MK Bus wheelchair/ECV at closing

Or if you do use the line for ECVs and there’s a large queue, just tell the driver you’re happy to wait for the next bus and let those waiting board ahead of you. We’ve definitely done this in the past. And agree with the pp that everyone needs to pack patience. I have to tell myself that I will eventually get to wear I need to go. It’s not worth getting my knickers in a twist and driving my blood pressure up.

This.

I’m on *vacation* people. When I’m waiting for that bus, I’m at freaking Disney World - the place where thousands and thousands of people dream of being every day - and I’m on vacation with people I love (and a lot of other people who I don’t know, but I’m going to assume to be friendly) and I am not there to fight over a spot on a bus. I’m not there to rush, or ruin anyone else’s vacation.

I’m there because for more than 50 years it’s been my home away from home. And if I have to wait for another bus, that’s OK. I’m waiting at Disney World. My life is pretty sweet.

There’s no shortcuts to this; I promise you, if there was a better system, Disney would be using it. And they *are* using it on part of the property - the Skyliner is the current newest, best people-moving system they have.

I’ve said it before, I will say it again - and again, until we all get the memo: If I am using a mobility device at WDW, I get in line for Disney transportation of any kind knowing it can take up to 90 minutes (maybe longer during “rush hour”) to get to my destination. If I get there early, it’s a “bonus extra” as my FIL used to say.

:::end rant:::
:::end soapbox:::

And how are you gonna determine who has an invisible disability and who is just tired? Are you gonna ask for documentation? Question everyone sitting there? It's called an invisible disability for a reason. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but this is not the disability Olympics and no one gets to determine what disability gets to have priority over others.
Exactly, and there are differing degrees of some disabilities that usually result in using a wheelchair either part or full time where the person doesn’t need one except in rare instances (like long distance trips).
Disagree. What if there are no chairs in line, people who are in line have been waiting for 30 minutes. The bus pulls up and as it's moving into the load zone, a party using an ECV pulls up with 6 other people, in the "seperate line". So, they should be allowed to board before all the guests who have waited for 30 minutes? And now the 7 people who have already waited 30 minutes won't be able to board because the ECV group displaced them, after waiting in line. They have to wait potentially another 30 minutes while the person and the group with the ECV didn't wait at all? Nope.
Yeah, some people can’t really stand for the time in between buses and either have to lean on their cane (if they have one), make a “makeshift bench” out of the railings or something, or sit down on the ground. So that scooter party that just pulled up just made it tougher for those of us with standing intolerances.

Exactly, and there are differing degrees of some disabilities that usually result in using a wheelchair either part or full time where the person doesn’t need one except in rare instances (like long distance trips).

Yeah, some people can’t really stand for the time in between buses and either have to lean on their cane (if they have one), make a “makeshift bench” out of the railings or something, or sit down on the ground. So that scooter party that just pulled up just made it tougher for those of us with standing intolerances.
No, the scooter user brought a tool to provide a needed seat. You are welcome to bring a rollator or walker (or a scooter or wheelchair) that incorporates a seat.

Last edited:
An issue is when there are wheeled devices in their proper spaces and there is no additional seating at the same level (eg, you need to go up several stairs to get to a seat, as is the case on at least some Disney buses). Some individuals with disabilities who don't use an ecv or a wheelchair cannot climb stairs. They are effectively "competing" with ecv/wheelchair users for a scarce resource (the seats that are designated for use by the disabled but "disappear" when folded out of the way of an ecv or wheelchair). The pool of people that needs the spaces is larger than it appears, if one is only looking at wheels.
How did they climb the steps on to the bus if they can not climb the steps to seats in back of bus?

They used the ramp that deploys for the wheelchair/ecvs. The height of the step also makes a difference.
I have never had someone walk up the ramp while I was being loaded other than rest of my party. Know one driver wouldn’t let someone having trouble walking use the ramp because of no railings to hold onto up ramp

When my dad ended up having those issues we simply avoided the buses. Unfortunately for those with mobility issues that don't require a scooter or wheelchair, they are going to be considered able bodied and able to stand. Even if that is not strictly the case. My dad's last trip we stayed at the Swan. Used the boats to get to Epcot and the Disney Studios, and even then used a taxi a few times, just to be sure dad got a seat. If, God willing, he can make another trip he will definitely be using a scooter.

At some point you have to be your own advocate. It stinks to have an added expense, but if someone truly can't stand while waiting for a bus, or on the bus then maybe a taxi/uber or rental car is the way to go.

Disagree. What if there are no chairs in line, people who are in line have been waiting for 30 minutes. The bus pulls up and as it's moving into the load zone, a party using an ECV pulls up with 6 other people, in the "seperate line". So, they should be allowed to board before all the guests who have waited for 30 minutes? And now the 7 people who have already waited 30 minutes won't be able to board because the ECV group displaced them, after waiting in line. They have to wait potentially another 30 minutes while the person and the group with the ECV didn't wait at all? Nope.
Yes, because the next bus may arrive with the ECV spaces filled (especially multi stop routes) and so they have to wait for the next bus, our record was 5 buses in one morning at OKW, luckily that morning there was a CM monitoring the bus stop, saw what happened, called an empty bus to come straight to the stop we were at and gave us a whole bunch of essentially lightning lane passes and set them to not expire until the end of our trip.

Another time we were on a bus and it got fully loaded, the back door refused to close and prevented the bus from being able to go into gear, they were easily able to unload other passengers and get them on a other bus quickly. But as it turned out, the reason the door refused to close was there was an issue with the ramp wouldn't fully close (it was almost closed, but not enough to hit the sensors for everything), then it wouldn't open it, they even tried to manually open it. We were at magic Kingdom and they eventually went over to the monorail station and borrowed a ramp to get us off about 45 minutes later than everyone else getting off the bus. There were managers, etc. there and barely an apology from the managers, the bus driver did everything he could and was very apologetic. As I recall we talked to the front desk and got some credit and such, but if we didn't think to say anything to the front desk there wouldn't have been anything offered to compensate for the issue.

This is why mobility devices should get priority over other people waiting, as it helps balance this type of stuff out when there isn't a cast member there that can solve it.

Last edited:
When my dad ended up having those issues we simply avoided the buses. Unfortunately for those with mobility issues that don't require a scooter or wheelchair, they are going to be considered able bodied and able to stand. Even if that is not strictly the case.
That’s not right, what if that person has a “visible sign” (a cane, a limp when they walk) that standing on the bus really isn’t a wise choice?

I have never had someone walk up the ramp while I was being loaded other than rest of my party. Know one driver wouldn’t let someone having trouble walking use the ramp because of no railings to hold onto up ramp
You absolutely.can walk up the ramp if you can't step up, you just have to let the bus driver know you need to use the ramp.

That’s not right, what if that person has a “visible sign” (a cane, a limp when they walk) that standing on the bus really isn’t a wise choice?
You are quite correct, when DH didn't need an ECV, he would often just wait for the next bus if it was standing room only because he knew he would fall if he didn't, not hard to do. And by the way, you can ask any CM near the bus loading areas for a loaner wheelchair and they will bring you one, you still have to wait in line since you aren't taking it on the bus (and yes they are marked as loaner chairs), but provides you a place to sit while waiting. Yeah, it means you are waiting for one extra bus so you can have a seat, it better than the 5 that mobility devices have to wait for sometimes. And this way you can sit in seats that aren't for those in mobility devices, everyone wins.

When my dad ended up having those issues we simply avoided the buses. Unfortunately for those with mobility issues that don't require a scooter or wheelchair, they are going to be considered able bodied and able to stand. Even if that is not strictly the case. My dad's last trip we stayed at the Swan. Used the boats to get to Epcot and the Disney Studios, and even then used a taxi a few times, just to be sure dad got a seat. If, God willing, he can make another trip he will definitely be using a scooter.

At some point you have to be your own advocate. It stinks to have an added expense, but if someone truly can't stand while waiting for a bus, or on the bus then maybe a taxi/uber or rental car is the way to go.
my son passed away just as Uber became a ”thing” and we had a really hard time with busses…he had poor stability and autism and needed a seat but didnt necessarily look disabled and even when we were first ones at bus stop as soon as a bus would appear people would rush up and literally push in front of us and i had difficulty with getting him on a bus with a crush of people causing him to balk. Usually we had to wait for multiple busses in order for him to get a seat. Finally we started relying on Mears taxis and no longer stayed at POFQ which I preferred due to its small size. We than stayed mostly at WL (guests there just seemed more gentle and aware he was disabled. We also started staying at the Poly and used the monorail.

For those who can, fair or not, it seems like driving yourself or taking a taxi/Lyft/Uber makes a lot more sense than trying to fight it out on the buses.

I have talked a lot about my husband’s struggles with panic attacks. There are certain “costs” to travel that we just accept now. Eg. he HAS to be on the aisle and HAS to have extra legroom. These are nonnegotiables for him. So I have bought business class tickets when we couldn’t get him an aisle seat in coach for whatever reason. Recently I bought business class because we were going to take a regional jet and he doesn’t do well in small planes. I also bought one for an overnight flight this summer (our only option - usually I do everything I can to avoid night flights for him even if it means paying for another night in the hotel). Does it cost more? Absolutely! But if it makes him a little more comfortable or gives him the best chance at success I think that it’s worth it.

I've been that person. And if I am standing in line the assumption is that I am able to stand on the bus. If I felt unsafe to stand (which has happened) then I would wait for the next bus. You could say it isn't wise for children, pregnant women, older people to stand either. Now half the people on the bus shouldn't stand.

Now how mobile I or whoever I am traveling with is, is part of what I factor in when I book a trip to Disney World. The boardwalk area resorts are great because the boats are easier to deal with than the buses. As are the skyliner resorts. Both areas get you off of the buses for 2 of the 4 parks. I also use taxis/minnie vans if needed to limit some hassle. I know I don't enjoy spending the extra money, but with how much is spent on a Disney trip it isn't that much added expense.

I've been that person. And if I am standing in line the assumption is that I am able to stand on the bus. If I felt unsafe to stand (which has happened) then I would wait for the next bus. You could say it isn't wise for children, pregnant women, older people to stand either. Now half the people on the bus shouldn't stand.

Now how mobile I or whoever I am traveling with is, is part of what I factor in when I book a trip to Disney World. The boardwalk area resorts are great because the boats are easier to deal with than the buses. As are the skyliner resorts. Both areas get you off of the buses for 2 of the 4 parks. I also use taxis/minnie vans if needed to limit some hassle. I know I don't enjoy spending the extra money, but with how much is spent on a Disney trip it isn't that much added expense.
Honestly, many cities are now prohibiting standing on busses at all for safety reasons, perhaps Disney needs to follow suit and then get more buses and/or additional modes of transportation.

Honestly, many cities are now prohibiting standing on busses at all for safety reasons, perhaps Disney needs to follow suit and then get more buses and/or additional modes of transportation.
Sure. Do you have any idea how much one of those busses cost? And beyond that, Disney can barely find people to drive the busses in their current fleet, nevermind the literally hundred(s) they would probably need to purchase so no one stands. And then the traffic - whole 'nother issue. The bus areas are not designed to accommodate that many additional busses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter