New 2018 TIcket Prices

Being an old math teacher, I like to play around with numbers.

So I took the difference in price on AP starting 1998 when the last park, AK,opened up. And compared it to the minimum wages increase. Trying the best to compare Mickeys to Mickeys.

1998 AP $288 to $299. 2018 AP $849. Percentage increase 185% to 195%.

1998 Minimum wages $5.75 hr, both fed and state. 2018 Minimum wages, Fed. $7.25, my state WA $11.50.
Percentage Increase Fed 26%, WA State 100%.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I'll add this to my "what did the CM do" list.

I know she had to call someone because the MM was linked to my resort but she did something and applied it to my AP purchase.

So I took the difference in price on AP starting 1998 when the last park, AK,opened up. And compared it to the minimum wages increase. Trying the best to compare Mickeys to Mickeys.

1998 Minimum wages $5.75 hr, both fed and state. 2018 Minimum wages, Fed. $7.25, my state WA $11.50.

Compare car prices.

Over the past 20 years, inflation has been low and wages for the middle and lower classes have equally been low or even lower than inflation.

Meanwhile, people on the upper end of the income spectrum have been very doing well.

Companies like Disney aren't interested in just matching inflation, they want to crush their numbers from the previous quarter year after year.

Thus, Disney is raising prices and continuing to make money targeting a more affluent crowd. Meanwhile, fans of the parks who used to be able to go are getting priced out.

This is all part of a shift in society as a whole. You'll notice that the mall that had Sears and JC Penney it in is going out of business, while Walmart and the fancy mall with the Apple Store in it is doing fine.

You'll notice that Disney hasn't built any new resort hotels in a while, but if finally building one, the Star Wars Hotel. This is rumored to cost $1,000 a night per guest with a 2-night minimum.

Thank you for doing the math. WA is an outlier. The Fed wage illustrates it perfectly. 26% increase in wages vs 190% increase in ticket prices. I bet if you calculated disposable income vs energy costs and the new staples (internet, cell phone) - the difference would be astounding.

Compare car prices.
Good idea Robo.

Average 1998 new car 18K, 2017/18 new car is $33K. Percentage increase about 83%

Average cost of 1998 NEW home $180K. End of 2017/18 NEW home $398K . Increase 121%:eek:

I was going to do a comparison on rent, but it is all over the board, all dependent where you live. So nevermind.

Disclaimer. I found all different amounts, so I tried to find an average. Now I have a headache.

Last edited:

I bet if you calculated disposable income vs energy costs and the new staples (internet, cell phone) - the difference would be astounding.

I would have not idea where to get that info,but totally agree with you. It would have to go up, since most of the energy using staples weren't around in 1998.... ok maybe those huge cell phones.

Good idea Robo.

Average 1998 new car 18K, 2017/18 new car is $33K. Percentage increase about 83%

Average cost of 1998 NEW home $180K. End of 2017/18 NEW home $398K . Increase 121%:eek:

OK. Compare the cost of college tuition.

OK. Compare the cost of college tuition.

My DH and I were having this conversation this morning!

State school in late 1985 = $1,800/yr.

Same school - 2018 = $14,000/yr

Both are straight in-state tuition charges with no extras. We were discussing it because we both feel that has been a huge push for everyone to get a degree despite the cost and the burden of the student loans.

We were also discussing the ability for either of us to earn enough $ to cover our tuition ($1,800) @ $4/hr. back then

Whereas, the current minimum wage of 7.25/hr. is not going to cover $14,000.

Last edited:
My DH and I were having this conversation this morning!

State school in late 1985 = $1,800/yr.

Same school - 2018 = $14,000/yr

Both are straight in-sate tuition charges with no extras. We were discussing it because we both feel that has been a huge push for everyone to get a degree despite the cost and the burden of the student loans.

We were also discussing the ability for either of us to earn enough $ to cover our tuition ($1,800) @ $4/hr. back then

Whereas, the current minimum wage of 7.25/hr. is not going to cover $14,000.

That's because its now easy to get massive government-backed loans for those all-important educations. If people had to pay for college out of their pocket, things would be different.

That's because its now easy to get massive government-backed loans for those all-important educations. If people had to pay for college out of their pocket, things would be different.

In 1985, I had a Pell Grant for $700 of the $1800.

1. Nope.
2. The exact amount of the upgrade MIGHT depend on when the UT ticket that you buy was minted (the date Disney sold it to UT.) "Old stock" vs "new stock.
I'm not going to gamble with your money, as I can't offer you the exact price.
So, until we can know more about how the current upgrade transactions are actually going to work,
planning to upgrade can be a price gamble.

Thank you, Robo! Great to know someone who is so helpful, and that you take the time to share with me and others when we ask questions! Definitely very helpful, so thanks again!

They actually made it fairly easy to get one in the early 80's, but that's besides the point. The real question is can we expect another price increase this year?

So I have a Gold Pass that we bought this past summer not planning on going during black out dates, but plans changed and now I'm going Easter Weekend/following week. I have to upgrade to Platinum once I get there but I see the cost for the platinum pass is cheaper once I log in to my MDE than it shows when I'm not logged in, so I'm assuming DVC Gold Pass holders get a discount still on the Platinum passes? Or am I looking at something totally wrong?

"Government backed loans" don't come even close to paying for a 4 year degree. Have you had a child go through college in the last 5-10 years? There are limits on what students are allowed to borrow, depending on what year they are in school. The max loan allowed for a senior is $7500 a year. That isn't going to cover much, even at a state school.

So I have a Gold Pass that we bought this past summer not planning on going during black out dates, but plans changed and now I'm going Easter Weekend/following week. I have to upgrade to Platinum once I get there but I see the cost for the platinum pass is cheaper once I log in to my MDE than it shows when I'm not logged in, so I'm assuming DVC Gold Pass holders get a discount still on the Platinum passes? Or am I looking at something totally wrong?

Are you up for renewal? That could be the renewal price

No, not until end of May is renewal. I plan to upgrade once I get to the parks since the tickets are already used. I'm just wondering what the price difference will be once I get there to upgrade it b/c it showed me one price of $849 for platinum but when I logged into my MDE it changed to $729 and I don't want to make any incorrect assumptions but I did think it was because I have a gold pass already so it would be the difference for what I paid for my Gold pass in May to the $729 that is the platinum pass cost listed on my MDE.

No, not until end of May is renewal. I plan to upgrade once I get to the parks since the tickets are already used. I'm just wondering what the price difference will be once I get there to upgrade it b/c it showed me one price of $849 for platinum but when I logged into my MDE it changed to $729 and I don't want to make any incorrect assumptions but I did think it was because I have a gold pass already so it would be the difference for what I paid for my Gold pass in May to the $729 that is the platinum pass cost listed on my MDE.
There is a discount for DVC owners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter