• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my confidence just took a nosedive

AngieBelle

<font color=#FF0066>Future Belle on Broadway<br><f
There's a new post in the guestbook of my website from someone who looked over my whole site. He told me that based on the song clips I have that although my voice is perfect for community theatre, I'm not good enough for the big stuff...that maybe I should rethink my goals...that I'm setting myself up for a big let down. *cry* I know the person meant well and that those outdated voice clips are hardly an example of my very best work, but after getting so much praise from most people, having someone tell me I'm just average is crushing. :(
It reminds me of a sign that was on the wall in my high school theatre teacher's classroom. "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great."

Now I almost don't even want to try for that Disney opencall in May...though honestly, I couldn't give up on theatre even if I wanted to. There's nothing else I can do or have any desire to do. I'm scared....I'm really, genuinely scared...

Don't worry Angiebelle, there's a critic in every bunch that just doesn't like anything. You have to realize that while he may say you are not good enough for the 'big stuff', big stuff to him may mean something completely different than the goals that you have set for yourself.

Don't let a single naysayer get you down. It could even be a troll.

Don't worry about it, keep your head high.

I was just thinking what Jeff said. Could totally be a troll. And that big time to you and big time to him (her? it?) could be 180 degrees apart.

Please PLEASE do not let one nimrod shake you from what you have been wanting for so long.

Don't you dare back out of the tryout! This is only one person's opinion and, frankly, right now, it is not the one that counts!

I am sure that throughout your professional career you are going to encounter people who tell you to pack it in because you'll never make. Just put their little comments in the back of your mind and when you do make it, remember them and beam a beautiful smile! :)

Angie! Youre wonderful!!!!

Please dont let one person get you down!!

This is your dream dont let you someone tellyou youre not good enough for your dreams!!!

Its ok to be scared That just shows how much you want it :)

so you're just going to give up because ONE ANONYMOUS person criticized you? You'll learn, as you get older, that everyone isn't going to like you. Concentrate on the many that tell you that you can do it, not on the one that tells you you can't.

Remember this saying - What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Angie, there isn't much more than what has already been said. Do not let one little person bring you down. Who knows, maybe they were jealous of you and wanted to try to bring down the competition to make them feel better... at any rate, I wouldn't take it to heart and I would ignore them! I have heard your clips and you are great! Try out in May and enjoy doing what you love most :)

Excuse-me but I just read the message and what would make anyone think that you don't stand a chance with Disney? You don't know if you don't try and if it doesn't work out then you go to something else, but you try first. So Angie, keep your chin up , charge yourself to do the best you can and do the audition.

Angie, you have picked the wrong business if one person telling you that you aren't good enough will upset you.
Who in their right mind would be able to make an educated appraisal from voice clips anyway?
Lots of big time stars have been told they weren't good enough.

Find your spine and say who in the **** cares about his opinion anyway and go do your best to knock their socks off. {{{hugs}}} :)

If I had listened to the nuns in HS, I wouldn't even be singing/acting today. They all said I wasn't good enough for their little Musicales and Variety Shows and they kept picking the same two girls every time!

In my Senior Year, I listened to what many people had said and tried out for the Lions Club Awards at my school. I won 1st place in vocal up against those two girls that had gotten every singing role my school had available. Finally, someone outside of my school had recognized my talent.

If I had listened to those nuns, I wouldn't have had the courage to get involved in community theatre and, believe you me, community theatre in this area (Tampa Bay area), it's HIGHLY competitive and filled with wonderful talent!

Please, Please, Please don't let this one person get you down. My mantra has always been

YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN, IF YOU DON'T EVEN TRY!

It will hurt more by NOT trying out than if you had tried out and didn't make it! And, you always learn something and meet people the more exposure you have.

GO FOR IT!!!!

VAL (Mama Rose)

I'm sorry someone posted something hurtful on your website. I wouldn't let that stop you from pursuing your dream.

HOWEVER, this statement concerns me.
There's nothing else I can do or have any desire to do.
It's great to have a dream, but I do believe you need a fall back career. There are millions of people trying to break into showbiz. I'm not saying there's a possiblity you will make it, but there is a huge possibility that you won't make it. You need to have an alternative plan. When you graduate from college, you need a degree in something else so you can acutally have a career while pursing your dream.

Best of luck to you in pursuit of your dream.

Angela, I am going to speak very frankly to you.

I know a lot of people who majored in theater. I know several who graduated from top notch theater schools like the University of Miami.

some of them are now Equity or SAG members and are working in the arts. some of them, with excellent credentials and lots of talent and enthusiasm, are working elsewhere.

you have to be realistic here.

several things to contemplate:

1. even if you are talented and enthusiastic, there are a lot of other people equally talented and enthusiatic. working in the atheater is as much about luck and the right connections as it is about talent and ability.

2. if one unknown critic can shake your confidence this much, how will you react when you go to auditions and aren't selected? most people become "overnight sensations" only after years of rejection at auditions and being unable to get cast in anything.

3. always have a back up plan. give yourself time to pursue the dream, but be realistic. what if it doesn't happen? you're going down to Disney soon, and you're going to try to get cast in their shows. what if it doesn't happen? are you going to spend the rest of your life working at WDW and dreaming of what might have been? develop a back up plan for the "what ifs" and you won't be so scared.

4. I'm not in a position to tell you whether you've got the talent to succeed. but you need to examine yourself objectively to see where your strengths are.

I wish you luck in pursuing the dream, but the theater world is a very tough business. you need to consider your optiions.

Angiebelle, I don't know you from Adam (hey, that's me) but it is not worth it to let one critic rent space in your head. I have never heard you sing but your tag says (Sings like an angel) and after what the tag Fairies did to me the other night (duct tape, slime, aircraft...you don't want to know) I BELIEVE them so you have nothing to worry about. The sky's the limit kid!!!!

Adam aka Big Dude

:D
Cheer up girl!
You said it yourself, those song clips are old. I've heard you sing in person, seen video of your acting and I know you can do it, if you want it enough.... and I believe you do!!
Hang in there, it's MY DREAM to see YOU on Broadway some day!

Angie~ Don't let that one comment shake your confidence. There will be those that think that you are talented and others that think you are not. In the end, who cares what they think.

You are working hard to achieve your dreams, you have set a path to reach your goals; keep going forward with it. Just remember two words: motivation and perseverence. Go for it, do what you love!:D

Don't give up! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you are entitled to an audition. If you don't try, you'll never know, and that can be worse.

As a musician, I am involved with a variety of "community theaters" as well as professional groups. At the very least, auditions can be a learning experience. Even if you don't get the part, a good auditioner will often give some good advice that may help you the next time.

I haven't checked out your site yet, but will do so in the near future. My best advice is to keep trying and don't get discouraged.

Good luck :D

It's a tough field to break into Angie.

I read over the entry and I don't think the person was trying to be hurtful. Maybe you can take some of that advice and use it to strengthen your weak points -- then you'll be better prepared for those auditions.

Rejection and constructive criticism always hurts and we've all been there.

Good Luck!

Angie,

I agree with what others have said:

1) Don't let one persons bashing you get you down. Some people only get happiness by making others unhappy.

2) If you want to succceed in that business you have to have tougher skin than that because there most likely will be actual rejections. I think just about every actor/actress and singer today has been rejected at one time or another.

3) Be true to yourself.

Good luck with the audition.

Angie, as someone who hasn't ever met you in person, let alone heard you sing in person, I've only heard a couple of your clips on your website. I must say that IMO, even your acapella one to A Dream Is A Wish is better than most of those contestants on American Idol. They didn't give up on their dreams, and they don't have your voice -- just shows even without as much talent as you have, they still got somewhere. Keep trying, sweetie. Don't give up. :)

I've been thinking more about this.

AB, I have a serious question. What ARE your plans if you don't make it? Have you even considered that possibility?

Also, since you are a theater major, what do you professors have to say about your talent?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter