My Disneyland Experience Rating? "meh"

neilintoronto

Earning My Ears
I grew up going to WDW with my family every other year (or so) in the 80s and I've travelled to WDW with my own family (DW 40, DS 10 and DD 7) five times over the last 7 years. This year we thought we would try something new and travel to the place the "magic" started - Disneyland.

My experience over our 5 days in DL and DCA was okay, but definitely not up to the quality I expected from Disney.

I will try to explain my reasons with a few anecdotes that I found inexcusable for my "Disney" standards - which are admittedly extremely high because it's DISNEY!

1) Cast Member Indifference

On our first day in the park I was a bit surprised at the entrance to the queue at Haunted Mansion when 3 cast members were huddled together discussing a conversation they had with their supervisor about their schedules. They had literally formed a little circle and were completely ignoring the guests. Although this moment sticks out to me because it was the first, it became very routine for me to see cast members chatting with one another and ignoring customers.

After the first day, we figured out where the fastpass distribution locations were for most rides, and which line lead to which ride -- but DL lines can be confusing and although there was usually a cast member (very rarely more than one) at the entrance to a ride - NEVER at the end of the queue - those cast members were almost always just standing silently, observing the crowd. If asked, they would point people in the correct direction, but they weren't being very proactive.

I will admit that my next anecdote is very "picky". But we are taking about Disney here, not the travelling carnival that sets up in the mall parking lot for the weekend. My family was waiting in the single rider line for Splash Mountain (as this cuts your wait time from 75 minutes to 15 minutes). The (lone) cast member was doing his double-duty of handling the single rider line and managing the disabled-access returns. The call came in from the loading zone to let another group single riders through. As he counts off the numbers, my family goes through but I happen to be #11 or #21 or whatever - I'm the cutoff point. If you've ever done the single rider line at Splash Mountain, you know that this first line is just to keep the single rider line from interfering with people exiting the boats. Sending up one more single rider (or 5) isn't going to impact the ride in any way. But the biggest issue wasn't that this cast member had no clue (or care) that the 4 of us were together, it was that when we sort of stopped for a second and told him that we were a group of four together, he had already turned his back to us and pretty much growled "you're all SINGLE RIDERS!" I looked at my wife and we shrugged and up she went with the kids, as I stayed behind. Now, if this was my "home park" (WDW) I would have ripped this cast member up one side and down the other. For a couple of reasons:

1) The single rider line at Splash Mountain is 98% chaos. Anyone who gets off the ride can simply turn left instead of right and join the line.

2) it's a single "rider" line, not a wait-by-yourself line.

After a 7-8 minute wait, the call came from the top of the mountain to let more single riders through, again without making eye contact the cast member waved through some more people. And I arrived at the top of the mountain to rejoin my family. After the two people who had jumped the line by joining the single rider line instead of exiting the ride kindly let me pass them.

Had the cast member done anything really wrong? No. He was just doing as he was told. They said let 10 people through, so he did. But he definitely couldn't care less about our experience. I found the overall indifference

to the customer experience to be present in several aspects of DL, not just the cast members.

2) Park Design Indifference

I understand all Disney parks are insanely crowded. But I felt that DL could easily do more to alleviate the issue. Whoever is in charge of overseeing the flow of traffic in Adventureland (outside Indiana Jones) should be forced to walk that route for several hours a day - just to feel the totality of their failure. Again, it's not just that there is construction and a bottleneck, it's that there wasn't a single thing DL was doing to manage the issue. There wasn't a single cast member helping with crowd control, there was no signage saying "stay right" or "go right". There was no change to the queue of jungle cruise or Indiana jones to accommodate. I'm not pretending that I have an answer to the congestion issue in that corner of the park, but I can imagine that Walt Disney wouldn't accept it and neither should those in charge of the park today!

World of Color. Would anyone deny that families are the reason Disney parks exist? And one of the main characteristics of families are children. And a main characteristic of children is that they are smaller than adults? So, why does DCA have a show which is designed in a way that completely excludes children from enjoying it? I'm about 6 feet tall and because I refused to wrestle my way past 3-4 other people, or show up over an hour before the show, I couldn't see anything either. No one was being overly rude or disrespectful, it's just like no one at DCA has ever cared that kids can't see the show.

3) Ride Closings - planned and unplanned.

I understand that fantasyland has to be closed during fireworks. Can't have people in the line of fire, or moving around in lines with limited lighting. But, when fireworks are cancelled due to high winds (as they were for one night of our visit) why does the majority of Fantasyland remain roped off? For over an hour? Perhaps there is a reason and a cast member can explain it to me? But, it seems that if the fireworks aren't on then there is no reason to shut down fantasyland.

I can also understand that there are fewer young kids in the parks at night and therefore Toontown will be less popular at 9 pm than at 11 am. But, there are still a LOT of kids in DL at 9pm that want to play in Toontown and there are even a lot of older "kids" (like me) that would love to simply walk around and maybe ride Roger Rabbit or even pull some door handles after 8:30 pm. So why close Toontown every day 3 hours before the rest of the park? It also just looks super-cheap to have a sandwich board sign in the middle of the street "Toontown Closes at 8:30 pm".

Another night, I was checking the DL iOS app and I saw that Buzz Lightyear had neither a wait time posted or the "temporarily closed" label. So we went to check it out. Maybe it had just reopened?

We saw the empty queue and a cast member in buzz light year uniform. "What's going on?" we asked.

"Closed for the night," he responded.

"Not temporarily broken?"

"Nope. Closed for the night."

We just sort of stood in stunned silence as the crowds swept by. On a night when every ride had at least a 20-30 minute line, one of the highest capacity rides in the park simply(?) closes 3 hours early? Just strange.

As for the "unplanned" ride closings, I had read about these on the Disboards but discounted them on visitors "looking for things to complain about". But, it's real! And a complete joke! At anytime in our 5 days at the park 2 or 3 rides were closed for some unexplained reason. Cast members were unable to offer any insights into the nature of the closing or how long the ride would be closed for. It was very strange to us. Rides go down at WDW as well, but maybe one ride a day - for an hour? How does story book canal boats go "down" for 4 hours? Or Snow White? Surely, there must be a cast member on the boards that can explain why DL rides are so fickle while WDW rides are so much less so?

We are not "high maintenance" people. I mean, we are Canadian! Our founding principles are "Peace, Order and Good Government" which is a bit more humble than the American, "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". One reason we love travelling to America is that the customer service levels in the States are so astronomically better than in Canada. In most Canadian restaurants and stores the customer is often made to feel that they are a nuisance instead of the reason the business exists. And the reason we love Disney so much is that the service levels at Disney are so beyond anywhere else in America. I have promoted WDW to my friends and co-workers with story after story of how Disney has gone above and beyond our service expectations over and over again. And I expected the same level of service at Disneyland. But I was sad to experience service levels that pretty much matched (or were actually a little below) our experience at our local amusement park.

Sorry you didn't have a great time. I think it's easier for me to overlook some of the things you mentioned.
Normally, the cast members go over the top with their help. Sometimes, I see what you saw, which is cast members too busy having a conversation to do their job. It's very rare, but it does happen in Disneyland the same as it does at every other business I've been to.
1) The single rider line at Splash Mountain is 98% chaos. Anyone who gets off the ride can simply turn left instead of right and join the line.
I agree. I only did single rider there once and it was very unorganized. I think I stood there for quite a while before they even noticed me. If they aren't going to man the single rider line, they really shouldn't have one.
Yes. The rides close way too much. It gets to me sometimes, but most of the time, I just go do something else. Since I live close by and visit frequently for only a few hours at a time, it's no big deal to me to miss something because I know I can see it another time. I'd be pretty let down if I flew here from another country and wasn't able to do everything because of closures.

Sorry Disneyland didn't meet your expectations. I understand. I hated WDW.

Well. I'm not sure you do understand. To be clear, I didn't hate Disneyland. I was just surprised and disappointed by some experienced I had there. I listed some of the specifics in an attempt to avoid trashing a place that is very important to 99% of the people posting and reading these boards.
My point was to share my experience and seek out other points of view - maybe my experience was unique?
At first I assumed that your posting was in defence of DL, as a sort of juvenile "oh yeah! Well if you don't like my toy than don't like your toy either!" But maybe you were trying to say that you hated WDW for the exact same reasons- which would be strange though, because WDW doesn't have some of the issues I mentioned - like the Adventureland crowding, World of Color,
Toontown, etc.
So you must have hated WDW for other reasons.

Last edited:
Well. I'm not sure you do understand. To be clear, I didn't hate Disneyland. I was just surprised and disappointed by some experienced I had there. I listed some of the specifics in an attempt to avoid trashing a place that is very important to 99% of the people posting and reading these boards.
My point was to share my experience and seek out other points of view - maybe my experience was unique?
At first I assumed that your posting was in defence of DL, as a sort of juvenile "oh yeah! Well if you don't like my toy than don't like your toy either!" But maybe you were trying to say that you hated WDW for the exact same reasons- which would be strange though, because WDW doesn't have some of the issues I mentioned - like the Adventureland crowding, World of Color,
Toontown, etc.
So you must have hated WDW for other reasons.
No...not juvenile. WDW has other issues. I just don't need to point them out.

Since I live close by and visit frequently for only a few hours at a time, it's no big deal to me to miss something because I know I can see it another time. I'd be pretty let down if I flew here from another country and wasn't able to do everything because of closures.

It wasn't so much that I missed a specific ride, it was just that when the parks were crowded and a ride or 3 go down, could that impact the wait times of the other rides? Which affects the overall experience? At least in the mind of visitors?

I would agee that DL is better suited to locals with AP's than tourists. In my opinion, the WDW experience for people travelling from out-of-town is superior to DL.

To be fair, lots of rides broke down or were closed when I went to WDW. It happens. Sorry you didn't have a good time. I do think DL and WDW have lots of differences. What you saw as bad customer service in CM's , I saw bad atititudes at WDW of customers. People yelling at their kids and acting pissed off at the world. It was strange.

Regarding Toontown's closure, it's a fire safety thing as it's in the firework drop zone.

Regarding Fantasy Land, there are apparently live fireworks loaded into the castle. They close it at loading time. If the fireworks do not go off as planned, they still have live fireworks in the castle that have to be removed, hence the waiting to reopen the area.

Most of the single rider lines at Disneyland are less monitored and taken care of than I would expect. Indiana jones, screamin, splash can get pretty bad. Matterhorn is a little confusing just because fp now uses same line as single rider.

As far as ride closings, they don't usually advertise why, and almost never offer estimates. I was on a VIP tour, and we got stuck in the queue near the end. She told me why it was closed, which was because someone lost something vital on the ride, which I guess happens relatively often. Otherwise, you usually will never be told why a ride is temp closed.

As far as park design, well, it's no excuse, but the park was not built for current amount of people. There's not much they can really do. I just avoid adventureland in the afternoon as much as possible. All the lands to some extent were not really designed for today's crowds.

Regarding Toontown's closure, it's a fire safety thing as it's in the firework drop zone.

Regarding Fantasy Land, there are apparently live fireworks loaded into the castle. They close it at loading time. If the fireworks do not go off as planned, they still have live fireworks in the castle that have to be removed, hence the waiting to reopen the area.

Okay. That makes sense.
To be fair, lots of rides broke down or were closed when I went to WDW. It happens. Sorry you didn't have a good time. I do think DL and WDW have lots of differences. What you saw as bad customer service in CM's , I saw bad atititudes at WDW of customers. People yelling at their kids and acting pissed off at the world. It was strange.

We did notice that the DL crowd was a lot better than the WDW crowd. Very few groups at DL (like zero). And everyone very well behaved and civilized. Although maybe that makes the crowd watching not as fun?

When were you there? They just (June 30, maybe) made some changes to Adventureland traffic flow that should help a lot- moved stroller parking, added restaurant seating, etc.

I'm sorry it wasn't a magical trip. I think Disneyland has just hit capacity and can't keep up with traffic flow or ride maintenance. The park was not built for so many people. These are valid complaints.

It will be interesting to see how Star Wars Land fits in. Hopefully it alleviates the rest of the park a bit!

Most of the single rider lines at Disneyland are less monitored and taken care of than I would expect. Indiana jones, screamin, splash can get pretty bad. Matterhorn is a little confusing just because fp now uses same line as single rider.

As far as ride closings, they don't usually advertise why, and almost never offer estimates. I was on a VIP tour, and we got stuck in the queue near the end. She told me why it was closed, which was because someone lost something vital on the ride, which I guess happens relatively often. Otherwise, you usually will never be told why a ride is temp closed.

As far as park design, well, it's no excuse, but the park was not built for current amount of people. There's not much they can really do. I just avoid adventureland in the afternoon as much as possible. All the lands to some extent were not really designed for today's crowds.

We also commented on that while in the park. But, it seemed to me that although there were signs posted (wait times, fastpass return) at the entrance to rides - the queues for the lines extend well past the point of being able to read those signs. You can't make less people, but maybe the signs could be larger, or placed where the lineups actually are, instead of where they end?

When were you there? They just (June 30, maybe) made some changes to Adventureland traffic flow that should help a lot- moved stroller parking, added restaurant seating, etc.

I'm sorry it wasn't a magical trip. I think Disneyland has just hit capacity and can't keep up with traffic flow or ride maintenance. The park was not built for so many people. These are valid complaints.

It will be interesting to see how Star Wars Land fits in. Hopefully it alleviates the rest of the park a bit!

I think they made the changes the day after we left.

I grew up going to WDW with my family every other year (or so) in the 80s and I've travelled to WDW with my own family (DW 40, DS 10 and DD 7) five times over the last 7 years. This year we thought we would try something new and travel to the place the "magic" started - Disneyland.

My experience over our 5 days in DL and DCA was okay, but definitely not up to the quality I expected from Disney.

I will try to explain my reasons with a few anecdotes that I found inexcusable for my "Disney" standards - which are admittedly extremely high because it's DISNEY!

On our first day in the park I was a bit surprised at the entrance to the queue at Haunted Mansion when 3 cast members were huddled together discussing a conversation they had with their supervisor about their schedules. They had literally formed a little circle and were completely ignoring the guests. Although this moment sticks out to me because it was the first, it became very routine for me to see cast members chatting with one another and ignoring customers.

After the first day, we figured out where the fastpass distribution locations were for most rides, and which line lead to which ride -- but DL lines can be confusing and although there was usually a cast member (very rarely more than one) at the entrance to a ride - NEVER at the end of the queue - those cast members were almost always just standing silently, observing the crowd. If asked, they would point people in the correct direction, but they weren't being very proactive.

I will admit that my next anecdote is very "picky". But we are taking about Disney here, not the travelling carnival that sets up in the mall parking lot for the weekend. My family was waiting in the single rider line for Splash Mountain (as this cuts your wait time from 75 minutes to 15 minutes). The (lone) cast member was doing his double-duty of handling the single rider line and managing the disabled-access returns. The call came in from the loading zone to let another group single riders through. As he counts off the numbers, my family goes through but I happen to be #11 or #21 or whatever - I'm the cutoff point. If you've ever done the single rider line at Splash Mountain, you know that this first line is just to keep the single rider line from interfering with people exiting the boats. Sending up one more single rider (or 5) isn't going to impact the ride in any way. But the biggest issue wasn't that this cast member had no clue (or care) that the 4 of us were together, it was that when we sort of stopped for a second and told him that we were a group of four together, he had already turned his back to us and pretty much growled "you're all SINGLE RIDERS!" I looked at my wife and we shrugged and up she went with the kids, as I stayed behind. Now, if this was my "home park" (WDW) I would have ripped this cast member up one side and down the other. For a couple of reasons:

2) it's a single "rider" line, not a wait-by-yourself line.

After a 7-8 minute wait, the call came from the top of the mountain to let more single riders through, again without making eye contact the cast member waved through some more people. And I arrived at the top of the mountain to rejoin my family. After the two people who had jumped the line by joining the single rider line instead of exiting the ride kindly let me pass them.

Had the cast member done anything really wrong? No. He was just doing as he was told. They said let 10 people through, so he did. But he definitely couldn't care less about our experience. I found the overall indifference

to the customer experience to be present in several aspects of DL, not just the cast members.

2) Park Design Indifference

I understand all Disney parks are insanely crowded. But I felt that DL could easily do more to alleviate the issue. Whoever is in charge of overseeing the flow of traffic in Adventureland (outside Indiana Jones) should be forced to walk that route for several hours a day - just to feel the totality of their failure. Again, it's not just that there is construction and a bottleneck, it's that there wasn't a single thing DL was doing to manage the issue. There wasn't a single cast member helping with crowd control, there was no signage saying "stay right" or "go right". There was no change to the queue of jungle cruise or Indiana jones to accommodate. I'm not pretending that I have an answer to the congestion issue in that corner of the park, but I can imagine that Walt Disney wouldn't accept it and neither should those in charge of the park today!

World of Color. Would anyone deny that families are the reason Disney parks exist? And one of the main characteristics of families are children. And a main characteristic of children is that they are smaller than adults? So, why does DCA have a show which is designed in a way that completely excludes children from enjoying it? I'm about 6 feet tall and because I refused to wrestle my way past 3-4 other people, or show up over an hour before the show, I couldn't see anything either. No one was being overly rude or disrespectful, it's just like no one at DCA has ever cared that kids can't see the show.

I understand that fantasyland has to be closed during fireworks. Can't have people in the line of fire, or moving around in lines with limited lighting. But, when fireworks are cancelled due to high winds (as they were for one night of our visit) why does the majority of Fantasyland remain roped off? For over an hour? Perhaps there is a reason and a cast member can explain it to me? But, it seems that if the fireworks aren't on then there is no reason to shut down fantasyland.

I can also understand that there are fewer young kids in the parks at night and therefore Toontown will be less popular at 9 pm than at 11 am. But, there are still a LOT of kids in DL at 9pm that want to play in Toontown and there are even a lot of older "kids" (like me) that would love to simply walk around and maybe ride Roger Rabbit or even pull some door handles after 8:30 pm. So why close Toontown every day 3 hours before the rest of the park? It also just looks super-cheap to have a sandwich board sign in the middle of the street "Toontown Closes at 8:30 pm".

Another night, I was checking the DL iOS app and I saw that Buzz Lightyear had neither a wait time posted or the "temporarily closed" label. So we went to check it out. Maybe it had just reopened?

We saw the empty queue and a cast member in buzz light year uniform. "What's going on?" we asked.

"Closed for the night," he responded.

"Not temporarily broken?"

"Nope. Closed for the night."

We just sort of stood in stunned silence as the crowds swept by. On a night when every ride had at least a 20-30 minute line, one of the highest capacity rides in the park simply(?) closes 3 hours early? Just strange.

As for the "unplanned" ride closings, I had read about these on the Disboards but discounted them on visitors "looking for things to complain about". But, it's real! And a complete joke! At anytime in our 5 days at the park 2 or 3 rides were closed for some unexplained reason. Cast members were unable to offer any insights into the nature of the closing or how long the ride would be closed for. It was very strange to us. Rides go down at WDW as well, but maybe one ride a day - for an hour? How does story book canal boats go "down" for 4 hours? Or Snow White? Surely, there must be a cast member on the boards that can explain why DL rides are so fickle while WDW rides are so much less so?

We are not "high maintenance" people. I mean, we are Canadian! Our founding principles are "Peace, Order and Good Government" which is a bit more humble than the American, "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". One reason we love travelling to America is that the customer service levels in the States are so astronomically better than in Canada. In most Canadian restaurants and stores the customer is often made to feel that they are a nuisance instead of the reason the business exists. And the reason we love Disney so much is that the service levels at Disney are so beyond anywhere else in America. I have promoted WDW to my friends and co-workers with story after story of how Disney has gone above and beyond our service expectations over and over again. And I expected the same level of service at Disneyland. But I was sad to experience service levels that pretty much matched (or were actually a little below) our experience at our local amusement park.

So you are bragging about being more humble? :rolleyes:

And BTW, they did just make some changes to Adventureland to help with traffic flow. I like what I've seen so far. When were you there?

One other piknt that I would like to make is somewhat of a backhanded compliment. The lineup for Dole Whips was extremely well managed! There were at least 5-6 cast members working behind the booth, and a cast member taking orders and completing credit card transactions in both (!) lineups for the tasty treats! All in all, about 8 CM's working the dole whip station..... and... 2 working Snow White?

I would agee that DL is better suited to locals with AP's than tourists. In my opinion, the WDW experience for people travelling from out-of-town is superior to DL.
From what I've read, that does seem to be the case. We're going for a weekend in November (been holding onto auction tickets for over a year), and I'm sure we'll have fun. I don't have over the moon expectations, though. I know it won't be like being immersed in a whole other world like you are at WDW. I am looking forward to going on some new-to-us rides, though, and seeing Toontown.

Last edited:
It wasn't so much that I missed a specific ride, it was just that when the parks were crowded and a ride or 3 go down, could that impact the wait times of the other rides? Which affects the overall experience? At least in the mind of visitors?

Not necessarily. It depends on what you value most. We've been to DL and WDW many times each. We live in the middle of the country so it's a pretty long flight to either resort. Our hands down favorite is DLR. We like being able to be spontaneous, make decisions on the day we are there and hop from park to park with minimal time investment.

We are far from local, but I do like the way the locals hold Disney's feet to the fire. DLR has to work hard to impress their repeat customers in a way WDW doesn't have to. (cough cough MSEP).

I'm not going to criticize the way you feel, obviously you are entitled to your own opinion and none of us walked in your shoes during your trip. However, is it possible that you may have put more expectations on this trip because it was new and maybe a once in a lifetime experience? You go to WDW often so you are probably able to shrug off the small stuff since it's your home park and you know you will be back. I have never been to WDW but I go to DL often. I know that when I do finally take my trip out to Florida I will have high expectations and there will be more at stake with the amount of money invested in such a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter