Marathon Weekend 2022

Tried to find the group this morning but maybe arrived too late. Good luck to everyone running the half. I’m in S4 so unfortunately won’t likely see Jack Sparrow!

You don’t suck. Your training might not be great, and your motivation could be lacking, but you, specifically, do not suck.

Attempt at self-deprecating humor aside, I am aware of this. I am definitely in a good mental space right now. I’m mad about what I’ve (not) done the last few years but more excited than I have been in a long time about where my running is going.

I made it to Orlando yesterday around noon! I got to the expo around 1:30 and purchased the “I did it” marathon shirt and magnet. As others have said…it was completely picked through and I am so disappointed. I really wanted the Christmas ornament.
I am in S5 tomorrow (estimated 5:01-5:30).
Heading out to rope drop Hollywood Studios this morning. Have a great day!!

@Barca33Runner It’s hard to take a step back and pull the plug, even when you know it‘s probably the right decision. I hope you can get back to running the way you want to and this friendly group of people will be here to cheer you on! Have fun with the rest of your trip.

I showed my husband the pics of jack sparrow and told him what you guys mentioned about him running in character. He was super impressed, as am I, with his commitment. Not only the costume but the way he is running would be so tiring! Arms up like that for miles. I can’t wait to hear if he sticks with the character through the HM and full.

Great run this morning. Beat my 2020 time. Not by much, but did it. Just saw Captain Jack and his family. Lots of people coming up for pics with him. Super cool dude it seems like. Props to that guy for running in that gear.

He's really fast with the costume too. He was in character running down main street doing a 7 minute mile. Lost track of him going into Tomorrowland, but when I passed him again at the 9 mile overpass he must have still been doing at least an 8:50 minute mile. By that point he had a more normal runner gait, less in character.

I talked to him before the race and his plan is to wear the costume for the Full too. Lots of props to him, he's amazing. 👏

The three fun-runs are done and tomorrow it gets real.
As the saying goes, the only easy day was yesterday.
Hope everyone had a good half and see you in the morning.
And, FWIW, I did stand around the dragon long enough to get a picture with the flames coming up. Way cool.
Forgot to mention: one of the coolest things today was the Chariots of Fire theme playing as we entered the MK. Between that and the pre-dawn darkness with everything lit up, it was truly magical.

Congrats to everybody running this weekend!!! I've enjoyed reading the posts and hearing about the ups :) ...and sympathizing with the downs. :(

How have the crowds been? Pre-pandemic, this would have been a pretty crowded week since it was the first week of the year and aligned with some school systems still being on break. Is that the case or has the pandemic affected the crowds?

Congratulations runners!! You all are getting me pumped during my last six weeks of training before my Princess half. How were the character offerings for the half?

Congrats to everybody running this weekend!!! I've enjoyed reading the posts and hearing about the ups :) ...and sympathizing with the downs. :(

How have the crowds been? Pre-pandemic, this would have been a pretty crowded week since it was the first week of the year and aligned with some school systems still being on break. Is that the case or has the pandemic affected the crowds?
It's crowded this week. Mornings are ok. But get pretty busy in the afternoon. I popped into Disney springs last night and I regretted it. Wall to wall people.

How were the character offerings for the half?

Characters in the half:
1. Mary Poppins and Bert (no photopass)
2. Penguin from Mary Poppins (to and from MK)
3. Tinkerbell and Periwinkle (to and from MK
4. Judy Hopps
5. Nick Wilde
6. Buzz
7. White Rabbit
8. Sébastien
9. Colonial Mickey (brown outfit)
- a country bear waving from balcony
10. Jafar
11. Horace
12. Clarabelle
13. Lilo
14. Stitch
15. Thumper or Bunny (not sure which)
16. Bolt
17. Wilbur from Meet the Robinsons

I may have forgotten a few.

We did a 45 min/mile in the Magic Kingdom taking in the magic. And then at mile 9-ish were told balloon ladies were just 4 minutes behind. So I panicked, found new power in my legs, and picked up the pace for the last 3 miles.

Tomorrow is going to hurt so bad. I'm trying my best to not dread it and remind myself that I'm doing this for fun and should enjoy it. The finish will be magical!

20220108_070122.jpg

Garmin/Phone Notifications:
I'm planning on turning off my email alerts for the Marathon. How will RunDisney alert runners if there is a need to cut the course? If it's by email I might leave that on so I can know.
Praying they don't have to. If the weather for Sunday is like Saturday, I think we'll be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter