Marathon Weekend 2020

I'm hoping it's closer to 50%. Prior to the construction -- which started in 2017 -- we ran through the back areas of DHS for many years.

A little more time in DHS is not too much ask.... it's good to have hope, right? :-)

Running through the backlot was always fun, even if the strobe effect tunnel seemed like a questionable at best decision for people in the 20+ mile range of a marathon.

It’s good to have hope but TSL, and to a slightly lesser extent Galaxy’s Edge, is pretty narrow. It can be pretty tough to navigate on a moderately busy day. It’s hard to imagine how they would funnel ticketed guests around a marathon course in that area.

I am looking forward to see what refurbishment they have done at BB. It reopens the next day to general public.

I am looking forward to see what refurbishment they have done at BB. It reopens the next day to general public.
It’s just the typical yearly refurb. Fixing the slides and replacing pieces that need it. I know summit plummet has full sections of the slide being replaced.

Glad everyone is enjoying all the speculation. 🙂
My brother sent me the podcast link last night right before I had to take a finance test for my MBA program. Provided a good break to think about and analyze something else for an hour.

I’m still new to the rundisney community. In the past has someone in Feron’s position done a podcast like that and release that type of information before the maps?

Glad everyone is enjoying all the speculation. 🙂
My brother sent me the podcast link last night right before I had to take a finance test for my MBA program. Provided a good break to think about and analyze something else for an hour.

I’m still new to the rundisney community. In the past has someone in Feron’s position done a podcast like that and release that type of information before the maps?
No we don’t usually get anything before course release but we also don’t often get new courses. The courses are mostly the same year to year.

I was all set to have another push-up contest with the green army men at W&D this year. Unfortunately there was only one on the ramp with a line to take selfies with him. There was thus also no "encouragement" from the troops on the ramp. Maybe they were just on a short leave when I ran by.

Hopefully the entire troop will be on the ramp (if we even run the ramp) for the Marathon in January.
When I passed the green army “man” at this year’s Wine & Dine it was actually a woman...
😯

I won't miss all the turns in WWOS, plus the highway there and out of it. However, it was a great place for character stops. I hope they add those in to Blizzard Beach or AK.

My thought too on the WWOS character stops. There are usually at least four photo ops in there and they typically include Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy. Joy and Sadness were there last year as well.

Running through the backlot was always fun, even if the strobe effect tunnel seemed like a questionable at best decision for people in the 20+ mile range of a marathon.
That was my favorite part of my first WDW Marathon! RIP Disco Tunnel :(

It’s good to have hope but TSL, and to a slightly lesser extent Galaxy’s Edge, is pretty narrow. It can be pretty tough to navigate on a moderately busy day. It’s hard to imagine how they would funnel ticketed guests around a marathon course in that area.
Right? And with ROTR open, too? I just can't see it happening.

I messed up I booked on the marathon weekend I’m sure it will be crazy crowded!! I would totally do this marathon and probably do really well as I just retired from U.S ARMY think 20yrs of running lol I can run forever! If anyone could answer this do people ruck for the marathon ?

Hello all! First time rundisney participant here. My best friend and I are doing the 5k and we are making a girls trip out of it! So, my mom and my best friend's little girl want to see us cross the finish line if possible. I know there's a family meet up spot, where is that and is it somewhere where they can see us cross? Or could they see us run by the Epcot international gateway? We are staying at the Boardwalk Inn, so it would be very easy for them to walk to the gateway and see us go by.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I messed up I booked on the marathon weekend I’m sure it will be crazy crowded!! I would totally do this marathon and probably do really well as I just retired from U.S ARMY think 20yrs of running lol I can run forever! If anyone could answer this do people ruck for the marathon ?

Marathon Weekend doesn’t really affect crowd levels in the park significantly on its own. If the weekend falls while schools are still largely on winter breaks, it can be crowded because of that, though. This year is on the late-ish side and it looks like the size of the races was limited, so I don’t expect it to be too crowded.

Yes, I have seen people with ruck sacks for the WDW marathon, maybe not as many as other marathons. Touringplans.com, who track crowd sizes, generally says that the races don't increase park crowd sizes significantly. Congrats on your retirement.

Last edited:
Hello all! First time rundisey participant here. My best friend and I are doing the 5k and we are making a girls trip out of it! So, my mom and my best friend's little girl want to see us cross the finish line if possible. I know there's a family meet up spot, where is that and is it somewhere where they can see us cross? Or could they see us run by the Epcot international gateway? We are staying at the Boardwalk Inn, so it would be very easy for them to walk to the gateway and see us go by.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Officially, we don't know what the 5k course looks like exactly. But it's a good bet that it'll have the same finish line as the Wine and Dine HM (no guarantee though).

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 1.19.23 PM.png

We should know officially when the event guide comes out in a few weeks. But as you can see in the image, there will be finish line viewing available for anyone who wants it.

Here's a video I found with someone viewing the finish line in the non-chear squad spots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter