Need to vent! School Days Missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And honestly if our school had some sort of crazy rule that demonstrated they were more interested in making sure I did what they told me than in whether or not my child was demonstrating academic competency, well let's just say we'd be high-tailing it out of that school in a hurry.

:)

You shouldn't necessarily assume it's a rule from the school. A lot of the attendance policies come down from the state. Depending, of course, on the state.

You shouldn't necessarily assume it's a rule from the school. A lot of the attendance policies come down from the state. Depending, of course, on the state.

Actually all this talk had me curious so I checked our district's website for full disclosure. For our 2 elementary schools there is no set 'cap' on the number of absences (excused or unexcused) allowed and the need for 'make-up work' is determined by the child's teacher. In our middle school there is also no set cap on the number of absences allowed and, again, there is no differentiation between 'excused' and 'unexcused' absences. At the middle school level however make-up work is expected to be completed. In our high school students are allowed 10 absences per full year class/5 per half year. So actually that could mean more than 10 days a year since classes don't actually meet 5X a week (our school has longer class sessions 2-3X per week). Again absences are not subdivided according to whether they are excused or unexcused. An absence is simply an absence and aphone call the morning of the absence followed by a note from home is all that is necessary - no doctor's notes, no obituaries, no nothin'. While it does say that loss of credit "may" occur if a student exceeds the 10/5 day policy, it also goes on to say that this decision can be appealed to the principal. What a breath of fresh air. Apparently our schools use alittle old-fashioned common sense:)

Actually all this talk had me curious so I checked our district's website for full disclosure. For our 2 elementary schools there is no set 'cap' on the number of absences (excused or unexcused) allowed and the need for 'make-up work' is determined by the child's teacher. In our middle school there is also no set cap on the number of absences allowed and, again, there is no differentiation between 'excused' and 'unexcused' absences. At the middle school level however make-up work is expected to be completed. In our high school students are allowed 10 absences per full year class/5 per half year. So actually that could mean more than 10 days a year since classes don't actually meet 5X a week (our school has longer class sessions 2-3X per week). Again absences are not subdivided according to whether they are excused or unexcused. An absence is simply an absence and aphone call the morning of the absence followed by a note from home is all that is necessary - no doctor's notes, no obituaries, no nothin'. While it does say that loss of credit "may" occur if a student exceeds the 10/5 day policy, it also goes on to say that this decision can be appealed to the principal. What a breath of fresh air. Apparently our schools use alittle old-fashioned common sense:)

Districts in Massachusetts are run very differently. In my town, a note from a parent does not necessarily mean it is an excused absence. If you send in a note 100 days do you think they should all be excused because you are the parent? I think rules and structure are good. Otherwise, all hell will break loose and we'd have a very unedumacated society. I send my DD to a private school and they have a different handbook than public. They do not specify in K-8 how many days can be missed. They just state that vacation while school is in session is strongly discouraged. All work class/homework is to be made up upon return. Zeros are given for any quiz/test. Two children stayed back in 1st grade. One was just not getting it. Another went on vacation for 3 weeks and just couldn't get caught up. I really don't understand the "rules are not for me" mentality. I don't care is they have an A or a F. They should abide by the same rules. No student is more "special" than the other.

Districts in Massachusetts are run very differently. In my town, a note from a parent does not necessarily mean it is an excused absence. If you send in a note 100 days do you think they should all be excused because you are the parent? I think rules and structure are good. Otherwise, all hell will break loose and we'd have a very unedumacated society. I send my DD to a private school and they have a different handbook than public. They do not specify in K-8 how many days can be missed. They just state that vacation while school is in session is strongly discouraged. All work class/homework is to be made up upon return. Zeros are given for any quiz/test. Two children stayed back in 1st grade. One was just not getting it. Another went on vacation for 3 weeks and just couldn't get caught up. I really don't understand the "rules are not for me" mentality. I don't care is they have an A or a F. They should abide by the same rules. No student is more "special" than the other.

I hope you were being facetious but just in case................Did I ever suggest that if a parent sends in a note for an absence of a 100 days that they should be excused because they are the parent? :confused3 I'd say that falls under the realm of 'common sense' wouldn't you? It's called making decisions based on individual circumstances and it really is a great way to make decisions. While I never denied certain rules of play are necessary and make perfect sense, as far as such blanket policies are concerned.............just say no. More often than not they're simply a cop out for lazy administrators who are unfortunately sometimes more interested in protecting their sense of superiority than in educating our children.

Actually I'm not sure why citing the policies for our particular district got you going. I did specifically state they were the policies of "my" district. I can only feel sorry for those who are dealing with Big Brother.

And for the record no one is saying their "special children" should be exempt from the "rule" that everyone else must follow. Rather they are saying there should be no rule period and therefore it should apply to no one. You are right, my children are no more special than yours in this regard. Therefore, should you decide to 'challenge' such a policy and take your family on a vacation while school is in session, you'll get nothing but support from this side of the fence :)

Honestly, there really should be a rule here that people must demonstrate competence in the area of reading comprehension before they are allowed to comment on other peoples' posts. :laughing:

Did I ever suggest that if a parent sends in a note for an absence of a 100 days that they should be excused because they are the parent? :confused3 I'd say that falls under the realm of 'common sense' wouldn't you?

I would think 10 days in a row would fall under the "relm of common sense" but apparently you don't agree.

Can't you just continue to try and make your point without stooping to insults? Or are you running out of anything meaningful to say?

WOW WOW WOW!
I am sitting here reading this.... I find it amazing that people want to argue. :confused3
The policy is the policy! Its not like arguing about it is gonna change it. NEWS FLASH!!! Insulting someone online doesnt change the policies either. There is no way someone can know every school, city, county and state policy.

Each school system is different, private schools SEEM more lax the public.
Some schools let you make up the work, others give the kids zeros.
Some schools with excuse the absence, while others will not.

if YOU decide to take your kids out of school. check the policy first. At that point deal with YOUR adult decisions..

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 well said!

I hope you were being facetious but just in case................Did I ever suggest that if a parent sends in a note for an absence of a 100 days that they should be excused because they are the parent? :confused3 I'd say that falls under the realm of 'common sense' wouldn't you? It's called making decisions based on individual circumstances and it really is a great way to make decisions. While I agree that some degree of structure is good and certain rules of play will always be necessary but blanket policies? They're a cop out for lazy administrators who are sometimes more interested in protecting their sense of superiority than in educating our children.

All I did was cite the policies for our district. If you don't think they are strict enough I suggest you take it up with them not me.

And for the record no one is saying their "special children" should be exempt from the "rule" that everyone else must follow. Rather they are saying there should be no rule period and therefore it should apply to no one. You are right, my children are no more special than yours in this regard. Therefore, should you decide to 'challenge' such a policy and take your family on a vacation while school is in session, you'll get nothing but support from this side of the fence :)

Honestly, there really should be a rule here that people must demonstrate competence in the area of reading comprehension before are allowed to comment on other peoples' posts. :laughing:

The "you" wasn't specifically directed at you. I just read a lot of posts where parents said their child can miss when they see fit. Personally, I don't care what your school district says. I only care about the one my children attend. What you do is your own business. There is no need to 'challenge' such a policy as there are no specific # of days stated. I am pulling my child out for a vacation but I am within the guidelines. I investigated school in great detail before I sent my DD. I wanted to choose one whose handbook I agreed with. :laughing:

I hesitate to jump in here, so I'm just going to give information, rather than opinions...My ds attends the oldest public school in the United States (375 years old!), and if he misses more than 3 days a semester he automatically fails that grade. Just to put it in perspective...we chose this school and worked diligently as a family to have him qualify for entry. We knew the rules, and we will live by them. My ds had been in private school until this year, and we also knew the rules at his previous school, and lived by them as well. He could have missed more days and not failed there, but he would not have access to the caliber of education he has at his new, public school.

I should add that this is not the policy for the entire school district, my son is in a school with a rigorous curriculum and very competitive entrance standards. Everything about this school is more intensive, so I suppose the attendance standards also fall under that category.

Maria :upsidedow

I would think 10 days in a row would fall under the "relm of common sense" but apparently you don't agree.

Can't you just continue to try and make your point without stooping to insults? Or are you running out of anything meaningful to say?

How exactly is that an insult? I've been talking about common sense all along. That's kind of the crux of my argument isn't it? Using common sense as opposed to looking to the 'handbook' to make every decision. I did in no way suggest the pp didn't have common sense if that's what you are trying to imply. In fact as I reread my posts (and I do many times in an attempt to make sure they come across in the manner in which I intend) I read nothing that was intended as an insult. Sarcasm? Yup, that's me. Maybe even a bit of back-handed humor along the way. But insults? No.

And by the way, no, I never did say that 10 days in a row would not be cause for a moment of pause. I'm not saying that that a family should, but I'm not saying that they shouldn't. Depends. It was the OP that was talking about two weeks. And they are her kids aren't they? She's not planning on taking my kids out of school for two weeks is she :eek:

The "you" wasn't specifically directed at you. I just read a lot of posts where parents said their child can miss when they see fit. Personally, I don't care what your school district says. I only care about the one my children attend. What you do is your own business. There is no need to 'challenge' such a policy as there are no specific # of days stated. I am pulling my child out for a vacation but I am within the guidelines. I investigated school in great detail before I sent my DD. I wanted to choose one whose handbook I agreed with. :laughing:

My apologies. I assumed since you quoted my post you were 'talking' to me directly. I've been pretty much carrying this puppy of late. Can't pull myself away for some reason. I promised myself I'd stop participating as soon as people stopped quoting me :laughing:

(and btw...for the record I honestly was NOT trying to imply you had no common sense :))

Honestly, there really should be a rule here that people must demonstrate competence in the area of reading comprehension before they are allowed to comment on other peoples' posts. :laughing:

How exactly is that an insult? I've been talking about common sense all along. That's kind of the crux of my argument isn't it? Using common sense as opposed to looking to the 'handbook' to make every decision. I did in no way suggest the pp didn't have common sense if that's what you are trying to imply. Please.

And by the way, no, I never did say that 10 days in a row would not be cause for a moment of pause. It was the OP that was talking about two weeks. And they are her kids aren't they? She's not taking my kids out of school for two weeks is she :eek:

I could be wrong but I'm guessing the insult she was referring to was the above quote. :) It is awfully rude to imply that other people don't have good reading comprehension.

I'm also guessing that her point was that a common sense approach won't work because people will differ in what they feel is common sense. Some people will think that ten days absence is excessive, others will feel it's acceptable. That's why it's important for the school system to come up with a policy and enforce it for everyone. That's also why it's important for those who feel the policy is too restrictive to try to get the school system to change the policy.

I apologize if this has been answered, I'm behind a few pages...

A was 90 -100; B 80 - 89; C 70 - 79 etc. Different parts of the country simply cannot have vastly different scoring standards for high school and college/graduate school so I don't know what to tell you. How the heck could post-secondary schools compare incoming applicants? It'd be like comparing apples to oranges.
(

Most transcripts have at the bottom their grading scale - what constitutes an A, etc. (ie, a key, a legend).

Also, many high schools have gone away from a traditional A, B... grading scale to a pure percentage for exactly that reason.

They also look at class ranking - so they eliminate the apples to oranges effect since each student in each school is graded uniformly.

In college admissions, they also know what high schools are ranked higher and which are ranked lower so that a student who is in the top 30% of his class from a higher ranked school may be granted admission while a student in the top 20% of a lower ranked school may not. Can I provide an example? No, because it is confidential, but since I worked in admissions, I saw it.

And honestly....does anyone really think parents could petition to change a policy such as this? No way. It's really all about the control remember

yes!!! I go to school board meetings, I go to committee meetings - they have a committee that reviews every single policy in the handbook every few years. (some more often than others). We have had policy changes mid-stream that parents have fought - AND WON!

Do I "relinquish" control ? No. Do I respect the policies and procedures ? Yes.

Ironically, I do take my kids out for a vacation. Disney? Not for 10 days. Last year, we missed the 2nd to last week of school for Paris and London. Since it was more than 5 days (it was 7 days), I had to get superintendent approval so it wasn't unexcused. I asked him in advance of booking and he said, 'have a great trip!'. Did my kids learn more on our trip than they would have cleaning out their desk ? Absolutely!

caveat: Mine are young still, so less is missed than in high school.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing the insult she was referring to was the above quote. :) It is awfully rude to imply that other people don't have good reading comprehension.

I'm also guessing that her point was that a common sense approach won't work because people will differ in what they feel is common sense. Some people will think that ten days absence is excessive, others will feel it's acceptable. That's why it's important for the school system to come up with a policy and enforce it for everyone. That's also why it's important for those who feel the policy is too restrictive to try to get the school system to change the policy.

OOOPs that's what I call 'back-handed humor' (hence the decision to use the 'laughing' emoticon as opposed to the 'eye rolling' emoticon) and it wasn't a comment that was intended to be directed only to one person. I meant it.............in general. People simply are not reading posts carefully before they respond. They get so hot under the collar by one or two sentences that they often gloss over the rest. It's amazing how many times I've been accused of saying or thinking something I've never said or claimed to have thought. Gets really annoying, ykwim??????

As far as the issue of common sense not being common, again, I have to disagree. I think it works great as an excuse but it's really not true. Maybe if we started giving people credit for having some they'd surprise us and use it! No doubt guidelines should be set, yes, but beyond that cases should each be reviewed on an individual basis. Takes more time and effort, like I said before, but doing things correctly is never really easy is it?

I hesitate to jump in here, so I'm just going to give information, rather than opinions...My ds attends the oldest public school in the United States (375 years old!), and if he misses more than 3 days a semester he automatically fails that grade. Just to put it in perspective...we chose this school and worked diligently as a family to have him qualify for entry. We knew the rules, and we will live by them. My ds had been in private school until this year, and we also knew the rules at his previous school, and lived by them as well. He could have missed more days and not failed there, but he would not have access to the caliber of education he has at his new, public school.

I should add that this is not the policy for the entire school district, my son is in a school with a rigorous curriculum and very competitive entrance standards. Everything about this school is more intensive, so I suppose the attendance standards also fall under that category.

Maria :upsidedow

Just wanted to say congrats on that. What an awesome opportunity!

Honestly I don't even want to touch this one :lmao: I hear you but no, I'm not goin' there. Yes schools most certainly CAN start judging situations on a case by case basis but the truth is to do so would require too much time, energy and effort. Just too time consuming period. Much much easier to just make these ridiculous blanket policies. In my opinion that's the problem with society in general today. We are creating generations of people who don't even know how to think for themselves. Don't even understand the meaning of common sense. Defend it if you want. Not me. We are headed into scary unchartered territory with this way of thinking.

And I've never suggested that a school should excuse one child's absence while not excusing another's. I'm simply suggesting we should be letting the child's performance determine his fate. If a kid can go on a vacation and still keep up he should pass. If not he should fail. Seems pretty simple to me. Teachers can allow for make-up without any real increase in effort on their part. That's making a decision and accepting full responsibility for the consequences. Just failing a child because his family took him out for a vacation.................regardless of whether he knows the material or not...................that's just wrong.
Yes, It would be nice to be able to make decisions based on individual circumstances, but what are we supposed to do when we are court mandated to use blanket attendance ploicies. Based on lawsiut judgments it has ben legislated that if we are to be able to police the attendance of ANY student we must set a numerical cutoff for absences for ALL students and there can be no exceptions. We really are backed into a legal corner here. To make decisions based on individual circumstances would be breaking the law. We are required to hold ALL students to the same, quantified standard for attendance.
OMG are we kidding? Does anyone really think that schools teach children to think for themselves?????? (someone pick me up off the floor :eek:)

No disrespect intended but that is just scary.

And as far as all your questions re: the supposed books........I'm sorry but you clearly misunderstood what you read in my previous post. There was no suggestion that society should do away with formal education and rely solely on books for knowledge :confused3
I do my darndest to teach my students to think for themselves.I consider it my primary goal, over and above teaching content. EVERY good teacher shgould be. If yours are not, I would consider changing schools, becuase the good ones are focusing on critical thinking and reasoning. Yes, anyone can read from a book and, given enough study, learn to parrot what it says, but that doesn't mean they have a true understanding of the subject matter and can apply it to new and different situations. That is where the role of the teacher comes in.
I find it a bit sad thatr you were able to get a degree without goingto class. It would have never happened at my university. They recognized the vital role of the teacher in learning. Tests were not the book generated form tests. None above 200 level were ever multiple choice. Most were essay based and required critical thinking and application of the subject matter. I don't really know about advanced college courses in English and History but I can say for advanced math and science 99% of the world cannot achieve that just from reading a book about it.

Yes, It would be nice to be able to make decisions based on individual circumstances, but what are we supposed to do when we are court mandated to use blanket attendance ploicies. Based on lawsiut judgments it has ben legislated that if we are to be able to police the attendance of ANY student we must set a numerical cutoff for absences for ALL students and there can be no exceptions. We really are backed into a legal corner here. To make decisions based on individual circumstances would be breaking the law. We are required to hold ALL students to the same, quantified standard for attendance.

IDK know what else to say really. Obviously many districts across the nation (including mine) seem to manage fine without blanket policies so it is possible. Is there a bit of a truancy problem in your district? I guess I just don't get the lawsuit argument. If the kids are failing, they are failing. If they are passing, they are passing. Seems to me that attendance should be a seperate issue. Generally speaking a child who is a repetitive offender will end up digging his own grave, no policy required.

I do my darndest to teach my students to think for themselves.I consider it my primary goal, over and above teaching content. EVERY good teacher shgould be. If yours are not, I would consider changing schools, becuase the good ones are focusing on critical thinking and reasoning. Yes, anyone can read from a book and, given enough study, learn to parrot what it says, but that doesn't mean they have a true understanding of the subject matter and can apply it to new and different situations. That is where the role of the teacher comes in.

Perhaps our definition of 'critical thinking' and 'independent thinking' is not quite the same. I'm not referring to those cognitive linguistic skills generally referred to as critical thinking and reasoning in the curriculum. Sure all schools integrate the teaching of those skills into their lessons. No, I'm talking about something deeper than that.

I find it a bit sad thatr you were able to get a degree without goingto class. It would have never happened at my university. They recognized the vital role of the teacher in learning. Tests were not the book generated form tests. None above 200 level were ever multiple choice. Most were essay based and required critical thinking and application of the subject matter. I don't really know about advanced college courses in English and History but I can say for advanced math and science 99% of the world cannot achieve that just from reading a book about it.

Shudder if you will but it's true. And this is not a bottom of the barrel university that I went to (I'm referring only to my undergrad degree of course. Kind of hard to get a Masters Degree without going to class LOL). Keep in mind that we are talking about back in the early 80's though. And I may have exaggerated a tad if I said I never went to class. I did go to those classes that were small (freshman english. labs and those classes specifically related to speech/language pathology) but anything that took place in a large lecture hall with 200+ students (things like Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Logic, Research Methodology, Intro to Computers etc.)? Nope. I think it's probably a function of the subject matter. Anatomy and Physiology is Anatomy and Physiology no matter how you slice it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter