Marathon Weekend 2023

I had a dream last night that I overslept and missed the race. It’s too early for this!!
I had a dream a few nights ago that at around mile 18 of the marathon I just stopped and went back to my room to get SIL to come finish the race with me. But then I was stuck in one of the theater shows (like muppets or philharmagic, but neither of those) because I couldn't get past the crowds to get back out. So then I decided I would just take the bus to MK and hop back on the course there. And my non-dreaming part of my brain was like "WHAAAAAT?! But MK is at the 10mi mark in the full, who knows if the sweepers have already come through! NO! What are you thinking?" but the dreaming part of my brain was like, "Nah. We're good. We just have to catch up with TheExpert. This won't be a problem."

Yes. Crazy race dreams 6 months in advance. Super fun.

A training question: How do you manage following a training plan and not getting mentally burned out/losing motivation?
I'm signed up to run the marathon (will be my third) but I've never managed to follow my training plan as religiously as I should have for fulls. I've done lots of halfs and have never had an issue fully training b/c the time and distances are more manageable. I'm signed up to run a half on October 2nd to pace a friend and am starting that training plan in a couple of weeks, and I've already mapped out a training plan for the full (generally following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 with a few adjustments so it starts after that half). Any advice on mentally managing being in training mode from now through January?

A training question: How do you manage following a training plan and not getting mentally burned out/losing motivation?
I'm signed up to run the marathon (will be my third) but I've never managed to follow my training plan as religiously as I should have for fulls. I've done lots of halfs and have never had an issue fully training b/c the time and distances are more manageable. I'm signed up to run a half on October 2nd to pace a friend and am starting that training plan in a couple of weeks, and I've already mapped out a training plan for the full (generally following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 with a few adjustments so it starts after that half). Any advice on mentally managing being in training mode from now through January?

Part of marathon training is the mental training, so use this as an opportunity to find strategies that help motivate you when the miles are long and boring. I'm on the course for 6 or 7 hours, so I do a lot of this. Mental games, replaying movies or tv shows in your head, listening to audio books or podcasts that you only allow yourself to listen to on runs, etc. And if you want to, you could hook up with another DIS runner on the course to help pass the time and motivate each other. ( :😉: @Herding_Cats )

But I feel you on the burnout of training. I did that to myself when I first started running, training back to back for basically a year. I found that looking just at the next week's schedule helps. It gets overwhelming if you start looking too far ahead.

My training plan starts on Monday (also Hal Higdon, but I am using his Novice Supreme plan, which is why I'm starting so early). I think part of it is a mindset thing - I'm nervous to start it and am really not looking forward to the super long distances that are coming, but at the same time I'm excited because I know the plan works and it will make me strong and prepared for the race. So I am trying to focus on the "strong and prepared" part and not the "OMG he wants me to run how far??" part. I think this will get especially tough in the winter since the weather will be so unpredictable, but I'm trying not to worry about that now and am focusing on taking it one week at a time.

I'm also adding in some non-running stuff to my training. I'm hoping to keep up with strength training and yoga a few times each week...Higdon doesn't talk about this much but I think there are physical benefits there as well as mental. I think it helps me mentally to switching this up a bit by doing other stuff, and also yoga is super helpful with calming your mind/working on your breath (right @FFigawi ? ;) ).

Also, I am going to accept that I am going to miss a few runs here and there. Ideally I will do every single run as scheduled, but I don't think that's realistic. Life happens - I have a kid in daycare + a husband who teaches high school, so I know I will get sick at some point(s) in the next 6 months. Maybe I'll feel a little extra sore and need to take a rest day. And with Higdon plans, I think he has you run enough that it's okay to do that once in awhile, so I won't beat myself up over it. Having said that, I think I have extra motivation to really prepare as best as possible because of the clusterf*ck that was registration this year - a lot of people that really wanted to participate in this weekend missed out, so I feel lucky to have gotten my spot and I don't want to waste it.

Lastly, and this sort of goes back to my first point, I'm keeping the end goal in mind. The training is the tough part, but the race itself is the victory lap of a good training cycle, and that is such a good feeling. So I'll be reading marathon weekend trip reports, watching YouTube videos (MouseGen specifically) and listening to podcasts to remind myself what I'm training for. And of course I'll also follow along here for encouragement and motivation. :)

Oh and in my case...my brother is also running the race. I can't let my little brother beat me. 😛 Nope nope nope. (He probably will, but still...)

No doubt it is hard to stick to a long training plan. Especially as the runs get longer, weather gets too cold or hot, etc.

My thoughts:
- find a friend or running group who you can run with. That obligation can help keep you lacing up on a day you might not if alone.
- find some shorter distance races that fit into your training plan that you can run as measuring points along the way. And get some bling along the way!
- also be kind to yourself some days we just don’t want to or can’t run. Give yourself grace and get back at it the next day.
- all training plans are different, so pacing and workouts are different. But don’t be afraid to mix it up. Maybe it is a speed day, but you really just want to get out and cruise. I think it is better to get out and do something than nothing because you did not want to do what your plan said for the day.
- get a coach, so many options. And they can really help you on an individual basis.
-Lastly, (at least for me) don’t focus too much on the full plan. It can get overwhelming. Just focus on the next few weeks or heck just the mile you are in. I think the saying is “how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time”

I'm also adding in some non-running stuff to my training. I'm hoping to keep up with strength training and yoga a few times each week...Higdon doesn't talk about this much but I think there are physical benefits there as well as mental. I think it helps me mentally to switching this up a bit by doing other stuff, and also yoga is super helpful with calming your mind/working on your breath (right @FFigawi ? ;) ).
Right! And yes, I still need to do more of it. :)

How do you manage following a training plan and not getting mentally burned out/losing motivation?

I guess I turn around the question to you. You've done past plans before and it sounds like you burned out/lost motivation during those. So why? Is there something about the training that led to those feelings. It sounds as if it was the time/distance commitment. Was it the total in a week that burned you out, number of days per week, a single duration/distance of a run, the types of runs, uninteresting workouts? I think attacking that issue of your past burnout specifically could aid in alleviating the issues you had.

Also ask yourself how your goals align with your training. The more aggressive the goals, the more difficult/time consuming the training is likely to be. But it's possible to complete a marathon at a far slower pace than your fitness would suggest on a more relaxed training plan. So it's a matter of balance between the plan and goals.

Lastly, a consideration is the length of the training plan. For most, but not all, the length of a training plan can lead to stagnation and feelings of burnout. Mostly because the body has a limited time period at which it can continue to build before you need to back off the training. So if you had for example 32 weeks before a race, most people (not all), would struggle to complete a 32 week training plan. Instead a 14 week training plan with a two week break and a 16 week training plan afterwards would likely yield a better response at the end. So potentially find ways to better cut up the training and make sure to take some appropriate time off between training cycles.

Super silly, but works for me... printed training plan and stickers. If I skip a run, no sticker. My trainings have been significantly more consistent when I do this vs when I don't.

Thank you all for the input and ideas! I think in the past my main issues have been finding the time in the week for all the scheduled runs so I’ve already worked some of that out and am building a habit of early morning runs but have been wondering/worried about being “in training” for 6+ months. Definitely some gems in your responses.

...I have extra motivation to really prepare as best as possible because of the clusterf*ck that was registration this year - a lot of people that really wanted to participate in this weekend missed out, so I feel lucky to have gotten my spot and I don't want to waste it.
Right? No matter how long the training miles, at least I'm not still in the registration "thank you for your patience" circle.

-Lastly, (at least for me) don’t focus too much on the full plan. It can get overwhelming. Just focus on the next few weeks or heck just the mile you are in. I think the saying is “how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time”
Great point. Coupled with @DopeyBadger 's advice below, I think this might be the biggest key. We'll see how successful I can be in staying focused in the moment.

I guess I turn around the question to you. You've done past plans before and it sounds like you burned out/lost motivation during those. So why?...

...But it's possible to complete a marathon at a far slower pace than your fitness would suggest on a more relaxed training plan. So it's a matter of balance between the plan and goals.

Lastly, a consideration is the length of the training plan. For most, but not all, the length of a training plan can lead to stagnation and feelings of burnout. ...So potentially find ways to better cut up the training and make sure to take some appropriate time off between training cycles.
The biggest things were about finding time in the week for runs, and then feeling like "didn't I just do this last week(end)?" Ultimately I ended up doing my two previous fulls at a much slower pace than I feel I could have because I was undertrained and slogged through. So I know it can be done, but this time I really want to focus on feeling good about my effort and pace (definitely not a fast runner, and not setting aggressive time goals, but want it to be something I feel proud of).

And the point about breaking up training is exactly why I agreed to pace my friend in October. I'm hoping that makes the summer training for the half feel like one distinct goal, but with the added benefit of building a solid base to launch into marathon training. ~12 weeks of half training, 2 weeks easy, 12 weeks marathon training.

Super silly, but works for me... printed training plan and stickers. If I skip a run, no sticker. My trainings have been significantly more consistent when I do this vs when I don't.
Yes! We use sticker charts with my daughter to encourage certain behavior all the time. I'm definitely not above it for myself. And the prize at the end is a trip to Disney!

I ran Disney in 2017 as my first full and have been trying to get back to do it again for a number of years (but kids, life, the pandemic, ya know) so I'm super excited to be here for 2023. Every once in a while I've popped into the past year's marathon threads so I'm looking forward to being more active (less lurking) this year.

The biggest things were about finding time in the week for runs

And the point about breaking up training is exactly why I agreed to pace my friend in October. I'm hoping that makes the summer training for the half feel like one distinct goal, but with the added benefit of building a solid base to launch into marathon training. ~12 weeks of half training, 2 weeks easy, 12 weeks marathon training.

Makes perfect sense. So based on the Hal Higdon Novice 2, you're looking at:

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.25.28 PM.png

I'll assume you're around a 2:45 half marathon (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I'm just taking a complete stab in the dark).

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.28.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.29.05 PM.png

With a suggested LR pace of 14:18 min/mile, the weekends would be something like 3:20-4:46 hrs (14-20 miles). The Tuesdays/Thursdays would be around 1:15 hrs. The Wednesdays would be 1:05-1:45 hrs. Which of these do you feel like are the hardest to get in time wise? At the peak (Week 15) it would be around 8 hrs of running (1:15+1:05+1:15+4:46), and the week prior would be around 7 hrs (1:15+1:45+1:15+2:50).

Could you do five days per week, but do less time commitment on any one day? For example, could you do 45 min Tues, 75 min Wed, 45 min Thurs, 90 min Sat, and 150 min on Sunday (total of 6.75 hrs) in the peak week? Would that make the plan more committable? Said a different way, how much time would you maximally want to train on each of the days per week and you feel like it wouldn't be an overly aggressive commitment?

and then feeling like "didn't I just do this last week(end)?"

Is that due to monotony of the length of runs, or the type of runs? Like the Higdon Novice 2 is essentially 3 easy days (Tues/Thurs/Sat) and 1 M Tempo pace day. Would switching up the pacing of the weekend long run (like a fast finish), or diversifying the Wednesday workout a bit more be more interesting (like doing a progressions, or alternating intervals between HM/M tempo, or some other type of M Tempo like workout) break up the feelings of like you just did this last week?

Any advice on mentally managing being in training mode from now through January?

The biggest things were about finding time in the week for runs, and then feeling like "didn't I just do this last week(end)?"

I've done two things to set myself up for success which are kind of related:

1. I've already been following my workout days, long days and rest days and building it in to a predictable routine now. I know what nights I have some flexibility to squeeze some extra things in and what ones are completely booked. I'm also getting into a sleep and meal-prep routine that I can sustain when training starts.

2. I've looked at my calendar for the fall and cleared off what I could. I'm already practicing saying no to anything that isn't 100% necessary.

Also, if there's anything that I can do now to make the fall easier, I am doing it. I'm trying to get everything lined up for the trip itself (as much as possible) now. I'm already thinking about Christmas presents (I haven't bought anything yet, but that's more because I haven't come up with any ideas). Last year I waited until the last minute to do things and it didn't end well. I'm not going to do that again.

Makes perfect sense. So based on the Hal Higdon Novice 2, you're looking at:

View attachment 675447

I'll assume you're around a 2:45 half marathon (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I'm just taking a complete stab in the dark).

View attachment 675450

View attachment 675451

With a suggested LR pace of 14:18 min/mile, the weekends would be something like 3:20-4:46 hrs (14-20 miles). The Tuesdays/Thursdays would be around 1:15 hrs. The Wednesdays would be 1:05-1:45 hrs. Which of these do you feel like are the hardest to get in time wise? At the peak (Week 15) it would be around 8 hrs of running (1:15+1:05+1:15+4:46), and the week prior would be around 7 hrs (1:15+1:45+1:15+2:50).

Could you do five days per week, but do less time commitment on any one day? For example, could you do 45 min Tues, 75 min Wed, 45 min Thurs, 90 min Sat, and 150 min on Sunday (total of 6.75 hrs) in the peak week? Would that make the plan more committable? Said a different way, how much time would you maximally want to train on each of the days per week and you feel like it wouldn't be an overly aggressive commitment?

Is that due to monotony of the length of runs, or the type of runs? Like the Higdon Novice 2 is essentially 3 easy days (Tues/Thurs/Sat) and 1 M Tempo pace day. Would switching up the pacing of the weekend long run (like a fast finish), or diversifying the Wednesday workout a bit more be more interesting (like doing a progressions, or alternating intervals between HM/M tempo, or some other type of M Tempo like workout) break up the feelings of like you just did this last week?

So much good info here. I’m around a 2:00 marathon- PR is 1:56 but the majority of my past races have been 2:00-2:10 depending on then-current fitness. I’m thinking my goal for the full will be under 4:30 IF training goes reasonably well.

Thinking about your response, it’s more about getting out the door for the weekday runs (3 kids, work, general chaos of life). Once I’m out, anything under an hour is pretty manageable so I don’t think it’s as much about the monotony of the plan/miles, more about the challenge of the commitment. In my past training I’ve always been able to commit to long runs pretty consistently, but I know missing weekday runs is what’s left me short.

I know the Galloway plans are usually only 2 short weekday runs. I’ve done half cycles with that approach and finished, but those were not my best race experiences. Do you think there is a way to do as little weekday running as he Galloway plans and still feel well-trained?

So much good info here. I’m around a 2:00 marathon- PR is 1:56 but the majority of my past races have been 2:00-2:10 depending on then-current fitness. I’m thinking my goal for the full will be under 4:30 IF training goes reasonably well.

That makes a significant difference to the math.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 1.15.49 PM.png

Could you beat either a 26:05 5k or 54:23 10k at your current fitness level?

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 1.15.56 PM.png

These are the suggested training paces based on my calculator. So circling back on the Higdon Novice 2 plan calculations, you're looking at:

With a suggested LR pace of 10:24 min/mile, the weekends would be something like 2:30-3:30 hrs (14-20 miles). The Tuesdays/Thursdays would be around 54 min. The Wednesdays would be 45-75 min. At the peak (Week 15) it would be around 6:15 hrs of running (55+45+55+3:30), and the week prior would be around 5:15 hrs (55+1:15+55+2:05).

I think a goal of a sub-4:30 is reasonable under similar conditions to your ability to run a 2:00 HM. But the Disney M can be notoriously all over the place in terms of weather. Some years it can be near 30-40s F and other years 70-80F. So that'll play a role for sure. According to Williams and Vickers real world race equivalency conversion data, a runner capable of a 2:00 HM has:

6% of runners will run a M in 4:10 or less
10% of runners will run a M in 4:12 or less
25% of runners will run a M in 4:17 or less
50% of runners will run a M in 4:27 or less
75% of runners will run a M in 4:35 or less

Based on the time you're running for in peak training (6.25 hrs), and the LR encompassing about 56% of the total weekly duration, I think something in the 4:27-4:35 range (50-75% of runners who can do a 2:00 HM). I think that if you could do some running on Saturday and Sunday (so five days per week, but even if that was only on peak weeks and you did four days per week on non-peak weeks) you could move into the 4:17-4:27 range. Something like 90 min on Saturday + 150 min on Sunday, which totals 4 hrs on the weekend instead of a single peak of 3:30hrs in a single run, making the peak 6:45 hrs for the week and LR encompasses 37% of weekly duration. According to Vickers and Williams data set would likely yield a better conversion.

For completeness since you gave a range of fitness, a person capable of a 2:10 HM would look like:

6% of runners will run a M in 4:31 or less
10% of runners will run a M in 4:33 or less
25% of runners will run a M in 4:39 or less
50% of runners will run a M in 4:48 or less
75% of runners will run a M in 4:56 or less

So there's a relatively large difference in predicted M times when comparing a 2:00 HM runner vs a 2:10 HM runner. If you're closer to a 2:10 HM fitness level, then a 4:30 is almost impossible. If you're a 2:00 HM runner, then about 65% of runners are capable of a sub-4:30 at that fitness level. So still not a guarantee, but more likely.

This is my previous post I'm referencing about Williams and Vickers data set if you want to read more (link).

Thinking about your response, it’s more about getting out the door for the weekday runs (3 kids, work, general chaos of life). Once I’m out, anything under an hour is pretty manageable so I don’t think it’s as much about the monotony of the plan/miles, more about the challenge of the commitment. In my past training I’ve always been able to commit to long runs pretty consistently, but I know missing weekday runs is what’s left me short.

That makes sense. It's hard to carve out that time when we've got so many other commitments in life. Based on your fitness level, it looks like even at your peak you'll still be under 60 min on a consistent basis. You're totally correct that it's the totality of the plan that matters more than any single run. So we tend to get hung up on the long run and can be more dismissive of those weekday runs as of lesser importance. They all play a pivotal role in the big picture of building fitness. Try to find ways to make it something you just normally do as part of your normal routine. Try and find ways to make running not something you have to do, but that you get to do. A privilege more than an obligation. But trust me, it's easier said than done sometimes.

I know the Galloway plans are usually only 2 short weekday runs. I’ve done half cycles with that approach and finished, but those were not my best race experiences. Do you think there is a way to do as little weekday running as he Galloway plans and still feel well-trained?

I think being properly prepared for running well relative to your fitness level during a marathon on three days per week with two weekday runs in the 30 min range is going to be almost impossible. I think it goes back to a definition of running "well". Because someone could do Galloway and do the race much slower than they're capable of on a different plan, but run it "well" because they take the race nice and easy. So their conversion wouldn't be great, but they could feel alright doing the actual race with proper conservative pacing. But if you define "well" as achieving a certain time relative to your current fitness level, then I think most would struggle to convert well on Galloway's plan versus a different plan. I think Galloway's 3-day a week marathon plan is best for a completion mindset, and less useful when you're striving for a certain performance level relative to your own fitness level.

That explanation is specific to the Galloway 3-day a week marathon plan, and not specific to run/walk in any way. Runners can be a good converter using run/walk, but it almost always takes more than 3-days per week and there tends to be more balance in the plan (lesser LR and more days per week).

From my own personal data,

-I did three days per week training (including Galloway and FIRST) from 2012-2015 and ran marathons in 4:50, 4:35, 4:20, 4:27, and 4:58.
-I did six days per week training (including Hansons and Daniels) from 2015-2018 and ran marathons in 3:38, 3:55, 3:28, 3:23, 3:20, 3:14, and 3:15.
-I did four days per week running + four days per week cycling + 3 days per week dumbbell workouts from 2018-2021 and ran marathons in 3:41, 3:35 and 3:29 (and I was doing as much as 20 hrs of total training per week).
-I returned to six days of running per week in 2021 and ran a 3:15.

I could run a HM really well with run+cycle+strength (PR of 1:28), but I could never get my marathon performances on the reduced running volume to be as good. My conversion off the 1:28 HM to the 3:41 M, 3:35 M, and 3:29 M respectively were essentially 100% (meaning almost everyone capable of 1:28 was capable of better than a 3:41 M), 98%, and 91%. So relatively speaking those marathon times were pretty poor compared to my HM time. Even my 3:15 last November is still a 45% of runners could do it when being able to do a 1:28 HM. The marathon is still the one distance I haven't personally cracked which is what keeps me coming back to it. That's not to be dismissive of the tremendous progress I've made since I started nearly 10 years ago. The purpose of the above personal data was to show my own experience when comparing times I was doing less days per week to more days per week (sometimes including a massive amount of cross training as well).

From my own personal data,

-I did three days per week training (including Galloway and FIRST) from 2012-2015 and ran marathons in 4:50, 4:35, 4:20, 4:27, and 4:58.
-I did six days per week training (including Hansons and Daniels) from 2015-2018 and ran marathons in 3:38, 3:55, 3:28, 3:23, 3:20, 3:14, and 3:15.
-I did four days per week running + four days per week cycling + 3 days per week dumbbell workouts from 2018-2021 and ran marathons in 3:41, 3:35 and 3:29 (and I was doing as much as 20 hrs of total training per week).
-I returned to six days of running per week in 2021 and ran a 3:15.
Interesting to hear your experience with different training balances! I like doing other kinds of workouts, especially strength training, in addition to running, which is what drew me to the Higdon novice plans as well for my upcoming HM. But I wonder if I might be better off switching to something with more running when I start training for the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter