Marathon Weekend 2020

Yes! I completed my hiatus and will be there next year.

From McFlurry to John ---OUTSTANDING or more like out-running once again !!! party:

I just got off phone to Disney and reservations made for MW at FW. Did only 30 miles of walking training since last year's Marathon, that included the Celebration Half, since every time I walked my knees would HURT. First half yesterday went by easily, M&M McFlurry stop took longer than anticipated, had a customer come up to me saying he was a course official and asked if I got the OK to detour then offered to pay for me, got a BIG hug from State Trooper Diane who is positioned down at the light. She's been there since the first New Course Route and was waiting for me. Things went well after returning but at mile 25 right knee went and followed by left shortly after. Could have crawled over finish line faster than I walked.

Will be 70yo next year and really want to get my third Ironman Florida done so with that in mind, having the Marathon being number 10 and staying Perfectly McFlurry, I'm thinking I might spend more time walking, swimming and less time bicycling.

From McFlurry to John ---OUTSTANDING or more like out-running once again !!! party:

I just got off phone to Disney and reservations made for MW at FW. Did only 30 miles of walking training since last year's Marathon, that included the Celebration Half, since every time I walked my knees would HURT. First half yesterday went by easily, M&M McFlurry stop took longer than anticipated, had a customer come up to me saying he was a course official and asked if I got the OK to detour then offered to pay for me, got a BIG hug from State Trooper Diane who is positioned down at the light. She's been there since the first New Course Route and was waiting for me. Things went well after returning but at mile 25 right knee went and followed by left shortly after. Could have crawled over finish line faster than I walked.

Will be 70yo next year and really want to get my third Ironman Florida done so with that in mind, having the Marathon being number 10 and staying Perfectly McFlurry, I'm thinking I might spend more time walking, swimming and less time bicycling.

Have to be honest, John. Every time I read about your traditional McFlurry stop, I sort of want to hurl. I don't know how you do it. Cool story though with the official and state trooper and simply awesome job with #10 - congrats - and good luck with Ironman Florida. You are the man!

I might see you in PCB this year. I'm trying to decide between IMFL and IM Western Australia.

IIRC the Oswald theme/ medal reveal wasn't until after the 5K was sold out via "normal " registration.

Rundisney experts - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, I'm fully aware. I immediately tried to get in even though I was down during New Years and had just gone home!

I’m seriously considering the full in 2020. It would be my first marathon.

My biggest worry is that I’ve got a big, stressful work project this year - and I worry that training on top of that would be a lot. Or, the running could be a welcome reprieve from the work stress?

I’m a Fed, so kind of waiting to see how this shutdown impacts the project. Either way, it doesn’t seem like the marathon will sell out quickly - so I don’t need to decide by April!

Where would you recommend staying for Marathon Weekend? As a total WDW newbie I'm pretty clueless. At DL we usually stay offsite across the street.
It depends. Historically I've preferred a monorail hotel like Contemp or Poly. In 2018 we had a friend stay offsite and he drove to the race start it was surprisingly painless. If you have a car and can drive to the start offsite isn't too bad.

Where would you recommend staying for Marathon Weekend? As a total WDW newbie I'm pretty clueless. At DL we usually stay offsite across the street.
I swear by Pop Century or Art of Animation if you’re on a budget and running is the centerpiece of your trip. Buses to expo are among the shortest ride and most frequent service. Buses to the start line are dedicated (one central stop only, no sharing with another hotel), and buses from the finish are also fast and frequent (though shared). I’ve been very happy with the ability to use both food courts as well.

The only reason I’d stay anywhere else would be to have a kitchen in my room, to take race weekend nutrition into my own hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter