• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Michelle Carter Trial (MA) Verdict announced Friday 11 AM

So, what is everyone thinking? What she did was disgusting and despicable, but how is the judge going to see it? This is a hard one to call.

The kid was clearly suicidal, but he was still on the fence about taking his own life. He cried out for help several times and she did nothing but tell him to get back in the truck and get it over with. She told him that no one would care, and that his family would be fine. Who would be fine with loosing a loved one in such a way???? (In any way really.)

Personally I feel as though she bullied him into it and it got to the point where he couldn't think straight. She ignored his cries for help and he was even apologizing to her about still being alive.... augh that just burns me up. Taking one's life is never to be taken lightly and she simply didn't care. Don't even get me started on what she did afterwards.

I want her to be held accountable, but I can't really see the judge sending her to jail. What law is there against this?

Does anyone think that this could be considered a form of assisted suicide?

The kid was clearly suicidal, but he was still on the fence about taking his own life. He cried out for help several times and she did nothing but tell him to get back in the truck and get it over with. She told him that no one would care, and that his family would be fine. Who would be fine with loosing a loved one in such a way???? (In any way really.)

Personally I feel as though she bullied him into it and it got to the point where he couldn't think straight. She ignored his cries for help and he was even apologizing to her about still being alive.... augh that just burns me up. Taking one's life is never to be taken lightly and she simply didn't care. Don't even get me started on what she did afterwards.

I want her to be held accountable, but I can't really see the judge sending her to jail. What law is there against this?

Does anyone think that this could be considered a form of assisted suicide?

I'm not sure if you have read the transcripts of the texts or you are just reading here, but at one point the night before the suicide she texted him, that if he doesn't do it this time she is getting him help.

I think she has her own serious issues, and I think its important to look at his mental history and take into account that he attempted suicide once before he met her. I don't know anything about any treatment he was receiving at that point, but if he wasn't you could argue that anyone who knew that he did that was ignoring his cries for help.
Anyway, I hope the judge is able to impartial and look at the law. I'm still not sure what law she has broken, suicide is not against the law in MA, so how cna her encouragement be illegal. She didn't physically force him, he was suicidal before her, she did not make him that way, and he was alone still decided to take his own life. He could have just not done it. I know its more complex considering his mental state, but he didn't do anything illegal and if his mental state is going to be considered, so should hers as well.

I am not in favor of a guilty verdict, but she clearly needs help so if it is guilt I hope instead of jail time she is sentenced with psychiatric help instead.

I've been catching news snippets here and there, but I've mainly been following along here. I wish that she had just gone ahead and got him help then instead of waiting and telling him that she'll do it after his next attempt. :guilty:

I've been catching news snippets here and there, but I've mainly been following along here. I wish that she had just gone ahead and got him help then instead of waiting and telling him that she'll do it after his next attempt. :guilty:
I don't think she was really planning on getting him help, ever.

I'm not sure if you have read the transcripts of the texts or you are just reading here, but at one point the night before the suicide she texted him, that if he doesn't do it this time she is getting him help.
Um, he called her midway through his final suicide attempt, and she did not try to get him help then. She "helped" him get back into the truck, though!

I wish she did too. Its so sad that these two met up with eachother. The last thing he needed was a girlfriend like her.

I don't think she was really planning on getting him help, ever.

Um, he called her midway through his final suicide attempt, and she did not try to get him help then. She "helped" him get back into the truck, though!

I realize that, I'm just saying that if one looks at all the evidence and not just snippet texts there is more to her. She is clearly disturbed, no doubt about it.

I have no idea if she would have gotten him help, I don't know enough about her, him or how their relationship was before.

I realize that, I'm just saying that if one looks at all the evidence and not just snippet texts there is more to her. She is clearly disturbed, no doubt about it.
But highlighting the text message where she says she's going to get him help is a snippet text...?

Although... putting that in perspective with the rest of the evidence, I think that helps show she's more of a sociopath than initially thought :scared: Before following the trial I didn't really consider attention as a possible motivation, but that sure changed. "I'm going to get you help if you don't do it this time" followed by further encouragement. So, so disturbing :sad2:

But highlighting the text message where she says she's going to get him help is a snippet text...?

Although... putting that in perspective with the rest of the evidence, I think that helps show she's more of a sociopath than initially thought :scared: Before following the trial I didn't really consider attention as a possible motivation, but that sure changed. "I'm going to get you help if you don't do it this time" followed by further encouragement. So, so disturbing :sad2:

I mentioned it because I took that text to mean that they had discussed getting him help before, and it was like a threat that if he didn't go through with it she would get him help (that maybe he didn't want). I have no idea what real conversations they had about him committing suicide but I'm sure they actually spoke about it.
I haven't read everything just the transcript from that night but did see where there was a point in their relationship that she tried to help him (based on Breggin's testimony). Beyond that and what I've read here I don't know much about their relationship and if it was ever her really trying to help him or not.
While I am not in favor of a guilty verdict, its not because I don't think she was wrong in her encouragement. What she did was reprehensible. Is it because she's evil, or sick, I just don't know.

I mentioned it because I took that text to mean that they had discussed getting him help before, and it was like a threat that if he didn't go through with it she would get him help (that maybe he didn't want). I have no idea what real conversations they had about him committing suicide but I'm sure they actually spoke about it.
I haven't read everything just the transcript from that night but did see where there was a point in their relationship that she tried to help him (based on Breggin's testimony). Beyond that and what I've read here I don't know much about their relationship and if it was ever her really trying to help him or not.
While I am not in favor of a guilty verdict, its not because I don't think she was wrong in her encouragement. What she did was reprehensible. Is it because she's evil, or sick, I just don't know.

I gotcha. In any case, I wonder, too, if this is an evil vs. sick vs. something else deal w Carter. They all imply different things, like whether she could be "rehabilitated" (or whatever equivalent is appropriate for this situation). Hard to say, really.

I can not copy or paste the thing, but on the yahoo news page there is a letter from Conrad to Michelle. I couldn't fully make it out.

Telling him she was going to get him help if he didn't succeed this time definitely comes off as a threat. He didn't want to go back into the hospital. She basically gave him two choices...kill himself or go to a hospital.

Here's someone to follow on twitter. Beth Karas appears to get her info from him for this case. It's a MA news source, so whoever he is, he's following it closely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CurtBrown_SCT

Anyone really surprised that The Cosby jury is deadlocked?
I knew there would be die hard fans, who wouldn't want to convict him.
over 60 women have come forward, surely this can't be a coincidence or witch hunt.

over 60 women have come forward, surely this can't be a coincidence or witch hunt.

Unfortunately, most of their testimony wasn't allowed. It will boil down to the prosecution's case and not public knowledge. It all hinges on a decades old he said/she said. We all know how those usually go, especially without forensic evidence.

The fact that it is deadlocked is much more positive than I expected. Though I firmly believe he is guilty, rape cases usually rely on forensic evidence as opposed to witness testimony. I had expected, with his influence and power, the defense to attempt to destroy her credibility (why did she even take any drugs? Can we be sure her memory is right since she took drugs? And much, much worse), and reassert his decades old image as a strict, straight arrow family man.

I'm glad the jury is at least deadlocked, but cynically, I expect him to walk.

Nope, as much as I would love to hear them say "guilty", I had a suspicion that it would come up with a hung jury. I know the judge sent them back, but I don't see that changing their minds. Wonder if the state is going to retry him?

Just glad it's not coming back non guilty. That would have ticked me off more than anything.

Re: Cosby. I haven't watched. It's all about this one woman, correct? Were any other accusations or evidence from anyone else allowed in? I assume not. Makes it a difficult case.

The judge will announce his verdict in the Michelle Carter case tomorrow morning, 11 AM.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter