• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my confidence just took a nosedive

It's hard to not take things to heart, especially when they are semi-negetive. I know how it's hard going into the Arts. I wanna be a writer and some days are good, some not so good. Just trust yourself and do not give up on your passion. Critics are critics. Someone WILL love your voice and give you that chance.

Very good words for your situation are from Christina Aguilera:
"I believe they can take anything from me, but they can't succeed in taking my inner peace from me, they can say all they wanna say about me, but i'm gonna carry on, Imma Keep on, Singing My Song!"

I come from a family of talented people.

I live within an hour of NYC, and grew up within an hour of NYC.

I have a mezzo soprano voice that spans 3 ranges.

My mother was a professional singer. She was accepted to juillard right out of high school. She also had a 3 octave range voice without taking a voice lesson in her life.

I will never be a professional singer.

Why?

Great singers are a dime a dozen.

It's a hard fact. It's absolutely true.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't persue your dream, Angie. I think that it's great htat you are. I wish you all the luck in the world.

But the absolute fact is - Showbiz is a cut throat business.

My -dream- is to be on stage. My absolute dream is to act.. to use my talents.

I've learned that I need to use my talents in other ways.

I've been rejected from lead roles of more community theatre productions than I can count.

I get my love of singing fulfilled by being part of an award winning chorus. And you know something? That's enough for me right now.

My mother has always been one to encourage me to spread my wings and soar as high as I possibly can in life. She encouraged me to follow my dreams.

She begged me not to persue showbusiness as a career.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - you -need- to have a backup or you are going to end up waiting a lot of tables. And you might never get that big break.

You might end up like myi friend Barry who always thought he was going to be a professional singer (and yes - he is VERY good) - but now is working a dead end job, and at 42, doesn't know what he wants to do with the rest of his life.

Have a marketable skill. Take some marketing courses. Take some computer classes. Have -something- to fall back on.

Even as you're persuing auditions, you're going to need it.

Trust me.

Angie, the worst thing that you could do is follow thismperson's advice. You would then spend the rest of your lifeasking yourself "what if?". You should persue your dream as long and as hard you you can.
You will always be able to say " I did the absolute best I could in persuit of my dream" and hopefully you'll be able to say "See I told you I could do it!!!!!!!!!".

P.S. good luck with your audition.

Okay, I could finally get to your website and read what was written and, to me, it sounds like this person wasn't trying to be mean, but was trying to nudge you to be realistic about the obstacles you will face. As some posters have implied, he didn't say to give up your dream or not audition.

I've never met you, nor did I listen to the sound on your website (since it might not be the most representative of your talents). I guess the question I have (and you certainly don't owe me or anyone here an answer) is why you chose not to get a minor or second degree despite your parents urging? Are you afraid it will be too easy to give up your dream, if you do?

Regardless, I wish you nothing but happiness and success in all avenues of your life.

Remember that confidence will show in your voice, so be confident and give it your best shot! As my daughter knows all too well, there will be LOTS of turn downs and LOTS of auditions.

Angela - I think that was someone who has a "Simon Cowell" complex! Everyone has an opinion on things like voices that they like & don't like. (Just look at the "American Idol" threads - each of the remaining singers have DISers who think THEY are the best!)
Also remember that many college graduates aren't sure what they're going to do with their lives. Work at Disney for a few years - see what develops!
Break a leg AB!

there are still things I'm learning about you, Mona. I knew you are a singer, but I didn't know your mother sings, too.

Angie, hope you recall what I told you about some of the comments that were on your site from when Ihad that marathon IM session with you years ago. Don't let thoughts like those deter you one bit. Ihave heard you sing, in clips and in person. You have majored in theater in college, you are good. Keep up the good work.

Hugs,

Dan

Angie, what do your singing instuctors/professors say? I know you're a theater major and I'm sure they have opinions. What are they? They're the ones that hear you every day and know what your best is, better than someone listening to a sound bite on a website.

I don't have a minor because there wasn't anything I wanted to minor in. I'm picky. As someone who doesn't want to grow up, it's really hard to find real world jobs I'm interested in. With theatre, you're getting paid to play make believe. I don't mean that it's easy, but I know I could never do a desk job- I'd go mad. I guess the closest thing I have to a back-up plan is that I'm choosing to head to Disney rather than straight to NYC where I'd be eaten alive. Disney has jobs in almost anything you could want to do, so while I'm auditioning, I'll keep an eye out for other opportunities as well. Mom suggested something where I write publicity for Disney.

I'm sorry I'm making such a fuss over that guestbook post- I promise I do eventually get over stuff like that after a few days of feeling crushed. (and now someone from the DIS who didn't even leave a name has added another guestbook post agreeing with the first which really doesn't help...)

Today in my auditioning class, we got feedback from our pretend singing auditions we did last month. Most everybody in the class got constructive criticism, but the teacher said she had only one word for me- "super" She thought I did excellent. Though the praise feels a bit less realizing I'm the only trained singer in that particular class. I also did a solo class when the 3 grad student voice teachers have their students sing for each other and then they work with us. One of them told me if I fixed the problem with focusing my eyes and making specific choices, I'd be very marketable.

I know- now I'm getting defensive...but it's the only way to get out of a slump like this, remind myself of things like how over 4 years ago I made it to the semi-finals of the mid-south fair youth talent contest singing "Think of Me." I was in the top 75 of over 500 acts, and one of the judges even chose me for the finals- the top 10.

and I still am going to try again for a face character role once I lose some weight- that's the only reason I don't quite have the right look. I don't care what those 2 in my guestbook say.

I'm amazed at all the responses I got to my initial post and really appreciate all your support, although I have to admit, much of the advice I'm getting I've heard many times before. Guess we'll see what happens.

Oh, I thought of something else- they do have an animation studio in florida. I'm not good enough to be a real animator but maybe I can still work in the creative process of making a Disney film or maybe Pixar....I dunno...

Angie I have faith in you and don't you lose faith in yourself! I remember a clip I heard you sing once and I thought it was wonderful! I admire you for what you are doing! {{{{HUGS}}}} to you always!

Angie, post your url, I'd love to look at your site. PS DON'T let anyone tell you what you can't do. Remember, it's not about talent, it's about guts, grit and determination. Those that succeed are not the most talented, they are the ones who will work the hardest. If you are willing to work harder than anyone else you can't help but be successful.

You're right, Angie. Going to Disney will at least keep you from going hungry. Even if you do end up with a desk job or waiting tables-- you'll be at Disney and that isn't all bad. :)

Thanks Angie - they shut your site down because too many people are on it. You're very popular today. I'll check back tomorrow.

I'm picky. As someone who doesn't want to grow up, it's really hard to find real world jobs I'm interested in. With theatre, you're getting paid to play make believe. I don't mean that it's easy, but I know I could never do a desk job- I'd go mad.

You are just starting out so it is good to have dreams and goals. But, some of the people who know you better on these boards have also given you advice about being able to face reality. Hopefully, you will be a great success in the theater or some other aspect of performing. But, you might also come to realize your theater work will not support you and you need a "real" job as well. I know two very talented classical musicians who are married to each other. This talented trumpet player who works as a musician quite often in NYC also works days as a UPS driver. I'm sorry I can't recall the woman's name right now but there was a lovely woman who I dealt with on a regular basis. She was the assistant to the head of an advertising agency in NYC. She was also starring on Broadway several nights a week! Over the years, she worked as this man's assistant and auditioned and held small roles. She kept her job even when she was an alternate on Broadway.

Singing and acting are wonderful but there are literally thousands of talented people out there. And often times it isn't even the talented person who gets the break. Go out and pursue your dream but keep your eyes open to what else might interest you. And don't let rejection get you down....it's a big part of the business.

Don't you dare lose confidence in yourself!! Take those negative comments and use them to drive yourself even more. Prove em wrong, Angie. I have never met you or heard you sing, but I have a great feeling about you from the boards. Get ready for those Disney auditions!:bounce:

I am sorry that you are feeling discouraged :(
I really think that person was trying to help you put things in perspective, even if he/she was lacking in tact.

I think it's great to have a dream. I envy you your talent- I would love to be able to sing. Unfortunately, as pointed out by Cindy, BR, and Mona- your dream is to breakthrough probably one of the most competitive field there is.

My cousin is an Opera singer. She's got a voice that literally makes me weep- it's that beautiful. When she sings Ave Maria, its like the Seraphim are singing. She graduated from Julliard and also has a masters in education. She teaches music for a local Catholic school because despite her incredible voice, she hasn't yet made the big time.
She hasn't given up on her dream - she's planning a summer tour with an Opera group to go to London, Switzerland, Germany, France, and Austria this summer. But she was wise enough to realize that she needs to be able to pay the bills while she's pursuing her dream.

I know it's hard to think beyond your dream and face reality, but I really think you need to think of things you would like to do while you are trying to make it in show business. I'm talking things other than writing or trying to work in animation- those jobs are also extremely hard to find. I have won awards for my writing. That and a dollar can buy me a coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

How are your typing skills? Do you have experience with programs like Word, Excel, or Powerpoint? You're going to need a job that will clothe you, feed you, keep a roof over your head, and give you a nest egg in case -god forbid- something happens to you and you can't work for any period of time. Working entry level at Disney during these economic times isn't going to do that for you. You need to have marketable skills to enable you to adapt while you are pursuing your dreams. If you don't have them then I would suggest you get them. Plenty of Community Colleges in FL offer classes in Microsoft programs. Learn them and I bet you'd have no problem getting a customer service job - perhaps even at Disney.

I'm not trying to be mean or tell you to abandon hope. Quite the opposite. I know what it's like to have a dream. I want to be a Historian. But I also know that it's a long hard road to accomplish that goal and things might happen and I might never get there.
I don't like working at a Network Operations Center. Trust me on that. But I have to do what it takes to get to point B from here.

Good luck!

Angie,

I listened to your sound bites this morning. Lovely, just lovely.

I've been involved in professional and community theater since I was 6 and the quality of your voice is just fine for professional musical theater. The one thing that you must remember is that even a perfect voice must also be accompanied by equal or greater stage presence in order to be sucessful.

As others have said, professional theater is difficult at best to break into. There have been many who have tried and few have made it. Luck has a lot to do with it, but confidence and ambition is most of it.

You must, must, must believe in yourself. Know in your heart that you can make whatever part you are trying out for come alive and others will believe in you too.

Hang in there and in the words of Jim Valvano (famous basketball coach) "Don't give up, don't EVER give up".

{{HUGS}}

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter