Minnie Van Service to Airport - How long until Magic Express Costs $$$ ?

Seeing that they are rolling out a new look and feel for DME, I wouldn’t be surprised if a fee is added for riding!

We stopped using DME over two years ago once we had to use another way to get to the Swan. We quickly got spoiled with a Towne car service that quickly gets us to our location without multiple stops and without having to be at the airport so early. We are old school and Uber/Lyft are not our thing. We pay $160 for round trip though!

Seeing that they are rolling out a new look and feel for DME, I wouldn’t be surprised if a fee is added for riding!

We stopped using DME over two years ago once we had to use another way to get to the Swan. We quickly got spoiled with a Towne car service that quickly gets us to our location without multiple stops and without having to be at the airport so early. We are old school and Uber/Lyft are not our thing. We pay $160 for round trip though!
No new feel just a new paint job.

As I'm reading through this thread, I keep thinking about DLR and their "magical express". On our first trip to DLR we couldn't believe there was a fee for the bus from LAX to DLH. After a few trips back to DLR and trying other forms of transportation, we now have no problem springing for the Disney bus. (We may have just been unlucky with cheaper options but they were all miserable!)

DME from MCO is an entirely different story. I've never known it not to be free and it would really prickle my quills if there was suddenly a fee involved - even if it was cheaper than DLR. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the nickle and dime feel is really a turn off. DH and I aren't super-rich - we save all year for a 6 day vacation, and we are good little guests who always stay onsite and opt in for at least one party each trip, but I'm starting to not feel as wanted or welcome as I used to, because my pockets aren't growing as deep and fast as Disney seems to be wanting.

For 2 of us, I have budgeted $200 a day for food and souvenirs. This is after the flight, the rental car and the hotel.

It scares me because a single bottle of water is $3..... a tee shirt is $30..... 1 lunch can easily run $40 and with food and wine, each bite size serving is $5 to $10......

The idea of spending $200 a day and having to be mindful of a budget just seems out of whack. But it's Disney World.....

We have already given up on Disneyland. It's not worth our time or money to ever go back. How long until I feel the same way about the World? Disney's greed has destroyed Disneyland. The focus on annual passholders has destroyed that park. The ripping out planters and grass to make the walkways as huge as they can be just so they can shoehorn more people in......

As I'm reading through this thread, I keep thinking about DLR and their "magical express". On our first trip to DLR we couldn't believe there was a fee for the bus from LAX to DLH. After a few trips back to DLR and trying other forms of transportation, we now have no problem springing for the Disney bus. (We may have just been unlucky with cheaper options but they were all miserable!)

DME from MCO is an entirely different story. I've never known it not to be free and it would really prickle my quills if there was suddenly a fee involved - even if it was cheaper than DLR. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the nickle and dime feel is really a turn off. DH and I aren't super-rich - we save all year for a 6 day vacation, and we are good little guests who always stay onsite and opt in for at least one party each trip, but I'm starting to not feel as wanted or welcome as I used to, because my pockets aren't growing as deep and fast as Disney seems to be wanting.
I don't know if Disney cares about the return guest as much as the new guest.

New guests won't ever know that resort parking was free or DME was free (if they charge a fee). New guests will want to come and experience all the new things and spend their money like good little guests.

I think, in general, its a philosophy that businesses seem keen on. Advertise "low" prices and just tack on fees to raise prices without technically raising prices. The low (or comparable) prices get you hooked and get you looking and when a small fee or two is "tacked on" .. you don't care. You are already sold. Disney is facing competition from all the Universal hotels. So a parking fee helped them raise prices but still have their hotels have a comparable rack rate .. and it also encourages guest to stay onsite using ME. Win/win.

Disney didn't have a parking problem. (They have plenty of parking). So the fee isn't to help them pay the taxes or rent on that space (like parking fees are used where space is limited) ... They wanted to quickly raise hotel prices across the board. Instead of doing so, they just implemented a parking fee that (despite the negative backlash at first) the new guests will pay without thinking about because it is "tacked on" after you are already there and it is an "industry standard" so most new guests are probably used to it.

It's probably why we may see a ME fee and we probably will see a Disney "resort" fee (that will supposedly help pay for things like free Wi-Fi and the bus transportation, etc.).

Disney could essentially raise the cost of staying at their hotels two more times .. without touching the actual room rate - so when looked at side-by-side with other hotels, you'll think "That's not too bad".

Disney didn't have a parking problem. (They have plenty of parking). So the fee isn't to help them pay the taxes or rent on that space (like parking fees are used where space is limited) ... They wanted to quickly raise hotel prices across the board. Instead of doing so, they just implemented a parking fee that (despite the negative backlash at first) the new guests will pay without thinking about because it is "tacked on" after you are already there and it is an "industry standard" so most new guests are probably used to it.

I know you're making a point about guest perception, but please don't call this an industry standard (even in quotes). It's only standard where parking is a premium, and that's usually only in metropolitan areas. Disney World isn't close to that.

I'm only nitpicking because I have such a huge problem with Disney's explanation, not yours. :)

I know you're making a point about guest perception, but please don't call this an industry standard (even in quotes). It's only standard where parking is a premium, and that's usually only in metropolitan areas. Disney World isn't close to that.

I'm only nitpicking because I have such a huge problem with Disney's explanation, not yours. :)
Agreed. I rolled my eyes when they called me personally (when I complained) and they gave me that explanation.

I don't know if Disney cares about the return guest as much as the new guest.

New guests won't ever know that resort parking was free or DME was free (if they charge a fee). New guests will want to come and experience all the new things and spend their money like good little guests.

I think, in general, its a philosophy that businesses seem keen on. Advertise "low" prices and just tack on fees to raise prices without technically raising prices. The low (or comparable) prices get you hooked and get you looking and when a small fee or two is "tacked on" .. you don't care. You are already sold. Disney is facing competition from all the Universal hotels. So a parking fee helped them raise prices but still have their hotels have a comparable rack rate .. and it also encourages guest to stay onsite using ME. Win/win.

It's probably why we may see a ME fee and we probably will see a Disney "resort" fee (that will supposedly help pay for things like free Wi-Fi and the bus transportation, etc.).

Disney could essentially raise the cost of staying at their hotels two more times .. without touching the actual room rate - so when looked at side-by-side with other hotels, you'll think "That's not too bad".
yes and no. Disney already has a problem when their room rates are put side by side with others. Theirs are considerably higher. Look at the lowest, All Star sports and it can run in excess of $150 some times. For a bad motel 6 with some theming? Go offsite and see the price drop by half.

SO many of the offsite hotels just blow Disney out of the water when put side by side. All Disney has is the "magic" and if they're gonna tack on extra fees for that, they're toast.

Disney has to compete with Waldorf Astroria for the high end guest and so many better hotels for all the rest. When you have to drive anyways...... We're staying at Bonnet creek for $179 a night and we get a suite, 900 square feet. 3 pools, 2 lazy rivers..... right next to Carribean beach...... Sure, there is no extra magic hours and we had to wait until 30 days to book fastpasses, but for the couple hundred saved for a "comparable" room, I'll take that.

If Disney does decide to charge for DME, I think the fee will be nominal but will be free as part of a package. People love to bundle.

Not really sure why people think Disney is going to start charging for DME. It keeps people on site.

If they did charge it likely would be part of a resort fee rather than a charge just for the service.

Not really sure why people think Disney is going to start charging for DME. It keeps people on site.

If they did charge it likely would be part of a resort fee rather than a charge just for the service.

Oh sure, charge us drivers specifically for having to bring a car, but charge everyone for the plane takers.

:mad:

Oh sure, charge us drivers specifically for having to bring a car, but charge everyone for the plane takers.

:mad:
They could put both into the resort fee. I believe the Swan and Dolphin charge a resort fee and then a separate parking fee. Obviously if you fly and then take a service there that would be a charge too.

@DisFanDad - Did they provide dates for free breakfast, loyalty points toward free stays, free snacks? Those are "industry standard" items when I was top tier in Marriott, as well as the Hilton hotel chains. Since I paid the parking fee at several Hilton properties, then the other benefits will soon appear, yes?

You can take a Minnie Van to the airport for $150 from what I hear. But that's for maximum capacity, 6 or 8 or whatever it is. When the current Mears contract with DME expires, it wouldn't be entirely out of character for Disney to charge per person for DME, not per group, so for larger groups Minnie Vans may look like a bargain in a few years.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a thought about the smaller airport transportation companies in Orlando that are being squeezed right out of business. Admittedly, I never thought about this until I received an email from the lovely gentleman who drove our family to/from MCO a couple of weeks ago. He explained that he and his wife started this family business over 20 years ago, and due to the ever increasing competition their business is really suffering. I think he saw the writing on the wallk, and he was reaching out to his customers. I am aware of the struggles that small businesses face in my local community, but I confess, when I am on a Disney vacation I leave my worldly cares behind when I am 'in the bubble ', and I never really considered the difficulties of small businesses in Orlando that depend on tourist dollars to survive in such a competitive climate.

Last edited:
ehhhh...... read that CONTRACT. Also DVC owners. Not sure there is anything in the CONTRACT around this?

Notwithstanding the contract itself, I think the real question is whether there is a line item in the dues that includes a charge for MDE. I don't actually know the answer, but I suspect that we *are* paying for MDE as part of the transportation charges.

If so, they'd have to either continue offering "free" (actually pre-paid) service to DVC members, or remove that cost from the dues. Whatever the contract says, I'm pretty certain it's not legal to charge members for a service that's not provided. If not, then of course DVC would be paying along with everyone else.

Though as a DVC member with "free" resort parking, almost any charge for DME would be enough to push me to a rental.

For 2 of us, I have budgeted $200 a day for food and souvenirs. This is after the flight, the rental car and the hotel.

It scares me because a single bottle of water is $3..... a tee shirt is $30..... 1 lunch can easily run $40 and with food and wine, each bite size serving is $5 to $10......

The idea of spending $200 a day and having to be mindful of a budget just seems out of whack. But it's Disney World.....

We have already given up on Disneyland. It's not worth our time or money to ever go back. How long until I feel the same way about the World? Disney's greed has destroyed Disneyland. The focus on annual passholders has destroyed that park. The ripping out planters and grass to make the walkways as huge as they can be just so they can shoehorn more people in......

Tip: Free iced water from QS restaurants. Never pay $3 for a bottled water again. I think you'll be fine on $100 each per day, that's still pretty generous if you eat QS or cheaper TS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter