• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Move to refillable toiletries

Like others have said, the only really sad part about this is that it does seem like a neat little perk that DCL gives us as part of the premium we pay to sail DCL, so to take it away ... well it's a little like when they doubled up on shows and suggested it was about "choice" for us. Meh. I don't think anyone will be surprised if/when this happens, but it will still be a tad disappointing.

I'm disappointed in this as well...we own DVC and I fear it'll be coming there as well. I love having the bottles to take home, and also prefer to have my toiletries be 'new' vs. pump style.

On the 'good' side, from what I've read on the resort boards here, the refillable pumps at the value resorts at Disney are giant bottles of H2O plus, the marine series--so I'd at least expect the same type of product. DH was joking (I think) about bringing empty bottles to put some product in to bring home...

I don't use those dispensers either. I remember seeing them in some hotels and I believe in our RCL and NCL cruise. I already bring small bottles of extra shampoo/conditioners/body wash in case we run out, but now I have to bring full size bottles. It's difficult enough to fit what we need to pack, this will just add to the weight.

I'd be very disappointed since it's these little things that I feel DCL provides that doesn't cheapen the experience.

I would hope that if it was about conservation, then perhaps they could place larger containers and replace them every 4 or 5 days depending on the number of people in the stateroom. I would be even fine with NEW bottles attached so that guests can't remove them and take them home...as long as it's completely replaced after each cruise.

I hate packing these kinds of things when we fly to a port. I have a hard enough time fitting things as it is.
We usually arrive at least a day before the cruise, so we hit a drug store or Target( if nearby) and buy our body wash, mouthwash, etc.

It would presumably save stateroom host time too. Instead of having to check and replace small bottles twice a day they would only have to refill the dispenser once a cruise or so.

I would think that it would be more of a hassle to refill and then wipe down the mess one often makes when refilling bottles, than just popping a couple more bottles into the bathroom. But who knows? :cutie:

I hate packing these kinds of things when we fly to a port. I have a hard enough time fitting things as it is.
We usually arrive at least a day before the cruise, so we hit a drug store or Target( if nearby) and buy our body wash, mouthwash, etc.

Yes! And I cannot COUNT the number of times my shampoo (travel sized) container or exfoliating wash has leaked during travel and what a MESS!! BLEH! (and yes, I double check the tightness of the caps before packing. LOL) :crazy2:

Just curious, do you use a bleach wipe in restrooms (like a public one, or one at a restaurant) on the hand soap dispenser before using it?
No, I wash my hands after using the toilet and touching the soap dispenser so anything on my hands from touching the soap dispenser have been removed. I then open the door with a paper towel.
It's not that I would be touching the soap dispenser, it's that others have been showering in there and I don't want to inhale anything that was on their hands and is now being aerosoled from the humidity while I'm in that shower stall, for example e coli. I have a long list of things I do before I can relax in a hotel room or cruise cabin that I won't bore you with. It's become a habit that my family is well familiar with and they just step back and let me do my thing. I don't know if you noticed my profession. I am never really off duty.

I wonder how this will affect lotion and handsoap. Do we not get those? I like a bar of soap to wash my hands in the stateroom. I've always found it weird that they don't have soap at the sink.

I wonder how this will affect lotion and handsoap. Do we not get those? I like a bar of soap to wash my hands in the stateroom. I've always found it weird that they don't have soap at the sink.

I always bring my own hand soap since we don't use bars of soap. But I hope they leave the lotion alone...otherwise, I will have to bring that as well...

I would think that it would be more of a hassle to refill and then wipe down the mess one often makes when refilling bottles, than just popping a couple more bottles into the bathroom. But who knows? :cutie:

I agree. But I think the assumption would be that if they have these large dispensers, they don't have to fill it each time...perhaps every other day or so. Although...they shouldn't rely on this. There may even be more waste with the dispenser....especially from children who would think it's fun to press it several times and end up with a lot of soap on them.

here may even be more waste with the dispenser....especially from children who would think it's fun to press it several times and end up with a lot of soap on them.

:rotfl2:As a mom to a bunch of kids, I got an INSTANT visual when I read that!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

And as PP have said, there may be those filling their own bottles brought from home! :rotfl:

Royal Caribbean uses the wall dispensers and their showers are tiny. Even tinier than DCL showers.
I've yet to experience a cruise ship shower that I can call "spacious". With that said, Royal's are smaller and definitely feel smaller, in part because it's completely enclosed vs having a shower curtain.

I still don't know exactly what's in those dispensers though.

We treasure the little toiletry bottles from our Disney visits. I guess I now have to make room for a dispenser from each Disney location. It's good we drive rather than fly.
lol. Underrated comment right there.

They provide bar soap on RCCL and HAL and pretty much any other place I've been that has the wall dispensers. I'd expect Disney would do the same.

but I know a lot of people do.
That's the group I'm in. It just feels "cheap". Bringing the vacation experience (be it on land or sea) down to a locker room feel.

Plus, with the small, individual, bottles, I'm not as "icked" out about someone else using "my" soap/lotion.

I've also found the refillable container on other lines to hold watered down (read that as ineffectual) product.

I want to, because I’d prefer to be certain that I have the stuff I want to use. The DCL stuff is excellent... but I don’t really travel on DCL, or stay at the resorts, and so my stash is all used up.

I’ve found that the more viscous shampoos and body washes tend not to leak everywhere, so that’s what I bring with me. It can still leak a bit but when packed in a zip top bag I can prevent disaster from happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter