Minnie Van pricing change is in effect: $42 from Pop to MK

disney seem to be getting greedy now. Such a shame as it seems to want to be pricing families who probably have to save hard for their "" magical" " holidays out of going.
I don't think the rate hike for the MV would change that at all. Reality is that people went to WDW for years before the MVs were introduced and got around on property just fine, and they will continue to. If you want the fork over the cash that is your choice, but not being able to take a polka dot van doesn't have any impact on the "magic"

Bus from DHS to Contemporary, walk to MK, keep $40 in your pocket?

I think the idea was to avoid having to wait for a bus with the horde of people leaving DHS after Fantasmic. Now an Uber/Lyft from DHS to Contemporary and walk to MK might be a good option to get a quick ride, but not break the bank. If PP were going to take a bus, I think DHS runs buses directly to MK, cutting out the need to go to the Contemporary.

I think the idea was to avoid having to wait for a bus with the horde of people leaving DHS after Fantasmic. Now an Uber/Lyft from DHS to Contemporary and walk to MK might be a good option to get a quick ride, but not break the bank. If PP were going to take a bus, I think DHS runs buses directly to MK, cutting out the need to go to the Contemporary.

I'm operating under the assumption that a bus to Contemporary will be less crowded / not have a line compared to a "park to park" Magic Kingdom bus.

I know I've waited forever when leaving DHS... for the tram to get to the car. I can't imagine a resort bus, particularly to Contemporary, would have the same level of wait as something lining up a larger volume of passengers, like the tram or the friendship boats.

I'm operating under the assumption that a bus to Contemporary will be less crowded / not have a line compared to a "park to park" Magic Kingdom bus.

I know I've waited forever when leaving DHS... for the tram to get to the car. I can't imagine a resort bus, particularly to Contemporary, would have the same level of wait as something lining up a larger volume of passengers, like the tram or the friendship boats.

I can see that. I guess I'd just go to the bus area, and see what comes first - MK or Contemporary. I suppose you could also go to the Grand Floridian, and take the resort monorail.

I think that if you are leaving DHS after Fantasmic, you'll have to wait for a bus, for sure because of the number of people leaving the park. But you'll also probably have to wait longer for a Minnie Van because of that same crowd of people leaving the park. Either way, you're going to probably be delayed.

Having recently taken a Lyft from HS to the Contemporary at HS park close, I would not do this. The Lyft drivers exit the HS parking lot the same way all the regular people who drove and parked do. Took us at least 30-40 min just to get out of the parking lot.
Minnie Vans exit over near the bus exit, so they don't get stuck in traffic (but more expensive).
If I had to do that particular hop again, I'd take a bus either straight to MK or to Contemporary. Yes, there are long lines, but buses hold more people.

Minnie Vans exit over near the bus exit, so they don't get stuck in traffic (but more expensive).

This is one instance where a Minnie Van might make sense. Thanks for the information!

Wow, that's even higher than what we paid last month in September 2018. We started paying $25. Then one day it went up to $36 around 9/15/2018 or so, with no warning. I didn't look, assuming the Minnievan was a flat fee and we were in a hurry in the morning, so I ended up paying it without knowing. But now it's already $42? Wow, with tips that'd be $50 to get to MK.

I'm glad that they raised the prices, though, because the other way it was impossible to get the minnievan in the morning or the evening during park closing, so it was nice to be only $25, but also worthless cause you can't get it. I hope that's enough. I mean, what if for $50 a trip and I still can't get it? The time the price went up to $36, I still had to wait 10 minutes for one. But I was so happy that I caught a Minnevan.

Are the Lyft drivers mainly Disney employees?
Most of the Lyft drivers we had weren't Disney employees. Some couldn't speak English. Some didn't know where to stop and stop in the middle of the road, so while we were getting out at Epcot, cars were honking at us. None was as great as Minnievan drivers we had. There's no question that the Minnevan is far above Lyft in quality, but in terms of getting us there quickly, all our Lyft rides worked out fine. I don't look foreward to taking them the way I look forward to the bus or Minnievan, though. Lyft has no Disney Magic in them. But they are fast and cheap.

Some didn't know where to stop and stop in the middle of the road, so while we were getting out at Epcot, cars were honking at us.
The designated pick-up/drop-off at Epcot is in the middle of the road, or rather the middle of a lane in the handicap parking. It can block cars trying to back out, or even just trying to get to the exit.

This price increase will only stand if folks don't mind the "pork job" on excessive rates. Brings rental cars back to the forefront as an option Another reason not to return to WDW very often.

I am so confused. Why are people paying these prices?? We just got home, and used Uber almost every day from BCV to anywhere, mostly other hotels. It never costs more than 10.00 one way, typically 8.00-9.00. Its so easy! Are you paying for the polka dots? I mean, why pay so much more?

For me, it's worth the extra money because you're getting a guaranteed level of quality and service. With MV, there is a zero percent chance that some creepy dude is going to show up in a beater that barely runs, doesn't have good air conditioning, and smells like a port-a-potty on the inside. The MV drivers are also Disney employees who know exactly where to pick you up and drop you off, and overall provide the magical level of service that Disney is known for.

For me, it's worth the extra money because you're getting a guaranteed level of quality and service. With MV, there is a zero percent chance that some creepy dude is going to show up in a beater that barely runs, doesn't have good air conditioning, and smells like a port-a-potty on the inside. The MV drivers are also Disney employees who know exactly where to pick you up and drop you off, and overall provide the magical level of service that Disney is known for.
I get it. Can't be any good unless you pay twice the going rate. No wonder they continue to raise the prices given that logic!

I get it. Can't be any good unless you pay twice the going rate. No wonder they continue to raise the prices given that logic!

I mentioned above that I paid $26.44 for my Minnie Van ride, which I don’t think is twice the going rate given that I need a car seat with a harness. I mean, when you’re already paying thousands of dollars for a trip, an extra $10 for the Minnie Van vs a ride share just seems trivial.

Also, nowhere in the quoted post did it say that ride shares “can’t be any good.” The poster was just noting that there are risks associated with ride shares (however small) that are removed by using a Minnie Van. The service really is top notch. We really enjoyed our Minnie Van trip.

I mentioned above that I paid $26.44 for my Minnie Van ride, which I don’t think is twice the going rate given that I need a car seat with a harness. I mean, when you’re already paying thousands of dollars for a trip, an extra $10 for the Minnie Van vs a ride share just seems trivial.
For your Poly-Epcot trip, the Lyft website estimates a fare of $18-$21 for XL which is the comparable sized vehicle to MinnieVan. And of course, that would NOT have a child seat -- only some Uber's have child seats.

So the fare for your short MV ride was comparable to what a Lyft XL would have been.

That said, the MinnieVan pricing is double (or more) for many rides. Lyft's pricing, per their website, is Minimum fare $6.20 and $1.21 per mile + $.20 per minute. MV pricing is $15 minimum fare + $2.75 per mile, with no time charge. So if you'd had a longer trip (or a very short trip) MV would have been a LOT more than Lyft XL.

Personally, I'd pay $10 for the cute factor, but everybody's needs and priorities are different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter