Mission space blech!

I'm not going to attempt Orange. I wasn't thrilled with the Green re-do either. I may go if its a walk on (it often is), but otherwise I can skip it.

Blah- that stinks. I wish I was brave enough to attempt orange, but can't see it ever happening!

Probably the least popular attraction at WDW next to Stitch. It's a shame they tore down an entire pavilion for a pretty mediocre attraction.

Not only does it make a lot of people sick or nauseous (myself included) .. I just didn't really find it very fun or exciting either. It's the only attraction at WDW that I just have no interested doing ever again.

I went in 2010 .. and to this day my wife and I swear we got on the "Green" side (knowing we aren't thrill riders) and we came out nauseous and just had to spend an hour or so recovering. But I feel the only way we would have gotten sick is if we did the Orange side. So we must have gotten brave and said "what the heck" and did the Orange side (because I distinctly remember the centrifugal forces) and the experience wrecked our memory :)

I suspect the Mission Space restaurant will be infinitely more popular than the attraction.

The orange ride is an insane experience that makes you feel like your actually blasting off. I wouldn’t call that mediocre. People just can’t handle the effects of it, including myself when I did it once

As far as a ride though, it’s pretty insane and very cool

Last edited:
Probably the least popular attraction at WDW next to Stitch. It's a shame they tore down an entire pavilion for a pretty mediocre attraction.

From what I understand the Horizon's Pavilion had some structural issues and had to be torn down. I don't know how true it is, but there was something about a sinkhole causing damage to part of the building. I don't know that it could have been saved anyway.

I like Mission: SPACE, but mostly just to play with the buttons in the capsule. I don't like the new Green version, but the Orange is tough on my back so I don't like to do it often. I think the general intensity and all of the warnings scare people away from it. It is a cool ride though.

I went in 2010 .. and to this day my wife and I swear we got on the "Green" side (knowing we aren't thrill riders) and we came out nauseous and just had to spend an hour or so recovering. But I feel the only way we would have gotten sick is if we did the Orange side. So we must have gotten brave and said "what the heck" and did the Orange side (because I distinctly remember the centrifugal forces) and the experience wrecked our memory :)

THIS! MY GOODNESS US TOO! Reading through the thread before I posted our experience and my jaw hit the floor!
Our honeymoon in June 2009, wanted to try it and we aren't too thrill seeking and heeding the warning signs we stayed with the green side. When we got up to board we were taken what seemed like pretty far to board and we definitely experienced the orange! We were both ruined the rest of the day nauseous and couldn't eat. I kept saying we must have gotten on the wrong color somehow and my husband kept telling no.

It wasn't until a few years later when I youtubed the different sides to see the difference that it was definitely the orange side we rode!

Did green this past year and all of us loved it with DS5. One of our favorites.

So nice to know we weren't the only ones :) EDITED to finish my post! :badpc:

We were able to take our 3 year old on Green and she loved it! We thought it was just fine. Me and my 6 year old have been on Orange at least a dozen times and sometimes back to back. We cannot get enough! But my wife said what the heck and rode Orange with our 6 year old and when she came out she said never again. She said she almost cried!

You couldn't pay me to go on this ride! I'm leaving this whole building out of our touring plans and hoping my DH and DS don't notice. :duck: Ok, half kidding...I told them about it briefly but plan to downplay it big time. I don't think we'll miss it.

I took one look at the sample ride cabin near the entrance and decided there was no way I was going to try it. I wish they would have left 1 tame ride on that side of Future World. There used to be World of Motion, Horizons and Universe of Energy and now it's all more thrilling rides.

I used to like it, but I think they changed the scenario up. you used to go to Mars if I recall. Now it's like a trip around Earth? I've only done Green, and that's fine for me, it's more the story I find on the dull side. Also, the last time a rode it it broke down and we all got stuck inside. I've never considered myself claustrophobic. I do now.

I liked it prior to the change, as well. I had no idea they were changing it until we rode it. It was a let down.

I also had no idea that you could get stuck inside, just something I never thought of. Yeah, this is off my list permanently now. May I ask how long you were in there for? I'm starting to feel anxious just thinking about it. The new version is not worth that chance. Actually, even the old version wasn't worth that ...

This is my fave ride at Epcot and it's Orange all the way! I'm lucky to be able to look right, left, up and down with no ill effects and if there is no-one next to me I can press the other as switches as well as mine.
I can then get off and go straight back on again!
I'm over 60 years old so it's obviously not an age related thing. I've always had a high tolerance to rides though and never had nausea issues. Others in my family not so much though.

I get motion sick easily. The carousel does a number on me and the Tea Cups? Forget about it! After everything I read on here about how horrible Mission Space was, I wasn't sure I even wanted to do Green. I told DH there was no way I was doing Orange. Then we got there and DH was trying to get my scaredy cat 17 year old brother (who freaks out on kiddie style coasters at the carnival) to ride Green with us. As my brother was protesting, DH was like, "Fine, let's just do Orange then. We'll do the baby side just for you." He shot me a look that I better keep my mouth shut and hurriedly pushed us into line. Once we were in line, my brother quickly realized he'd been played, but DH managed to talk him into riding with my help, cuz it was my mission to get him to actually ride something besides iasw this trip, and if that meant I had to suffer too, so be it! Although I was a little frustrated with DH, I liked his style. My brother actually enjoyed the ride, and it sparked getting him to ride Soarin, BTM, and FOP, so I consider it a win. For me, it wasn't nearly as bad as all the hype I had read on here. The launch portion was rough, but I felt completely fine afterwards. We did the green side after with my DD and felt it was completely lame in comparison.

Ahh... too bad. I love Mission Space Orange. Then again, my wife and I really enjoy big coasters and thrill rides. I totally see how it messes with folks who are motion sensitive.

The only ride in WDW I cannot handle is the teacups. :crazy2:

I liked it prior to the change, as well. I had no idea they were changing it until we rode it. It was a let down.

I also had no idea that you could get stuck inside, just something I never thought of. Yeah, this is off my list permanently now. May I ask how long you were in there for? I'm starting to feel anxious just thinking about it. The new version is not worth that chance. Actually, even the old version wasn't worth that ...
We got stuck too. I did not consider myself claustrophobic until that moment. There was a recording that kept saying "Your mission has been delayed" and I seem to remember a fan blowing cool air on us. We have ridden both sides but I think this happened on green. I believe that it lasted about 5 minutes but seemed like an eternity.

T

THIS! MY GOODNESS US TOO! Reading through the thread before I posted our experience and my jaw hit the floor!
Our honeymoon in June 2009, wanted to try it and we aren't too thrill seeking and heeding the warning signs we stayed with the green side. When we got up to board we were taken what seemed like pretty far to board and we definitely experienced the orange! We were both ruined the rest of the day nauseous and couldn't eat. I kept saying we must have gotten on the wrong color somehow and my husband kept telling no.

It wasn't until a few years later when I youtubed the different sides to see the difference that it was definitely the orange side we rode!

Did green this past year and all of us loved it with DS5. One of our favorites.

So nice to know we weren't the only ones :) EDITED to finish my post! :badpc:
LOL . .and I thought we were the only ones.
We went just a few months after you - January of 2010. *shrug* . .Maybe the green side still moved then? Just not as fast?? To this day I still wonder what the heck we did.

The problem with the ride, I feel, is you want to look to your left and right .. which you naturally do my turning your head in most cases -- not good for a centrifuge ride as that can help make you nauseous. I probably would have been fine if I would have just kept my head and eyes forward .. but I wanted to see what the other people were doing.

MAYBE .. just MAYBE I will try the green sides with my kids. MAYBE

This is my fave ride at Epcot and it's Orange all the way! I'm lucky to be able to look right, left, up and down with no ill effects and if there is no-one next to me I can press the other as switches as well as mine.
I can then get off and go straight back on again!
I'm over 60 years old so it's obviously not an age related thing. I've always had a high tolerance to rides though and never had nausea issues. Others in my family not so much though.

This is me too! I remember going on this ride during the soft opening back in 2003? and it was WAY more intense. I loved it then! When DH and I returned a few years later we noticed right away how they had toned it down and that was before they moved to the orange and green designations. I thought as I aged it would bother me more, but so far I’m good. Rode orange in 2016 with my kids and they like it too! Guess maybe I missed my calling and should have been an astronaut :rotfl2: I think when it first opened I read actual astronauts did ride it and said the ride was similar to their actual training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter