My Dining Plan Price Breakdown

Someone28624

Mouseketeer
In September I took a solo 4 night trip. I had the standard dining plan. I see a lot of posts asking if the dining plan is worth it. I decided to track my expenses and compare them to what the dining plan cost. I figured I would share my results here.

I mostly ordered what I wanted. I did not worry about ordering the most expensive items. I don't eat beef, so that eliminated options like steak. I did drink alcohol at most meals and get dessert.

As far as food outside of the plan, I ordered the pulled bread at Sebastian's Bistro as an appetizer, which wasn't included. I did Animal Kingdom After Hours and had snacks there outside of the plan. I also did MNSSHP on this trip, but took the candy home.

*Refillable Mug: $18.99
*Hoop Dee Doo: $64/ 2 TS Credits
*Morimoto Street Food: $17 (pork bun $6, wine slushy $11) /1 QS Credit
*Wetzel's Pretzel: $7 (pretzel $5.50, dip $1.50)/1 Snack Credit
*Be Our Guest: $25.99 (Croque de Monsieur $15.99, Grapefruit Beer $10)/ 1 QS Credit
*Flame Tree BBQ: Pulled Pork Fries $6.99/ 1 Snack Credit
*Woody's Lunch Box: $9.78 (Root beer float $5.49, Raspberry pastry $4.29)/ 2 Snack Credits
*Sebastian's Bistro: $49.50 (Caribbean Smuggler $10.50, Taste if Caribbean $32, Panna Cotta $7)/ 1 TS Credit
*Garden Grill $65 (lunch $53, wine $12)/ 1 TS Credit
*Centertown Market $14.28 (Island Bounty Platter $11.29, Nesquik $2.99)/1 QS Credit

After this I was heading home. I had one QS credit and 4 snack credits left. I converted the QS into snack credits to give me 7 snack credits left and got take home snacks.

Rice Krispie Treats 4 x $4.69= $18.76
Cookies 3 x $4.49= $13.47

If my math is correct (and that's a big IF) this means I would have spent $321.26 to get this food out of pocket. At $75.49/night, the dining plan cost me $301.96, so I came out a little under $20 ahead. Now, of course without the dining plan I wouldn't have bought those cookies and Rice Krispie Treats at the end. I use them as souvenirs and a sweet reminder of the trip when I get home, though, so I don't consider them a total waste.

Some things I noticed: Garden Grill is a steal for 1 TS credit. It cost more than my 2 TS Hoop Dee Doo meal (since they only had tier 3 availability). I'm not sure if Wetzel's Pretzel's was supposed to include the dip for 1 Snack credit, but they did, making that a great snack credit value. Morimoto Street Food the food portion was a waste of a QS credit, and I was still hungry afterwards, but the drink evened out the value.

Just one perspective use of the plan. Feel free to point out any edits.

Nice moves.
I think you made out well even considering the HDDR loss. Well played. I'm not sure what the "average" ts credit equals these days, but I'm guessing 2TS is still "worth" more than the oop HDDR price. Even so, nice moves. Garden Grill lunch is 65 dollars???

Nice moves.
I think you made out well even considering the HDDR loss. Well played. I'm not sure what the "average" ts credit equals these days, but I'm guessing it's still more than the oop HDDR price. Even so, nice moves. Garden Grill lunch is 65 dollars???

The lunch was $53, then I got a $12 glass of wine as my beverage. They were also kind enough to get me a Diet Coke. The alcohol definitely helps with the cost balance.

Nice moves.
I think you made out well even considering the HDDR loss. Well played. I'm not sure what the "average" ts credit equals these days, but I'm guessing 2TS is still "worth" more than the oop HDDR price. Even so, nice moves. Garden Grill lunch is 65 dollars???

I think I've seen it estimated that 1TS is generally worth about $45 (based on $5-$6 snack credits).

So if 1 TS credit has a monetary value of whatever, then 2xwhatever - 64 is how much you overpaid for HDDR.
If a TS credit's value is currently 45.00, you overpaid for HDDR by 26 bucks.

I'm not sure what that does to your bottom line, if anything. I think that's already accounted for in the oop vs dp ledger you've done.

So if 1 TS credit has a monetary value of whatever, then 2xwhatever - 64 is how much you overpaid for HDDR.

I'm not sure what that does to your bottom line, if anything. I think that's already accounted for in the oop vs dp ledger you've done.

I definitely lost value on HDDR, but got far above value at Sebastian's and Garden Grill. People have this idea surrounding the dining plan that if you don't maximize every credit you're losing money. While you are leaving value on the table, so to speak (I could have come out $50 ahead instead of $20 ahead), if you're not ordering cheaply every meal then you may be okay as far as at least not losing money.

HDDR is a two hour dinner show. The poster could only reserve a category three reservation (if you book early enough, you can get a category one seating for the 8:30 show), it also includes unlimited drinks (Including sangria and I believe beer). And it includes the tip. So poster didn't loose that much!!

WHen I cost out the meals I cost it over teh length of the trip. Some days may be less value but others over the cost per day. For me, it is the total cost of the plan vs total OOP. When folks advise the value of a credit, it is just a tool to help measure what an average meal should cost if you use the plan.

I work it out over the holiday too, so I pay x in total for the plan, if I would have spent more than x over the whole stay, win! I usually come out ahead.
BUT, this time I got free dining, so, now I will be cheerfully adding up how much I saved (and I get what I actually want to eat, eating something I don't want because it costs more is not value.)
Thanks for your info, its great to see how it works in other scenarios

I encourage people to read Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter because it devotes time to why an all-inclusive vacation can be awesome for reasons that have nothing to do with "We did three character meals, so we came out $200 ahead!"
-Paying for anything causes regions in your brain associated with pain to light up. Paying hurts. So, making a vacation where you have to part with money fewer times while still consuming the things you need/want on your vacation feels better.
-Decision making also takes up mental energy and can cause stress for the individual as well as friction between people in your party if they disagree on whether or not to spend, say, $12 for a glass of wine at Garden Grill. That wine is already included, so you don't have to decide whether or not you want to part with $12 in the moment.
-Also, putting time between paying and consuming a service or good also increases the pleasure you experience from that good or service, so the fact that you pre-pay for dining plans separates the payment and the consumption.
Enjoy your decision to book a dining plan. Don't sweat too much over whether each credit is getting "value." If a two-credit Signature meal or a dinner show is what your party really wants to experience, that has value. (And sure, enjoy your decision to not book one because your family shares all the meals, doesn't really snack, no one drinks alcohol, and/or you don't like character meals. You, too, will have a nice vacation.)

I encourage people to read Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter because it devotes time to why an all-inclusive vacation can be awesome for reasons that have nothing to do with "We did three character meals, so we came out $200 ahead!"
-Paying for anything causes regions in your brain associated with pain to light up. Paying hurts. So, making a vacation where you have to part with money fewer times while still consuming the things you need/want on your vacation feels better.
-Decision making also takes up mental energy and can cause stress for the individual as well as friction between people in your party if they disagree on whether or not to spend, say, $12 for a glass of wine at Garden Grill. That wine is already included, so you don't have to decide whether or not you want to part with $12 in the moment.
-Also, putting time between paying and consuming a service or good also increases the pleasure you experience from that good or service, so the fact that you pre-pay for dining plans separates the payment and the consumption.
Enjoy your decision to book a dining plan. Don't sweat too much over whether each credit is getting "value." If a two-credit Signature meal or a dinner show is what your party really wants to experience, that has value. (And sure, enjoy your decision to not book one because your family shares all the meals, doesn't really snack, no one drinks alcohol, and/or you don't like character meals. You, too, will have a nice vacation.)
This makes a lot of sense!

That’s really interesting! I have always enjoyed the dining plan because I like an "excuse" to order dessert and alcohol guilt free on vacation, when in my day to day life I would have a hard time justifying that purchase at a restaurant. Seeing how I came out ahead this trip made the dining plan an even easier purchase. I won't be doing the math again, though.

All interesting points, but I think that's where I differ from this info and look at the DDP as a purely financial deal.

When I pay for things, I don't feel pain at all. It doesn't bother me one bit. I've always taken great pleasure in paying for a meal or, heck, even clothes shopping. I realize from reading these boards that I'm different, but my best friend is kind of the same (birds of feather). My biggest motivational factor is ALWAYS being fiscally prudent. I have no guilt about ordering a drink or dessert or the most expensive steak on the menu. I just get what I want and I don't give it a thought.

The thing that *really* kind of sends me over the edge is paying for something and then not getting the monetary value out of it. So if I pay $3,000 across the week for the dining plan for the 5 people in my room and I only get a $2,800 value out of it, I'm going to be furious with myself for wasting $200. Literally, handing $200 to Disney for nothing. It's like throwing money right in the trash can.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm wealthy and I don't think about money. I'm not. I've had years where I couldn't even go out to dinner, but when I could and did, I made sure I had enough to cover it and I got what I wanted. I guess I've just never had that type of pain/guilt relationship with spending.

It does make it really hard for me to relate on some of the DDP threads because I see people who are obviously pinching pennies to get to Disney yet they don't worry about paying for the DDP and potential loss because they don't want to experience those factors you've listed in your post. Yet, they are so budget-conscious/concerned but think nothing of it when they lose money on it. I also realize that, done right, you can really do well with the plan. I'm going to get the plan on my room this year and I'm going to maximize the you-know-what out of it (but only on 2 people across two rooms). It's a game to me now.

All interesting points, but I think that's where I differ from this info and look at the DDP as a purely financial deal.

When I pay for things, I don't feel pain at all. It doesn't bother me one bit. I've always taken great pleasure in paying for a meal or, heck, even clothes shopping. I realize from reading these boards that I'm different, but my best friend is kind of the same (birds of feather). My biggest motivational factor is ALWAYS being fiscally prudent. I have no guilt about ordering a drink or dessert or the most expensive steak on the menu. I just get what I want and I don't give it a thought.

The thing that *really* kind of sends me over the edge is paying for something and then not getting the monetary value out of it. So if I pay $3,000 across the week for the dining plan for the 5 people in my room and I only get a $2,800 value out of it, I'm going to be furious with myself for wasting $200. Literally, handing $200 to Disney for nothing. It's like throwing money right in the trash can.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm wealthy and I don't think about money. I'm not. I've had years where I couldn't even go out to dinner, but when I could and did, I made sure I had enough to cover it and I got what I wanted. I guess I've just never had that type of pain/guilt relationship with spending.

It does make it really hard for me to relate on some of the DDP threads because I see people who are obviously pinching pennies to get to Disney yet they don't worry about paying for the DDP and potential loss because they don't want to experience those factors you've listed in your post. Yet, they are so budget-conscious/concerned but think nothing of it when they lose money on it. I also realize that, done right, you can really do well with the plan. I'm going to get the plan on my room this year and I'm going to maximize the you-know-what out of it (but only on 2 people across two rooms). It's a game to me now.

I htink that people really need to understand how they feel about spending money in the moment when they consider a DDP or no plan. You can look at your options and purchase whatever you want without looking at the cost at that time. I cannot. I know this, my husband knows this. We get the dining plan most of the time for that reason. I I know that after one or two days I am not going to order the steak after I look at the price. I will order the chicken or rthe pasta. I htink that many of the people of pinch pennies to save for the trip are much the same as I am. They do not want th "guilt" of buying the pricy snack, they will get it because they know they have paid for the entitlement already.

I always suggest people do the math befor epurchasing a plan, but I see some of the most negative posts when folks discuss convenience. I think "convenience" can be a word that encompasses a lot of thoughts that have noting to do with the actual convenience of buying a plan, but everythign to do with an individual's mindset.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter