Marathon Weekend 2022

Do I have a real fun update, last month we were at Disney and at about 4am the morning we were supposed to leave I went to an urgent care because I had a pain in my side and a fever….turns out my appendix didn’t want to make the 16 hour drive home. To say the least that slowed training wayyyy down. I was able to start running two weeks after surgery but my longest run so far is 7 miles. I think I’ll be fine to finish but all bets are off as far as times are concerned. On the plus side I’ll get to say I ran a marathon two and a half months after surgery which is something?

I did 21 miles yesterday mostly running and 8.5 miles Saturday mostly walking. I was planning to work up to 23 then 25-26 but I have an upcoming trip in a couple weeks where I won’t be able to train so might have to jump right to 25/26 the following week. I know I can do it, I just know my legs are going to feel it!

SAFD: Ugh. Training was fine... until I brought back the "souvenir" of a really bad cold or the flu from W&D. Negative for COVID, so there's that, at least. But my lungs are a mess and I'm feeling pretty unsure about the 3/9/18 b2b2b I have planned this weekend. I have two more b2b2b2b's after that, so it wouldn't be awful to miss this one... except that I also had to switch to an entirely different shoe this late in the game, and that shoe is yet untested beyond 9 miles, let alone b2b long runs. Just hoping my lungs improve quickly this week, but if I have to, I can just run less and walk more to help them out.

Overall, this has been my hardest Dopey training yet. I joined the Over 50 Club and I swear, it's like my body deteriorated overnight! I feel pretty sure this might be my last Dopey, and maybe my last marathon, too. So I'd like to end on a high note, if I can.

Training for MW is going well. I'm "just" doing the marathon and only training up to 13 miles per my DopeyBadger plan.

I ran a half last weekend - my first since the Wineglass marathon in early October - and felt great. I had been doing with IT band pain in my left knee since the Wineglass, and it was worrying me. However, it has completely disappeared, and my body is feeling good again. I ran that race just for fun (my running club puts it on), and I followed my plan of easy out and a little bit harder back (it's downhill on the way back, so I still felt like I wasn't working hard!).

The toughest training comes in December with three weeks around 35 miles each in a row. The training is significantly reduced for Disney because I'm just running for fun and to finish with no time goal, and I'm feeling much better on four days/week compared to the five days/week I did for Wineglass.

Doing the Higdon Intermediate 1 plan which had a half race last weekend on the schedule so I did the W&D, pace ended 0:15 faster than half marathon pace which was great. Was still feeling the legs for this weekend runs, 8 mile MP on Sat and 17 mile LR on Sunday. But made it through hitting the splits I needed. So far everything is going well this cycle and having a rD event halfway through was a wonderful perk in the midst of an 18 week marathon plan. Previous plans I found myself struggling with motivation this time of year through the first couple weeks of December.

SFD: Training going really well. Ready to do the Dopey. Got my new running shoes and what a difference that has made. Went from back hurting to running on clouds. Did have a little set back to start the weekend with two fun days of food poisoning. But felt better on Sunday and got back on the streets! The weather has been beautiful in Texas. Cool mornings warming up to mid 70's. Those are the days you don't mind the long runs and want to stay outside. For me now is just the anticipation of the 51 days. So ready to do this!

I had a PB in a half marathon this weekend that would get me in the sub 4:00 group. It's too late to submit it, but do they take recent races into account for a possible corral change at the Expo?

Congrats on the PR!

In my years running rD races, I've know of times/people when they've been lenient and changed the corral and other times when, well, not so much. If there's not much of a line at the booth, it's certainly worth a shot! Just don't be too disappointed if they decline.

Overall, this has been my hardest Dopey training yet. I joined the Over 50 Club and I swear, it's like my body deteriorated overnight! I feel pretty sure this might be my last Dopey, and maybe my last marathon, too. So I'd like to end on a high note, if I can.
Welcome to the club!! I totally agree with you. I am 53 and this year I have had more random aches and pains from running and strength training than I ever have. I don't think I am at the point where I am done but I am definitely feeling it this year.

As for training, I missed a run on my Dopey plan for the first time this Saturday as I was traveling back from being at Disney (Wine and Dine). But I did get my scheduled 16 mile long run in yesterday. I am actually thinking about skipping a few more runs or possibly reducing some of the miles on some of the upcoming runs. I feel like I am already in great shape to do the marathon and all the other races but I worry that some of these random aches and pains are causing more issues than the value I am getting from doing the run.

I had a PB in a half marathon this weekend that would get me in the sub 4:00 group. It's too late to submit it, but do they take recent races into account for a possible corral change at the Expo?

They used to do this but they have been much more strict lately. In 2011 a friend of mine was able to move up at the expo with printed proof of time but I haven't heard of that being allowed at all in the past few years.

SAFD: Training is going fine, but it really feels like I'm much more sore than normal at this point in the training. In talking with my sister yesterday, she mentioned that it could be tied to a mental health challenge I'm coping with right now. Sometimes processing the cause of the issue leads to the body just feeling it. I was glad to find that out because it gives me a good reason for the soreness that isn't tied to some sort of weird, undiagnosed injury. I think this information will at least help psychologically because I can deal with soreness much better mentally than injury.

The good news is that my paces are sufficient for my purposes so the best way to get to where I want to be in 50 days is to keep doing it.

SAFD: Training is going fine, but it really feels like I'm much more sore than normal at this point in the training. In talking with my sister yesterday, she mentioned that it could be tied to a mental health challenge I'm coping with right now. Sometimes processing the cause of the issue leads to the body just feeling it. I was glad to find that out because it gives me a good reason for the soreness that isn't tied to some sort of weird, undiagnosed injury. I think this information will at least help psychologically because I can deal with soreness much better mentally than injury.

The good news is that my paces are sufficient for my purposes so the best way to get to where I want to be in 50 days is to keep doing it.

I’m sore. 9 weeks ago couldn’t run a mile. This weekend was a 6 mile followed by a 12. I’m 49. Granted I’ve ran a few ultras in my youth doesn’t change the fact I’m 30 pounds overweight from drinking craft beer and a 15 year rest from running. My daughter and I are trying to be very careful to not injure with 50 days left to DWM. Hot tub helps a ton and a clean diet besides the beer. Arnold Swartzneiger said beer has good protein. Honestly, for me… I’m like an old car it takes 4 miles to warm up. I’ve pulled ligaments and tendons. If you start to feel a slight burn stop immediately. Rest and very light stretch to assess.

SAFD: Training is going OK - ran a half marathon this past weekend, and just treated it like a training run. I am working on better HR management vs going for a certain pace. Hoping to do an 18 miler this weekend.
I am doing Goofy, and it has been hard to get in the scheduled back-to-back runs due to my work schedule (I work a lot of Saturdays), but it is what it is.
Also - my running buddies all do their long runs on Saturdays, so I have ended up training solo for the most part, which gets lonely on those long runs.

SAFD: I am slogging through training. i knew life was going to get in the way for this training plan so I was not planning anything special for this marathon except to have fun and finish uninjured. Boy has life gotten in the way. I knew before signing up life was going to throw at me no mallory (dog), a remodel that took my kitchen away (adding stress and pounds), and a vacation. What i did not expect was to start training right after a bout with covid, a bum knee while getting therapy and still running it has slowed me down and still not 100%, and a dad that got sick and has been in and out of the hospital causing me to spend a lot more time at my folk's home. Knee is still angry with me but can run. Dad might finally be on the up swing. Kitchen well still seems no where close to being done. I was hoping the remodel would be done by Halloween, then thanksgiving, now i am hoping it is done before we head to disney.

SAFD: I am slogging through training. i knew life was going to get in the way for this training plan so I was not planning anything special for this marathon except to have fun and finish uninjured. Boy has life gotten in the way. I knew before signing up life was going to throw at me no mallory (dog), a remodel that took my kitchen away (adding stress and pounds), and a vacation. What i did not expect was to start training right after a bout with covid, a bum knee while getting therapy and still running it has slowed me down and still not 100%, and a dad that got sick and has been in and out of the hospital causing me to spend a lot more time at my folk's home. Knee is still angry with me but can run. Dad might finally be on the up swing. Kitchen well still seems no where close to being done. I was hoping the remodel would be done by Halloween, then thanksgiving, now i am hoping it is done before we head to disney.

Hope things continue to improve for your dad!

SAFD: Ugh. Training was fine... until I brought back the "souvenir" of a really bad cold or the flu from W&D. Negative for COVID, so there's that, at least. But my lungs are a mess and I'm feeling pretty unsure about the 3/9/18 b2b2b I have planned this weekend. I have two more b2b2b2b's after that, so it wouldn't be awful to miss this one... except that I also had to switch to an entirely different shoe this late in the game, and that shoe is yet untested beyond 9 miles, let alone b2b long runs. Just hoping my lungs improve quickly this week, but if I have to, I can just run less and walk more to help them out.

Membership in the Over 50 club is so annoying. But it beats the alternative.....
That said, as encouragement, I'm 55 and this will be my first Dopey and my second marathon.
Do the walk/runs and finish the race. You'll still be ahead of many, and waaaaaay ahead of all those who never run the races.

SAFD: Training has been going very well, though a vacation last weekend led to me missing runs for the first time this cycle. (To be fair, my off days included massive amounts of walking.)

I've gotta get back on track now, as I'll be traveling the next two weeks as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter