NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karaoke?! :laughing:

I can't believe the pool bars close that early. :( We took this same late flight in October and were able to burgers and stuff by the pool at OKW.

Yes, based on the layout, about 1/2 of these rooms are on the outside wings, and would have the longer walk. Not so with the other 1/2. But that is true of any of the rooms at the Dolphin, especially in these wings.

Bichon Barb - As for restaurants, we like Kimonos for sushi. And it is open late, though they start karaoke around 9. As for the pool bars, they close around 5pm. The Fountain might be open late for burgers, as they serve dinner.

SUSHI - now that is worth the trip.

I stumbled across your thread a while back, before we decided to book the Suite. Thanks for helping me re-discover it...what a NICE room!

I think there may be several slightly different configurations for the Studio Suites. The floor plan on the S/D website (and other pics I've seen) show the entry door opening directly into the "dining area", but it looks like your Suite might have been set up a little differently. Was the pic you took with the closets on the right taken in the bathroom doorway? And was the entry door down and to the left? Also, did you have three windows in the room with the dining table...2 regular and one porthole?

We had a total of 4 windows, one being a porthole window in the area with the table & chairs. There was also a window above the couch (seen with my pink bag on it).

When we entered the room, the round table was to the left, bathroom/closet to the right.

The largest window faced the Dolphin.

I can't believe the pool bars close that early. :( We took this same late flight in October and were able to burgers and stuff by the pool at OKW.

I know. There are many who agree with you, including myself. I would think it would be a money maker. After the conventions let out, there are loads of people kicking back by the pool (and looking for a drink).
Remember, this is not Disney owned, so you won't find the same management practices as OKW.

knelson: Many say this is the best sushi at WDW. I believe the only other places are at Teppanyaki in Epcot, Wolfgang Puck at DTD, and California Grill at the CR (great to visit if you decide on WL). As it is, sushi is the main event at Kimonos, unlike the others I listed. The karaoke started there long ago, since these hotels do a big business from the Asian crowd. It is very popular.

That was my one "complaint" about the Dolphin, and I wrote it on my comment card.... I wished the pool bars were open later... the food and drinks are very enjoyable and the atmosphere is so relaxing.

We just returned from a 9 night stay at the Dolphin. We have stayed there many times w/the teacher's rate. However, this time we found our room to be VERY damp/humid with the a/c on or off. Made no difference. Everything always felt dampish. Also was not too happy with the $9 plus tax parking fee each night and additional fee for Health Club. I think they should have kept the resort fee. Other than that we enjoyed our stay at the Dolphin very much. I think I'd try the Swan next time.

Is there a microwave anywhere at the swan to use?

Sometimes I get the munchies and want to warm up some comfort food?

Thanks,

We just returned from a 9 night stay at the Dolphin. We have stayed there many times w/the teacher's rate. However, this time we found our room to be VERY damp/humid with the a/c on or off. Made no difference. Everything always felt dampish. Also was not too happy with the $9 plus tax parking fee each night and additional fee for Health Club. I think they should have kept the resort fee. Other than that we enjoyed our stay at the Dolphin very much. I think I'd try the Swan next time.

We spent 3 nights of our 10 nights at WDW at the Dolphin and I wanted to make some comments. This was our 5th stay there and our first "disappointing" stay. We stayed on the Teacher's rate of $169, but the 3rd night we were charged $254 (plus taxes, plus parking). When I called the Front Office I was told that because they were "near or at capacity", we were charged the higher rate. :eek: Well, my paperwork shows I get the lower rate all 3 nights so they did give me the lower rate, but I was surprised that they tried to charge us almost $100 more. :confused3

Also, there were a number of rooms being renovated - the problem was they were not confined to one area - 2 rooms here and there, which made the noise and construction dust/paint smell very unpleasant. The first room we got (9th floor East Wing) was next door to one of the rooms being renovated so we got moved. Our 2nd room was on the 8th floor (West Wing) 2 doors down from rooms being renovated. The room we had (which we kept) must be next in line for renovation - very "tired" looking; and the construction dust had made its way into that room (or they just hadn't dusted in months! :sad2:)

I still love the Dolphin, just didn't love this stay. :sad1:

We stayed on the Teacher's rate of $169, but the 3rd night we were charged $254 (plus taxes, plus parking). When I called the Front Office I was told that because they were "near or at capacity", we were charged the higher rate. :eek: Well, my paperwork shows I get the lower rate all 3 nights so they did give me the lower rate, but I was surprised that they tried to charge us almost $100 more. :confused3

YIKES! I'm not one to be shaken by negative comments, nor am I one to make negative posts in general...but this is (as I recall) the third post I've read in a month about unexpected, arbitrary, and unjustified overcharging at the S/D! That's a SERIOUS, SERIOUS problem for a hotel, and if we were not solidly committed to the Swan this time (mostly for $$ reasons), there's no doubt we'd change at this point.

I guess we'll just have to go with all our paperwork and a "forewarned is forearmed" attitude! Were you able to catch the mistake on the TV account page, or did you only notice it upon checkout?

I hope overall you had a great time, Laura;)

YIKES! I'm not one to be shaken by negative comments, nor am I one to make negative posts in general...but this is (as I recall) the third post I've read in a month about unexpected, arbitrary, and unjustified overcharging at the S/D! That's a SERIOUS, SERIOUS problem for a hotel, and if we were not solidly committed to the Swan this time (mostly for $$ reasons), there's no doubt we'd change at this point.

I guess we'll just have to go with all our paperwork and a "forewarned is forearmed" attitude! Were you able to catch the mistake on the TV account page, or did you only notice it upon checkout?

I hope overall you had a great time, Laura;)

Hi, Ronald Duck! Yes, we had a fabulous time! :cloud9: We didn't catch the mistake until we received the paperwork under our door. We had checked everything the night before, but they hadn't posted the final night's room charge yet. The first 2 nights were correct so I figured night 3 would be too! (Unlike the WDW resorts which charge the rooms at the beginning of your stay, Swan & Dolphin don't actually run the charges through until you check out.)

When I saw the error (around 7:30 a.m.), I called the Front Desk and they put me through to the Front Office. I will say that once David explained the higher charge to me and I stated that my confirmation showed all 3 nights at the discounted rate, he was very gracious in making the adjustment. :) I just checked my Amex account activity and the incorrect bill never posted to my account, the adjusted (correct) amount did! In their defense, they will correct their errors without any argument! :thumbsup2

And, although there was a huge group the last night ("Annual Research Meeting 2007"), the resort never felt crowded or full. So no worries! ;)

I will say that once David explained the higher charge to me and I stated that my confirmation showed all 3 nights at the discounted rate, he was very gracious in making the adjustment. :) I just checked my Amex account activity and the incorrect bill never posted to my account, the adjusted (correct) amount did! In their defense, they will correct their errors without any argument! :thumbsup2

I received a very apologetic call from a manager just two days ago. She was extremely sorry and actually told me she was embarrassed to even make this call due to all the issues we had during our week stay at the Swan - one problem included them charging me rack rate vs. my confirmed AP rate. Also, she told me the room we were in was an OLD room (she was VERY sorry we were put in that room, too - seems we shouldn't have been:sad2: ).....I guess that explains the worn carpet and filthy walls and hot/cold water reversed, lol.

You're right, Ronald Duck.....be prepared with your proof of rate/confirmation & check your bill and hope if there's any mistake somebody with authority to fix it is on duty.

Lives4Disney :)

Okay I have read all the comments about the Dolphin,My eyes are crossing I want this to be perfect .I have been talking to a rep from the hotel and she told me that the room I wanted King corner balcony room on the 9th floor is availabe. My hubby dosen't know I am doing this .SUPRISE.Never been to disney so you can see why I don't know about the hotel. Please help before I book this room?Thank's :scared1:

Okay I have read all the comments about the Dolphin,My eyes are crossing I want this to be perfect .I have been talking to a rep from the hotel and she told me that the room I wanted King corner balcony room on the 9th floor is availabe. My hubby dosen't know I am doing this .SUPRISE.Never been to disney so you can see why I don't know about the hotel. Please help before I book this room?Thank's :scared1:

When are you going and what rate are you being quoted? (if you don't mind my asking.) They're currently renovating rooms on the 7th, 8th and 9th floors (that I observed -- could be other floors too!) so if you're not going in the next several weeks, you'll probably have a newly refurbished room! :yay:

The Swan & Dolphin are really wonderful resorts. You can't beat the location and (as long as you're not paying rack) you can't beat the price! :)

Many of us here will be happy to answer any questions you have so please ask away!

Grammy-I think you will love it! As you can see in my signature, I have stayed at quite a few WDW resorts. The Dolphin is "up there" on my list of favorites, and we are doing a return trip this fall because we loved it so much. I think it would be perfect for your 35th anniversary trip. It is very magical and special without being TOO "in your face Disney!" Not that there is anything wrong with "in your face Disney.":goodvibes Sometimes I crave that on a family trip! But with just DH and I, I am sure we will be staying at the Dolphin or Swan again.

ESPECIALLY for a discounted price. I hope you got a good deal on that room! Post the price, and the experts here will tell you if it is a good rate, and if not, or if any are available for the time you are going!

Do you still have to pay the parking fee at Swan/Dolphin if you are not using a car? I thought I read that you did have to pay the fee whether you are using a car or not, but that they may have changed that policy.
Thanks, tink

Do you still have to pay the parking fee at Swan/Dolphin if you are not using a car? I thought I read that you did have to pay the fee whether you are using a car or not, but that they may have changed that policy.
Thanks, tink

No. They add parking priveleges to your room key if you want them. And then if you swipe the key at the parking lot once or more in 24 hrs, you are charged the $9 (is that the current rate?). Then the next day it starts over. No charges unless you swipe the card at the lot. You can go in and out multiple times per day with only the $9 per day.

I may start a new thread for this but for now I am posting it here. Are any of you familiar with Miss Thelma, the woman who works almost every night at Camp Dolphin? She is such a pleasure to deal with. I met her several years ago when my DD stayed at Camp Dolphin once while we dined at BZ. BTW, she has stayed at 4 other kid's clubs, and so far CD is her favorite!:thumbsup2

Anyway, during my last visit in early May, I went into Camp Dolphin right at opening, to go ahead and make my reservation for my DD while we are at PftS in September. There she was! So nice to see a familiar face. We chit chatted for quite awhile, I introduced her to my DH. We talked about V&A's (she went there for an anniversary once, I think it was her 30th) and we went there for the first time that trip for our 10 year anniversary. She joked that our "only child" might not be an "only" after our romantic trip! :love:

I just called there 5 minutes ago to confirm my reservation (I expect them to get full for PftS, and Sandcastle Club at the Y&BC, too. Just a heads up/tip if you are planning on attending PftS and need childcare.) She answered and we chatted again. Makes me so wistful and nostalgic to think of her, sitting in that spot at CD, right before the exit that leads to the cabana bar and grotto pool, and next to the health club. *sigh*

I can't wait til my next trip! I am trying to think of a small gift to get her. I mean something very small, just a token of my appreciation for being such a pleasure always. Any ideas?:confused3

Anyway, just wanted to give her some recognition, and if anyone is going soon, say hello to Miss Thelma!

Yes, I'm familiar with Thelma! She's a doll, isn't she! I have a photo of my boys sitting on her lap, but I don't want to post it without her permission.

We have a rate of 179.00 per room for our July trip (two rooms). I always take a copy of my confirmation with me showing the rate. I do this no matter where we're vacationing, that way you have proof, but, have never had a problem to need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter