• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I’ll echo the never wear something new on race day sentiment and add the shirts, while long sleeve, would not have been warm enough for most people several mornings of Dope this year and the last 3 marathons. Definitely bring your own gear and pack for all weather.

And count me among those too superstitious to wear race shirts until after the race.
I won't even buy an "I did it!" shirt until I have actually done it. That is why I don't buy any rD ones - the expo is not open after the races are done. Had a number of friends who bought those shirts for the half that was canceled a few years ago. I asked then what they were going to do with them now. :upsidedow

Roxy rule: I can endure a new shirt for a 5k, but 10k+ is pushing it unless its a brand I always wear.

I'm on the "don't believe in luck" bandwagon when it comes to the race shirt topic. An actual shirt is not going to make you not finish a race. And if a tornado hits, it wasn't the shirts fault.
HOWEVER... I do believe in the power of race brain and so if wearing that shirt for that race gives you a positive mental edge that helps you mentally tell yourself that you will finish the race...then wear it! If wearing the shirt gives you a negative mental state that causes you to think bad thoughts and push you towards giving up...don't wear it. If shirts don't do anything to your mental state, then do or do not wear the shirt.

I personally like seeing shirts from other races because paying attention to what other people are wearing and where they might be from etc. is one thing that keeps my mind occupied during long/hard stretches of races. It's fun to see someone from a race I've ran.
Fun fact: passing someone who has a boston jacket or ironman tatoo is most fun...for a little bit before they inevitably pass me.

What I don't understand is wearing another race's shirt to a race. Really? Why would you wear a shirt that has nothing to do with the race you're running? That I don't get at all.

A lack of shirts you are willing to put pin holes in. A shirt you do not like the logo \color of and want to wear out. Still having more cotton than tech shirts in the drawer. Needing to stand out and picking a shirt color that clashes with the color of the race shirt. I have a green shirt from last fall that is a fine shirt, I just really do not like the all the printing on it - and it is shrinking for some weird reason - so it has become my go to race shirt in order to wear it out.

I did buy an I Did It shirt at the Expo before my first marathon, just because I was pretty sure I'd finish and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it after the race. But I didn't wear it until after I finished.

This was me for my first half this year. It was my first. Not finishing was not an option. And I really wanted the shirt. I absolutely did not wear it until after the race.

I always “earn” my race shirt before I wear it. Besides, if I wear it during the race, it’s too sweaty and stinky to wear in the parks AFTER the race!

At last year’s Atlanta Thanksgiving half, I ran near a woman wearing a Disney marathon shirt. It definitely gave us something to talk about! So I have no problem with people wearing race shirts from a previous race.

Another one for the after you’ve run camp. I like to head back and shower post race then wear the race shirt and medal out to the parks, specifically for any photopass ride where I can hold up the medal so that I get a different picture for each Disney run.
Although I did by a marathon weekend jacket so I wouldn’t miss out, I just waited until Monday to wear it.

I wore my previous year half shirt for the half marathon a couple years ago. The weather was a little cooler than I expected and I wanted something with long sleeves. I knew it would be fine for the race, if a little odd.

I never get “I Did It” shirts. I don’t know, I wouldn’t wear a race shirt if I didn’t finish the race so every race shirt implies “I Did It.” I’ve never felt it was a great slogan either; it feels a little condescending and undermines the achievement imo.

I do wear one specific race shirt before finishing the race. It has never been bad luck so far. Because the 5k shirt for Marathon Weekend is a hard, hot, uncomfortable, ill-fitting cotton monstrosity, I am forced to improvise on Thursday after the 5k (yes, I’m basic; I like wearing my race shirts the day after I finish the race at Disney). The Goofy shirt doesn’t have a great spot in the rotation as it gets pushed by both the Marathon shirt and Dopey shirt on Sunday and Monday, so I usually wear it on Thursday.

10K is back open!

If it was open , it’s closed again... I wonder if the longer races are selling slower than they may have expected. I kind of gauge this hotel availability. During the past few years most of the hotels started filling up quickly after they went online, but last year I noticed certain resorts that filled right away took longer. This year, I have found it even easier to find rooms-availability for Wednesday to Friday for some resorts have closed out room categories really fast but a ton of categories are available for the rest of the weekend. Or...maybe I just never noticed. Also, they seem to be waiting to open up cheer squad and race retreat, which I am not sure what that means.

If it was open , it’s closed again... I wonder if the longer races are selling slower than they may have expected. I kind of gauge this hotel availability. During the past few years most of the hotels started filling up quickly after they went online, but last year I noticed certain resorts that filled right away took longer. This year, I have found it even easier to find rooms-availability for Wednesday to Friday for some resorts have closed out room categories really fast but a ton of categories are available for the rest of the weekend. Or...maybe I just never noticed. Also, they seem to be waiting to open up cheer squad and race retreat, which I am not sure what that means.
Yeah it was open for only a short time.

Another thought on room availability is that in 2019 and 2020, Marathon Weekend isn’t quite as close to New Years as it had been the 2 or 3 years before that.

Well, count me in for marathon weekend. I just put a deposit down on All Star Movies (fingers crossed for a Mighty Ducks room!) and I registered for Goofy. Let’s do this!

My goals (if @DopeyBadger doesn't mind adding them to his list):

- Make the marathon a fun run. The only time I care about is having a good time. Character stops, drinks in AK, Expedition Everest and a drink across the finish line. Looking for some fellow runDisney all stars to run with!
- Do DATW from beginning to end.
- Check out the expo more.
- Embrace my first solo Disney experience, but hopefully find some fellow DISers to hang out with.

I can’t wait to see you all in LESS THAN 200 DAYS!

Well, count me in for marathon weekend. I just put a deposit down on All Star Movies (fingers crossed for a Mighty Ducks room!) and I registered for Goofy. Let’s do this!

- Make the marathon a fun run. The only time I care about is having a good time. Character stops, drinks in AK, Expedition Everest and a drink across the finish line. Looking for some fellow runDisney all stars to run with!
- Embrace my first solo Disney experience, but hopefully find some fellow DISers to hang out with.

SHOTS!

For the record, everyone is more than welcome to join us in 3am shots. I will take orders and bring in the goods.
(Yes, I know I haven't signed up for any races yet. I will most likely be doing Goofy, so we are looking at HM and Marathon mornings for shots. Unless I can make Dopey work out.)

For the record, everyone is more than welcome to join us in 3am shots. I will take orders and bring in the goods.
(Yes, I know I haven't signed up for any races yet. I will most likely be doing Goofy, so we are looking at HM and Marathon mornings for shots. Unless I can make Dopey work out.)

I can confirm that shots are the best way to start a race.

Assuming I sign up for Dopey, I’m in for shots except before the half. I doubt my friend wants me pacing her to a sub-2 if I’m doing shots in the corrals.

I’m crossing my fingers you can do Dopey! I can pull off shots before 5k and 10k...half and full I’m not sure!

Post race scotch.

But but but but what am I gonna do before the 5K and 10K?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter