dope this year and the last 3 marathons. Definitely bring your own gear and pack for all weather.

And count me among those too superstitious to wear race shirts until after the race.

Me too! I'm even hesitant to buy jackets and other items when I travel to a race like Comrades for fear of jinxing myself and not finishing.

Sooo upset! American Airlines changed my flight! I was taking the red eye and arriving in Orlando at 10:40 on Wednesday morning! They cancelled the red eye and have me on the earliest flight out but that still doesn't put me into Orlando until 4:40pm! Ugh. Can't wait to call them and try to cancel without a fee!

You should easily be able to change with that flight arrival time difference--and you should be able to pick same class (e.g. Main Cabin) with no fare class difference +/_ one day. You might also be able to cancel without penalty if no flight works for you. Call and be persistent (but polite!)

Me too! I'm even hesitant to buy jackets and other items when I travel to a race like Comrades for fear of jinxing myself and not finishing.

This is pretty much the reason I’ll never buy any “I Did It” merch. I think I’ve even told my wife that if she bought any for me, to keep it a secret until I finished and give it away if I didn’t.

I am surprised how many people I see wearing race shirts to the race. Not only is it something new, but I personally think it is bad luck.

I don't really believe in luck so won't say anything else about that. If you look at my avatar you'll see I'm wearing a race shirt. I typically don't but I had my favorite short sleeve shirt underneath and the race was cooler than I planned for and since I had a new long sleeve shirt I decided last minute to wear it. I honestly thought I was going to hand it off to my wife around the Grand Floridian but ended up wearing the entire race.

Now, I would never wear a "I did it" shirt before actually "doing it" since until then, it is a lie.

So far, yes, they are Champion brand dry-fit shirts. I personally like them a lot for running.
Now, I would never wear a "I did it" shirt before actually "doing it" since until then, it is a lie.
Plus, while the race shirts are tech material, aren’t the “I did it” shirts made of cotton?!

Does anyone have a sizing chart for the preorder jackets? I want one for marathon weekend... even though I won't wear it pre- race. 😊 Also, what is the current policy...can you return them or switch sizes? I tried to find an answer, but found conflicting information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter