MVMCP, worth it?

timsueshd

Julie the Cruise Director
Is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party worth it?

We (2 adults, 13 yr old boy), are planning on visiting the week after Thanksgiving and have limited time to spend in Disney (approx. 3 days). Based on last years dates, the only date we could do the party is Tuesday, November 27, 2018.

I have read some reviews that say if MVMCP is sold it, it is very busy and not worth it. Looks like in 2017, this date did sell out on the day of the party. I have also read, that if you stay away from Main Street, see the 2nd shows and/or parades and stay until midnight, it isn't too bad.

I know I don't have to make this decision now, but I am a planner and are trying to budget.

Thank you.

You are going to get answers telling you yeas and no. We liked it and have been 2 times. The first time was sold out (2012) and it was still great. Saw all the shows and took in the atmosphere. We skipped rides due to relatively long lines and we'd already been to MK 2x that week. I'd say go.

IMO, no. The price is very high for the number of people in the parks. Waits were higher in 2017 than in years past. The treats were a lot better, but both character and ride waits were drastically increased. We did two parties (Sunday and Tuesday) and both were NUTS.

I've never gone, so I can't speak from experience. But being very budget oriented, the reason we haven't gone is budget. It's something like $100/person. For a family of 5, that's $500. Sorry, but there's nothing there that's so special that I'm going to spend that kind of coin. That's just tightwad me.

We are going the same week you are (tues - Saturday with 5 park days), but our traveling party will be 2 adults and one 5yo child. I will tell you my thought process if it helps you out. Our 5 year old will not make it until midnight meaning if we went to the party we would be leaving early, so not really getting our money worth of it. My husband and DD will have AP's and i will have a park hopper so - on the party days we will take advantage of the lower crowds during the day and then hop to another park for the evening. On the non party days it is suggested to stay away from MK because it will be crowded - so on these days we will go elsewhere during the day and will try to go back to MK to see the evening fireworks -- to combat the crowds we are considering booking the HEA the dessert party.

So you could take that money slotted for the MVMCP and put that towards park hoppers (not sure if you were already planning on hoppers or not) to have a little more freedom and with the extra $$ spring for a dessert party on a non-party night -- it think the cost to upgrade to a hopper from a base 3 day tix and the HEA dessert party would be about the same as you paying for the MVMCP.

As you have seen already by some of the replies, some people really enjoy the parties & some people do not.
We are big fans & always get a kick out of them, yes they are expensive but we feel it's money well spent.

You're going to get people on both sides. Personally, I love the Christmas party. It is on the pricey side but if your budget can handle it, I think it's worth it. You can enter at 4 with the ticket so you get a solid eight hours in the park, they've varied the free treats you get so it's not just sugar cookies, and I just really love the atmosphere. That's enough for me, but it isn't for others.

If it helps, Tuesdays tend to be more manageable crowd-wise (in my opinion). I was at a sold out Tuesday party last year and it wasn't overwhelming. During the second parade Dwarves had a twenty-five minute wait that was more like fifteen minutes from getting on line to exit.

I am curious about this, too. My DH and I will be there December 16-20 this year. We have never done a Christmas party, but we love the Halloween party. The last couple of times we went around Christmas, they showed Holiday Wishes and the Christmas parade after the last Christmas party, so we were able to enjoy those with a regular park ticket. From what I hear now, they show HEA instead of Holiday Wishes, and I'm not happy about that (not interested in seeing HEA again!). Not sure about the parade. Does that still occur after the last party? Of course, it doesn't matter for us because our dates this year don't fall after the last party. My question is do I spend that kind of money just to see the special fireworks and/or parade? It's a tough decision.

I think it really depends on what your objectives are. If you are mainly interested in rides, I would just do a regular park day in MK. I wouldn't even do MVMCP for the parade or fireworks. If you are interested in rare characters, then, yes, do it as it's the only time you could!

We've done it twice now and, while I like the parade, Holiday Wishes just doesn't compare to HEA at this point. I would much rather do a regular day and see HEA instead. I'm with the PP above who said they prefer MNSSHP over MVMCP. MNSSHP is SO fun. I think the atmosphere is more festive and the parade and fireworks are better.

I tend to think everyone should try both MNSSHP and MVMCP at least once. You may ultimately decide it's not worth it, but better to experience it for yourself so you can make that determination. And just maybe you end up having a blast trying it out! :goodvibes

We went 12/19. It was crowded and chaotic with long lines for everything. It was extremely disappointing and we won’t go back.

I agree that everyone should do it once. I've been 4x--twice it was PACKED and miserable. 45 minute waits to get a fountain drink, VERY limited CS food options - and BTW, I've never been during peak season....

The cocoa is watery instant version and the cookies are straight out of the box. Nothing special there....

For ME, the price is no longer worth it but YMMV....

I've been twice and wish I only did it once. Lately they they all sell out and I've heard they sell more tickets than they used to. I would say go once and since they increase the price every year I vote for the sooner the better.

I went with my DD13, my best friend and her DD11 on Sunday 11/12. Entered just after 4pm. Had booked 2FPs at about 30ish days out.. 4:00-5:00 SM and 5:00-6:00 PP. After that we rode Dumbo, Haunted Mansion, BTMRR, had Dole whips and hot dogs, POTC, 7DMT (posted 25 min wait just before the first parade — it only took 20 minutes total). Free snacks — chocolate milk and sugar cookies. People Mover, girls rode Space again, then off to find a spot on the bridge between Tomorrowland and the hub for fireworks 15 min before they were scheduled to go off. Got to sit on the little benches so that was awesome! After the fireworks, we noticed a 5 minute wait on MDE for BTMRR so muscled through the hub and took another spin on that. Then back to Main Street for the parade. Left the party after that 11:30ish. This was my 2nd MVMCP and everyone else’s first. We had a blast — low crowds, low waits (though we met no characters as the girls aren’t into it). And the ambiance is just so overwhelmingly awesome! A great way to kick off the holiday season! If your party can make it until the end of the party, I say go for it, to us it is so worth it!

We went in early December 2016 on a Sunday. It was the best day of my life and I have traveled all over the world. We got to MK at 3:15 and were let in at 3:45 after the parade. I had FP+ for 3 rides. After the park closed to non ticket holders we went on many many rides with no waits. During the fireworks ( we have been to MK many times) we went on 7DM no waiting and Peter Pan had about a 15 minute wait. The parade was the best part of the night. It was fabulous. As said above the ambiance is overwhelming.... I would go again and next time probably twice on the same vacation. We were two adults and one 7 year old boy. We stayed until closing time. We found that there were many guests but spread out in the park. We did not consume any drinks or food due to allergies.

We love it! We are 3 adults with no kids and have been a number of times. We are planning to go again in November.

We've been twice and enjoyed it both times. It's definitely not a must for us though. Now the Halloween party is a different story. LOVE it.

We also love it! Went 17th and 22nd of December and so glad did it twice, also did the Fireworks dessert party on 17th which made it even better! Only two adults so price not too bad for us, loved the parade, fireworks and stage show, didn’t bother with the cookies etc the second time .
I think you have to make your own mind up, I never imagined we would like it as much as we did and I am dying to go back, just love the Christmas atmosphere!

Love it. 2 kids, 2 adults. We enter at 4, do rides with fp's until 7. We catch the parade and fireworks and enjoy the festive treats. We ride a lot of rides with little to no wait after 7. My kids aren't into the characters so much, although we may see 1 or 2 during the party if the want, but that's not the draw for us. Love the festive mood!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter