My Magical Journey to Running the Half Marathon TR Link! p.107

holidaylights.jpg

Thanks Heidi! We had a wonderful holiday. Hope you did as well. :goodvibes

I just finished reading your entire report and although I'm a bit late in joining in I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it and also to wish you good luck!:goodvibes I can't wait to hear how the race goes! You'll do great I'm sure!:cheer2:

:welcome: Thanks so much!

That is so amazing!! so proud of you, Carissa. You're totally my inspiration! :worship:

It's so close Carissa!!!

How is your leg feeling? :confused3

Thanks for asking, Amy. :) I ran today for the first time since my 10 miles. I kept it short and only "ran" a little bit and very slowly. My leg/groin started bothering me right away and I started to feel pretty discouraged. But, I iced the area immediately after my workout and it's been fine the rest of the day! :cool1: I'm sure it'll act up when I do the half, but I know I can get through it and give it a good long rest afterwards. :thumbsup2

That is so amazing!! so proud of you, Carissa. You're totally my inspiration! :worship:

Thanks Liesa! :goodvibes

It took me a long time to recover from the 10 mile run, too. I walked 2 miles one day last week but didn't run again until Monday.

Amanda

Carissa, almost a whole year since starting this thread!!! :dance3: AND your 1/2 Marathon is around the corner!!! :dance3:

Just stopping by to wish you the best of luck!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I came on to Wish you a Happy New Year.
Hope your leg is feeling better.

I came by to say Congratulations! on all of your efforts this year. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. I look forward to an exciting 2011 seeing your boys grow, see new places, and do fun things together.

I also came by to see what kind of good food is on the menu for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. ;) You are always cooking such good stuff!

Yay CARISSA!!!!!!:yay: It's almost time! I really wish we could be there to cheer you on in person. That would be really neat. Just know that I'll be thinking of ya! Can't wait to read all about it when you return.

It took me a long time to recover from the 10 mile run, too. I walked 2 miles one day last week but didn't run again until Monday.

Amanda

I'm sure I would have been sore regardless, but the groin strain is a whole other issue unto itself.

Carissa, almost a whole year since starting this thread!!! :dance3: AND your 1/2 Marathon is around the corner!!! :dance3:

Just stopping by to wish you the best of luck!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks so much Karen! :goodvibes

I came on to Wish you a Happy New Year.
Hope your leg is feeling better.

Thanks Marisa! Happy New Year to you!

Great job on the 10 miles Carissa! I hope your leg gets better soon.

And Happy New Year!

Thanks Glenn! You too! :)

I came by to say Congratulations! on all of your efforts this year. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. I look forward to an exciting 2011 seeing your boys grow, see new places, and do fun things together.

I also came by to see what kind of good food is on the menu for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. ;) You are always cooking such good stuff!

Thanks MeMom. :) We actually drove up to Pennsylvania for New Years and spent it with my husband's family. We had a bunch of appetizer/snacks on New Year's Eve and my sister-in-law made the traditional New Year's day German meal - pork with sauerkraut. It was delicious! I had never tried sauerkraut before and was surprised at how good it was.

Congratulations on a year of hard work Carissa!! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Amy!

Just wanted to wish you luck one more time before you go! Have a great trip!

Thanks so much! Getting very excited. :)

Yay CARISSA!!!!!!:yay: It's almost time! I really wish we could be there to cheer you on in person. That would be really neat. Just know that I'll be thinking of ya! Can't wait to read all about it when you return.

Thanks Cherie. It would be very cool to have my own cheering squad at the finish line. :cheer2: I'm sure I'll post updates and pictures on Facebook too while I'm there.

Have a great trip Carissa & good luck with the race!!! pixiedust:

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks Amy! I'll take all the luck I can get. :thumbsup2

Wow. I go away for a few days and come home to all of these wonderful new year wishes and good luck messages! :grouphug:

This weekend we drove up to Pennsyvlania and rang in the new year with my in-laws. I am very lucky that Chuck's niece's husband is a sports trainer. We talked a lot about the pain I was having and he was able to check me out. Turns out my right leg is a bit shorter than my left, which causes all sorts of problems when you run and don't make the proper adjustments with your shoes/feet. My right hip is turning in funky ways to compensate and that is causing my issues in my groin. I also have completely flat feet and over-pronate (which I already knew). He was able to give me a plan for this week to try and get myself in a better place for the half. Chances are I am still going to be in a good deal of pain during and after the race, but there's a slight chance it won't be too bad if I follow the stretching schedule he has me on. The good news is I know what is wrong and can work to get myself better after the race. :woohoo:

At this point my game plan is going to be to run as much of the half as I can (following my run/walk intervals) but if it gets to be too painful, I will walk. I'm going to try one more short trial run on Wednesday (hopefully outdoors now that our foot of snow is gone and Chuck has the week off) and see how I'm feeling. My "personal trainer" ;) also wants me to buy a pair of semi-rigid inserts (which will help with the over-pronating and the leg length difference) and wear them as much as I can over this week to get them broken in and to try them out in my running shoes. I'll be spending a lot of time using a foam roller, doing dynamic stretching, icing, and static stretching. Hopefully this will get me feeling a bit better for race day.

I will definitely check in before I leave on Friday morning and I'm sure it won't take me long to get the TR started once I'm home. :rolleyes1

I'm sorry you've been having so much pain. I'm sure the adrenaline will help you get through. I hope I'm lucky enough to meet you this weekend!

Amanda

I hope the tips he gave you helps this week so you can get through the race without too much pain. You have done so well in your training. I cant believe your weekend is almost here. Uh oh it means mine is getting even closer too.:rolleyes1

I am so glad you've gotten such good input and advice and hope the inserts can give you some relief. I can't wait to follow along on FB! Cheering you on from here, or actually from Germany lol but I'll be thinking of you! And checking FB :)

Wishing you all the best as you prepare for this big event. If it's a run/walk or a walk/run, either one is great. You've put a lot of time, effort, and commitment into this, and we will all be so proud of you when you cross the finish line :cheer2:, even if we aren't there in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter