Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: Three weeks before the Chicago Marathon (2019), I tripped on uneven pavement during a training run and ended up spraining my ankle really badly. It was swollen and bruised and it hurt to walk on it. I wasn't able to do any running leading up to the race and I knew my ankle wasn't 100% but I was determined to go anyway. I completed it but I knew I could have done better, which is why I'm going back this year for a "do-over" race.
I also did Chicago in 2019 - LOVED it. I try to limit myself to one marathon a year due to the time training takes away from family ... but if I ever repeat a marathon, it'll be Chicago.

I also did Chicago in 2019 - LOVED it. I try to limit myself to one marathon a year due to the time training takes away from family ... but if I ever repeat a marathon, it'll be Chicago.
I moved to downtown Chicago a couple years back and just did the Springtime Half on the lake front. Between that gorgeous run, and seeing the marathon course go right pass my apartment, the Chicago Marathon has become a bucket list for me - Hoping 2024!

Spirit looks like they've released flights through mid-January.

Right now, it is showing as $800 roundtrip to fly from Pittsburgh to Orlando.

o_Oo_O:rotfl2::rotfl2:
I cannot believe flight prices right now! I want to know who is paying these astronomical prices!?! I ended up booking my outbound flight for MW and I'm waiting for my husband to figure out his itinerary to book my return. But my one way (Delta) from WI was $508! I figured if flights do drop in price between now and then I can just rebook. Thankfully airlines now let you cancel and give you credit. But if I didn't book and the rates went up I'd be kicking myself! We used to be able to fly our family of four to Orlando for $800 on SW but not anymore. I'm wondering how long these prices can stay so high? It'll be interesting to see what happens after summer.

I agree! This trip is myself, my mom, and my two kids. If flights are over $1k for the four of yes, I'm going to seriously think about driving, even with the current gas prices. With a car rental, it's pushing $1500 for just transportation costs. On the other hand, if I drove (I have a hybrid), I would be paying about $300 for gas (still more than it should be!). But 16 hours in a car with kids...

I cannot believe flight prices right now! I want to know who is paying these astronomical prices!?! I ended up booking my outbound flight for MW and I'm waiting for my husband to figure out his itinerary to book my return. But my one way (Delta) from WI was $508! I figured if flights do drop in price between now and then I can just rebook. Thankfully airlines now let you cancel and give you credit. But if I didn't book and the rates went up I'd be kicking myself! We used to be able to fly our family of four to Orlando for $800 on SW but not anymore. I'm wondering how long these prices can stay so high? It'll be interesting to see what happens after summer.

I'm a frequent flyer and a million miler, so I feel like I have some insight on this. Right now you're seeing a collision of record high demand (post-Covid "revenge travel") + a shortage of staff + high fuel costs.

January is typically not a high demand travel time, so in a normal world, you could expect prices to go down after the summer surge is over. Typically schedules are set about 3 months out and that's about the time you'll see pricing stabilize and possibly go down if some routes aren't seeing seats fill. Also "normally" by 21 days out the prices won't go anywhere but up.

But there are several other factors at play. The holidays fall in that period and the race travel dates overlap with the holiday return period. We have no idea what's going to happen with fuel costs and inflation, or with staffing levels. These are far from normal times.

ALL that said, I would expect prices to dip somewhat in the late summer or early fall and schedules will solidify in early October. That could be the sweet spot to find a deal if there's going to be one.

Last edited:
I'm a frequent flyer and a million miler, so I feel like I have some insight on this. Right now you're seeing a collision of record high demand (post-Covid "revenge travel") + a shortage of staff + high fuel costs.

January is typically not a high demand travel time, so in a normal world, you could expect prices to go down after the summer surge is over. Typically schedules are set about 3 months out and that's about the time you'll see pricing stabilize and possibly go down if some routes aren't seeing seats fill. Also "normally" by 21 days out the prices won't go anywhere but up.

But there are several other factors at play. The holidays fall in that period and the race travel dates overlap with the holiday return period. We have no idea what's going to happen with fuel costs and inflation, or with staffing levels. These are far from normal times.

ALL that said, I would expect prices to dip somewhat in the late summer or early fall and schedules will solidify in early October. That could be the sweet spot to find a deal if there's going to be one.

I'm also wondering if Southwest's fare release next week through the end of the calendar year will change prices, even for other airlines?

I want to get my flights booked, but I kind of expect them to start high and come down as time goes on. That's okay for me since I'm booking with Southwest points and can be patient. I know that if I wanted to book a trip from Buffalo to Orlando through the end of June I could fly one way for $60-79, which is just crazy IMHO.

I was able to book my departure flight for Wine and Dine at a reasonable rate right off the bat and the prices have kept rising so I might be completely wrong on this.

I'm also wondering if Southwest's fare release next week through the end of the calendar year will change prices, even for other airlines?

It used to be that SW would make a big dent in travel prices to MCO because there's so much competition in that market, but they haven't been undercutting the other carriers as much lately. If they come in super low, yes, I would expect some other airlines to adjust in response, but SW is facing the same issues everyone else is right now. Not sure I'd expect that.

@The Expert Lots of good insight! I'm just selfishly frustrated because we're trying to get a trip in at the end of summer before my oldest starts Kinder and he's in full time school. But these prices are making it impossible. Also probably doesn't help that Delta is my airline of choice when flying from my home airport. And they are ALWAYS more expensive than the competitors, even more-so right now. I don't get it either because when I check the seat availability the planes are less than half full.

I agree! This trip is myself, my mom, and my two kids. If flights are over $1k for the four of yes, I'm going to seriously think about driving, even with the current gas prices. With a car rental, it's pushing $1500 for just transportation costs. On the other hand, if I drove (I have a hybrid), I would be paying about $300 for gas (still more than it should be!). But 16 hours in a car with kids...
Where are you flying/driving from? If prices don't drop it'll cost me a little over $700-$950 depending on itinerary!! It's absolutely bananas. We've thought about driving in the past but it's 20 hours for us. No thank you! hahaha.

With the opening of resort dates for 2023, finalized our hotel plans this morning! Staying at All Star Movies for one night, Tuesday, and then moving over to AKL on Wednesday through Monday. Now to start trying to figure out how we are going to get there. Like everyone has mentioned, the airline prices right now hurt.

I checked airline prices, because everyone was talking about them. For me, they seem to be about normal right now, but I also don’t usually have a direct option (so maybe I’m used to a higher price) - and maybe my dates are better (leaving on Tues)?? I’m still waiting for SW before I book.

SAFD: 2018 April, May and August

I must have been at a time in my running « career » when I was going faster but not agile. I learnt different things from each fall:
- April: Pay attention to what shoes you are wearing. If not running shoes then don’t try going as fast as if you had them. Got a good dent on my left knee.
- May: Do not get distracted by your phone screen (that is what I use for tracking my runs) while racing. Fell like a pancake on my belly during a 10k, did not hurt at all, but I lost my rhythm for the rest of the race.
- August: Last evening in Waikiki, it tripted on uneven sidewalk. Another good dent in the knee, next to the April’s one. The kids did not know we were going to Aulani so, in the middle of the night, while they slept, I searched the internet for a solution that would allow me to swim and use the pool slides! I discovered Tegaderm. We picked some up on our way the next morning and the day was saved!

Good Morning runDisney All-stars! It is time for this week’s SAFD. I had a different question in mind but then during my run yesterday I was ”inspired” with a new quesition…

Have you ever fallen/tripped while on a run - tell us the story!

I’m a little late this week.
SAFD: Twice. Once on trail and once in my neighborhood. The trail fall was due to a toe catching on a low cut tree stump that was covered up by fallen leaves. The park had recently rerouted a portion of the trail so there were several 3-4 inch diameter stumps dotting the trail. I noticed them pretty early on, so I was really watching where I was stepping, but I just couldn’t see that one. That part of the trail was flat so I was moving pretty fast and went fully airborne. Rock climbing fall instincts kicked in and I only ended up with some bruising on 1 knee that hit another stump and minimal scraping.
The fall in my neighborhood was a misjudged foot plant right onto a sweet gum ball, which rolled my ankle and my body followed. Luckily, I mostly landed in the grass and just got a little scraped up.

Good Morning runDisney All-stars! It is time for this week’s SAFD. I had a different question in mind but then during my run yesterday I was ”inspired” with a new quesition…

Ever heat the saying “trail runner, it is not if you will trip but when you will triip”. Well I lived it again yesterday. I was running 9 miles on a trail not too far from my house. On mile 8 I was cruising, enjoying the scenery, listening to a blog and just kind of zenning out. I did not see the knob, it was just one second I was crossing a wooden bridge and the next I had no leg to put forward and was headed down hard and fast. I ended up off the edge of the trail in swampy water/bushes. I had tripped right at the end of a bridge; one second cruising next second wet but sitting in a fairly gross puddle. Lost my hat, sunglasses, AirPod and phone. Luckily only the hat went in the water. And my phone was fine - thank goodness. However I hit the ground on my left knee, hip and shoulder And yet somehow ended up on my but? All hurt today! Morale of the story, zenning out is great but don’t forget to always be scanning the trail!
Dance with Dirt 50k about mile 31

Ever heat the saying “trail runner, it is not if you will trip but when you will triip”. Well I lived it again yesterday. I was running 9 miles on a trail not too far from my house. On mile 8 I was cruising, enjoying the scenery, listening to a blog and just kind of zenning out. I did not see the knob, it was just one second I was crossing a wooden bridge and the next I had no leg to put forward and was headed down hard and fast. I ended up off the edge of the trail in swampy water/bushes. I had tripped right at the end of a bridge; one second cruising next second wet but sitting in a fairly gross puddle. Lost my hat, sunglasses, AirPod and phone. Luckily only the hat went in the water. And my phone was fine - thank goodness. However I hit the ground on my left knee, hip and shoulder And yet somehow ended up on my but? All hurt today! Morale of the story, zenning out is great but don’t forget to always be scanning the trail!
Dances with Dirt 50K many years ago at mile 31 cruising along I stub on a root underneath some leaves. Two hands forward to catch my instant face forward fall. At that stage of the race it felt like my arms shot out of my shoulder blades. Slowly peeled myself off the dirt, struggled to the finish, with a few fellow runners asking OMG what happened? Suffered for about two weeks. Big toe was throbbing. Thought I broke it. Then, gave it a big tug to a massive pop and all was good. In the end Pride and PR took a hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter