• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mary poppins costume

a little late but does anyone know where i can get little girls white boots around size 81/2 9?

If I were you, I'd look for Converse Chuck Taylor hi-tops in white. They'd be VERY comfortable, and they'd still look a little like boots. We had a very hard time finding boots and finally gave up.
ALso, you might consider looking for Justin Ropers lace-up boots in white. Check western wear stores or websites.
Also, now might be a good time to google search "costume boots".
good luck!

The full dancing slips are worn under the long princess dresses.
Here is the link. http://designs4dancers.com/MalcoModePetticoat-3.aspx

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

This will be far to poufy for the Mary Poppins costume.

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

The slip we use for Mary is very similar to this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-LONG-FLOWER-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

It is a crinoline slip not a hoop slip. Also if you use the broadcloth for the under dress your slip must be white as it will show through.

I love your dress. I've been looking on and off for a Mary Poppins dress, but never can find one. My DH has an aunt that can sew and has mentioned if I find a pattern she may make one. I know absolutely NOTHING about sewing. So where do I find a pattern to make a dress like yours so I can give it to her? I think your dress is gorgeous and would be right up my DD's alley.

I love your dress. I've been looking on and off for a Mary Poppins dress, but never can find one. My DH has an aunt that can sew and has mentioned if I find a pattern she may make one. I know absolutely NOTHING about sewing. So where do I find a pattern to make a dress like yours so I can give it to her? I think your dress is gorgeous and would be right up my DD's alley.

If you go back through the thread, Darla gave some excellent directions for making the dress and told what patterns she used. You could show your dh's aunt the thread or print it out for her and she should be able to do it.

Thanks, I did see that after I posted. LOL!
I asked MIl if she could ask the aunt and she said she would. She is leaving for Georgia in a month, but she said she should have time to do it, if she wants to, so I'll remind MIL again to call her so we can get it started and what she needs to know. I hope she can. Claire would love it.

Thanks, I did see that after I posted. LOL!
I asked MIl if she could ask the aunt and she said she would. She is leaving for Georgia in a month, but she said she should have time to do it, if she wants to, so I'll remind MIL again to call her so we can get it started and what she needs to know. I hope she can. Claire would love it.

I hope she can do it! Honestly of all the costumes Darla has made my girls that is one of my all time favorites.

I was looking at Claire's pictures in your signature. Darla made Sierra that dress last Halloween.

DSC02507.jpg

I hope she can. MIL is supposed to call her today. I reminded her this morning, but haven't heard, so she may have forgotten. I don't want to nag, but the Aunt is going to Georgia in a month, so I kind of want to have it done before she goes, since she is staying a few months there. I don't know her well enough to ask either. I've only seen her e here and there. I do know that she thinks Claire is wonderful, so thats good! ;)

I hope she can do it! Honestly of all the costumes Darla has made my girls that is one of my all time favorites.

I was looking at Claire's pictures in your signature. Darla made Sierra that dress last Halloween.

DSC02507.jpg
Who wears that red and gold dress? I am stumped.

Bad news.....The aunt told MIL that her arthritus is really bad right now, and she has stopped all sewing. So no Mary Poppins dress for us. I guess I can try and find someone to sew it for us, but I have no clue how to go about finding someone and then how much the cost would be? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. LOL!

Well kind of good news now too. I remembered that Claire's dance studio had a class that did a dance with Mary Poppins costumes. I can't remember exactly what they looked like, but I remember thinking they were really cute. I contacted the studio and they said they would order me one. So it won't be as nice as all the homemade ones, but it will be something.

I am in the process of sewing a Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday dress. I couldn't find a pattern I liked and ended up using two different (Out of Print) patterns combined to make the top and skirt. Had the DD try it on last night and she loves it, BUT I got the "Mom, these sleeves are itchy" The shear fabric I got is going to be thorn in my side!!

I am in the process of sewing a Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday dress. I couldn't find a pattern I liked and ended up using two different (Out of Print) patterns combined to make the top and skirt. Had the DD try it on last night and she loves it, BUT I got the "Mom, these sleeves are itchy" The shear fabric I got is going to be thorn in my side!!
You could use cotton or silk organza. Those wouldn't be itchy... or possibly even nylon. Poly is itchy!!

You could use cotton or silk organza. Those wouldn't be itchy... or possibly even nylon. Poly is itchy!!

I may have to go the silk route. Although I think I found a solution, DD is complaining about the seams being the itchy part of the sleeves. So after a bit of thought I am goint to try and put a white fleece binding tape over the seam and press them flat. I hope this will work.....we will see.....

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I just discovered it while looking for Mary Poppins costume ideas.

DD wants to dress like MP for our next trip. I don't sew very well, but I am creative. I found a used wedding dress in her size, that is very similar to MPs dress, for $15.00. I took off the puffies off the sleeves to make them like MPs and shortened the length and sleeves. I took off the appliques, took the sparkles off them, and will now reattatch a few to the dress, just like Mary's. The dress does not have a chiffon overlay. A friend is making the cumberbund/belt. The jabot was reasonably easy enough but the spats are a challenge. I made them from the train of the dress, so they would be the same fabric, but now I'm thinking I should go to a hardware store and get 1/2 yd of white plastic so they look more like leather. We'll see. I bought a second hand hat the right shape, but I had to spray paint it white. If I could find a white umbrella, I'd try painting sections or using a fabric overlay, but at this point I can't get a white one, let alone a cheap white one. Anyway, it's a work in progress, but I'm having fun, and DD is really looking forward to wearing it. She already has a white crinoline so it should look pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter