Move to refillable toiletries

Maggie'sMom

DIS Veteran
In the thread on changes to straws on the ships, a poster linked to this: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nmental-commitment-by-reducing-plastic-waste/

I found this statement interesting: "In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent."

I knew they were making, or had made, the transition at the WDW hotels. But apparently it's coming to the ships too. I personally don't mind the large, refillable bottles, but I know a lot of people do.

In the thread on changes to straws on the ships, a poster linked to this: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nmental-commitment-by-reducing-plastic-waste/

I found this statement interesting: "In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent."

I knew they were making, or had made, the transition at the WDW hotels. But apparently it's coming to the ships too. I personally don't mind the large, refillable bottles, but I know a lot of people do.

They already do this in the gym locker room showers. I would think the only concern with the showers in the cabins, is that they are pretty small. You would want to make sure and install those dispensers in a way where no one could get injured. Would they work in the cabins that have the round tub?

They already do this in the gym locker room showers. I would think the only concern with the showers in the cabins, is that they are pretty small. You would want to make sure and install those dispensers in a way where no one could get injured. Would they work in the cabins that have the round tub?

Yep. I did wonder where they could put them with the showers being so small. I can almost guarantee I'll manage to give myself a few bruises on them.

In addition to reducing plastic waste, I'm betting Disney was tired of supplying an endless number of small bottles that people just took home with them.

I may or may not have been guilty of this. :rolleyes1

As long as H2O Plus still sells the stuff online, I'll survive. :-)

Last edited:
I haven't stayed at a Disney hotel in nearly 20 yrs, so not sure exactly what the dispenser look like or how they work. However, I have to admit that my first thought was if they put these in the ships, instead of snagging all the little bottles of shampoo and conditioner I can now bring huge bottles from home and fill them up!!:D That wouldn't be such a bad thing!! Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that.:rolleyes1

In addition to reducing plastic waste, I'm betting Disney was tired of supplying an endless number small bottles that people just took home with them.

I think that's the real reason. Disney just wants to put a conservation spin on it so it sounds better than doing it to save money.

Last edited:
It would presumably save stateroom host time too. Instead of having to check and replace small bottles twice a day they would only have to refill the dispenser once a cruise or so.

Hmmmm....... I agree the showers are so darn small, then adding these dispensers :sad2:

I'm not a fan of those dispensers.
I already bring my own body wash when we travel, guess I will have to start carrying my shampoo too.

I don't use those dispensers either. I remember seeing them in some hotels and I believe in our RCL and NCL cruise. I already bring small bottles of extra shampoo/conditioners/body wash in case we run out, but now I have to bring full size bottles. It's difficult enough to fit what we need to pack, this will just add to the weight.

I'd be very disappointed since it's these little things that I feel DCL provides that doesn't cheapen the experience.

I would hope that if it was about conservation, then perhaps they could place larger containers and replace them every 4 or 5 days depending on the number of people in the stateroom. I would be even fine with NEW bottles attached so that guests can't remove them and take them home...as long as it's completely replaced after each cruise.

My first thought was that on a boat, wall mounted dispensers make sense because in rough water they won't get knocked everywhere. But that's my brain going to being on a 40 foot fishing boat crashing through a head sea, not a giant cruise ship where in most cases you can barely feel the rocking and no one bothers to make things shipshape. I've been in luxury eco-conscious resorts that do this even with their fancy brand amenities, so I wouldn't be surprised if DCL Concierge does the same. Wouldn't bother me personally as I never take hotel toiletries with me unless I have onward travel to non-hotel lodging like an AirBnB.

In addition to reducing plastic waste, I'm betting Disney was tired of supplying an endless number small bottles that people just took home with them.

I plead guilty to taking lots of Blushing Orange products home charges. :oops:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter