MK Bus wheelchair/ECV at closing

Which cities?
Several in Southern California have and others have very strong restrictions on standing, especially on transit buses that do not charge money, for example the Long Beach Passport busses no longer allow standing. Last I heard, much of Orange County (California) doesn't allow standing either.

Several in Southern California have and others have very strong restrictions on standing, especially on transit buses that do not charge money, for example the Long Beach Passport busses no longer allow standing. Last I heard, much of Orange County (California) doesn't allow standing either.
All busses in Orange County CA allow standing, just not in the stairwells. Restrictions are not prohibitions.

Sure. Do you have any idea how much one of those busses cost? And beyond that, Disney can barely find people to drive the busses in their current fleet, nevermind the literally hundred(s) they would probably need to purchase so no one stands. And then the traffic - whole 'nother issue. The bus areas are not designed to accommodate that many additional busses.
Let’s not forget how long the Skyliner took.
They should just develop a practical mass teleportation system.
It basically is a mass transit system.
IMG_8138.png

All busses in Orange County CA allow standing, just not in the stairwells. Restrictions are not prohibitions.
They were not allowing it the last time I was on them, but admittedly that was a while back and during COVID, so it may have been related to that, but it still proved it CAN be done.

They were not allowing it the last time I was on them, but admittedly that was a while back and during COVID, so it may have been related to that, but it still proved it CAN be done.
For a short period, in one small place, during a pandemic when travel patterns were entirely different. But, sure, let's turn that into "many cities are now prohibiting standing on busses at all for safety reasons"

Disagree. What if there are no chairs in line, people who are in line have been waiting for 30 minutes. The bus pulls up and as it's moving into the load zone, a party using an ECV pulls up with 6 other people, in the "seperate line". So, they should be allowed to board before all the guests who have waited for 30 minutes? And now the 7 people who have already waited 30 minutes won't be able to board because the ECV group displaced them, after waiting in line. They have to wait potentially another 30 minutes while the person and the group with the ECV didn't wait at all? Nope.
Did you forget about the 3rd chair that arrived before half of the people but still won’t get to board and will have to watch all the people who arrived after them board, and wait 30 minutes for the next bus. I’m sure when you don’t have a chair you let the time the chair went in front of you. You don’t remember all the times the chair got left because it was the 3rd chair.

Did you forget about the 3rd chair that arrived before half of the people but still won’t get to board and will have to watch all the people who arrived after them board, and wait 30 minutes for the next bus. I’m sure when you don’t have a chair you let the time the chair went in front of you. You don’t remember all the times the chair got left because it was the 3rd chair.
I am unsure why you keep insisting wheelchair users are incapable of waiting for the next bus.

Well, if there‘s a downpour outside, and there’s NO shelter AND the person is either in a scooter or powerchair, they can’t get it wet.
Well, they wouldn't be able to get it wet in the parks either sooooo. Probably would be a lot more spots on the bus tho since I doubt a lot of ppl (able-bodied or not) are gonna be eager to get soaked in said downpour.

MK at closing time is a pretty specific scenario. A lot of discussion on this thread has strayed off into general bus issues that don't necessarily apply. While there are several different scenarios that can happen with buses at WDW, some of which could well be in need of adjusted protocols, but MK at closing time is pretty cut-and-dried:
  • everybody joins the main queue until reaching the pull-out for mobility devices
  • mobility devices are granted priority boarding when a bus pulls up and load onto an empty bus
  • WDW does not restrict standees
  • the MK resort bus stops are sheltered
The bus stops at other parks may be different (though I think all are designed similarly and queues are managed basically the same at park-close). Park bus stops during other times of day may be managed differently. Resort bus stops are different. Bus stops and rules in other cities don't necessarily apply to WDW parks in FL.

ADA accommodations have never been intended to "make up" for other challenges faced by the disabled. That is a common misconception, often argued by those who feel they deserve a "better" or "preferred" accommodation. It is a here-and-now situation, taking into consideration safety of all passengers as well as maintaining operations. Every guest needs to pack their patience when using bus (or boat or monorail or skyliner) transportation at park closing.

I am unsure why you keep insisting wheelchair users are incapable of waiting for the next bus.

Because there are only 2 spots on a bus for them.

You know how it would really be fair? If a person on a scooter was waiting first, and there wasn't a spot for them, then the bus let no one on. Period. But that isn't what happens. Scooter users have very few spots for them. Only makes sense to have them fill them if they are available.

You know how it would really be fair? If a person on a scooter was waiting first, and there wasn't a spot for them, then the bus let no one on. Period. But that isn't what happens. Scooter users have very few spots for them. Only makes sense to have them fill them if they are available.
What you want is to have ppl on wheelchairs and ecvs to have priority access to transportation because what? They have mobility issues? So even if someone else on the bus line has been waiting for longer than them they should wait longer because they are able-bodied? Or even if they are not able-bodied, they simply don't have a mobility device?

Sorry but no. Priority boarding sure, it's easier for everyone if wheelchairs and ecvs board first. But we will have to agree to disagree on priority access.

I want to make sure I understand...if there are three scooters/wheelchairs in line, and they got there first, and there are 35 other people standing in line, the bus should leave with two scooters/wheelchairs and leave the other 35 people standing there? Is that seriously what you're saying?

If so, nothing wasteful about that at all...nothing that would cause even more price increases...

Actually, depending on the ratio of guests using a mobility device that needs the wheelchair/ECV space and those that are ambulatory, this would not be fair at all. Of course, this does depend on the scenario. For example, closing at MK -
how many people fit on one bus? Let's say 70, using standing room. There are 200 people in the queue, including 3 needing the W/ECV spaces. 67% of the W/ECV get on. (2/3) Let's say they don't have anyone else with them. There's room for 68 more people. There are 197 people standing in the queue. 68/197 = 35%.

Now, if there is a scooter at the stop first, the bus shows up and there's no space for the scooter, then I agree that the bus should just roll on by and call for another bus to come. But there's no way for the bus driver to tell who got there first, unless there's an accessible queue being used.

Actually, depending on the ratio of guests using a mobility device that needs the wheelchair/ECV space and those that are ambulatory, this would not be fair at all. Of course, this does depend on the scenario. For example, closing at MK -
how many people fit on one bus? Let's say 70, using standing room. There are 200 people in the queue, including 3 needing the W/ECV spaces. 67% of the W/ECV get on. (2/3) Let's say they don't have anyone else with them. There's room for 68 more people. There are 197 people standing in the queue. 68/197 = 35%.

Now, if there is a scooter at the stop first, the bus shows up and there's no space for the scooter, then I agree that the bus should just roll on by and call for another bus to come. But there's no way for the bus driver to tell who got there first, unless there's an accessible queue being used.

I was being deliberately idiotic. People always try to make the bus service fair and equal. Trying to point out the only way to do that would be truly idiotic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter