Medical advice? Has anyone ever heard of.....

FTWFAN

DIS Veteran
Cat Scratch Fever???????:confused:

Savannah(my 4yo DD) has had a place on her neck, about an inch or so under her ear for about 2 weeks now. It looks like a mosquito bite that has become infected. She gets those often! Saturday morning, I noticed a knot above the spot, between it and her ear. She started to run a fever of 100. I called the nurse on call at the ped's office about it. She said it sounded like an infected mosquito bite(DUHHHHH!!!!) and not to worry about it. If it looked worse on Sunday, call her and she would see us. Sunday morning, no change in the knot, but no fever. Monday morning the knot was twice as big and her pierced ear had become infected. Fever returned during the night! I called the pediatrician to make an appt. Savannah's ped was not in, so I saw one of his partners. As soon as she walked into the room, she asked if we had cats or kittens. I told her we had recently gotten two kittens. She asked if Savannah held them and how. I told her yes and like baby dolls in her arms and across her shoulders. She told me that she thought Savannah's problem really was just an infected bite, but would like permission to test her for CAT SCRATCH FEVER. I asked what was that. She told me that cats carry bacteria in their claws and mouths. Sometimes if they scratch a person or scratch or lick an already infected area, that person can contract Cat Scratch Fever. She told me that this was SELDOM serious, but it could sometimes be. So, they drew the blood and are performing the test. We will not know the results until Thursday or Friday though. She went ahead and started Savannah on an antibiotic for the infection, but said if the test comes back positive, she will call us with a stronger antibiotic. I don't know whether to really worry or what! The knot has not really went down any, but the fever is only during the night now. Savannah seems fine during the day, but as children often do, she starts feeling bad about dark. If any of you know anything about this Cat Scratch Fever, please let me know.
Maybe it wouldn't hurt to send a little prayer and pixie dust Savannah's way also. Thanks!!!!!

I hope that your DD feels better soon and that you have nothing to worry about. {{{hugs}}} for your DD and you!:D

Thanks for the information about this FTWFAN. I have never heard of it. My kids are grown but we do have small grandkids. No cats either but the other grandparents do so passing this info along. Hope your little one will be completely well soon!

My friends son got this a looong time ago. He ran a really high fever and it took two trips to the Army's ER to diagnose the problem. I remember he also got scratched in almost the same exact spot as your dd. He was placed on heavy antibiotics for quite a while. He is now 27 and in the Navy... so yup everything was grand once he was diagnosed. I hope your daughter will feel better quickly.

i had it when i was about 8 yrs old and i was so sick it was the flu X10 and above where i was scratched a nodule came up and the doc called it a kernnel or corn and asked what kind of cat i had. its was over in about 4 days if i remember that far back. i could not eat i just felt bad:(

i was fine and living and well today not to serious or atleast when i was a kid:D

Cats have some sort of poison in their bites, that's why if another cat bites them, they will be given antibiotics. Vet told me that if the bite doesn't get air it can cause an infection/absess. Guess it is the same for humans.

Cat abscesses are completely different from cat scratch fever. Don't worry about your DD getting an abscess.

Poison? LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter