Mickey's Very Merry Holiday WEIGHT LOSS Party! December 2016

Everyday I get up and say I'm going to do better but I fall apart at lunch. I'm not sure how to pull myself out of this. I've been lurking on here but am kind of ashamed at how things are going so I've been avoiding posting.
Exercise: I get my runs in 6 days a week and try to do Pilates 5 days.

Don't be silly, nothing to be ashamed of at all! I have been struggling myself and I found forgetting about yesterday and thinking about one day, one meal - the current one helps a little.

Are your meals too little to sustain your running leading to over snacking? 6 runs & 5 pilates sessions in a week is very active, you need to be fueled adequately

Are you little overtired? Could and extra day off exercise help a little? Overtired = over hungry but somehow when you eat you don't get less tired so you keep eating. That's how it is with me anyway. I had to learn the importance of being able to rest this year.

When you think you are going to do better, are you fair and realistic with yourself? Do you tell yourself I won't have any (bread, chocolate, wine or whatever) while everyone else celebrate the season and enjoy the treats. Could "better" be little more flexible to allow you enjoy yourself?

Just throwing few suggestions out there, hope it doesn't sound patronizing. It's not like I have it all figured out. But please don't be ashamed. We are well aware there are moments like this, that's why we are part of this group. We understand
:)

read this somewhere

"The most successful people are not the most perfect eaters. In fact, they never eat perfectly, and it's precisely because of that that they are able to be so consistent over the long run.Be a little less perfect to be a little more consistent."

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am having such a hard time getting back into good habits. The cold and darkness are not helping. But ultimately it is me. It is not that I am not eating the healthy meals I have planned, I do. But I also eat half my stored foods as well every night. I have no idea what is going on, but I am having huge hunger attacks every evening. I am blaming a combination of jet lag and time of the month. And I do hope that posting about it here will add some accountability for me so that tonight I can think about what I posted and that I want to post again tomorrow and tell all of you that I was doing better...

I think you all know that I don't live in Berlin, so the horrible attack there is far away from me geographically (this summer's incidents were closer). And my sister, who lives in Berlin, was at home yesterday evening. Still, Christmas markets are such an integral part of Germany's Christmas traditions that one being attacked feels like everyone was attacked. It is not a surprise though. It was quite clear that something like this was bound to happen. The Nuremberg Christmas market (in my home town) is one of the most traditional ones and has had a massive increase in security for a couple of years now. Including quite substantial barriers at every single entrance onto the market square. After having been away for most of December so far, I still have not made it to our local market. And I was thinking of going there tonight. Now I am determined to make it there after work today. I feel that it is necessary to not let those incidents scare you away but instead keep up with normal life!

Good for you! When we let the terrorists control what we do and where we go, they win. I knew you weren't in Berlin, but I wasn't sure how far you were. And please know that you and your country are in my thoughts and prayers. I had the best intentions to come on here and send you a PM to let you know I was thinking of you, but I never got to it.

I have not made it a priority. Mainly because I was battling a nasty cold that seems to linger forever. But I am feeling much improved today and will resume my running schedule tomorrow!

@pjlla I am also ready to start our exercise challenge! Is it ok with you to start now despite the holidays? I am thinking that we should use the 30 Day Shred (but with a custom schedule) and make a commitment to workout to it 3 times a week. So, that would be three weeks of program 1, 2 and 3 each and after 9 weeks we have completed the whole course. I think this gives us an accieveable goal. We can start the week on any day of the week. I would suggest starting this Saturday (December 24). I would most likely use Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday as my regular workout day (because Sunday, Wednesday and Friday are my running days...).

If anyone else is interested in joining in, you are more than welcome!! The 30 Day Shred is available on youtube, so you do not need to buy any DVDs to take part. I also really like the program as it offers modifications for different fitness levels and it also builds up your ability over time. Don't dispair if you are feeling like a failure the first time you run through the DVD, you will learn how to do the exercises and it will become easier. For example, the first time I was doing it, there were certain exercises with weights where I was not able to do them with weights at all. And by the end I was doing those with 5 pounds in each hand. The 30 Day Shred officially is designed to do three different routines for 10 days each and then upgrading to the next, more difficult routine. However, this is a huge commitment and I feel it gives you not enough rest. Therefore my suggestion of doing it three times a week. That should be doable and while it will take longer, there will still be effects from the exercises!

I'd love to do the challenge .... but until after 1/3 I cannot commit to more than twice a week. Between the holidays, the New Years Eve wedding out of town, and traveling, I need to re realistic.... but after that I'd love to figure out how to fit it in 3 times a week! I think that my workout days will need to be flexible based on my work schedule.

I have been in a funk these past couple of weeks that I cannot get out of. Part of it is the stress of this marathon that is approaching at lightening speed!! I'm so worried about finishing in the time allowed and I was hoping for a good corral for a bigger buffer but it didn't happen.
I also have been eating horribly. Everyday I get up and say I'm going to do better but I fall apart at lunch. I'm not sure how to pull myself out of this. I've been lurking on here but am kind of ashamed at how things are going so I've been avoiding posting. Hopefully posting this and bringing some accountability back will help.

Exercise: I get my runs in 6 days a week and try to do Pilates 5 days. My motivation is finishing the marathon and not embarrassing myself so I make the time to get out there. Usually it's after DH gets home so I'm running in the dark which gets pretty scary sometimes. I also miss eating dinner with my family most nights but I am with the kids a lot during the day so I don't think they mind.

I totally understand and I've said the same thing! I've warned my friends here that if they don't see me for days on end, there may be a chance that I'm having some "diet shame" going on. Usually just KNOWING that someone here will be missing me is enough to pull me out of it and get me back on track and back to chatting!

Take care when you are out in the dark! Head lamps, reflective vest.... all of it!

All good - it is crazy this time of year. Sorry to hear you haven't managed to kick those lice out of the house yet! They can be persistent. I think I remember you saying your son had longer hair - a friend shared a trick with me when her daughter was having them constantly - she bought a cheap hair straightener she said that by sectioning the hair and running the hot straightener over it she could hear all the eggs popping and that helped break that phase of new ones hatching. I just wrapped some more of the kids gifts this morning ... a still have just a couple of small things to get from the shops and something for my parents and the next door neighbours. They are a great family and we really haven't had good neighbours before like this - its not like we are always together but their younger boys get on good with my twins - in fact the twins are next door in their pool right now. Last summer it became a bit of a tradition to get the kids water bombs regularly and they go out on the street together and have so much fun. Their 13 daughter is just gorgeous but is feeling a little under the weather at the moment she is fighting cancer and has been home for a few weeks now after an operation and chemo - so I am hoping she will feel up to a little water bomb fun soon.

Thanks for the suggestion of the hair straightener (and yes, DS's hair is mid-shoulder blade length). My DD actually made the same suggestion. I think I may try it today. Unfortunately the lice has also found me.... but I'm grateful that so far DD and DH have been spared. I just cannot get over the massive amounts of laundry. I am changing our sheets and pillow cases and blankets and comforters EVERY DAY! I just cannot risk this getting any worse.... we have my parents coming here for Christmas and then we are traveling to Pennsylvania for the wedding. I need to know it is gone!

Don't be silly, nothing to be ashamed of at all! I have been struggling myself and I found forgetting about yesterday and thinking about one day, one meal - the current one helps a little.

Are your meals to little to sustain your running leading to over snacking 6 runs & 5 pilates sessions in a week is very active, you need to be fueled adequately

Are you little overtired? Could and extra day off exercise help a little? Overtired = over hungry but somehow when you eat you don't get less tired so you keep eating. That's how it is with me anyway. I had to learn the importance of being able to rest this year.

When you think you are going to do better, are you fair and realistic with yourself? Do you tell yourself I won't have any (bread, chocolate, wine or whatever) while everyone else celebrate the season and enjoy the treats. Could "better" be little more flexible to allow you enjoy yourself?

Just throwing few suggestions out there, hope it doesn't sound patronizing. It's not like I have it all figured out. But please don't be ashamed. We are well aware there are moments like this, that's why we are part of this group. We understand
:)

read this somewhere

"The most successful people are not the most perfect eaters. In fact, they never eat perfectly, and it's precisely because of that that they are able to be so consistent over the long run.Be a little less perfect to be a little more consistent."

As usual, you speak so well and reflect my thoughts! That quote is terrific. Wish I had seen it last night so that I could have shared it in my WW meeting. I have a member who is telling me about all of the veggies she plans on eating on Christmas day and that her only splurge is going to be one Lindt truffle. While that may sound terrific, I am concerned that it is TOO strict and that she will end up feeling deprived and hungry and frustrated. While I love to talk about having a plan to help us with our holiday eating, it needs to be a REALISTIC plan and I'm not sure that hers is.

Morning all! Off to post the QOTD and get some coffee!..........P

QOTD for Wednesday, December 21, 2016:

Holiday-Treats.jpg

If you had to pick only ONE, what is your favorite holiday sweet treat? How about your ONE favorite savory treat? How to you plan to work those two treats into your holiday WITHOUT overdoing it?

If you had to pick only ONE, what is your favorite holiday sweet treat? How about your ONE favorite savory treat? How to you plan to work those two treats into your holiday WITHOUT overdoing it?

Our most traditional Christmas desert is a Christmas pudding with cream and I quite enjoy that and have any leftovers for a few days until it is gone - trouble is I suppose is that I like it with a LOT of cream! I just checked the one we have and its about 323 calories per serve - now I'm betting my serve is typically bigger than a standard serve. Given that its really something eaten for a very short time each year - I plan to indulge without worry and I find that after 2-3 serves (over that many days) I am satisfied and no longer want it anyway.

Savoury - I suppose would be Ham - I love the big leg hams that are around at Christmas - they are so tasty - we get a half of one - the butt end - and have that Christmas Day and then share the leftovers with my parents - my kids love it as much as me - so it really doesn't take long before it is all gone.

Thanks for helping me fill some time everyone it is just after 11pm here and I will leave in about 40 minutes to pick up DS16 from his 9-midnight shift - thank goodness last night they changed him to a 6-9pm so that reduced one of our late nights this week at least!

I just found my motivation to kick things really into gear in the new year - I went tonight to try on some clothes and swimmers or bathers or swimming costume whatever you call them lol and well, despite me feeling a little less bloated this week - the mirror and the clothes did not agree! I have a dietician review tomorrow .... I really do feel that I have been making progress this month with less takeaway and having home made meals that are full of good choices - but this obviously still needs attention to get more loss occurring... I know I will need to really hit my activity levels to see improved results.

@Oneanne - loving all the snowy pics you are posting.

I haven't tried Orangetheory but one of the tellers at my bank raved about it one day when I was in there. She highly recommended for runners so I looked into it and it did seem like an awesome concept. I just don't think I could fit it into my schedule right now. Do they offer a free class where you are?

Last year, my SIL went from a 14 to an 8 in like a few months (won the $500 New Years Resolution Challenge at her branch actually!). But she was killing it! Like going 3-4 times a week. I don't have that kind of budget.... but I'm not looking for such drastic results so quick either. At any rate, she raves about it too. That's what has me thinking.

They do offer the free class... I'm just working on nursing my pride and getting over how I may look coming in from my basically sedentary lifestyle. I know it's ridiculous. But it's something that I think about for sure!

I hear ya on the funk and not wanting to come on here. Happy Grape and pjlla nailed it though. Glad you're back chatting with us :)

Savory.... My cousin makes a mushroom brown rice that's delish! Sweet.... Christmas cookies!

I don't overdo the savory. It's the sweets that get me. But I baked cookies for a party last week and had like 4 as they came out and quickly got over them. I've had like 5 I saved for myself that I haven't even touched yet. So I guess my plan was to let myself gorge the one night and then sate that desire for them!

View attachment 211192

Fresh cherries trifle! I will make it myself, portioned in individual glasses, minus the cream on top, with lighter custard. But plan to enjoy one every day for few days!

Savory I have one that is actually healthy and can be done lighter. Wheat crackers, smocked salmon, light Philadelphia cheese

DH have bought amazing Christmas cake that is shocking high on calories. It's not my favorite, but I will still have small portion

Thanks for all the support guys!! It was really motivating to get up this morning and find all of those posts. :lovestruc

@HappyGrape so much truth in what you said and the questions you posted are something I need to address. Especially the overtired one. I do have a problem with getting enough sleep and I'm sure it does lead to bad food choices.

Treats: My absolute favorite this time of year is Queen Anne's cordial cherries. I get a box every year and would eat the whole thing in one sitting if I let myself. This year when I got a box I decided I would enjoy them with the family so I only ate 2. That way I got a little bit without over doing it and they weren't sitting around the house tempting me.

I guess for savory it would have to be the bacon wrapped shrimp we make on Christmas Day. For that I think I'm going to have to practice portion control.

Favorite sweet treat at the holidays... if I could (and I should) only have one, I quess it would be mincemeat pie as that's something I wouldn't eat at any other time. Savory treat is tougher: we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve (Scandinavian style) and usually do potluck-style, so there isn't really anything consistently done from year to year, but if I'm hosting I usually do salmon as the main protein so I'll go with that.

Hallelujah - it's FRIDAY! My holiday officially starts at 4pm pacific, or earlier if things are quiet and I can sneak out. I am currently booked to work just Tues/Weds next week, but I keep thinking about how that really doesn't make much sense and maybe I should just take the entire week off. If I do that I'll want to go somewhere for at least a couple days, so I'm going to poke around and see what's available at the beach.

Yesterday most of the ladies in the office went out for a holiday lunch and photos were taken. The first ones since I put the weight back on and they sure were a motivator to get going again - YIKES :(. I think some waterproof hiking boots are going to be showing up underneath my Christmas tree, as they are a necessary tool to get moving again. Tomorrow I am getting my hair done, but the rest of the day is open to whatever I want, or don't want, to do - and Friday is totally free. At 3pm on Saturday we'll head down to the Seattle waterfront for Wings over Washington and then dinner, so most of Saturday is open as well. I'm thinking I may go see La La Land on Sunday, kind of a tradition to do a movie on Christmas Day, since we do the bulk of the celebrations on Christmas Eve. Oh, and then there's Monday with nothing planned as well, unless I decide to head out somewhere. It's going to be a fun and relaxing break.

I may or may not be checking in very much over the coming days, so here's to wishing you all a very Merry Holiday: may times spend with family and friends be sweet and fulfilling! Oh, and calorie free...

upload_2016-12-21_8-12-40.png

edited to add: three nights at my second favorite beach hotel is booked for next week!

Last edited:
I may or may not be checking in very much over the coming days, so here's to wishing you all a very Merry Holiday: may times spend with family and friends be sweet and fulfilling! Oh, and calorie free...

I hope you have a Merry Christmas with your family and friends as well ... its sounds like you have some great things planned - enjoy that break at the beach :D

I am back with my Woohoo Wednesday - I had my follow up visit with the dietician this morning and weighed in I have lost 1.5kg or about 3.3 pounds since my first visit about a month ago :cool1: So that would account for that little less bloated feeling I had noticed. Today we talked about foods high in iron and foods to eat or avoid to aid its absorption and my need to increase dairy. So feeling good today.

Hi everyone --- how is it already Wednesday?! I hope everyone is starting to get off their "year end funk" -- seems like it is a trend in the thread at the moment. I've been busy at the new job and haven't had much time to post and interact. I discovered this position will have a lot of travel in the first half of the year, so it'll be a real big challenge through 2017 to eat healthy and stay healthy while on the road.

For anyone who travels, any recommendations besides continuing to log food and work out in the hotel gym?

Part of my traveling includes a week long sales meeting in San Antonio at the end of January and going to Sweden for a corporate meeting the week before Princess Half Marathon. And a slew of little trips in between. I now have a business miles card just for work and I am so thankful to just have that to keep track of with expenses.

New job is great and amazing. I love my company and the people. It's definitely refreshing to have a clear head and a supportive environment.

I've come down with whatever seasonal allergies are hitting So Cal, so no running or walking for me. It RAINED today. Yes, water! From the sky! And we had an earthquake too. O_O

View attachment 211192

My grandma's sugar cookies. I have her recipe but they just don't taste the same. I stopped by to see her last Friday and she took a few out for me. I only had 2. Trying to keep it manageable. We did make cookies here today. I am very proud that I only ate a few small pieces of cookie dough. It was tough but I didn't eat cookies worth of dough. This is huge. I didn't even have this will power when I was pregnant. I am getting better with will power.

2 Woo Hoo today. I got my cookies made and didn't eat a lot of the dough and the other is I am done shopping just need to wrap now.

One not so good but not bad either was the kids first day of Christmas break and all they did was fight with each other. It might be a long break. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. We are going to lunch with my mom and grandfather to some nice restaurant. They need to behave. They should be good though.

New job is great and amazing. I love my company and the people. It's definitely refreshing to have a clear head and a supportive environment.

I've come down with whatever seasonal allergies are hitting So Cal, so no running or walking for me. It RAINED today. Yes, water! From the sky! And we had an earthquake too. O_O

It is great to hear you sounding so happy - how exciting that your job is feeling great and that you get to travel. So much happening for you job, travel, earthquake (hope it wasn't too big and that your house is ok) and rain! We have been getting some summer rain and storms here - the news just said it is likely to be a showery Christmas Day for us.

I have another WooHoo - it is for DS16 - he got his Learners Drivers Licence today - Over here they have to log 100 hours of driving in day and night conditions over the next year - and then can try for their Drivers Licence - even if they log the 100 hours earlier they still have to wait 12 months to get their Licence when they are at least 17. He had his first very nervous drive around the very quite backstreet near our place this afternoon. It is definitely a wake-up for how grown up he is getting seeing him drive my car! such a mix of emotions.

Hi everyone --- how is it already Wednesday?! I hope everyone is starting to get off their "year end funk" -- seems like it is a trend in the thread at the moment. I've been busy at the new job and haven't had much time to post and interact. I discovered this position will have a lot of travel in the first half of the year, so it'll be a real big challenge through 2017 to eat healthy and stay healthy while on the road.

For anyone who travels, any recommendations besides continuing to log food and work out in the hotel gym?

Part of my traveling includes a week long sales meeting in San Antonio at the end of January and going to Sweden for a corporate meeting the week before Princess Half Marathon. And a slew of little trips in between. I now have a business miles card just for work and I am so thankful to just have that to keep track of with expenses.

I'll admit to being jealous of your traveling! And if you can fit it in, running in new cities should be fun!

Yes, logging foods and sticking with eating basics.... no sauces, dressings on the side, lean proteins, fruits and veggies, but still enjoy the occasional local favorite.

Hey friends! Thanks to those who remembered that yesterday was supposed to be a WOOHOO Wednesday QOTD! Not sure how I missed that. Off to post today's question!.............P

QOTD for Thursday, December 22, 2016:

Walt&Santa.jpg

Santa's elves have his back. Ariel had Sebastian to watch out for her when she got into trouble. Anna was pulled out of a few difficulty situations by Kristof, Sven, and Olaf. Cinderella's friends Gus-Gus and Jaq were there to help her when she couldn't help herself. Walt had Roy to keep him on track when things went a bit off the rails....and Roy had Walt to remind him to DREAM BIG!

Regarding your healthy lifestyle:
Who/what is your support system? Who has your back? Who can you count on to pull you out of a difficult situation when you cannot seem to help yourself? Who keeps reminding you that you are worth it and you can do it and to DREAM BIG?

I was looking into Orangetheory for January.... Has anyone on here tried that?

I haven't even heard of it but I'm going to look it up! We have these gyms called Hitch Fit which is like personal trainers and I looked into that wondering how much it would cost. It's like $60 for a one hour session and you have to commit to 5 sessions a month! Quickly killed that thought lol.

I also have been eating horribly. Everyday I get up and say I'm going to do better but I fall apart at lunch. I'm not sure how to pull myself out of this. I've been lurking on here but am kind of ashamed at how things are going so I've been avoiding posting.

This is me! I finally got my butt off the couch and went to the gym yesterday. Eating was fine the first half of the day and then I made a dinner that was gross and that just derailed me. And I'm feeling hopeless because it's already Thursday and I'll be eating poorly on Saturday and Sunday. But I don't want to see any higher number on the scale! A million miles a minute in my brain.

I bring breakfasts and snacks for traveling. When I travel it's mostly 3-4 hour long road trips so I like to have Belvita, apples, bananas and such to snack on in the car. I also remind myself that I'm not obligated to go out with coworkers at the end of the day and drink/have dinner so that I can keep my usual workout plans. In past trips I've been guilted into going out and that led to many bad decisions so I just stopped doing it because I'd rather be on track than bloated and hungover the next morning. The good news is that a lot of the complimentary breakfasts at hotels have lots of fruit and cereal options so breakfast should be easy. It's everything else that's hard! But the fact that it's already on your mind means that you'll be focused and won't let it derail you.

QOTD for Thursday, December 22, 2016:

View attachment 211310

Santa's elves have his back. Ariel had Sebastian to watch out for her when she got into trouble. Anna was pulled out of a few difficulty situations by Kristof, Sven, and Olaf. Cinderella's friends Gus-Gus and Jaq were there to help her when she couldn't help herself. Walt had Roy to keep him on track when things went a bit off the rails....and Roy had Walt to remind him to DREAM BIG!

Regarding your healthy lifestyle:
Who/what is your support system? Who has your back? Who can you count on to pull you out of a difficult situation when you cannot seem to help yourself? Who keeps reminding you that you are worth it and you can do it and to DREAM BIG?

I don't really have a strong support system in weight loss outside of this group. Which I'm so thankful to have. But my parents are big support system in every other aspect of my life. They just don't really do a great job of helping me stay on the healthy eating track.

-----

It's been a while since I've been on! Tuesday night I had an ovarian cyst that I think may have burst. The pain wasn't horrible but definitely caused me a lot of anxiety so yesterday I worked from home. I'm feeling an odd mixture of motivation and hopelessness when it comes to my weight loss? I'm feeling motivated to work out and yesterday I went to the store and have a bunch of healthy eating options that I'm super proud of! But I feel like with Christmas it's one step forward and two steps back so, unfortunately, I'm just kinda ready for Christmas to be over so I can get back to my normal self. A coworker and I got a group of 4 people together to do a Brew to Brew run next year. We run from a brewery in KC to a brewery in Lawrence, KS (44 miles) relay style. So I have to be prepared to run 11ish miles by April! Which is fine because I'm ready to tackle my first half next year. In other words, I need to kick it into gear.

Yes, logging foods and sticking with eating basics.... no sauces, dressings on the side, lean proteins, fruits and veggies, but still enjoy the occasional local favorite.

e good news is that a lot of the complimentary breakfasts at hotels have lots of fruit and cereal options so breakfast should be easy. It's everything else that's hard! But the fact that it's already on your mind means that you'll be focused and won't let it derail you.

Such good suggestions! I would love to eat plenty of apples and strawberries, plus a salad and maybe some chicken (without the sauce or skin).

It's the buffet lunches or big dinners that have me worried. I know that I don't have to clear my plate and I should listen to my body telling me if I feel full. Lots of new challenges to overcome, but in a great way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter