• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mary poppins costume

Hi do you have any pictures i had seen one but a crazy pricefrom alady on ebay $ 350 way to much for what it is.:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Ijust saw your photo of your darling daughter in the Mary dress she looks so cute it looks beautiful:cool1: :cool1:

i decided to make it myself. I got a lace dress on ebay and a white lace parasol. I plan to sew on the sash and red ribbons and figure out something for the hat. I'll post pictures when I finish it.

A

i decided to make it myself. I got a lace dress on ebay and a white lace parasol. I plan to sew on the sash and red ribbons and figure out something for the hat. I'll post pictures when I finish it.

A

Good for you, georgiasmom!

Check out the DIS-boutiquers thread--they're up to Part 7! I'm waaay behind on my reading! They make custom clothing for their children--many of them WDW themed. You wouldn't want to copy anything precisely, but you might get some good ideas--to go with those you already have! :)

Hi,
I am also looking to find or put together a dress for a little Mary Poppins. I'm pretty crafty and creative, but I don't really sew. I can't afford hundreds of dollars for a halloween costume. I'd love to see pictures of what people have done. And I'd love tips on how to do this. And if anyone has one they have used and are finished with (girls size 5, but she can make due with 4 or 6) and are interested in selling for a reasonable price, let me know. Thanks.
Leah

DD was MP last year for Halloween, but not the 'Jolly Holiday' MP. We had a black dress coat over a white turtle neck, simple long skirt (g-ma made it), black boots, white gloves and the kids' MP umbrella (with Paulie) from Disney shopping. A friend knitted a scarf and I made the hat out of her Easter hat--spray painted it black and glued on flowers and cherries. She was REALLY cute and I didn't worry about her being cold! (It is chilly here by Halloween!) Anyway, it is a different way to go--and possibly easier!

Hey, I too have looked high and low for a Mary Poppins "Jolly Holiday" costume without paying $350. I love to sew! I'm not terrific but have made most my kids costumes and almost all my daughters (4 in at thanksgiving)Princess dresses. I found a few patterns from simplicity that i am going to piece together; one for the bodice, one for the sleeves and another for the skirt. I got the fabric extremely inexpensive compared to what it normally goes for, and am so excited to start! My daughter won't settle unless it is the exact as the movie... peach underskirt and all! I'll post some pics when I'm done. SO check out those patterns! You can always add a BLOCH leotard under costume to keep your babies warm. Thats what i do and it's great! They are form fitting and very thick.

My daughters have many gorgeous dresses that their wonderfully talented Aunt has made. Mary Poppins remains an absolute favorite.

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

Too many pictures??

She is currently making my youngest this costume. I will see if she can post what patterns she is using. :goodvibes

If anyone still needs pattern information she said she would post it after she gets her daughter off to College today.

Holy Hannah poohnpigletCA! That is about the best Disney character costume I've ever seen! Your sister should go into business.

If anyone still needs pattern information she said she would post it after she gets her daughter off to College today.

PoohnpigletCA,

It's like you're straight from heaven! My DD5 has been BEGGING for a Jolly Holiday MP dress for months. My sister is a very good seamstress, but I had not been able to find a good pattern, so I was going to pay a bunch of money to order her the dress online as her one big Xmas gift. SHe wants to wear it to WDW and to see MARY POPPINS the musical next year when we go. I would be ecstatic to get the pattern so I can give it to my sister to make! THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Hi were you going to order the dress thats $350 its beautiful but my daughter would wear it once so its to much for me:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Hi were you going to order the dress thats $350 its beautiful but my daughter would wear it once so its to much for me:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

No, but I have seen that one. It's stunning. I was going to order off of missem.com. It's not as much as the one on ebay, but still almost $200.

PoohnpigletCA,

It's like you're straight from heaven! My DD5 has been BEGGING for a Jolly Holiday MP dress for months. My sister is a very good seamstress, but I had not been able to find a good pattern, so I was going to pay a bunch of money to order her the dress online as her one big Xmas gift. SHe wants to wear it to WDW and to see MARY POPPINS the musical next year when we go. I would be ecstatic to get the pattern so I can give it to my sister to make! THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Hey... the pattern that is used for the jolly holiday is simplicity i think 5084? I'll check tonight when i get home; you just shorten the length and you substitute the bows down the bust with a triangle bunched organza. Really simple. I am actually using a poodle skirt pattern for the skirt so she can twirl like Mary in the park! That way you dont have to worry about shortening the skirt from the first patter. you can just attach the bodice to poodle skirt form. get back tonight with the number of pattern. you can get it at joann

I am hoping maybe she can take some pictures as she makes the next Mary Poppins. However I do have some tips for the wearing of the dress.

DSC00632.jpg

The real Mary's sleeves are 3/4 but on my little girl they are full length. There is a reason behind that. I used to put dance leotards on under her costumes at night to keep her warm, but that makes trips to the bathroom a real pain. Now I get plain white long sleeved shirts at Target for $4.

Also a key to this dress is the "poufiness" this can be done 2 ways. You can either use expense satin and chiffon bridal type fabrics. Or you use comfortable cotton and use a slip like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-LONG-FLOWER-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

If this is going to be worn all day comfortable walking shoes are a must. Plain white keds work well or you can do something fancier like these.

http://www.sweetsoles.com/item_533/Lelli-Kelly-Kids-Papavero-II-Dolly-Red-Shoes.htm

My daughter does not find tights to be comfortable. We use knee high socks from the Children's Place. They can also be easily changed if she get them dirty.

http://www.childrensplace.com/webap...1&exp=n&catTree=27151,27690,27308&clearance=0

That's all of the tips I can think of for now.:thumbsup2

ok.... i found it! the pattern i am using is 9497

The green dress. I found an amazing fabric store near disneyland, ca. its a discount fabric store and the embroidered organza i found was $7 a yard! and it was i think 120" wide. More than enough for the dress, but i got two just to be safe. I also got the lace around the wrist and neck $.39 a yard, the peach underskirt $2.99 a yard. it was a budget trip for sure! i can ship some one the fabric if anyone wants it? not for another week or so... hope this helps!
i tried to link it but i have under 10 posts.... maybe in a few more posts i will send pictures of the finished product!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter