• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my confidence just took a nosedive

Now...as someone who HAS met you in person and HAS heard you sing - blow the bozo off - he has no clue! And sound clips have a totally different sound than in person!! You have an awesome voice and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished and what you are about to try and accomplish - don't ever let some bozo online tell you different. There are people that KNOW what you can do and you KNOW what you can do!!!!

Keep your head up and blow the bozo off!!!!

Please, this guy watched an episode of American Idol and now thinks he is Simon Cowell. :rolleyes:

AB, don't let that one comment wreck your dreams. My mother was an actress, trust me, if this is the career you wish to pursue you will have to learn to live with the critics. Rejection is as common to actors as rain is to the TV weatherman.

Now toughen up, go do your best at your audition, and most importantly, take one day at a time! Sometimes life hands you lemons, I say go make some lemonade (and knock 'em dead at your audition!)

Hello Angie,
I don't know you, but your note struck a cord with me and I wanted to share the following with you.

My daughter and I happened to be going through my high schoolyearbook two nights ago. Out fell a newspaper article that I clipped and save two years ago. It is about a friend that went off to Hollywood to try his hand in the acting business. He has been successful, has had bit part in "Sex and the City, Providence, over 40 independent films, 10 studio projects, in addition to his television work.he has a couple of small movie parts and appeared with Susan Sarandonand Dustin Hoffman in "Baby's in Black" (I never heard of it though ;-) ) And has worked with Jim Carey.

Here are a couple of blurbs I thought you may like to hear to keep your chin up.
He says, " I belong to an actor's guild, and I've reached a point where I don't have to sweat it out in audition lines. They can be brutal. The competition is incredible, intimidating. In the last screen test, they can usually tell in 20-30 seconds if you have what they want. Rejection can be instantaneous and savage.
"But, of course, the more you do the more confident you get> It's been so long since I've had to get beaten like that. Now I'd probably be too nervous to hold the script."
"But, much depends on luck, timing, and persistence. Persistence, above all. You have to ask yourself: Is this what I really whant to do? And you simply must believe in yourself. If you're fragile and easily discouraged, this is not the business for you."

It is a terrific article and offers a lot of insight to him and the profession. One of the last thing the reporter asks him is," What makes an actor effective?" My friend relies, " Simplify, Don't over act......"
The anwer goes on, but speaks volumns

I hope this has helped a little......sounds like to be in the business ya have to have tough skin and determination no matter what.

Good luck to you.
Jan

There's a bad apple in every bunch, and that's all it is. Don't let it get you down. You know what you can do, and that's what matters. Go to the audition! You owe it to yourself for all your hard work. We'll be here to make sure you do - check in frequently.:D :D :D

AB, can you imagine how disappointed you will be with yourself if you DO NOT try out with Disney? (ALong with a lot of here on the DIS)

You will always meet someone who has different views in what they like and don't lie, don;t let that keep you from giving it your all.

I, personaly, liked the sound bite you sent to me several years ago!

AngieBelle - where is your website - after reading all these nice commments - I'd like to hear your clips. I agree with all the posters who said don't let one critic get you down. Believe in yourself!

In my experience, the people who are the most critical are the ones who don't really know you, but have no problem passing judgment on you, and everyone else probably. I always look to see if there is any truth in the comments - sometimes there is something that can be improved on - but ignore the rest. Only you know what you're truly capable of and only you can prove these people wrong. (Won't it be great to do that?!)

You better not cancel your Disney audition! Of course you need a back-up plan, but you are too young to give up on your dreams. Go for it!

Originally posted by Antonia
AngieBelle - where is your website

Antonia -- go to her post and look at the icons at the end of her post. Along with Profile and PM, there's one that says www -- that's how you can get there. :)

Originally posted by Kissimmee JP
You'll learn, as you get older, that everyone isn't going to like you.

LOL!! Truer words were never spoken!

Angie, you CAN do it!!! Don't let the naysayers bring you down!! Hold on to that dream and GO FOR IT!!!!

Stephen King got an "F" on his first paper in college, and look at him now! OK, well, he's not exactly Shakespeare, but you get my meaning. ;)

Oh goodness...looked like I opened the floodgates here. Maybe I should clarify a little. First- this guy isn't a troll, go read the guestbook. He's just trying to be frank with me. Second- it's not like this is the first time I've ever been critsised! I've been coached in a number of classes. I've auditioned for numorous things and was turned down over 2-3rds of the time, getting cast 9 out of over 30 times. I know all about rejection. I know all about how difficult it is to get into this career. I've been doing community theatre for over 8 years now and am still trying to get past chorus! It's not the one comment that bothers me- it's the whole chain of events that it reminded me of.

Also, I said it *almost* makes me feel like not going to that audition. I didn't say that I wasn't going, only that my confidence was shaken. And if I didn't go to that one, I'm sure I'd go to a future one.

I've been told many times about getting a back up plan...believe me, I know. Mom and dad have suggested marketing or something with my writing skills. But I'm telling the truth that there's nothing else I want to do! Plus, I'm not trained in anything else. I chose not to have a minor or a 2nd major. The only other thing I want to do is perhaps write children's books, and that's just as hard to get into.

But I knew I could count on you all to give me some back up. :) Thanks

AB - Although we have never met in person, I can tell from your posts that you are a winner. I remember your frustration with sewing names into hats at WDW. But you managed to work through your frustration. I've seen the frustration in your posts, but I've also seen the joy when you have a success.

Go for your dreams AB. You will be a success at whatever you try as long as you keep trying and never give up.

Don't let anyone spoil your future.

Follow your dreams & don't give up!

Some pd ****** & (((hugs))) for you!:earsgirl: :wave:

We all go through this and your profession will bring on more!

I remember reading a book by an author who achieved great success on her FIRST book. Of course it was not published by her first choice of houses.

At her party to celebrate, she hung all 47 rejection letters around the apartment to show them!

Save that note, when you hit the big time, you can send them an autographed picture. Don't let anyone tell you how good or bad you are, just do what you love and don't turn back.

There are way too many people who want to put others down, it makes THEM feel better. We love you Angie, you take care...

denise

Hold on to your dream but don't let it destroy what you accomplish. Making the chorus is an accomplishment, there are many that don't even make it that far. If you find any decent job in the theatre you are doing better than most people who want their name in lights. Disney is a great place for that since they have such a large cast and you've already made some connections there.

My 11yo DD was telling me she wanted to try out for star search, she loves to dance and she's had great training but she's not super talented. I asked her about her expections and she said that although she didn't expect to be on top she figured she'd make at least the 1st cut and would enjoy the experience. I don't know if we'll do it or not but I think she's got the right attitude.

Originally posted by Briar Rose 7457
Angela, I am going to speak very frankly to you.

I know a lot of people who majored in theater. I know several who graduated from top notch theater schools like the University of Miami.

some of them are now Equity or SAG members and are working in the arts. some of them, with excellent credentials and lots of talent and enthusiasm, are working elsewhere.

you have to be realistic here.

several things to contemplate:

1. even if you are talented and enthusiastic, there are a lot of other people equally talented and enthusiatic. working in the atheater is as much about luck and the right connections as it is about talent and ability.

2. if one unknown critic can shake your confidence this much, how will you react when you go to auditions and aren't selected? most people become "overnight sensations" only after years of rejection at auditions and being unable to get cast in anything.

3. always have a back up plan. give yourself time to pursue the dream, but be realistic. what if it doesn't happen? you're going down to Disney soon, and you're going to try to get cast in their shows. what if it doesn't happen? are you going to spend the rest of your life working at WDW and dreaming of what might have been? develop a back up plan for the "what ifs" and you won't be so scared.

4. I'm not in a position to tell you whether you've got the talent to succeed. but you need to examine yourself objectively to see where your strengths are.

I wish you luck in pursuing the dream, but the theater world is a very tough business. you need to consider your optiions.

A lot or what BR said is entirely accurate... I was a theater major, had big, great dreams.. well, I realized that I was community theater material and not professional .. so I got out. How to realize that this will be a Hobby, not a career was a long hard road, but entirely realized.

Was it a disappointment? Yes. Did I develop a back up plan? Yes.

Its a very rough business. There will always be someone better than you.. in whatever talent. Showbusiness is so subjective... it could be just the shape of your nose.. that gets you from parts.. or the size of your feet... or the way your eyes are shaped that keeps you from parts...

I can think of many people that were the next best thing, but to be tossed aside later. And to be blunt, criticism is the nature of the beast in this business. You will always have someone say something about you, You need to have very very thick skin, and not be a people pleaser. You also have to realize that there are many many other people that are persuing the same dream... have the same qualifications..

Also another thing to realize is that sometimes expectations needs to be lowered. Not saying that you should shoot high, but also remember everyone "pays their dues " in more ways than one. There will be the stinky parts, the show you didn't really want to do, and the roles that were offered were not exactly "ethical".. (You know what I am talking about here)

This is why I want to do teaching... I will be on stage in front of children every day...

I had a math teacher in high school who was a graduate of the High School of Performing Arts (the "Fame" school). she used her dance talent to run the school's kickline.

I have a friend who wanted to be an actress but realized she didn't have the ability. she majored in communications and business, and wound up working in the management office for one of the biggest ABC soap operas.

another friend of mine took his theater degree to law school and now practices entertainment law. he represents a number of actors, writers, etc. whose work is seen on Broadway. he gets to go to all the premieres.

the point is, Angela, your mother gave you good advice. you want to give performing a try, go for it. but think about the "just in case", what you might enjoy doing with that theater degree "if".

honestly, I couldn't give up on theatre even if I wanted to. There's nothing else I can do or have any desire to do.

I understand what you mean by this. My husband is a composer - just not paid to do it for anyone else yet.

Several people mentioned a fall-back plan: my 2 cents on that: Choose one, but choose wisely.

When he & I have discussed "What if you never make it - the big dream (scoring films)?" His reply: "I hear music in my head - I have to get it out. I will always compose even if I never have the opportunity to do it professionally." This is hard for some people to understand - but i bet you do ;)

Sometimes the dream - a really big dream - picks you. It's part of who you are - it means you will tread a difficult path, but following your path, however difficult, is easier than doing something that is not you - as illustrated I think by this email i got this week from a career assessment website where I took a really interesting profile [I was just laid off 10 days ago and am using this as an opportunity to possibly make a career change - http://www.assessment.com if anyone's interested] anyway here's the story:

"I picked up a fork and explained that as long as I used it for eating, the fork would last indefinitely. However, if I began to use it to drive nails or dig trenches, it would soon break. The key was to use it for what it was designed to do.

The look in his eyes told me he got it, but I still went on to say that people are like the fork. When they do what they are not designed to do, they eventually break."

A fallback plan is important - DH is currently in his right now. Baby needs shoes, as they say. You need to eat and a place to live. But that doesn't mean he's given up composing - he never will because that is a dream (and a gift, in my opinion) that chose him. And he's wisely not going to "dig trenches with his fork." He will continue to bring to life the music that he hears - and to look for opportunities to share that with others. And someday, he may get the opportunity to do that and that alone as his profession. But the fallback plan needs to "fit" for you too - otherwise your spirit will be broken by using your fork to dig trenches.

Do you need a thick skin - sure - but don't we all? I sure did when I started working - we all develop that in our own way, through our own life experiences; that's what makes it uniquely our journey through life.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Good luck! Kudos to you for having the courage to follow your dream.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Originally posted by snoopy
Now toughen up, go do your best at your audition, and most importantly, take one day at a time! Sometimes life hands you lemons, I say go make some lemonade (and knock 'em dead at your audition!)

Excellent comment, snoopy!

I don't know you either, AB, but want you to rise above this critcism. I re-read it and think that it was meant to be constructive, although it wasn't what you were looking for.

You'll probably hear stiffer criticism than this in your career, no matter how successful you are. Tough it out and show them what you're made of!

Good luck!

AngieBelle, I don't know you, but I will share a little something that uplifts me when I get discouraged. This is the life story of a man who demonstrated pure courage and perseverance:

Failed in business - age 21, Ran for legislature and defeated-age 23, Again failed in business-age 24, Elected to legislature-age 25, Sweetheart died-age 26, Had a nervous breakdown-age 27, Defeated for Speaker-age 29, Defeated for Elector-age 31, Defeated for Congress-age 34, Elected to Congress-age 37, Defeated for Congress-age 39, Defeated for Senate-age 46, Defeated for Vice President-age 47, Defeated for Senate-age 49, Elected for President of the United States - age 51. That's the life record of Abraham Lincoln..

Don't you ever give up on your dreams..you go girl!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter