Minnie Van Service to Airport - How long until Magic Express Costs $$$ ?

It's stupid of me, but if they had kept parking free and just raised the room rate, it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

it's not just you - I think most people feel the same ... but my guess is because they wanted to add the parking fee as basically *free* money to them and then they are going to raise all the room rates significantly once galaxy's Edge opens ...

With Disney it's rarely charging A or B but rather both

but when you look side by side, a Disney resort, a Universal resort, and an off property resort, the numbers are definitely weighed on Disney. There hits a point that they cannot raise rates any more.

Disney is an expensive vacation. I mentioned to one person that I was going to Disney World for 2 weeks and they made the usual joke about not knowing my rich uncle died, or ask if i won the lottery.

I agree with that 100%. The reason I take ME is for the convenience of picking up my luggage and because it is free, even though it takes longer. When it isn’t free the added time would push me to uber/car service, especially since we are a family of 4 and the price would likely be per person.

Yeah, I’m in this ballpark here too. The convenience of not schlepping bags with little kids and Tagalongs parents in their 60s makes the ME worthwhile, and my girls LOVE the “mickey bus”. There is something about that bus pulling up. And we don’t do MUCH the day we get there... but not for free in such a manageable airport as Orlando I’d rethink the convenience. However, losing the perk wouldn’t have me change to offsite.

I wish Disney would get on board with industry standards for their hotels...alas, I see it only happening when the standard benefits them, not when it benefits the guest. And now with 60 day FP, EMH, and Minnie Van access at select DS hotels, it's even more tempting to stay off site. If they keep the perks for the DS hotels past 2019, after 2019 we may stay off site.

Oh sure, charge us drivers specifically for having to bring a car, but charge everyone for the plane takers.

:mad:
I know this is a slightly old comment but do remember not everyone who has a car at Disney drove there. Plenty of people fly then rent a car. So a resort fee would impact those people too.

Also I know the Autotrain gets talked about a lot (goes from DC area to Sanford) and on a whim I just looked and saw that they actually have vehicle cargo. Without knowing for sure it's possible people bring their own cars that way rather than renting a car or driving the full way.

There really shouldn't be any animosity towards the method of transportation one uses. If there should be animosity it should be pointed at Disney for charging for parking, or charging for resort fees (if it comes to that), or charging for DME (if it comes to that) regardless of the industry standard line Disney likes to use or if one is used to those fees elsewhere.

I know this is a slightly old comment but do remember not everyone who has a car at Disney drove there. Plenty of people fly then rent a car. So a resort fee would impact those people too.

Also I know the Autotrain gets talked about a lot (goes from DC area to Sanford) and on a whim I just looked and saw that they actually have vehicle cargo. Without knowing for sure it's possible people bring their own cars that way rather than renting a car or driving the full way.

There really shouldn't be any animosity towards the method of transportation one uses. If there should be animosity it should be pointed at Disney for charging for parking, or charging for resort fees (if it comes to that), or charging for DME (if it comes to that) regardless of the industry standard line Disney likes to use or if one is used to those fees elsewhere.

Believe me, all my complaints on this are aimed at Disney. :)

I've seen quite a few people on these boards mention flying in and renting a car, but those folks at least have the option of foregoing the car and getting out uncharged (for now).

If you drive in, you've got to put your car somewhere. I need one of those Ant-man pocket tanks: car edition.

Believe me, all my complaints on this are aimed at Disney. :)

I've seen quite a few people on these boards mention flying in and renting a car, but those folks at least have the option of foregoing the car and getting out uncharged (for now).

If you drive in, you've got to put your car somewhere. I need one of those Ant-man pocket tanks: car edition.
Well though truthfully there are plenty of people that don't have to drive it's just cost prohibitive to fly or the flight times aren't that great, or the drive to the airport is a ways away, etc. But it's not the same as someone who is within reasonable driving distance to Orlando and thus flying just doesn't make any sense. I mean I would choose to drive the 3 1/2 hours from KC to STL anyday over flying there (and it's majority of the time way more expensive to fly there than it is to drive there but flying is available).

I could save a good amount of money by driving but at 2 days of travel there and 2 days of travel back it's not feasible for multiple reasons. So I fly and would rent a car. I *could* use DME but it's not really our style. We like having the control ourselves at least in terms of that plus we'd go to Universal for several days too.

Well though truthfully there are plenty of people that don't have to drive it's just cost prohibitive to fly or the flight times aren't that great, or the drive to the airport is a ways away, etc. But it's not the same as someone who is within reasonable driving distance to Orlando and thus flying just doesn't make any sense. I mean I would choose to drive the 3 1/2 hours from KC to STL anyday over flying there (and it's majority of the time way more expensive to fly there than it is to drive there but flying is available).

I could save a good amount of money by driving but at 2 days of travel there and 2 days of travel back it's not feasible for multiple reasons. So I fly and would rent a car. I *could* use DME but it's not really our style. We like having the control ourselves at least in terms of that plus we'd go to Universal for several days too.

If it helps, I would certainly advocate for you to be able to park your rental car for free. :)

I am surprised they don't already. I know my wife asked me to schedule the ME recently for our trip coming up in Oct and i asked, 'are they charging for that yet?'... nope... but i have to believe its coming..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter