New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

If the rumor is true, then sometime in Nov of this year for the first steel cut.
I would say that is correct the 2nd Aida ships steel cutting was August 15th so about 3 days ago. So that means the ships to be delivered in 2020 will be in the main building hall by late November to early December, with meaning Triton 1 should have its steel cutting ceremony mid to late November

I would say that is correct the 2nd Aida ships steel cutting was August 15th so about 3 days ago. So that means the ships to be delivered in 2020 will be in the main building hall by late November to early December, with meaning Triton 1 should have its steel cutting ceremony mid to late November
True. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is the time frames. Using the Dream class as an example, it was roughly 2 years, from steel cut to maiden. That would put the nb in Nov or Dec of 21. Seems like an odd time for a maiden. Traditionally, theyve been the first 3 or 4 months of the year. Which would put it in 22. Now if MW is planning a shorter build, that may change things around a little but. I think shortest theyve done is 15 months. And considering DCL is supplying a lot of materials, like the stern characters, the gift shop characters, probably the ships hotel system electronics and pos it may be every bit of 18 months to build.

Another "rumor": One of the ships may port in Tokyo with a potential itinerary of Tokyo, Okinawa, Shanghai, Busan (Korea), Jeju Island (Korea) and Osaka (Japan). There would be 5 and 10 day routes. Not sure with the current uncertainties with Hong Kong if they will keep the Shanghai stop. I would love to see this type of route include Vietnam, Taiwan and/or Singapore. Again, this is only a "rumor" or what they contemplated a few years ago. Not sure if they decided to follow through but would be awesome! I could see one of the new ships being customized to include an Asian fast food venue on the open deck.

Last edited:
True. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is the time frames. Using the Dream class as an example, it was roughly 2 years, from steel cut to maiden. That would put the nb in Nov or Dec of 21. Seems like an odd time for a maiden. Traditionally, theyve been the first 3 or 4 months of the year. Which would put it in 22. Now if MW is planning a shorter build, that may change things around a little but. I think shortest theyve done is 15 months. And considering DCL is supplying a lot of materials, like the stern characters, the gift shop characters, probably the ships hotel system electronics and pos it may be every bit of 18 months to build.
Most likely, i would expect the delivery to be late December '21, with the maiden voyage from Port Canaveral being Mid January to early February '22

I also think that if a new ship is getting a larger indoor observation area for Alaskan cruises, I could definitely see one such ship on the West Coast with Mexico/Alaska/Pacific Coast/Canada most of the year and Asia in the summers.

Another "rumor": One of the ships may port in Tokyo with a potential itinerary of Tokyo, Okinawa, Shanghai, Busan (Korea), Jeju Island (Korea) and Osaka (Japan). There would be 5 and 10 day routes. Not sure with the current uncertainties with Hong Kong if they will keep the Shanghai stop. I would love to see this type of route include Vietnam, Taiwan and/or Singapore. Again, this is only a "rumor" or what they contemplated a few years ago. Not sure if they decided to follow through but would be awesome! I could see one of the new ships being customized to include an Asian fast food venue on the open deck.
Yep just a rumor. If you look at the 4 contracts that were signed this year, the ships dispositions have been settled up already. All 5 Dream and Improved Dream.class ships will be in Fl. 2 in Miami and 2 in PC (Specifically saying 2 of the new builds) with a 3rd ship to be named later. Most likely the 3rd big ship. Probably Fantasy. The 2 Magic class ships, Magic will be in Europe and probably Galveston with the Wonder doing NOLA and Alaska. So unfortunately no Asia, Austrailia etc for at least probably 10 years.

Yep just a rumor. If you look at the 4 contracts that were signed this year, the ships dispositions have been settled up already. All 5 Dream and Improved Dream.class ships will be in Fl. 2 in Miami and 2 in PC (Specifically saying 2 of the new builds) with a 3rd ship to be named later. Most likely the 3rd big ship. Probably Fantasy. The 2 Magic class ships, Magic will be in Europe and probably Galveston with the Wonder doing NOLA and Alaska. So unfortunately no Asia, Austrailia etc for at least probably 10 years.

So basically, same old same old :teeth: I have always doubted that Disney would sink the money into porting in Asia any time soon. Maybe they'll test the market with round-trips from somewhere else, but like truck1 said, they pretty commited to PC and Miami. I wonder if they will even go back to doing R/T to Hawaii in the next few years?

Last edited:
So basically, same old same old :teeth: I have always doubted that Disney would sink the money into porting in Asia any time soon. Maybe they'll test the market with round-trips from somewhere else, but like truck1 said, they pretty commited to PC and Miami. I wonder if they will even go back to doing R/T to Hawaii in the next few years?
Pretty much same stuff different day. Same itins different ports. R/t to Hi arent out of the question. But the Canal crossings are here probably for 5 years or so. I forget off hand what the contract lengths are for NOLA and Galveston. The writing is on the wall were Disneys loyalty lies. Carribean, Europe and Alaska. Eventually DCL may go to Asia, but I'm guessing not for at least 10 years. Unless they have options on ships they havent announced or exercised yet, and that can change things up quite a bit.In all seriousness, if you want to see what DCLs plans are, look to where the ships go. Carribean, Europe and Alaska. That's it They havent attempted anything past Hi. If you see one of the ships suddenly have an Asian itin, then expect to see a few more 1 offs. But until then.......

I read the same contract announcements, but that doesn’t mean the ships would be based in Florida all year. Granted, with the new Bahama site, DCL will maintain a strong hub in Florida, but not necessarily all year. This opens up the possibility of new cruise itineraries. Captain Henry indicated one of the classics ships might have some additional unique itineraries. And we could see a Dream class ship in Asia prior to 10 years.

I read the same contract announcements, but that doesn’t mean the ships would be based in Florida all year. Granted, with the new Bahama site, DCL will maintain a strong hub in Florida, but not necessarily all year. This opens up the possibility of new cruise itineraries. Captain Henry indicated one of the classics ships might have some additional unique itineraries. And we could see a Dream class ship in Asia prior to 10 years.
id really hope if any ship did Asia it wasn't the Dream, Fantasy, Wish, 6 and 7 because i feel like it would end up like how the NCL Joy ended up being back in the U.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter