Minnie Van pricing change is in effect: $42 from Pop to MK

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
We're staying at Pop right now and need to get to MK early tomorrow morning. So at 7:15pm tonight (while at Pop) I opened the lyft app and it said a Minnie Van from Pop to MK would he $42.67. I know it had been announced there would be a change from a $25 flat rate to a rate based on distance. Wanted to let everyone know that change has arrived, and the prices are surprising.

I've checked it couple more times and the rate has been in the $42-$43 range each time. We paid $11-$12 each way for regular lyft from Pop to the Contemporary last Saturday night (today is Monday) so Disney is clearly using their own pricing structure rather than lyft's, which isn't surprising. But I wasn't expecting the price difference to be this significant.

I was thinking it started at $20 then went up to $25 at some point. Either way that's a massive increase though.
That's correct. Now it's $15 + $2.75 per mile.

To be fair, though, the correct price comparison would be to Lyft or Uber XL...not regular Lyft. MV's are not max-4 rider vehicles; they hold 6 passengers like the XLs.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that per mile cost is more than double Uber/Lyft's XL per mile charge.

I was thinking it started at $20 then went up to $25 at some point. Either way that's a massive increase though.
Yes, it started at $20 and I got a discount for my first ten rides at $15 each. I used it only twice last January 2018. Beach club to The Grand Floridian and Saratoga Springs to The Grand Floridian. What a Grand way to arrive for Afternoon Tea! I guess I won’t be doing that this year. It will be back to a bus and a boat for me!

Yup it was $20 when we used it in August 2017 and a few months later increased to $25. I think this new price increas has priced me out!

That's correct. Now it's $15 + $2.75 per mile.

To be fair, though, the correct price comparison would be to Lyft or Uber XL...not regular Lyft. MV's are not max-4 rider vehicles; they hold 6 passengers like the XLs.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that per mile cost is more than double Uber/Lyft's XL per mile charge.
Google Maps shows a crazy route circling around the back of MK, at 9.3 mi. (about 2 mi. longer than it should be.) At $2.75/mi., that's $25.58, + the $15 base charge, giving $40.58. So if Lyft is using Google's routing to calculate the distance, that's pretty close, though I don't know where the extra $2 is coming from.

I am so confused. Why are people paying these prices?? We just got home, and used Uber almost every day from BCV to anywhere, mostly other hotels. It never costs more than 10.00 one way, typically 8.00-9.00. Its so easy! Are you paying for the polka dots? I mean, why pay so much more?

Let's see a 10 minute drive, under 5 miles for $42? Seems to match the price of a bottle of Coke now! Yikes.

Oh this will probably get me in trouble, but I think Disney needs to make this the new shirt.
mickey_bend_over.jpg

Are you paying for the polka dots? I mean, why pay so much more?
Pretty much! I guess they do drop you off closer at MK, but the walking would probably do a lot of us good anyway and not lighten the wallet so much.

I think the only tome I would use this would be I’d we had 6 people and I couldn’t find an Uber/Lift XL.

Oh and it’s not just polka dots... there’s a music loop as well! Greedy little mouse!

I am so confused. Why are people paying these prices?? We just got home, and used Uber almost every day from BCV to anywhere, mostly other hotels. It never costs more than 10.00 one way, typically 8.00-9.00. Its so easy! Are you paying for the polka dots? I mean, why pay so much more?

For our group in December it was not only cheaper, it was the only thing that could accomodate us. 5 adults, 1 child. We had a scooter and needed a car seat. At these prices we'd stick with the busses. For Disney, that not only means they lose our Minnie Van business, but it would also rule out us staying at OKW- love the resort, hate the bus system. It also pulls several other resorts out of our choices. But, unless business goes down with these price increases, they have no reason to change. They're just charging what the market will bear. I'm not up in arms over it, Disney is a business and it would be stupid not to charge what the market will bear. So no, it's not for the polka dots, although the service was stellar and we loved it. I had planned on using it some this next trip, but not at these prices.

Because they need two car seats, or because they want to be picked up/dropped off at Magic Kingdom with the resort buses rather than at Transportation & Ticket Center or Contemporary.

Haven't you been on here long enough to know "because it's Disney" They routinely charge 2x the going rate for things and people pay it.

(Yes, the two car seat argument is valid but other than that it's the "well it must be better because it's Disney" argument. LOL!)

Some people don't like Uber/Lyft and prefer a Disney employee, others need car seats. Some like the cuteness of it all.

Google Maps shows a crazy route circling around the back of MK, at 9.3 mi. (about 2 mi. longer than it should be.) At $2.75/mi., that's $25.58, + the $15 base charge, giving $40.58. So if Lyft is using Google's routing to calculate the distance, that's pretty close, though I don't know where the extra $2 is coming from.
Yep, I see that occasionally at certain types of venues -- usually geographically-large places like airports.

There is one generic "street address" for something big like MCO or MK, and that theoretical street address may or not make sense to the GPS. Where I get it pretty often is at both MIA and FLL airports. Instead of directing me to the terminals, the GPS sometimes tried to route me to the geographic center of the airport. At MIA, that's in the middle of Cargo City, which is closed to the public. At FLL, it's in the middle of the runways, so again the GPS routes me to the cargo area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter