My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

What are the seats like on custom power chairs? Are they like the ones you find on custom manuals (before you add your own cushion)?

When I MOVE TO FLORIDA in a few years, I’m looking into buying a Quantum (or something equivalent) in addition to my Fold and Go for all day and Disney use.
My daughter is on her 3rd custom power chair (2 Invacare and her current Permobil F5vs).
All of them have had aluminum seat pans with Velcro to attach the seat cushion.
The 2 Invacare models had Jay seat cushions with gel. The Permobil has a Roho air seat - it was what was recommended since the chair allows a lot of changes in positions- including standing. The seating system (back, headrest and seat cushion) on the Permobil is also vehicle crash tested, which is important for my daughter because transferring her out of her wheelchair into a car/van seat is really difficult.

Last edited:
Do you guys have any recommendations for a side bag with a cup holder that’ll work for the OG HD model?

I use a modified Robocup (I transfer it between Angus and Figgy) and have had it for more than 5 years now, and still love it!

Having said that, I did find a couple of bags on Amazon that had cupholder "pockets" - I just searched "wheelchair cup holder bag" (no quotes) from the main Amazon page, and found a couple of the pretty easily. I tend to fold the arms up out of the way when transferring so often that I don't put a bag on - I'm always afraid everything would just fall out of it!

Do you have pictures of it installed?

I have pictures of the Robocup installed on Angus - and they show the "modification" - which was my hubby cutting off the bottom (skinnier) section of the Robocup - it not only wasn't needed, but the one remaining clamp is more than sufficient to hold even 2 of the heavy stainless Resort tumblers.

You guys in this thread are very knowledgeable about mobility devices-may I ask some questions on behalf of my dad?

So, Dad has Parkinson's, and is finally open to a mobility device. His dr (and me, his daughter!) have been wanting him to have one for some time, because at this point, walking any distance is fatiguing and he has sort of stopped being willing to go anywhere-which is not good mentally or physically. He uses a rollator in the house/yard and when Mom takes him to appts.

I'm trying to help Mom and Dad navigate this-none of us are familiar with mobility devices, other than the one ECV I rented him in 2012 when I took them to Disney. I don't think he could drive that anymore, I don't think he can turn his head or arms enough and I worry that he would fall off. I would think that a powerchair is the way to go? This Fold n Go looks awesome, at least to me but I'm not an wheelchair user so I don't know.

Here are his stats-

Has Parkinsons, does not stand up straight and has limited neck mobility but can use hands (he uses a computer mouse just fine). Sitting down and getting up are not easy for him. Mentally, sharp.

Not a big guy.

A device would need to be able to be transported, so we could take him places. Mom has a Kia Soul. She's able to lift some, but I don't want her lifting heavy stuff a lot. She's open to a hitch on her car if needed.

They have Medicare and the extra whatever it's called, United Healthcare. Primary dr wants to write a prescription. In that case, do you just pick your own or do they tell you what brand?

I thought about renting the Fold N Go for him to try, but I hesitate because I don't know if it's appropriate for him, watching the videos for it the people using it seem to be in better physical shape than he is. Stupid question here-could he fall out of it?

We are really starting from scratch here as far as educating ourselves about mobility devices. I appreciate any input!

You guys in this thread are very knowledgeable about mobility devices-may I ask some questions on behalf of my dad?

So, Dad has Parkinson's, and is finally open to a mobility device. His dr (and me, his daughter!) have been wanting him to have one for some time, because at this point, walking any distance is fatiguing and he has sort of stopped being willing to go anywhere-which is not good mentally or physically. He uses a rollator in the house/yard and when Mom takes him to appts.

I'm trying to help Mom and Dad navigate this-none of us are familiar with mobility devices, other than the one ECV I rented him in 2012 when I took them to Disney. I don't think he could drive that anymore, I don't think he can turn his head or arms enough and I worry that he would fall off. I would think that a powerchair is the way to go? This Fold n Go looks awesome, at least to me but I'm not an wheelchair user so I don't know.

Here are his stats-

Has Parkinsons, does not stand up straight and has limited neck mobility but can use hands (he uses a computer mouse just fine). Sitting down and getting up are not easy for him. Mentally, sharp.

There is a head support. It isn’t as elaborate as the headrests on other powerchairs though.
2CA92557-B2EE-4C14-B7A3-759593E5A707.jpeg

A device would need to be able to be transported, so we could take him places. Mom has a Kia Soul. She's able to lift some, but I don't want her lifting heavy stuff a lot. She's open to a hitch on her car if needed.

You might have to fold down the backseats in order to get the chair in/out. No hitch will be needed if you get the lift that just came out.
B21D7678-8559-44B0-A313-478BFE57A6D5.jpeg

They have Medicare and the extra whatever it's called, United Healthcare. Primary dr wants to write a prescription. In that case, do you just pick your own or do they tell you what brand?

Bad news is, Medicare won’t cover chairs like Fold and Go. They consider it a “Recreational Device” and won’t cover it. They’ll cover the cost of a regular powerchair, though. However, they are REALLY CHOOSY in saying who gets their chair covered and who has to pay full price out of pocket. If the person needs an elaborate rehab powerchair with tilt, recline, powered legrests, and a lift, the price can skyrocket to over $50,000! (Looking at you, Permie.)

Medicare also might dictate what make/model of powerchair you’re able to get. If that specific one doesn’t meet your needs, you have to fight in order to get one that DOES.

I thought about renting the Fold N Go for him to try, but I hesitate because I don't know if it's appropriate for him, watching the videos for it the people using it seem to be in better physical shape than he is. Stupid question here-could he fall out of it?

If he needs something like trunk supports to help him sit upright, then he’ll probably need a more custom chair to suit his needs. But if he doesn‘t, then that’s fine too. It does come with a seatbelt, but nothing like a chest harness.

Hope this helps!

It does help, thank you!!!

Sounds like we have a learning curve, particularly when it comes to the Medicare part. He has an appt coming up shortly where hopefully he will leave with the script.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a side bag with a cup holder that’ll work for the OG HD model?

This is what I just got for cupholders to try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JW79V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I attached them to each side of the back frame so that they sit right behind my elbows on each side. I’ve tried both the robocup and Fold&Go’s cup holder but didn’t necessarily like the extra width they added when I was trying to get through narrow areas. I was able to attach right around the back frame on each side but your heavy duty model may be different, though. Is there any gap between the back cushion and the frame to strap something like this one? B6563CC2-23B7-420D-BE3A-1A2CCB27AFDC.jpeg

For a side bag, I’ve used one that velcroed around the armrest but I didn’t like it much. The velcro irritated my arm and would sometimes come loose without me noticing it. So if you find a good one please post it. I’ve been using a small crossbody bag that basically sits in my lap which makes me feel secure knowing it can’t fall. The strap can also convert it to a waist pack style.

Here are his stats-

Not a big guy.

We are really starting from scratch here as far as educating ourselves about mobility devices. I appreciate any input!

I have a Kia Soul, and my (folded) F&G fits in the back, with both seats down. My family has to lift it in and out for me now, but my daughter got a fold out bumper protector, and she rests the chair against the bumper protector, and then just picks it up down by the wheels, and slides it up and into the back.

See @Groot's excellent post (back up there) for everything else; the only other thing I could think to add is that to let your Dad know that driving a power chair is different than an ECV; there can be a little bit of a learning curve.

Yes, I would really like my Dad to have a chance to try a powerchair- I 'think' it's a better fit for him than an ECV, but I'm just guessing, due to his issues with moving his head, neck and arms.

This Parkinsons, after being slow progressing for over a decade, is picking up, truthfully it's far along :( and I'm just wanting him to have the best experiences he can while he possibly can. Hopefully, a mobility device will help with that!

This is what I just got for cupholders to try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JW79V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I attached them to each side of the back frame so that they sit right behind my elbows on each side. I’ve tried both the robocup and Fold&Go’s cup holder but didn’t necessarily like the extra width they added when I was trying to get through narrow areas. I was able to attach right around the back frame on each side but your heavy duty model may be different, though. Is there any gap between the back cushion and the frame to strap something like this one? View attachment 565570

No, I have the old HD model that doesn’t have a gap in the backrest side.

The doctor should refer him to a rehabilitation or physical therapy center to do the wheelchair evaluation paperwork that is required by Medicare. I have Medicare and the AARP (United Health Care) supplemental insurance. Between the two the entire $20,00+ cost of my new chair was covered. If at all possible get the referral to a really good facility. A rehab hospital is an excellent choice, I went through Mary Free Bed in Grand Rapids, MI. The facility will evaluate him and discuss how he is going to transport the chair and then order a specific chair for him. That facility will ask you what supplier you want to use so do your research and see who is in your area and what their reviews are and you can ask the evaluating facility what they recommend.

For my first chair I went to a close by general physical therapy group and took the first supplier on the list. The chair was never exactly right and I used it for more than 5 years before being eligible to replace it. Turns out that first chair was 4 inches to short for my height and the head rest was 6 inches too short to actually support my head.

If your Mom is willing to get a trailer hitch, you may have more options for transporting a heavier chair that support him better and that Medicare will approve. He takes the chair to vehicle and transfers to a seat, then she puts the chair on the rear mounted lift, secures it and drives off. Medicare will not pay for the lift or modification to a vehicle to transport a chair.

Until I read this thread, I didn't know wheelchairs could cost as much as cars!

Thanks Tiggerish-I just googled wheelchair evaluations in our area and a hospital here that has a well regarded OT program, AND his dr is affiliated with, does them!

Talked to Mom and invited her and Dad to go with me to the Family Cafe event with me and little DD (who has ASD) in June. Supposedly there is a big exhibit hall with many vendors and Dad can see and touch stuff. We had planned to go last year, but Covid cancelled it.

Until I read this thread, I didn't know wheelchairs could cost as much as cars!

Yup. I usually go on the manufacturer’s website (Quantum, Quickie, Permie, etc.) and look at the order form for the model I’m interested in and “build” my dream chair from there and add up the prices for the different options I want.

Okay, after much consideration, I’ve decided that an armrest pouch would work the best for me, any recommendations?

Okay, after much consideration, I’ve decided that an armrest pouch would work the best for me, any recommendations?

I have never used one (yet) but I would look at how it attaches, and how that will correlate to your chair - and how you use your chair. I tend to flip up both armrests when I get in/out, so an armrest pouch might not be the best thing for me. 😉

I do know that wheelchair armrest pouches have a lot in common with "walker bags" for Rollators/walkers - so that might give you further options to consider!

I have never used one (yet) but I would look at how it attaches, and how that will correlate to your chair - and how you use your chair. I tend to flip up both armrests when I get in/out, so an armrest pouch might not be the best thing for me. 😉

I do know that wheelchair armrest pouches have a lot in common with "walker bags" for Rollators/walkers - so that might give you further options to consider!

Okay, now, (don’t yell at me), but I’m deciding to go back with the robocup. Just 1 question: what’s the total length from the top of the 1st clamp to the bottom of the 2nd clamp?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter