• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mary poppins costume

Fairy godmother do you use a pattern for the Belle dress i have never seen one so beautifully made as yours .Have you ever thought of selling them or is it to much work very stunning,.Ihave a lady who makes dresses and she does it professionally her dresses are not aspretty as yours.:banana: :banana:

Her dresses are gorgeous. They are literally a labor of love as her hands are in such pain. Well that and I really don't want to share her. :rolleyes:

mom2rtk, we get most of the fabrics of off the internet. I want to say the brocade was around 6.00 a yard. :thumbsup2

Wow mom2rtk i just looked at your pictures your daughter looks stunning i love the Cinderrella dress the fabric is so pretty.Where do you get all the gloves ? they match so perfectly do you make them?:banana:

The gloves were a challenge. I wanted blue for our latest Cinderella and yellow for Belle. I never did find them in a child size, but I did find adult sizes on Ebay. So I bought those and cut them down.

Thanks for the nice comment on Cinderella. I had been looking for something more like Cinderella at Disney for a long time, then stumbled across that blue jacquard on the clearance tables at JoAnns. I ran around town scooping up as much as I could find. I've done several dresses with it for my daughter and sold a few too. I just used the last of it in the blue Sleeping Beauty gown for my daughter's friend.

I actually have done 2 Cinderella gowns since them, but am sticking with my blue gloves. LOVE them! I did a high sheen Cinderella for our stop at the Pirate & Princess party this summer, and since then have finished up a fur trimmed Cinderella with cloak for our trip in December. I can't WAIT for the photo ops in that one!

poohnpigletCA, thanks for the info. I clearly need to spend more time shopping for fabric online. I did find a great place to buy velveteens since there are so few choices in stores. I ordered up a medium blue and dark pink for the matching Sleeping Beauties I just did. I was very happy with that, so I ought to branch out more.

Do you have a favorite place to buy fabric online?

Oh Mom2rtk I just looked at your pictures, gorgeous! :thumbsup2

My youngest is in Love with Aurora. We finally talked her out of being Aurora again last year by making her the Cinderella in pink gown that the mice and birds make. I LOVE the Briar Rose in the woods dress!!!!!!

My oldest has been wanting yellow gloves for her Belle gown. We could not find any in child's, and she will not wear white gloves with that gown. How hard is it to cut the gloves down?

I can't think of all of the on-line stores but I do know that we have used this one for fabrics...

www.syfabrics.com

Thanks, I'll check them out.

The gloves weren't too bad. I just turned them inside out, and sewed a curved seam about 3/4" down from the original stitching on each finger. Then I restitched the long seam up the arm. It needs to be tight enough to keep them up without being too tight. They don't fit the fingers as closely as a child size pair would, but no one will notice when you have them on. And I think it adds SO much to the costumes, especially Belle!

Thanks, I'll check them out.

The gloves weren't too bad. I just turned them inside out, and sewed a curved seam about 3/4" down from the original stitching on each finger. Then I restitched the long seam up the arm. It needs to be tight enough to keep them up without being too tight. They don't fit the fingers as closely as a child size pair would, but no one will notice when you have them on. And I think it adds SO much to the costumes, especially Belle!

So, I hunted down your ebay store and your pictures on flickr. :worship:

You are SO talented! Your dresses are gorgeous! I think I was in love with every single one of them. :love: My DD is too small yet (she'll be 18 months in 4 days), but we're thinking of going to WDW next year in Oct. and I would love to get a dress for her next year. And the costumes! I wish I could sew so beautifully. They really are works of art.

Hi! Thanks so much for the nice message. I really love creating Disney costumes hope I'll get a chance to dress your little angel soon! You have SO much fun ahead of you. My own daughter is almost 8 so our time with the costume fun is limited. But at least I have an excuse to keep creating pretty things for my store!

As for the daughter going to college, this is her 2nd year. She is in Oklahoma. I had home schooled her throughout her school years, so having her leave home was tough the first time. This summer she (and her boyfriend) studied abroad in Europe with 24 other students. While there, he proposed at the Eiffel Tower. So this time her leaving is different......

Oh my goodness!!! Contgrats to the engagement! In France!!!! What a dream!!!! I was a young bride too and I'm sure my mom can relate with you on seeing your daughter getting married... such bitter sweet. My poor parents married off three girl in 2 1/2 years (my sister and I were in 6 months) But just think, you can be making Mary Poppins and other Disney dresses for future grand-daughters! Oh how fun!
And home-schooling! You are for sure a heroine! What a challenge that must have been at times! My mother home-schooled for some years also, i know it's not easy! Kudos to you!

wow that mary popins costume is amazing!
how do you get an aunt like that????

mom2rtk
i too have had a chance to see your costumes and they are truly amazing! you are so talented! I'm having a hard time trying to make one dress for my daugther which will be worn for Halloween! I hate procrastinating so i'm trying to get an early start! I can't imagine how much time goes into each costume, i would love to be able to make a dress for each character!

Fairygodmother and poohandpigletCa
thank you so much for all your helpful advice! i love sewing and finding new tricks for the finished product. Especially with the slips! thanks girls!

I can't think of all of the on-line stores but I do know that we have used this one for fabrics...

www(dot)syfabrics(dot)com

poohnpigletCA and I decided that this is NOT a good website for fabrics. The quality is not the best. We just compared three of the dresses I've made...the fabrics purchased from HERE

www(dot)distinctivefabric(dot)com

are definitely of better quality.

(I had to put "dot" instead of . because I have too few posts to post links!)

The two more recent dresses (fabric from syfabrics) are literally falling apart at the seams. They were made for a wedding a few weeks ago, and came back to me torn in a few places. I thought maybe the hems had just been stepped on a few times since the dresses were a bit long, thus tearing the seams of the skirt panels.

Well, tonight poohnpigletCA went to wash them and they began falling apart again while soaking. I honestly have NEVER had this happen before!

Many thanks Beachmom! I do work very hard on my dresses and appreciate the nice comments.

And many thanks for the feedback on the online fabric sites. I'll check out the new one someone mentioned. I'm also looking for a new place to buy embroidered organza for Mary Poppins. The one I used was perfect, but was discontinued by JoAnns. I haven't found anything similar since. The scale of the embroidery on that one was just perfect and I don't want to settle for something I don't like.

I'm also looking for more boots like I use for Mary Poppins. We're bringing the costume back in December for more fun, but my daughter outgrew the boots! They are still making those boots, but I haven't found the size Large (2/3). If anyone sees something, I would love to know.

Thanks to all and happy sewing!

Mom2rtk, I found an amazing fabric store with every kind of fabric; bridal, costume, everything but its in Cali. Not sure of your locataion, but they do not have a website. I found embroidered organaza for $6 & $7 a yards! Which is pretty cheap to most other sites. The least expensive I found online wa $13. If I come across one I will post it

OK, so stop taunting me! It's bad enough living in the midwest because we're so far from both Disneys, but now it's the fabric stores!

That's just my way of saying I wish I did live close enough to check it out, but I'm in Missouri, so I don't see that happening any time soon. For now, it's got to be the chain fabric stores or the web.

Finding just the right fabric for my costumes remains to be my single greatest frustration with these projects!

Thanks!

So her we go......

This is the pattern for the white under dress. We make this out of white broadcloth.

DSC02200.jpg

Here are the supplies that are used. The lace for the over dress is a lace curtain panel from Target. All of the supplies for the dress were under $15.00.

DSC02201.jpg

This is the pattern that we (and by we I mean Fairygoodmother) cut out for the sash.

DSC02208.jpg

We then Cut off a strip of the bottom of the lace curtain panel.

DSC02209.jpg

This will work perfectly for the top flounce in the bodice.

DSC01230.jpg

Oh I wanted to show you a cool trick with the crinoline skirt. This is a 65 yard crinoline "poufity".

DSC02202.jpg

And all 65 yards in a ziplock bag.

DSC02207.jpg

The Mary slip you will use will not be 65 yards and must be white. It just makes packing so much easier when you compress the slips. :thumbsup2

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a Mary Poppins costume for me, anyone know where I can find an adult Mary costume? Cheaper is always better.

There really is no pattern. You have to do the same thing we've done with the child's costume...make it up using several other patterns.

Start with a circle skirt. A poodle skirt pattern will work best. Then use the bodice and sleeves of another pattern that "looks" like Mary Pooppins.

Again, two dresses, one sleeveless made of plain white, one out of lace or organza with sleeves and a relatively high neckline. Then just copy pictures that you've seen.

Good luck!:)

Fairygodmother... Help!
I am ready to start sewing but am having a little trouble. Do I make two seperate dresses and sew togehter at the shoulders? Or do I sew the bodice white tank and the organza together before sewing the front and back together at shoulders and underarms? Do you undrstand my question? I have the dress cut and wanted to get started durring nap time but ran into the problem of how to piece it together. If you can give me any advise that would be great! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter