Need some opinions on SPring 2019....planning ahead!

When would YOU go?

• I would pull the kids from school and go in May!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I would go during Spring Break!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Try another time during school that is a compromise. (Miss school, but have more time to catch up!)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

204charity

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Canadians, I am looking ahead at booking a trip for my 40th Birthday in Spring 2019. I have 2 options and am trying to get some opinions from fellow Canadians on what you think I should do, or at the very least - what YOU would do! LOL

Just a bit about our family, I have a husband and two kids - ages 11 & 16 at the time of the trip (Grade 6 & 11) I turn 40 in May.

Option #1) Spring Break -
Pros: kids don't miss school, not as hot
Cons: Peak season, aka more $$ for flights and rooms, more crowds

Option #2) May 11-18
Pros: There for my ACTUAL 40th birthday, (DS' 12th birthday too) not as crazy of crowds, maybe more afforadable flights and rooms as it's not a "peak" week?
Cons: Kids miss 5 days of school, it will likely be VERY hot

So, in Canada - missing a week of school will not result in a fine or whatever, but we will of coarse have to deal with DD missing 10 classes of each subject in just 5 short days....and DS, well, it doesn't matter if he misses a week of grade 6. He'll catch up just fine.....the idea of dealing with crazy crowds really freaks me out - but I don't want heatstroke in May either! LOL

What would you do???!!!

I can't speak to the school situation as I find that is a personal decision and depends on the particular child and their educational needs.

However weather wise.. we've been a little later than that in May twice and it was beautiful. Not too humid and perfect swimming weather. I only remember feeling too hot standing around in Epcot in the sun , on the pavement, while we debated what to do. If you manage not to have your family planning discussions out in the sun at the hottest point of the day.. you should be fine. :rotfl:

I took my oldest DS out of school in Grade 9 for a week in May. His teachers were really supportive and gave us the work he would miss ahead of time. We worked at it the last two weeks of April and on the plane. It was a lot of material. It would really depend on the classes your DD has that term as to whether or not you can manage.

Personally, after doing all the work (and it was Grade 9) I decided I wouldn't take the other boys out of school during high school years. But that's just me. We went to Disney late August, before they headed back. While it was hot we still enjoyed our time. Discounts were great at that time of the year.

Now I've got two DS in the work force and one who is in college. We head to Disney during the first two weeks of May. It's after tax season for the DS who's an accountant and before summer work begins and exams are over for the other DS. I'm still juggling their schedules.

Last edited:
We've taken the kids to WDW five times, and each time we've gone in May, taking advantage of the Victoria Day long weekend. But more importantly we love the hot, sunny weather with little to no rain we've always had in May.

We've never had any issues pulling them out of school, my kids are fortunately good students and don't have any issues catching up. In fact, when my 10 yr old son returned back from our trip this year, his classmates told him he missed nothing, lol. And he seriously hadn't.

However, my daughter is now in grade 8 and we know there will be a lot going on at school in May that she shouldn't miss both academically and activity related so we will need to decide if we skip 2018 or go once schools out but not looking forward to the wet July-August weather.

Weather during spring break is usually very pleasant.

I wouldn't take a child out of grade 11 in May for 10 days. That's, what, a month or less before finals? There isn't much catch-up time. If you do decide to go that route, see if you can work with the teacher to get ahead in the subjects and maybe even have a tutor? Grade 11 marks are the start of the ones universities look at.

I can't speak to the school situation as I find that is a personal decision and depends on the particular child and their educational needs.

However weather wise.. we've been a little later than that in May twice and it was beautiful. Not too humid and perfect swimming weather. I only remember feeling too hot standing around in Epcot in the sun , on the pavement, while we debated what to do. If you manage not to have your family planning discussions out in the sun at the hottest point of the day.. you should be fine. :rotfl:

LOL I love this! SO funny!! I am a comando Disney-traveller, so we will have a trip plan all worked out ahead of time. So, NO family discussions at all. LOL (Yes, I'm the bossy one of the family!)

Weather during spring break is usually very pleasant.

I wouldn't take a child out of grade 11 in May for 10 days. That's, what, a month or less before finals? There isn't much catch-up time. If you do decide to go that route, see if you can work with the teacher to get ahead in the subjects and maybe even have a tutor? Grade 11 marks are the start of the ones universities look at.

It is only 5 days of school, not 10. It's only a 2-day schedule rotation though. Usually you have 2 exam courses per term, so she would be missing 8 classes of her exam courses. Yeah....it's alot of school to miss a month before exams. Good call. As much as I like to say "Family comes first!" I just don't know if we can justify this......I could see missing a few days in February - beginning of 2nd term. She would have PLENTY of time to get caught up before end of term. Spring Break seems like the LEAST stress for her, but is it more expensive that week than others?

We've taken the kids to WDW five times, and each time we've gone in May, taking advantage of the Victoria Day long weekend. But more importantly we love the hot, sunny weather with little to no rain we've always had in May.

We've never had any issues pulling them out of school, my kids are fortunately good students and don't have any issues catching up. In fact, when my 10 yr old son returned back from our trip this year, his classmates told him he missed nothing, lol. And he seriously hadn't.

However, my daughter is now in grade 8 and we know there will be a lot going on at school in May that she shouldn't miss both academically and activity related so we will need to decide if we skip 2018 or go once schools out but not looking forward to the wet July-August weather.

Yeah, I don't even bat an eyelash with elementary grades to be honest. Those classes are BEYOND easy to catch up on here. Even Jr High I was fine with her missing - now she's in High School and it FREAKS ME OUT!! I just don't want to set her up for failure because of a family vacation.

I took my oldest DS out of school in Grade 9 for a week in May. His teachers were really supportive and gave us the work he would miss ahead of time. We worked at it the last two weeks of April and on the plane. It was a lot of material. It would really depend on the classes your DD has that term as to whether or not you can manage.

Personally, after doing all the work (and it was Grade 9) I decided I wouldn't take the other boys out of school during high school years. But that's just me. We went to Disney late August, before they headed back. While it was hot we still enjoyed our time. Discounts were great at that time of the year.

Now I've got two DS in the work force and one who is in college. We head to Disney during the first two weeks of May. It's after tax season for the DS who's an accountant and before summer work begins and exams are over for the other DS. I'm still juggling their schedules.

I agree, I do feel her teachers would work with us to help her out, she is a remarkable student, with wonderful grades, but she works HARD at it. We won't know what classes she has term 2 until June of 2018......I guess that's ok. Ugh. SO much to think about! I think I will be like you - always planning around my kids. I wish I could be one of those parents that just says "screw it! We're going Adults-Only!!" LOL I couldn't do it without feeling horribly guility though I don't think......

I took my kids pout of school until grade 10, but that depends on you and your children.

As for the heat in May, you'll be fine. We survived late August last year, but May seemed great when we went to Star Wars Weekends a few years back.

I took my kids pout of school until grade 10, but that depends on you and your children.

I'm really starting to lean towards NOT pulling them for this trip. As much as I'd love to be at DW for my 40th, I have to put my DD's school first. I don't want to make it any harder on her than it already is. I'm an old lady, I can celebrate my birthday EARLY!

Have you ever been during Spring Break? Thoughts? I have been the week after Easter and didn't find it bad AT ALL. Easter in 2019 isn't until the very END of April, so I'm almost wondering if the last week of March won't be as bad.....

We have gone at March spring break for several years, now. My trick is to make rope drop, get in what I can, have a GOOD plan (I use Touring Plans) and do my FPPs in the afternoon. We stay off site, so we go home for supper, but you could take the afternoon off and go back in the evening. Everyone has strategies. I found the worst crowds seemed to be after 2pm. Going in the morning is great and cooler.

Price? Are you flying? Yeah, Air Canada likes their cut of the spring break surge, for sure. We drive. In fact, we rent a van and drive and it's still cheaper than flying (we're in Ontario). You can check flights from across the border and maybe get deals. No matter when you're flying, try to book opening day pricing, if you can. Also, since you're thinking so far ahead, look at the air prices for 2018 for a comparison. Watch them carefully to see when they like to offer deals. That way, you'll be prepared for the next year. Also, if you are considering a couple of days on either end of spring break (which is an easier time for kids to be absent), think about flying in on a Wed or out on a Mon or Tues. That seems to increase your chances of getting better pricing.

We have gone at March spring break for several years, now. My trick is to make rope drop, get in what I can, have a GOOD plan (I use Touring Plans) and do my FPPs in the afternoon. We stay off site, so we go home for supper, but you could take the afternoon off and go back in the evening. Everyone has strategies. I found the worst crowds seemed to be after 2pm. Going in the morning is great and cooler.

Price? Are you flying? Yeah, Air Canada likes their cut of the spring break surge, for sure. We drive. In fact, we rent a van and drive and it's still cheaper than flying (we're in Ontario). You can check flights from across the border and maybe get deals. No matter when you're flying, try to book opening day pricing, if you can. Also, since you're thinking so far ahead, look at the air prices for 2018 for a comparison. Watch them carefully to see when they like to offer deals. That way, you'll be prepared for the next year. Also, if you are considering a couple of days on either end of spring break (which is an easier time for kids to be absent), think about flying in on a Wed or out on a Mon or Tues. That seems to increase your chances of getting better pricing.

Ok, good to know you continue to go in March and enjoy it! I went in April last time, it was the week after Easter and I didn't find it overly "busy" but I had a very detailed plan, including where to dine for QS restaurants (No ADR's for us!) etc. We even had a day with both waterparks to visit. LOL (see trip report below!) I think we would definately do rope drop every day, and do the hotel room for the afternoon thing/supper time for sure. Thinking of staying at POR, but honestly, if we are going during Spring Break, we may do Coronado Springs Resort instead. (Maybe a bit quieter in terms of clientelle?)

Yes, we live in Winnipeg and would be flying for sure! We will be paying for our flights with Airmiles. I would book those ASAP for sure! Just cause I wouldn't want to lose out on seats.

Airmiles for our park tickets maybe too, but likely not...they don't seem to be worth the amount of airmiles to me. (More airmilse for our park tickets than our flights?!)

THANK YOU for your reply btw. I really do appreciate the suggestions. Spring Break has always scared me, but missing a week of Grade 11 seems to scare me more! LOL

As a high school teacher, I would say grade 11 is a tough year to miss days for a vacation. Some students get offered early acceptance to university based on their grade 11 marks - not all the time, but occasionally...just another thing to consider. On the other hand, if she has a "light" semester then it wouldn't be too bad.

As a high school teacher, I would say grade 11 is a tough year to miss days for a vacation. Some students get offered early acceptance to university based on their grade 11 marks - not all the time, but occasionally...just another thing to consider. On the other hand, if she has a "light" semester then it wouldn't be too bad.

Yes, this is why I'm so glad I posted!! This is one of those things I wouldn't have thought of! I think I've decided to brave the crowds of Spring Break.

We drive. In fact, we rent a van and drive and it's still cheaper than flying (we're in Ontario).

I've seen a couple of people mention they rent a vehicle and drive it round-trip to Florida. How do you get a rental van cheaper? I checked out a few places for two weeks mid-April 2018 but it's about $1,300 plus insurance daily for a van. That's not cheaper than the current flights for the same dates. Friends want to drive to FLL. If I could rent at a decent price instead of using our vehicle, that would be nice. When I've rented a vehicle in the past we've gone with Enterprise lately as it includes unlimited kms.

By the way, how much do you remember spending in gas round-trip to Florida?

First, for what it's worth, I'm using Costco to rent and will get 2% back for my executive membership.

Our local Enterprise has a van for $1265 for 12 days next spring, but if I am willing to drive the half hour to the airport (Toronto airport), I can get that same Enterprise van for $725. Both are with unlimited mileage. As for gas, we found the Dodge Caravans have been great on fuel economy. Maybe $400? Not sure, as DH does that part. Our stops at gas stations aren't all for gas. For us it's 2 nights in a hotel on the way down and one on the way back (we take our time on the way down).

So could we have gotten A/C flights for that? Only in the opening week and only if we went those same 12 days, which would mean an extra 4 days in Orlando hotels, along with food and cost of doing things those days (ie extra WDW tickets or shopping). We did that last year and those extra 4 days cost us nearly $3000 (but we did do 1 day at the Contemporary for over $750, so that was unusual), not including the $3000+ airfare.

Airfare (from Canada) this year for the actual days I'd want (not the extra days for driving or to get cheaper airfare) is now over $4000 and was always very close to that. That's a Friday to Sunday a week later. When Jet Blue and Southwest put out their prices, I could have done better, like $2000USD, but then we'd be driving to Buffalo and leaving a car there, possibly overnighting in a hotel, depending on the flights. And the dollar was lower when I was making that decision.

But no matter what, if you're driving, make sure you know what kind of roads you'll be on. We do go through the mountains, but we've been pretty lucky about missing storms. My family used to travel every March from Winnipeg to Florida when I was a kid, and then, even more recently. But you can have any kind of weather from winter storms to flooding at that time of year. It never stopped my Dad, but you have to be prepared for that. Watch the weather forecasts and be prepared to change up your route, if you have to.

Yes, this is why I'm so glad I posted!! This is one of those things I wouldn't have thought of! I think I've decided to brave the crowds of Spring Break.
FWIW I braved the spring break crowds a few years ago, after always going last week of Sept. I was pleasantly surprised when we went. The only park that had larger crowds was MK. But with a good plan, it was no problem. We have gone back every March break since and the same. Have fun.

OP, another thing to consider is how your daughter would feel about missing school in May? I don't think you've told us. You've said that the idea scares you, and that you think it would cause her stress... but does she feel the same way?

If it weren't for the school thing, I think May would be a pretty easy call. But I agree with others that how you feel about pulling kids from school is a pretty individual thing. We choose not to (even in elementary school - my kids are in grades 4 and 7 now), but it's not a philosophical thing, or even worry over their academic performance. Both are strong students, way ahead of grade level, and it's not going to impact them in the long run. But they are in an independent school, and their school calendar is pretty packed. Invariably they will miss stuff if they're not there, both academic and enrichment activities, and *they* don't like that. They also don't like being behind, or doing homework on vacation, and one of those things is bound to happen if they're missing school. So we just don't, or not for more than a day or two at most. It does help that they get a bit more vacation time than most kids, so we have more school vacation days to work with.

When does March Break usually fall in Winnipeg? Mid-March can be pretty busy at WDW, but if you are able to go earlier in the month (lucky Quebec students!) or later in March during a year were Easter falls later in April, it should be a bit better. The second week in March is usually break time for both Ontario and Texas (amongst others), and last year Florida fell during that week as well (looks like Florida is the third week in March this year). You mentioned the last week in March in one of your posts; I think that would likely be better than mid-month.

Hi, we have been to Orlando during March Break over 10 times. Every year we went someone would tell us we were crazy! ie Too busy, too costly etc. They were some of the best family vacations we ever had! Planning and researching is the key! You are doing great on some early planning! Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter